Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That may well depend upon your goals and expectations. What are they?
I didn't have any goals to convert anyone if that's what your asking..

yesterday I was having a bad day on every level, I was making posting mistakes, I was out of my element concerning a particular topic.. etc, etc.. I just felt that the invitation to have any discussion at all wasn't going to work out.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here are some thoughts you may find useful, presented as commentary on some of your posts.

In all instances that I have seen those claiming "something from nothing" fell into one of three categories.
1. Well informed individuals who failed to define what they meant by "nothing" and so accidentally misled others who used a more colloquial definition of the word.
2. Moderately well informed individuals in the media who wanted/needed to create startling headlines.
3. Ill informed individuals who tend to believe "whatever" and lack discrimination.
my response to 1) That happens to be a strong concern of mine.

response to 2) Yes, click bait.

response to 3) It takes discerning to recognize and avoid what is a waste of time.
I have also noted a handful of individuals who, on philosophical grounds, refuse to rule out the possibility of something arising from what you agree was nothing.
In my experience, speaking philosophically on any topic allows a lot of leeway for opinions that have no validity.
But please note that refusing to rule something out is quite different from believing that something is so.
In general, I think I understand what you mean.
By the way, I've seen categories 1 and 3 expressed by both atheists and Christians, so I don't think the views are constrained by ones personal theology.
I say this to explain my position: In Christian discussions of Bible topics I would rather that speaking philosophically not enter into it. Because what a person believes has to be precise in order to assure that what is believed is true and accurate.. if not, it's error.

This is the reason why I had said in an earlier post that "it wasn't going to work".. I had recognized that what I had posted on a topic was more philosophical than being of Biblically valid information so I didn't want to engage any further in it.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It would be a good idea to qualify your claims about Christianity. You know that your views are not the views of all Christians, but like many you act as if yours is the only possible correct version. Of course you believe yours but you should admit that you could be wrong. In the sciences concepts are taken as "provisionally true". Some ideas are so well evidenced that they are taken as correct, but deep down inside one must be ready to change.
Have you read my disclaimer at the bottom of all of my posts? At the time that I give my biblical perspective I endeavor to be as accurate according to my level of understanding the scriptures but I do allow that on the possibility that I might be wrong about it, should anyone have higher level of understanding, I would make the necessary adjustments.
And if you make a claim, especially a scientific one, you better be ready to support it when people demand support. "That is what I believe" does not cut it in a discussion forum.
You surely wouldn't expect a Christian to completely separate themselves from a biblical foundation when discussing scientific matters that the bible speaks of. When I would be discussing my biblical perspective versus a scientific perspective then "That is what I believe" would be correct. However, if a faith based science article would help, then I would provide the url.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you really want to use that logic, then you believe in Allah ("The afterlife will be better than this life", Quran 93:4), buddhism ("We are what we think") etc. There are a lot of "biblical" expressions, as well as other commonly used phrases, which appear in other religious texts. I'd suggest you stop you using that argument as it is ultimately self-defeating.
I use the argument from a Christian perspective and the particular verses I quoted. Whatever Allah or Buddha says is not my concern. What you are calling "self-defeating" I see it as an attempt to put all religions in one bag and thereby make all pointless.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Just because you might have heard about an atheist believing something; an effect, came from nothing does not mean that is what all atheists believe.
I am speaking of an Atheist that I had the discussion with who used the phrase. If I were to be speaking from what I read in an article, I would first indicate that.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,533.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Actually I’m better informed than you because I don’t need to resort to the ad hominem argument.
You may or may not be better informed than me, but your reading comprehension could use some work. I wasn't presenting an argument. I was offering you an honest opinion, since you had seen fit to do the same. You could have justly called ad hominem had I used my description of you in order to discount your arguments. I did not do so.

My views have been held by men and women who established just societies, schools, hospitals, freed slaves and brought advancements in science the world had never seen the line of.
And there you go again: arrogantly assuming atheists have not done the same; ignorantly unaware that the Darwins, including Charles, were important players in the abolitionist movement; and posting remarks likely to deepen the divisions in society.

I don't need to present arguments. You are doing my work for me. My thanks.

• Agree
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

46AND2

Forty six and two are just ahead of me...
Sep 5, 2012
Vancouver, WA
✟102,103.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You can say that about anything you can imagine.

Logically
it's true that anything is possible and God lives in a castle on the other side of the moon. Perhaps the russians have a moon base there, with God for a neighbor.
The Chinese raise people on the moon and ship them back here. Amazon delivers Prime packages to the moon using the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

But scientifically speaking, there is no life outside of the "life zone" of our planet.
We've checked:

50-years-of-exploration.jpg

We haven't even found all the species of life ON OUR OWN PLANET.

