Are Tracts Effective Witnessing Tools?

HolySpiritWOF

Jan 22, 2011
✟16,223.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
i have had awesome effectiveness using tracts.....

1. as an icebreaker..... leading to a 5 minute gospel message / salvation invitation....

2. or as a read-later-get-saved message for those who can't or won't stop to talk....

i think it is the billy graham assoc that said that for every 10 GOSPEL tracts that are handed out 6 salvations result.....

i can attest to similar results.....

i think the CONTENT makes a difference..... the GOSPEL is the POWER of GOD to the SALVATION of men.....

if it IS the clear GOSPEL.... what JESUS did..... why JESUS did it..... JESUS' invitation..... and what do you want to do about JESUS' invitation..... (no fluff or stuff).... it would have more than enough POWER in it to get anyone saved by just reading it..... especially if the tracts are prayed over by laying hands ahead of time like prayer cloths etc to be anointed and given to others....

i GOSPELize in the same areas and have opportunity to meet the same people repeatedly..... they come up to me just to say hi..... i ask them how they are doing and did they read the tract i gave them?.... they say yeah..... i say did you pray the prayer.... they say yeah..... (never had one person say NO yet).... i say have you noticed anything different?.... they say yeah..... and then testify to some life-change..... like.... quit taking drugs..... happier..... or some other miracle-type testimony....

also i got saved by a 4 spiritual laws tract..... i had NEVER heard a clear presentation of the gospel until i got that tract..... and i actually.... i didn't really understand it very well.... but the GOSPEL was powerful enough to WIN me despite my limited understanding of what it said.... actually the tract caused me to ask the giver how it works so that i could understand it....

now i use a VERY clear concise version of a GOSPEL tract with a clear concise salvation prayer at the end.... it seems to work the best in my experience....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HolySpiritWOF

Jan 22, 2011
✟16,223.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
yep.... you are so right..... HE is the SAVIOR WHO SAVES..... hallelujah..... and does HE ever do an excellent job..... we do our little part (as co-laborers with HIM).... and HE does HIS AWESOME part...... which ONLY HE can do..... hallelujah..... we serve an awesome GOD.....

actually it is the preaching of the GOSPEL that leads people to the GOD WHO saves them....

paul said if they do not hear they cannot be saved..... if no one preaches they cannot hear.... if no one is sent they cannot preach.....

preaching the GOSPEL by.... in-person..... TV..... radio..... GOSPEL tracts..... DVD..... MOVIES..... cassettes..... billboards..... etc....etc....etc..... paul says i use whatever means possible..... and paul says follow me as i follow the LORD..... whatever the WORD and the HOLY SPIRIT lead is ALWAYS going to produce HUMONGOUS results....

so it is a multi step process..... which in it's entirety leads people to the GOD that loves them enough to have died for them..... and then HE SAVES them...... hallelujah......

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HolySpiritWOF

Jan 22, 2011
✟16,223.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
yeah..... that was for GOSPEL tracts though.... tracts that gave a clear presentation of the GOSPEL and then the salvation prayer..... so that people truly had a chance to get saved....

i have seen lots of tracts that said all kinds of stuff.... but wasn't what i would call a GOSPEL presentation..... billy graham ALWAYS presents the GOSPEL.... and ALWAYS invites people to take JESUS as their personal LORD and SAVIOR.....

tl osborn says the simpler the GOSPEL the better the results.....

so yeah..... GOSPEL tracts end up 6 salvations out of every 10 tracts..... pretty awesome for people who don't feel comfortable speaking yet have a strong desire to present the GOSPEL.....

and my experience matches that..... GOSPEL tracts do work that well.... in fact i was surprised at how many people WANTED to talk to me and tell me that they prayed the prayer on the tract..... thanking me for being so bold and kind and non-pushy and respectful about sharing the GOSPEL tract..... and WANTING to tell me that they prayed the salvation prayer....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HolySpiritWOF

Jan 22, 2011
✟16,223.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
i also believe a loving PRINTED GOSPEL presentation and a loving in-person treatment of people is important too....

and i would have to say that that is how billy graham acts.... he is so loving..... expressing GOD'S love and truth in such a way that people WANT what he is talking about.... he does clearly mention sin and JESUS saving us..... but he does it with such love that you can feel the love of GOD.....

that is also said of arthur blessed by james robison..... he said he was out street evangelizing with arthur blessed.... arthur was behind him going down the street.... james would try to present the GOSPEL and salvation prayer.... but hardly no one would accept....

and then james would look behind him and see arthur praying the salvation prayer with the person who was crying and receiving JESUS with their whole heart.....

james asked GOD..... what's going on?..... i talked to those people too.... why didn't they respond to me?.... and the HOLY SPIRIT said.... because you don't love them with MY LOVE like arthur does.....

