Are we going to explore the universe when the Kingdom of God comes?

strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I do. Which is why I asked the question. :)
Whatever it is we will probably be engaged in countless activities to the Glory of God. And it will all be perfect, no sin, sorrow, depression, loneliness, etc...
I'm sure that it will be far better than we can hope to imagine. Actually, I'm sure it will. It will blow our minds. :D
Which makes me think that we might get to explore the universe. It's so vast and huge. But on the other hand, one verse makes this unclear to me.

Isaiah 60:19
The sun shall be no more your light by day, nor for brightness shall the moon give you light; but the LORD will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory.

If we are to take it literally then we won't explore the universe. There will be no more universe but we know that the creation will be redeemed. This is too complex to think about. :muahah:

Upvote 0

Thunder 88

Jan 5, 2012
Astral Plane
✟15,180.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I do. Which is why I asked the question. :)
Whatever it is we will probably be engaged in countless activities to the Glory of God. And it will all be perfect, no sin, sorrow, depression, loneliness, etc...
I'm sure that it will be far better than we can hope to imagine. Actually, I'm sure it will. It will blow our minds. :D
Which makes me think that we might get to explore the universe. It's so vast and huge. But on the other hand, one verse makes this unclear to me.

Isaiah 60:19
The sun shall be no more your light by day, nor for brightness shall the moon give you light; but the LORD will be your everlasting light, and your God will be your glory.

If we are to take it literally then we won't explore the universe. There will be no more universe but we know that the creation will be redeemed. This is too complex to think about. :muahah:

OK, let's take it literally. That doesn't mean we won't explore the universe, you have made a wrong assumption. It will just be our sun that is no more. It doesn't say every star in the universe will disappear.

Upvote 0

verysincere

Exegete/Linguist
Jan 18, 2012
Haiti
✟18,146.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe the universe is part of the physical realm and heaven is another dimension that we don't understand.

I'm inclined toward thinking likewise. Physicists theorize at least ten or eleven dimensions and it would certainly make sense that the writers of the Bible were very limited in what words from Ancient Hebrew and Greek they could utilize to express such concepts. So I have often wondered if the "spiritual realm" is a way of describing what is happening in some of the other dimensions. (Indeed, the idea of the post-resurrection Jesus walking through walls to meet with the Apostles sounds much less bizarre today in the light of modern physics than it did centuries ago.)

Upvote 0

strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Dimensions don't fit the Bible at all. Satan is called the prince of the air therefore as air is present in this dimension so is he. He is active in here, not divided with a dimensional wall. Dimensions basically can't even exist because it would be something like a reality within a reality, but that they are divided. Spiritual realm is invisible to us but it is here. If spiritual realm was divided from this one a spirit would be able to go literally where it wants to because the physical universe is what limits the physical. This is a little too complex to explain for someone who knows little about physics as me but I think that the Bible does perfectly well. According to it there are 3 heavens. I don't know what are the differences but I think I read somewhere that God is in the third heaven. Which makes no sense to me because God is omnipresent, hence He hears you praying wherever you go. ;)

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟9,658.00
Faith
Baptist
I think that heaven will consist of us praising God and Christ. I see no evidence in the Bible of us having agendas of our own or anything like that. I mean, it'd be super cool to explore the universe, but isn't that just our carnal desire to explore what we don't know?

I don't think that same desire will be there when we are in heaven praising Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pete_Martinez

May 1, 2010
✟15,524.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Rev 22:5 And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.

Rev 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
Rev 21:24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.
Rev 21:25 And the gates of it shall not be shut at all by day: for there shall be no night there.
Rev 21:26 And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.

These verses alone show that there will be a lot of activity happening. Not that spending eternity praising God will be boring. There are creatures who spend all of their time worshiping and never tire of it.

Our redeemed natures will finally allow us to finally do things we want to do without guilt, regret, and sin. There will be nothing that we will do that will take our minds away from God. That's why we shouldn't have many of the things we enjoy now. It distracts us.

Psa 16:11 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Rev 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:
Rev 6:10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?
Rev 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

These verses show that even when we die we don't just go into limbo and forget everything. These people not only care about what happened but care about what God is going to do about it.

I read this the other day and I found this encouraging...
Mat 6:19 "Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal,
Mat 6:20 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
Mat 19:21 Jesus said to him, "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."
Mat 19:27 Then Peter said in reply, "See, we have left everything and followed you. What then will we have?"
Mat 19:28 Jesus said to them, "Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
Mat 19:29 And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life.

Mat 16:24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
Mat 16:25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
Mat 16:26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?
Mat 16:27 For the Son of Man is going to come with his angels in the glory of his Father, and then he will repay each person according to what he has done.

A lot of the things we desire are not bad in themselves. But often we feel that heaven is so spiritual that it is wrong to want things. Which causes us to cling to this world since we can't have things in heaven right? So might as well enjoy it here while we can. (Observation made by me, not fact)

It's strange but it's that mentality that makes me want to hold on things for dear life. But when I feel that everything I give up now will be replaced later, I don't feel attached to them. I'm not saying i want a mansion with a big screen tv and 50,000 cars, i'm just saying i feel that when I say that when we go to heaven we'll play harps and fly on clouds it makes me want to enjoy all i can here on Earth before it's too late.

I know I'm going to get rebuked because it seems like I love things more than I love God but i'm just trying to show the mindset that many Christians in modern America have. Heaven is for churchy stuff, Earth is for fun stuff.

I haven't met too many Christians that were looking forward to heaven that weren't attached to material things.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on, but I'm pretty sure we'll have the ability to explore the universe.

Upvote 0

strelok0017

_______
Sep 23, 2011
✟13,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I don't imagine heaven as a churchy place. The creation will be redeemed, we will worship God constantly with every single activity that we engage in. He will be with us forever, it just has to (and will be) unimaginably glorious. He does say that we are to lay up for ourselves treasures in heaven. The biggest mistake we can do is think that we know what sorts of treasures those are. I'm sure that it will be infinitely better than anything we can have here, especially since the fact is that the treasure in His kingdom is safe. He is our treasure and He promised us great reward if we would persevere. It takes prayer, reading the Bible and meditating on it but the reward will make us forget absolutely everything that we ever sacrificed. Which makes me wonder but I know that it will be perfect. There is nothing on earth that gives as much joy and peace as knowing the King.

I've been wondering about the universe because it's sort of an enigma for us now. Let me rephrase that: it is an enigma. We barely know anything about it. This reminds me tho, is it wrong to explore the universe? The Bible says that it proclaims the glory of God, but can we take it to mean that the universe was created just to give us a picture of how big God is. And the universe is nothing compared to God and His glory but still, He might have just placed it there because He predetermined sin and stuff. But that theory falls to the water because universe was here before Adam sinned. Anyway, thanks a lot for the reply.

Blessings!

Upvote 0