Reactions: pitabread
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,533.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
yesterday I was having a bad day on every level, I was making posting mistakes, I was out of my element concerning a particular topic.. etc, etc.. I just felt that the invitation to have any discussion at all wasn't going to work out.
Sorry to hear that. Everyone makes mistakes. Just a couple of days ago I inadvertently posted a quote from Speedwell that, because of a glitch in the software and an error in my post, attributed it - quite inappropriately - to OldWiseGuy. It then took three or four post from him before I recognised the error. The world didn't end.

I didn't have any goals to convert anyone if that's what your asking..
No. (I do find it interesting that that's what you thought I might have been asking.) I was asking because I was interested in your goals, since that would better help me frame my responses.
You don't yet no me, but while I may place meaning between the lines it is nearly always an expansion of what the lines say. I remain interested in an answer to the question, what are your goals in posting here?

In my experience, speaking philosophically on any topic allows a lot of leeway for opinions that have no validity.
I think you are confusing philosophy with bar-room banter. Philosophy - genuine, actual, real philosophy - organises, specifies, classifies and codifies leaving little or no wriggle room for vague opinions.

Aside: you raise a fear in me that, if that is what you think of philosophy, you are also the sort of person who might make the egregious error of calling evolution "just a theory". I hope I am mistaken, but I shall be quaking in my size ten, beige, ankle socks until you reassure me.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
@Gene2memE already address this, but it merits repeating. I'll use different words.

You are equating atheism and science.
I enjoy watching videos by "Because Science" because it is science without their personal opinions about Christians and their beliefs. There are other Atheists who make science based videos (when I wanted a scientific perspective that debunked flat earth beliefs) who do devote some of their videos to speak against the Bible.

The latter are the ones I refer to when I wrote my post.
That is an error. It is a massive error. It is a damaging error. It damages your perception of science and (since you equate it with atheism) it damages your perception of atheism.
I should have made the distinction in the post that you respond to, as I now have above.
Atheism is not the antithesis of theism. Theism, in most instances leads to certain beliefs and attempts to follow certain behaviours. Most, if not all, of an atheists beliefs have nothing to do with their non-belief in a God. (In many cases that non-belief is not an active thing, it is a disinterest in something considered to be too unlikely to give any thought to.)
The particular one I mention above did in one of his rants say that he was raised in Christian beliefs.

I really shouldn't blame all Atheists for certain things that only one or few Atheists say. But that's the only way that I can thereby speak from my own experience.
I think that since engaging with most here, my experience is widening regarding those here having a manner and attitude that is pleasant to converse with.

Forgive me for causing anyone to consider Christians to be unpleasant.
Some atheists may think a causeless cause produced an effect, but it's not part of their atheism. In contrast, almost by definition, all Christians believe a causeless cause (God) produced an effect.
I assume that it's your Atheistic perspective that resulted you to say that God is a causeless cause which produced the universe.
Summary : your thinking here is fuzzy and your logic flawed. I recommend a rethink. This rethink will present no challenges to your faith, it will just stop you thinking silly things about atheists.
Perhaps my information needs to be updated if Atheists no longer put forth the 'causeless cause and effect' phrase to explain the big bang. I am going by what has been discussed in postings from a science forum.
But I haven't been there for a few years.
Point of information. The rate of expansion exceeds the speed of light.
I should have checked before I posted it, it was wrong of me not to.
You are mistaken. Beliefs are, it is true, a convenient and useful tool of thought and decision making, but they are not essential and - because of the manner they are generated - they can be misleading, even dangerous.
I don't recall the context of what beliefs I was speaking of so I will not comment. But I will say that in secular daily life situations faith isn't always necessary.
I don't believe anything. Rather, I accept certain explanations as being the best current explanations for what I am apparently observing. Perhaps I am "actually" dreaming; perhaps I am a figment of your imagination with rudimentary consciousness; perhaps I am a super-intelligent alien playing an immersive computer game; perhaps I am in the Matrix.
Perhaps I could use that as a quote for one of my characters in my fan fiction story that I'm working on.
For practical purposes I accept that the most likely explanation is "what you see is what you've got". I am, it seems, a specimen of homo sapiens on the third planet from the sun in a non-descript solar system, some 2/3 from the centre of a large, but not excessively so, galaxy that is one among billions.
Perhaps some might think it unfortunate that we all are..?
When it comes to the details, the explanations I accept change from time to time as new information comes to light, or new perspectives or old information become available.
Yes, a practice that we all should do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,533.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I really shouldn't blame all Atheists for certain things that only one or few Atheists say. But that's the only way that I can thereby speak from my own experience.
I am pleased to see the realisation that there are atheists and there are atheists. There is as much in common between all atheists as there is between people who dislike cauliflower.

