are there any Christians who dont believe in tatoos here

Jack Russell

May 1, 2014
✟175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm late to the party. Read through 15 pages and decided that was enough and now will contribute. I was a tattoo artist in street shops in the northeast and the south for over 20 years.

In one shop I worked in the owner was a deacon in a Baptist congregation. He had no visible tattoos, they were covered by a short sleeved shirt. When a member of his church would ask,"What do you do ?", he would reply, I'm a tattoo artist. They would think he was kidding them.

When he assured them that he was not they gave him the verse in Leviticus 19:28 . He would tell them to go and read the entire book of Leviticus and then "come back to me and we can discuss it." This happened several times and no one ever came back to discuss it.

I would love to discuss Leviticus with him. But I would never discuss tattoos at church because I think it's a sensitive subject and most people with tattoos have some kind of regret, they might get defensive, and I really wouldn't want to bother someone about tattoos at church.

But online is a different story! lol

But seriously, to play devil's advocate, or perhaps Leviticus advocate, I might ask that Christian tattoo artist what he does when someone wants him to do a tattoo of a naked girl, a skull, or something Satanic or otherwise offensive. These are three of the five most popular tattoos out there.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have no regrets about getting it. At the time I was struggling with my faith and it helped solidify it. Now God uses it as a tool for His glory along with everything I have overcome in my life. I am a walking testament of God's love, Grace, forgiveness and glory.

Seems to me that you have a lot of company among Christian women - and men - who are tattooed with no regrets.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have one but I want at least one more. It's of a celtic cross. Yellow in the center and green spreading through out the rest of the cross. It has the words "Sola Fide" meaning Soley by faith and Ep. 2:8. My friend and I decided to have similar cross only hers was "Sola Gratia". They are so cool. She has more than I do, but just wait till I figure out what I want to do then I'll have more!
Sounds like you ladies have found an effective means of Gospel testimony, which are proven conversation-starters!

Upvote 0
May 29, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟15,571.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am going to be honest because I feel like I never can be. I don't believe God likes tatoos. Why because it says he doesn't in the Bible... "You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord."and before you go and tell me" well that was the law of moses and blah blah blah", concider wGoodhat God is saying and also what other things he says is an abomination too, like having sex with your daughter in law, having sex with an animal, obviously these things are NOT okay. although I agree that there are the washings and sacrifices that dont need to be done anymore and those are legalism, but look at some of them and see that even Christ told us to follow. Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I guess you just have to look at why God commanded them and pray about it. anywho please message me if you agree. I dont even want to come back to this thread cause i know im going to get a ton of poeple attacking me and stuff.

First, 25+ pages of replies -- Too Long Didn't Read.

Second, "I know I'm going to get a ton of people attacking me and stuff!" feels like a low blow. This way of communicating is very defensive and offensive at the same time.

The manner in which this apparent "Bomb" gets dropped sounds like the original posting may have created the same havoc the original poster seeks to avoid.

Anyhoo...

I also believe that the devil is the only one celebrating when a person get's a tattoo. It is demonically driven... not God ordained.

Why is Satan having a blast when a person gets a tattoo?

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My son has a tattoo on his back, an aeroplane propeller with his son's names on the two blades, but no one really sees them. His wife has her whole back covered and one leg and thigh. They aren't seen much either. My daughter has a lovely unicorn on her ankle, and a peace sign on the top of one arm...which I don't particularly like...and she's thinking of getting her sons names on the top of her other arm. Her husband has something on his shoulder. They don't bother me much one way or the other, I don't particularly like them on females, but for blokes they're ok. If you want them to make you look rough....

Well, it's something that a lot of females do now. I guess it could be said that it gives a sort of rugged confidence to the wearer. A lot of Christians seems to find faith based ink to be an effective, conversation-starting witness aid.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd rather err on the side of caution. I have tattoos but I don't plan on getting any more and I'd like to have the ones I have removed. The plainly speaks against it. I got mine when I just wanted to do what I wanted to do rather than following the Lord's word. Now I know better.
:thumbsup: Be blessed.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I am going to be honest because I feel like I never can be. I don't believe God likes tatoos. Why because it says he doesn't in the Bible... "You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord."and before you go and tell me" well that was the law of moses and blah blah blah", concider what God is saying and also what other things he says is an abomination too, like having sex with your daughter in law, having sex with an animal, obviously these things are NOT okay. although I agree that there are the washings and sacrifices that dont need to be done anymore and those are legalism, but look at some of them and see that even Christ told us to follow. Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I guess you just have to look at why God commanded them and pray about it. anywho please message me if you agree. I dont even want to come back to this thread cause i know im going to get a ton of poeple attacking me and stuff.

PERSONALLY, I don't think tatoos are sinful or wrong. Just ugly and stupid.