EVERY profoundly successful soulwinner that i know is just oooozing with the love of GOD..... it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to resist the POWER of the GOSPEL coming from the mouth of someone like that.....

Proverbs 11:30
New American Standard Bible
The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, And he who is wise wins souls.
New King James Version
The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life, And he who wins souls is wise.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+11:29-31&version=NKJV

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
personally I tend to tiff them, or use them to line the bottom of my rats cage.

Remember that on Judgement Day.

Revelation 20:11-16

11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2006
✟7,926.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just started doing tracts again, and I'm very disappointed (and frankly angered and disgusted) to see all the people who discourage and knock tracts. This sounds like another 'Christian debate' that takes us off track from what is really important, which is reaching the lost in any way possible to save them from eternal damnation. I'm sure the enemy is happy that there are Christians who would discourage others from reaching the lost with these tools while there are millions are going to punishment forever and ever and ever. I guess this really frustrates me.

For those who say it's just a piece of paper...what is the Bible itself written on? Have you read the Scriptures, Christian books, or any other written forms of Christian literature? Why would you read those materials if they were not effective? Of course God can speak through tracts, donkeys, music, friends, miracles, TV shows, or whatever else he wants to use. Duh.

And why do companies spend billions of dollars in printed advertising materials every year? "It's not personal enough?"...bull hockey. Companies pay big money to put stuff on billboards, flyers, magazines, direct mail, etc. Apparently they think it is an effective method for reaching their customers and getting their message out. So why wouldn't the same principle work for God's people to get His message out? I guess it's true that the "children of this world are wiser than the children of light".

Of course I think there are some tracts that are junk. Some seem too gimmicky or have too much fine print for my taste, and I get concerned whether people actually read them or take them seriously. I personally look for tracts that are straightforward, easy to understand, and that lead the reader to a clear action. I think the Chick tracts and Ron Wheeler's cartoons (esp Heaven's Gate) give the message in a clear way that people can understand and actually read. But I suppose that is personal preference.

A guy handed me a Gideons bible on my college campus many years ago. I didn't instantly get saved that minute, but several other things came together at that same time, and I came to Christ later that month. I don't even remember talking with the guy, but I did feel that he 'cared' enough to stand on a street corner in the cold and give me something that I needed, for free.

It is scattering seed. Of course people are not going to fall to their knees and cry out to God right there, but it puts a stone in their shoe that they have to deal with. Some of the seed will grow. Some will not. Some of us plant seeds and others water, but God gives the increase. It is likely that God has to speak to a person several times before they answer the call. That doesn't mean that we should do nothing, or that our efforts are worthless.

With all that said, I am very concerned about people who would discourage other believers from using an effective tool for Christ. Use tracts, your testimony, or whatever else God gives you to save people from eternity in the lake of fire. If preaching and sharing your faith works for you, then do it. But don't discourage others who are doing their part in the kingdom. Plant seeds and spread the gospel. If I can possibly save a few souls from eternity in hell for 15 cents or even a few dollars, then why would I be a naysayer to that?

Upvote 0

amr723

Nov 6, 2011
✟7,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I might offer one additional comment to this discussion... Tracts can be a useful tool, but they cannot take the place of the person who gives out the tract. Unfortunately, I think that some people think that handing out the tract can take the place of witnessing. I was raised in church, so I do not know what it was like to live without that in my life (thank God), but I worked as a waitress to save money for college when I was in high school. Quite frequently, customers would leave tracts either for tips or with tips on the table.

Now, what the customers did not often consider, I suppose, is that the way they had acted prior to leaving the tract was a major part of the testimony they had given. For me, already having a relationship with Christ, I could encounter a rude customer who left me a tract in place of a tip and not be swayed in my faith. However, I worked with other waitresses who did not know Christ. When this happened, they would say, "Oh, well there you go. Another example of those hypocritical Christians." I would try to explain that was not a true representation, but it was very hard to overcome that kind of thing, especially when it happened rather frequently. I think if you are going to use tracts, you cannot use them in place of payment for a service. Remember that waitresses do make less than minimum wage, so it is not ethical to walk away without tipping if good service was given. Also, if you are going to establish yourself as a Christian by leaving a tract on the table, you should interact as a Christian in all your interactions. You should treat the waitress with respect and kindness, imagining that Christ might be sitting at the table beside you, watching. Everything you do is part of your witnessing.

Upvote 0

jsrdrnr

Mar 19, 2011
Virginia
✟7,757.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
amr723 said:
If I might offer one additional comment to this discussion... Tracts can be a useful tool, but they cannot take the place of the person who gives out the tract. Unfortunately, I think that some people think that handing out the tract can take the place of witnessing. I was raised in church, so I do not know what it was like to live without that in my life (thank God), but I worked as a waitress to save money for college when I was in high school. Quite frequently, customers would leave tracts either for tips or with tips on the table.