You reference watching science videos. Now I know there are actually a lot of good things on YouTube. IT seems that just about any task one might wish to undertake, from laying patios to building a home security system are covered by multiple videos. But, as you are aware, there is also a lot of nonsense.
When it comes to science the only secure way of gaining a sound understanding is to make a serious study of it and to acquire the ability to read, with discernment and scepticism, original research articles on the topic of interest. Anything other approach is likely to lead you to misunderstanding or misinterpretation, and you may be deliberately mislead.

I think that since engaging with most here, my experience is widening regarding those here having a manner and attitude that is pleasant to converse with.
Yes, amusingly (?), some other members at CF regard some of these same people as the spawn of the devil. :)

Forgive me for causing anyone to consider Christians to be unpleasant.
Trust me, the reverse is true. I - and perhaps others - may think some of your views misguided, but you have been courteous to a fault. There are many others like you who represent the Christian faith in a positive manner. Sadly, that is not the case for all.

I assume that it's your Atheistic perspective that resulted you to say that God is a causeless cause which produced the universe.
Not at all. It is a commonplace argument in Christian theology that God is the First Cause, from which all else flows. I'm not clear why you are - apparently - disputing this. Am I mistaken?

Perhaps my information needs to be updated if Atheists no longer put forth the 'causeless cause and effect' phrase to explain the big bang. I am going by what has been discussed in postings from a science forum.
Frankly, I don't recall ever hearing that phrase. As someone who really dislikes Big Bang Theory and hates having to accept it because that's where the evidence points I've done a lot of reading on the topic. Perhaps the phrase was there, but not in any "serious" location.
(I'm discounting, perhaps unfairly, science forums as serious places. As a former mod or admin on four or five of them, I think I'm entitled to do so. :))

Perhaps I could use that as a quote for one of my characters in my fan fiction story that I'm working on.
As long as the character is unusually handsome, erudite, graceful, diligent and amusing, you should definitely go for it. If not, just assure me he doesn't like cauliflower.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry to hear that. Everyone makes mistakes. Just a couple of days ago I inadvertently posted a quote from Speedwell that, because of a glitch in the software and an error in my post, attributed it - quite inappropriately - to OldWiseGuy. It then took three or four post from him before I recognised the error. The world didn't end.
Still, I wasn't paying attention to my personal signals that were telling me that I wasn't qualified to be talking on the subject. Sometimes knowing when to quit is better than charging forward with empty on the spot manufactured bluster to try and push the topic along.
No. (I do find it interesting that that's what you thought I might have been asking.)
I don't have all that much experience with standard non-Christians.. but I'd read a post from an unbeliever once who'd accused a Christian of that.. so.. I thought I'd just head the possibility off at the pass.
I was asking because I was interested in your goals, since that would better help me frame my responses.
You don't yet no me, but while I may place meaning between the lines it is nearly always an expansion of what the lines say. I remain interested in an answer to the question, what are your goals in posting here?
A goal is a planned intention. All I did was read from the latest postings in the list, and picked what wasn't a Bible topic.. a change. I do that so that my time spent on the forum from one day or another has variety.
I think you are confusing philosophy with bar-room banter. Philosophy - genuine, actual, real philosophy - organises, specifies, classifies and codifies leaving little or no wriggle room for vague opinions.
I was just going by what someone giving their opinions called philosophy. I see now that he was just pulling the wool over my eyes and I didn't bother to look up the word in the dictionary. But this just explains my posts because of my experiences with a few Atheists who prefer to play games with a Christian rather than just be more real.
Aside: you raise a fear in me that, if that is what you think of philosophy, you are also the sort of person who might make the egregious error of calling evolution "just a theory". I hope I am mistaken, but I shall be quaking in my size ten, beige, ankle socks until you reassure me.
There are those Christians who open up their teaching (of creation vs evolution) with the words. But I quickly add that not all do. And, coincidentally I am wearing beige, thick socks over white ankle footies. And my feet are still cold.