But hey.... whatever floats your boat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd rather err on the side of caution. I have tattoos but I don't plan on getting any more and I'd like to have the ones I have removed. The plainly speaks against it. I got mine when I just wanted to do what I wanted to do rather than following the Lord's word. Now I know better.
teesocray:

Some Christians certainly do prefer not to have any. Some Christians do find that faith based ones (Bible verse or ref. on wrist, Christian fish sign <><, etc.) are effective conversation starters in witness. Some Christians find that getting existing ones modified - if doable - is also the way to go, alternatively; e.g., a woman tattooed with an ex-bf's name such as 'Bill' might choose to have the 'Bill' turned into 'Bible', or whatever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I had a very SMALL one removed via a series of laser treatments. It cost 10 times as much as the original tattoo, and hurt 100 times worst than getting the tattoo! ... I've decided to keep the rest....my tattoo's might JUST be my way to reach some lost folk!
Yes, anyway, you as a discreetly tattooed woman seem to be motivated to do what many Christians do: use existing faith based tattoos as a witness aid.

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow. 51 pages. Not going to read through them all and anything I might add probably already has been. But I can't resist.

The Bible discourages us from producing 'graven images'. And it also discourages us from WORSHIPING graven images.

I'm 54 years old. And over the years I have actually payed attention to those around me that chose to have their skins "inked". The conclusion is that it is MOST often some sort of 'WORSHIP' of 'someTHING' that leads one to have an image GRAVEN into their SKIN. Some important MESSAGE that they FEEL they NEED to offer those that SEE their 'graven image'.

Could be a 'sports team', someone 'special' in their lives, a habit, addiction, heck, to me the most common is a "false god". You know, like a 'rock band' or particular SUBVERSIVE individual or even depiction of Christ or even some form of GOD, (demons, Satan, the Devil, etc.........).

I don't come to this discussion completely IGNORANT. Having lived a pretty subversive life for my first 30 odd years, MOST everyone I KNOW has a tattoo of one sort or another if not a BUNCH of them. I have ONE myself. SELF administered. And I KNOW WHY I decided to scar myself in such a manner.

If we aren't even suppose to make graven images, then it is APPARENT, obvious that according to the Bible, tattooing one's flesh is NOT a 'good thing'. The Bible encourages us NOT to DO such things.

And then there is the matter of HOW we are BORN. It is my opinion that those that choose to alter their physical makeup with tattoos, piercings, cutting themselves with razors to leave scars, nose jobs, liposuction, etc.......,(I think you get MY drift), do so at least partially out of PURE vanity. And in their attempts to fulfill their own vanity, in essence, they are TELLING God that the manner in which He chose for them to be formed ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH. One that chooses to alter their physical makeup in such a manner is basically telling God that they are NOT satisfied with the manner in which He DESIGNED them and they want a part in their OWN 'creation'. In other words, they are NOT going to be told by ANYONE that they have a MASTER. They are going to SHOW the world that they can do things THEIR way and no matter what, are going to do what they are able to PROVE it. Rebellious children, nothing MORE, nothing LESS.

When I was growing up, ABOUT the ONLY people that had tattoos were Sailors, Bikers, Carnies and harlots. And when you think about it, these were some of the MOST subversive members of society. Vagabonds, tramps, gypsies, people with NO permanent address. It all kind of adds up to REBELS. Rebelling NOT merely against the 'system', but against the WORLD itself. And what BETTER way to show one's disdain for the world and everyone in it than to put POSTERS on one's body that FORCE anyone in their presence to WITNESS them? Same thing with piercings. I find them OFFENSIVE personally. Even pierced ears on a woman take away what I consider femininity and force a woman to treat their bodies as men have so often done.

No where in the Bible are women instructed to treat their ears in the manner that Abraham was instructed to treat the penis of the members of his tribe.

And if we study the history of tattoos and body modification, (we find EXCLUSIVELY), that the ancients that practiced such ritual DID so for RELIGIOUS reasons. They didn't simply have a DESIRE to put ART on their bodies. When ancient tribes and peoples did these things, it was for some RELIGIOUS purpose.

And that leads to what the Bible offers concerning tattooing and CUTTING the body on purpose. The Bible INDICATES that it cannot be done in TRUTH except for a "RELIGIOUS" reason. It doesn't matter that people have LOST their MINDS or ability to REASON. And it doesn't matter WHY people SAY they do what they DO. The Bible basically instructs us as to the REASON regardless of whether one understands it or accepts it.

You know, you can tell me that you drink alcohol because you LIKE the taste. But I would call you a LIAR. You may like the taste of alcohol, but that is NOT the REASON that you drink it.

That would be like saying "I shoot heroine because i like the color of it in the spoon".