Now, what the customers did not often consider, I suppose, is that the way they had acted prior to leaving the tract was a major part of the testimony they had given. For me, already having a relationship with Christ, I could encounter a rude customer who left me a tract in place of a tip and not be swayed in my faith. However, I worked with other waitresses who did not know Christ. When this happened, they would say, "Oh, well there you go. Another example of those hypocritical Christians." I would try to explain that was not a true representation, but it was very hard to overcome that kind of thing, especially when it happened rather frequently. I think if you are going to use tracts, you cannot use them in place of payment for a service. Remember that waitresses do make less than minimum wage, so it is not ethical to walk away without tipping if good service was given. Also, if you are going to establish yourself as a Christian by leaving a tract on the table, you should interact as a Christian in all your interactions. You should treat the waitress with respect and kindness, imagining that Christ might be sitting at the table beside you, watching. Everything you do is part of your witnessing.

Said pretty much how I would have said it. Tracts can give you structure as you share Christ, but lifestyle will always speak louder than words!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MPaul

Covered by the Blood
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Tracts are very effective if they are anointed. They must have a very good line of reasoning or argument, which has to be empowered by the Holy Spirit. Evangelism and revival always needs the anointing of the Holy Spirit. However, there is always a body of Christians and church leaders who oppose anything that truly works in evangelism, simply because they shun the anointing of the Spirit and change the concept into something worldly, just as the Pharisees, the leaders of the people of God in the first century, rejected the message of Christ.

And note the role that tracts played in bringing about the Reformation. But they were only that powerful because they were highly effective in communication – or that is, they presented a good argument concisely. They set out the truth in a powerful way, and then, the Holy Spirit touched them.

I can think of a book that was written in the 19th century that is truly anointed and has caused revival to occur extensively in the United States and throughout the world, by setting out the most important principles involved in evangelizing. But I cannot cite the name of it, or all kinds of posters will come in and condemn it as a work of Satan. That is just the way the Christian community is. But that book has an anointing, and tracts should be chosen with such an anointing. Do not use just any tracts... look for ones that are anointed.

On my website I have a link to three tracts I have written that people can print at home – one deals with a blood covenant with Jesus Christ; one with refuting Darwin; and one with proving the bible is the Word of God. In truth, it took decades to understand how to set them out, and they have a primary appeal to a particular type of mind set in our society, but a very, very important one. They can be given out as a three part set, or individually, depending on what the distributor wants to accomplish. They can be left anywhere. I give them out usually, after a person gets to know me in some capacity, which gives him/her an impetus for reading.

However, I'm not certain how to go about praying for their anointing. I mean I have said general prayers, but I wonder if I should not be doing something more in prayer.

BTW, you can find my tracts by going to my website, scrolling down, and looking in the right column for the first brown box with yellow and white writing.
Here is the link to the site -- http://loveofchrist.info/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
People don't win souls. The Holy Spirit does. Humans are just an instrument.

And so are tracts. Tracts are a great instrument God uses to spread his Word. You are completely clueless about tracts. They are very effective. Do some research on your own and see how many people God saved through a tract.

We evangelize 2-3 times a week on the streets and college campuses. Tracts are a great conversation starter, where you can share your faith with someone one to one. We set up booths, hand out tracts, talk one to one and open air.

It is a way we get people to stop and talk. The ones that don't, at least take one with them as they leave and the rest is in God's hands.

So, how many times do you open your mouth and witness to people?

Upvote 0

Aibrean

Honest. Maybe too Honest.
Mar 18, 2007
Xenia, Ohio
Visit site
✟23,379.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
God didn't save them through a tract. My theology supports that God has saved everyone already, they only receive that salvation by grace through faith. The Holy Spirit does the work, not a piece of paper.

I am very open about my faith and discuss it quite often. I don't need a piece of paper to do it. Discipleship is more effective in my opinion. You can tell someone, send them on their way, never talk to them, and all you have done is plant a seed in rocky ground without assuring it will have water to grow.

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0

MPaul

Covered by the Blood
Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
✟8,674.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
God didn't save them through a tract. My theology supports that God has saved everyone already, they only receive that salvation by grace through faith. The Holy Spirit does the work, not a piece of paper.

I am very open about my faith and discuss it quite often. I don't need a piece of paper to do it. Discipleship is more effective in my opinion. You can tell someone, send them on their way, never talk to them, and all you have done is plant a seed in rocky ground without assuring it will have water to grow.

OK, that is your honest opinion. Actually, there has always been a very strong faction in the church, if not a the majority, that has preached Christians should never witness, because it is all up to the Holy Spirit. Then, just make sure you never give anyone a tract or witness to anyone. However, because revivals always occur only after preaching the Gospel, the rest of us will keep giving out the tracts and witnessing.

Matthew 28:29 -- Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Romans 10:14,15 -- How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Upvote 0