Naha
✟18,061.00
Country
Japan
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand and believe the Bible is God-Breathed, however over all the years, has there been any errors in the Bible, due to translation or any other reasons?
It seems that there are one or two such number discrepancies due to transcriber error in the OT.

There is also a seeming error which hides a secret about Solomon's temple. I didn't discover it, but it points to how the ark of the covenant was saved from the Babylonian destruction and export of all temple goods. This is an interesting study since it discloses ancient technology.

We also have other seeming errors. One such that atheists might trounce on because of not knowing better is where in one gospel Jesus is seen entering Jericho, while in another about the same account he leaves the city of Jericho. The answer was that at that time we had two adjacent cities separated by a small distance both named Jericho so that one apostle looked at it as entering and the other as leaving.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I understand and believe the Bible is God-Breathed, however over all the years, has there been any errors in the Bible, due to translation or any other reasons?
Welcome to the forums! and a good question.

There have been some transmission errors as evidenced by variants in the different manuscripts.

Do they doctrinally amount to anything? Not really.

Where the errors have come in is from bad interpretation and a lack of understanding of late 2nd temple Judaism; the religious backdrop in doctrine, practice and (even more importantly,) in mindset and worldview; to the Gospels and the Epistles.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
If God didn't care enough to preserve an inerrant Bible, why do you assume that He cared enough to initially inspire an inerrant Bible? Why do you assume that some of the obvious contradictions can be explained by copying errors rather than authorial errors? Actually, there are many errors in the Bible. As someone who once championed an infallible Bible and derived great inspiration from it, my reluctant realization of a Bible with many errors was one of the most emotionally searing experiences of my life. But in my surrender to Christ's Lordship, I needed at least to be as honest as I could be.

• Prayers
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Does that mean some verses lost their meanings over the years?
Yes. Verses, Words, Phrases, Paragraphs, Chapters, or Topics/ Subjects/ Ideas.

And why couldn't God through ... inspire the writers and translators to put the correct and proper words?

YHWH Guarded His Word and knew always (before even the world was created)
every nuance, every comma, every period, every answer and every question that would ever be changed and how it would be changed.

He is DELIGHTED to REVEAL HIS SALVATION IN JESUS and Everything concerning SALVATION ,
to little children who TRUST and RELY ON HIM joyously with abandon and freedom and carefree totality.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I read the John MacArthur Study Bible (ESV)
That Bible I cannot comment on, never have seen it.
Look up and search a week or two as needed, online, about who it is named after though.
(Be Honest and Diligent in Searching)

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I wouldn’t say there is errors, some translations just are more difficult to understand with modern mind.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In its presentation of he gospel, and matters of faith and morals, the Bible is without error. But there are errors of science and history, as well as internal inconsistencies.

Is the virgin birth (incarnation of God the Son into human form) an "error in history or science" in your POV

and bodily resurrection of Christ "an error in science or history" in your POV??
Miracles of Christ "an error in science" in your POV??
7 day creation week - and Exodus 20:11 "an error in science" in your POV?
Bodily ascension of Christ into heaven - an 'error in science" in your POV?
Fall of man an error in history... no real Adam, no Garden of Eden? No sinless humans with access to the tree of life? In your POV?
No Adam living over 900 years even after the fall an error in history - in your POV?
No world wide flood, no Noah's ark with only 8 humans surviving for all of planet Earth in your POV?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If God didn't care enough to preserve an inerrant Bible, why do you assume that He cared enough to initially inspire an inerrant Bible? Why do you assume that some of the obvious contradictions can be explained by copying errors rather than authorial errors? .

Why not suppose that the virgin birth, bodily resurrection, bodily ascension and miracles of Christ are not also 'more errors' once you descend down that road?

Is there "any limit" at that point?

Darwin asked himself that question and ended up rejecting the entire Bible.
Dawkins did the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Is the virgin birth and bodily resurrection of Christ "an error in science" in your POV??
No. Although it might be one in a gazillion, the virgin birth does not contradict science.

Yes, a literal (rather than figurative) reading of Genesis absolutely contradicts what we scientifically know about Creation. The earth, for example, is 5.4 billion years old, and it is a fact that God used evolution as his means of creating different species. Now is natural selection the driving force behind evolution? That part is theoretical.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No. Although it might be one in a gazillion, the virgin birth does not contradict science.

Tells us how often "science notices that the Holy Spirit causes a virgin to conceive God the Son in human form" -- the incarnation

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is the virgin birth (incarnation of God the Son into human form) an "error in history or science" in your POV

and bodily resurrection of Christ "an error in science or history" in your POV??
Fall of man an error in history... no real Adam, no Garden of Eden? No sinless humans with access to the tree of life? In your POV?
No Adam living over 900 years even after the fall an error in history - in your POV?
No world wide flood, no Noah's ark with only 8 humans surviving for all of planet Earth in your POV?

Yes, a literal (rather than figurative) reading of Genesis absolutely contradicts what we scientifically know about Creation. The earth, for example, is 5.4 billion years old, and it is a fact that God used evolution as his means of creating different species.

How "odd" that God did not notice that when telling Moses the real history of how all life on Earth came about.

7 day creation week - and Exodus 20:11 "an error in science" in your POV? (Error you say?) -- notice that God also "got it wrong" in legal code Exodus 20:11 according to your speculation -- in that case.

7 day creation week - and Exodus 20:11 "an error in science" in your POV? (Thanks for your answer on this one)

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
There are websites that will ban a person for answering "yes" to this question.

Upvote 0