People DRINK and people SHOOT heroine in GET HIGH. They may LIKE other aspects of the ritual, but the REASON is to 'get high'.

And tattooing works the SAME way. There is a REASON that any and EVERYONE that chooses to maim their flesh DOES SO. And it's not because it's 'pretty' or they 'just feel like it'. Those are basically words offered by someone that simply doesn't RECOGNIZE or ADMIT the REASON. There is an UNDERLYING reason for tattoos that exists in the hearts of ANY and EVERYONE that chooses to have one placed upon their bodies. And it's the SAME reason that the Bible basically outlines. And you don't really need to be a 'rocket scientist' to UNDERSTAND the REASON God commanded HIS children NOT to DO such things. But you DO need to be a bit 'Spiritual' or at least be able to HEED conviction OF the Spirit.

Blessings,

MEC

Upvote 0

Imagican

old dude
Jan 14, 2006
Orlando, Florida
✟45,021.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh, and let me add: I do NOT believe that someone having a tattoo placed upon their skin is going to DOOM their soul for eternity, NECESSARILY. But I will add that EACH thing we do that is contrary to that which is POSITIVE 'gets in the way'.

We each have a WALK, (our journey through this life). And the negative things we allow ourselves to partake in as we travel down our path are certainly able to IMPEDE our progress or even lead us down the WRONG path.

It is MY perception that once we begin to profess to be FOLLOWERS, it is not the TRUTH if we DON'T follow. And it is UTTERLY contrary to positive witness or testimony to PROFESS to be a follower of Christ when in TRUTH we are following ANY or EVERYTHING but.

Just my four cents worth.

Blessings,

MEC

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Imagican: Hi there; interesting points. I sort of agree with some of them.

Fact is, that a large proportion of preachers' wives and daughters (godly women for the most part) do stud their ears, paint their lips, etc. A lot of Christians do find that a cross, or Christian fish sign <><, or Bible ref. on their wrist, etc. can be a helpful witness tool.

Blessings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kentrasso

Mar 9, 2015
✟8,126.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
The issue about tattoo is not in the old testaments but in the new where Paul writes to corinthians and said our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit.

Also, why tattoo? To be like the world? Paul says "we have not so learned Christ". Does making marks on your body take you to heaven? Does it convince the sinners that they should turn from their wicked ways?
These are the things we should think on

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The issue about tattoo is not in the old testaments but in the new where Paul writes to corinthians and said our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit.

Also, why tattoo? To be like the world? Paul says "we have not so learned Christ". Does making marks on your body take you to heaven? Does it convince the sinners that they should turn from their wicked ways?
These are the things we should think on
The verse you mention is a general principle and does not mention tattoos.

Many Christians find that a modest faith based design can be effective in personal witness.

Upvote 0

SaintJoeNow

Mar 4, 2015
USA
✟3,191.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I am going to be honest because I feel like I never can be. I don't believe God likes tatoos. Why because it says he doesn't in the Bible... "You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord."and before you go and tell me" well that was the law of moses and blah blah blah", concider what God is saying and also what other things he says is an abomination too, like having sex with your daughter in law, having sex with an animal, obviously these things are NOT okay. although I agree that there are the washings and sacrifices that dont need to be done anymore and those are legalism, but look at some of them and see that even Christ told us to follow. Matthew 5:17 Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I guess you just have to look at why God commanded them and pray about it. anywho please message me if you agree. I dont even want to come back to this thread cause i know im going to get a ton of poeple attacking me and stuff.

The Bible is clearly against tattoos. Not too long ago, tattoos being right or wrong would be a question rarely asked. It's wrong, and until recently, the vast majority of people knew it. A series of events in modern history made them popular in America, and a lot of that popularization came from military people who picked up the practice from foreign lands. I really believe the common acceptance of tattooing is a way of softening people up to make them more tolerating when they are told they have to receive the mark of the beast in their right hand or forehead.

It is demonic to for any reason do anything that causes pain to your body...passively taking the pain for no good reason, not working, not accomplishing anything, just for "art" and "self expression". I never got poked by a needle that tickled or made me say "ahhhh, that felt good". If you got poked by a needle and said it felt good, I know you have some demons on you or in you.

And before I get accused of being legalistic or "holier than thou" on this issue, yes I have a tattoo. They don't come off easily. It would be gone if it was not so hard to get rid of...but that requires painful laser treatments and I had enough pain getting the stupid tattoo. How stupid could I be other than to let myself be hurt and call it art? That is demonic. Some people actually become deformed from tattoos and piercings, horribly, and if you think it's good to take the chance of it happening to you, I think you are mildly if not totally insane..sorry, no offense intended, God loves you and so do I.

Last edited:
Upvote 0