California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Thanks. i finally figured out that i could just follow your links.

I also recommend a full reading of 2 Thessalonians 2. It seems Paul was addressing letters and words sent to them that caused fear that "the day of the Lord had come". He assured them that that day would not come until rebellion and the man of lawlessness happen first. This man is empowered by satan to oppose those who love wickedness and refuse saving truth. They will be hardened as they "had pleasure in unrighteousness."

So, whatever Paul reminded them of was the opposite of lawlessness, wickedness, and unrighteousness. I get the sense that Paul was telling them to remember what they were taught to abstain from so they wouldn't fall into rebellion.

20 Bible Verses about Abstinence - Important Scripture Quotes

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Hi Family,

As I look to the different denominations I see some riddled with traditions that some individuals find necessary to bless or to appease God.

Do we need these traditions?

Are we naive or small minded to place value on traditions?

Do traditions save you?

Are they necessary?

Why do traditions that are contradictory to the Word even allowed to continue?

~Natsumi Lam~
Hold Fast to the word and Traditions we have been taught(2 Thess 2:14-17)
Christ and the Apostles fully preached all the traditions we are to keep. If a Tradition is not written in scripture(spoken of by the Apostles) then we should not keep it. We are not to adopt any other traditions than the ones of God(Leviticus 18:2-4,Jer 10:2-3,8; Deut 12:29-32, 2 Cor 6:14-17, Eph 5:6-12). We are saved by faith alone through grace(Ephesians 2:8-9) but we are justified by our works(James 2; Ephesians 2:10). By following the commands of God and the traditions put in place by him we are justified under the law of Christ by our deeds(Colossians 3:17; 1 John 2:3-4) as we are judged by our works according to his word(2 Cor 5:10; Romans 2:16; Revelation 20:12-13).

The traditions of the Ungodly are only allowed to continue within certain Christian groups by the wills of both the ignorant and the unrighteous. The Lord's Church keeps no such traditions.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Where do you fall when it comes to Hail Mary and Our Fathers?
Is this addressed to everyone? By fall do you mean how do I stand on those traditions? If so my answer is that I don't follow anything but scripture.

• Agree
Reactions: Natsumi Lam
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you follow 2 Thess 2: 15?
So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.
Yes but those traditions are Paul's, not the RCC's. Notice it doesn't say RCC.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi Family,

As I look to the different denominations I see some riddled with traditions that some individuals find necessary to bless or to appease God.

Do we need these traditions?

Are we naive or small minded to place value on traditions?

Do traditions save you?

Are they necessary?

Why do traditions that are contradictory to the Word even allowed to continue?

~Natsumi Lam~
there is no such thing as a church without tradition. if there was no tradition there would be no church. tradition is a product of community, the moment a community starts to repeat something, even if its merely gathering on the same day or time, it an example of tradition. the gospel transcends tradition so the two can be compatible and we may use traditions as tools to approach God so long as we don't use tradition to replace Christ and continue to teach that Christ is the only way to the Father, not Christ + tradition.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
there is no such thing as a church without tradition. if there was no tradition there would be no church. tradition is a product of community, the moment a community starts to repeat something, even if its merely gathering on the same day or time, it an example of tradition. the gospel transcends tradition so the two can be compatible and we may use traditions as tools to approach God so long as we don't use tradition to replace Christ and continue to teach that Christ is the only way to the Father, not Christ + tradition.

Home churches are the first and the best. They come and go and have no traditional baggage.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Home churches are the first and the best. They come and go and have no traditional baggage.
except that the home church is the only model of church shown in the bible so arguably it is the most traditional. I agree I think the home church is the best model out there but just because it's in a home and there is no pomp and ceremony attached to it doesn't mean there is no tradition. What happens when you pray at a house church? do some dance around, some start eating, others stand on their head? Of course not, this would be utter nonsense and random, I suspect everyone pretty much does the same thing, and this "same thing" is a form of tradition.

Let's take one of those examples, what if someone decided to stand on their head during prayer would they be eventually confronted saying the way they pray is not in unity with others and is distracting? Well, what does it matter what they do, there is no tradition, so they may pray however they feel like praying.

Tradition helps balance and direct the community and allows people to feel more comfortable to enter into worship in unison. If everyone stands and raises their hands in prayer, and you do the same, you enter into a form of corporate worship and unity. On the flip side, if someone chooses to do something that is disharmonious to the community (say stand on their head during prayer) they are implicitly rejecting unity. Tradition is a powerful thing and proclaims the gospel when the focus is right.

Reactions: seeking.IAM
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
except that the home church is the only model of church shown in the bible so arguably it is the most traditional. I agree I think the home church is the best model out there but just because it's in a home and there is no pomp and ceremony attached to it doesn't mean there is no tradition. What happens when you pray at a house church? do some dance around, some start eating, others stand on their head? Of course not, this would be utter nonsense and random, I suspect everyone pretty much does the same thing, and this "same thing" is a form of tradition.

Let's take one of those examples, what if someone decided to stand on their head during prayer would they be eventually confronted saying the way they pray is not in unity with others and is distracting? Well, what does it matter what they do, there is no tradition, so they may pray however they feel like praying.

Tradition helps balance and direct the community and allows people to feel more comfortable to enter into worship in unison. If everyone stands and raises their hands in prayer, and you do the same, you enter into a form of corporate worship and unity. On the flip side, if someone chooses to do something that is disharmonious to the community (say stand on their head during prayer) they are implicitly rejecting unity. Tradition is a powerful thing and proclaims the gospel when the focus is right.

I would never raise my hands in prayer. Prayer is never supposed to be in public. And so many of the worst prayers are. The closest I allow is to be silent when others do. But I'd prefer not to be that public.

And I'd never prohibit any kind of any prayer, even during cartwheels or nude dancing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would never raise my hands in prayer. Prayer is never supposed to be in public.
The closest I allow is to pray silently when others do. But I'd prefer not to be that public.
so your [hypethetical] house church doesn't pray corporately? The Lord's prayers starts corporately saying "Our Father..." not "My Father..." literally the Greek says "Father of us"

Reactions: Ttalkkugjil
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so your [hypethetical] house church doesn't pray corporately? The Lord's prayers starts corporately saying "Our Father..." not "My Father..." literally the Greek says "Father of us"
The home churches I've been to do have silent prayer, which I don't pray during.
The Lords prayer specifically says pray "like" this, specifically speaking out against prayers repeated in public in the paragraph before.
The Lords Prayer is a format to follow and not to repeat.

Upvote 0