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am pleased to see the realisation that there are atheists and there are atheists. There is as much in common between all atheists as there is between people who dislike cauliflower.
Is it unfortunate then that I like cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli? But if there are some who don't like shrimp as I do not, then I could better understand what you said.
You reference watching science videos. Now I know there are actually a lot of good things on YouTube. IT seems that just about any task one might wish to undertake, from laying patios to building a home security system are covered by multiple videos.
We have been recently updating our appliances so yes, those home improvement videos have been helpful. I've also found some vids that feature Japanese foods prepared by a Japanese woman who lives on a farm grows all her food and uses a large wok with dried plant leaves and triks to heat the food. For use in my fan fiction set in the 15th century feudal era.
But, as you are aware, there is also a lot of nonsense.
When it comes to science the only secure way of gaining a sound understanding is to make a serious study of it and to acquire the ability to read, with discernment and scepticism, original research articles on the topic of interest. Anything other approach is likely to lead you to misunderstanding or misinterpretation, and you may be deliberately mislead.
I indeed do stay away from conspiracy theory videos. I have found that even Christians are inho very close to c.t. for instance, before I realized that some were capable of that.
Yes, amusingly (?), some other members at CF regard some of these same people as the spawn of the devil. :)
Well there was one time when my older brother went out of his way to strongly make me think so. But by and large many are not. For instance I have an Atheist uncle.. did have.. he's dead now.. a professor that taught in college. He'd bring up some interesting discussions on the Christmas holidays with my Methodist parents and the large family around. Sometimes I'd comment and he seemed to enjoy my doing so. A great guy. I miss him and my Aunt.
Trust me, the reverse is true. I - and perhaps others - may think some of your views misguided, but you have been courteous to a fault. There are many others like you who represent the Christian faith in a positive manner. Sadly, that is not the case for all.
I can't take the credit. All in our family were raised to speak with good manners to everyone.
Not at all. It is a commonplace argument in Christian theology that God is the First Cause, from which all else flows. I'm not clear why you are - apparently - disputing this. Am I mistaken?
I wasn't meaning to dispute it. What it seemed you were saying I interpreted to be the opposite of what I stand by of the Christian theology. Apparently just a minor miscommunication somehow.
Frankly, I don't recall ever hearing that phrase. As someone who really dislikes Big Bang Theory and hates having to accept it because that's where the evidence points I've done a lot of reading on the topic. Perhaps the phrase was there, but not in any "serious" location.
(I'm discounting, perhaps unfairly, science forums as serious places. As a former mod or admin on four or five of them, I think I'm entitled to do so. :))
My head is spinning with puzzlement that most of what I've said has been outdated or some level of wrong. Yet, that very stuff at least at one time was the major Atheistic standard. The movies that I've seen, etc. But yeah, as if they use accuracy in their plotlines.
As long as the character is unusually handsome, erudite, graceful, diligent and amusing, you should definitely go for it. If not, just assure me he doesn't like cauliflower.
I'm not sure if my talent in writing is that good so I should warn you that for all the description above.. not likely. One thing that I could do is to just use the words in a sentence that he says concerning himself. But he's also going to have bouts of ranting and crankiness.. because that I can apparently do without too much trouble.

Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It depends. Do you think that the conclusions of science which contradict a literalist interpretation of Genesis are part of an atheist conspiracy to destroy Christianity?
No. Although some over at "the skeptics bible" certainly seem to be giving it a try for all their worth.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Nov 12, 2008
✟240,533.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
@fwGod There are several intersting points in your last post I should like to comment on, but mainly with a view to continuing the conversation. I probably won't get round to them. I want to focus on this one:
Yet, that very stuff at least at one time was the major Atheistic standard.
I am failing - very badly it seems - to get across the fact that there is no atheistic standard.

I don't know what I have to say to get that point across. If there is anything approaching being an atheistic standard it is that most atheists don't think about themselves as atheists, because their attitude to something they don't think exists is not important to them.

What is important to them? Almost anything apart from the fact that they don't believe in God. It could be family, work, children, sports team, blockbuster movie, latest computer game, etc. So, in that context there is no atheistic standard.

The reason it comes up on CF is because, first the Administration requires us to declare our "beliefs" and second, a sub-set of Christian members equivocate science and atheism.

I encourage you to stop thinking of atheists as a cohesive group, with meaningful and relevant views held in common. They are not.

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You surely wouldn't expect a Christian to completely separate themselves from a biblical foundation when discussing scientific matters that the bible speaks of. When I would be discussing my biblical perspective versus a scientific perspective then "That is what I believe" would be correct. However, if a faith based science article would help, then I would provide the url.

Are you familiar with the Biologos website? If not, I would suggest that they might offer the perspective you’re looking for, and even us atheists have a lot of respect for em. (Well, some of us anyway!)

BioLogos - God's Word. God's World.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I use the argument from a Christian perspective and the particular verses I quoted. Whatever Allah or Buddha says is not my concern. What you are calling "self-defeating" I see it as an attempt to put all religions in one bag and thereby make all pointless.
You completely missed the point. Your argument was "If you quote these verses then you must believe in God". I pointed out that, using that logic, if you quote the Quran you must believe in Allah, if you quote Buddhist texts you must hold to buddhism etc. That's why your argument is self-defeating.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We haven't even found all the species of life ON OUR OWN PLANET.
That's from one of my posts.
So why do we waste time looking in space? For a the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
You know the reason. Because you don't want to be wrong.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That's from one of my posts.
So why do we waste time looking in space? For a the Flying Spaghetti Monster?
You know the reason. Because you don't want to be wrong.
About what? Why is it so important to say there is no life other than on Earth? Why would it not be sufficient to say there may not be?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.