Are Skinny Jeans / Leggings / Tight Fitting Pants Modest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What? It is "immature" to be totally overwhelmed at my wife's nakedness? I don't think so. And I do not see how I can be overwhelmed by her nakedness and just be "meh" about someone else's.

But this thread is about skinny jeans, not nakedness.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
True. But what do "skinny jeans" show off, if not a close approximation of nakedness?

And would it not be that fact that makes them considered immoral by many?

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
True. But what do "skinny jeans" show off, if not a close approximation of nakedness?

Wrong. I've seen naked women and I have seen women wearing skinny jeans. There is a big difference between the two.

And would it not be that fact that makes them considered immoral by many?

And if people consider skinny jeans to be immoral then they shouldn't look, should they?

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, in the situation I sad above, those tight shorts were kakhi colored, almost the same as her suntan

That still does not approximate nakedness.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Today men's bathing suits do not include a top. However, the male bathing suit during the Victorian era included a top. In fact, in some places men were arrested as late as the 1930s for going topless on public beaches. Times have changed. I suspect that within the next 100 years the top will become optional for women as well. In some places it already has.

I have to agree with Norah63. Wear what makes you comfortable and happy.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Wear whatever you think is modest.

If you try to do what other people think might be modest, you'll run yourself in circles ... everyone has different ideas of what is modest (or not).
Indeed. Definitions of modesty are purely cultural. Wear whatever makes you feel as if you are living according to your values.

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Scholar, Author, Educator
Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Dave said:
What? It is "immature" to be totally overwhelmed at my wife's nakedness?

I don't think so.

And I do not see how I can be overwhelmed by her nakedness and just be "meh" about someone else's.

If the mere outline of a vagina has you grabbing onto something because you can no longer stand, you seriously need to see a therapist. That's not an appropriate response.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,589.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Nice sentiment, but it doesn't hold up to the bible, and since this IS a christian forum, that would be the ultimate decider .

The bible is very clear in multiple places that we hold a responsibility to keep ourselves from leading others into sin. It also is very clear that we are to dress modestly. You CAN NOT debate this, you are to dress modest, that is what the bible says. The debate is what IS modesty. Not IF you have a choice as a christian, you don't have a choice in regards to dressing modestly any more than you have the choice to have sex outside marriage, or steal, or commit any other sin. You have the ABILITY to do those things, but its undeniably wrong according to the bible.

Modestly does not mean you have to wear a burka, and that argument is idiotic. Don't wear anything skin tight, don't show your chest/butt. Don't draw attention to the specifically sexual parts of your body, and your fine. You don't have to wear a burka, that argument is lazy.

I'm very tired of this, the bible is so clear on this issue its not funny.You are not wholly responsible for someone else's sin, but if you LEAD them into it( such as providing an very easy means to lust by half you chest hanging out and drawing attention to it) then you DO have part to play in their sin and you do bear some responsibility.

We do not live the christian life in a vacuum, but around others, if you love showing off your body more than you love your brother who may struggle with that (and realistically most men do) then YOU have a serious heart problem that you need to work out with god because your clothing and self image has become and idol to you.

But what defines what is modest or not? You cant say anything is inheritly modest or immodest. It's largely cultural. In many cultures, it's considered immodest for women to wear short sleeves and the majority of hair is expected to be covered (im not talking about burkas-im talking about average Muslim people ) Does that mean short or no sleeves is sinful for those people to wear?

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If the mere outline of a vagina has you grabbing onto something because you can no longer stand, you seriously need to see a therapist. That's not an appropriate response.
I agree with you, but there isn't even a chance of seeing the vagina itself. The worst you'll see is camel toe.
Modestly does not mean you have to wear a burka, and that argument is idiotic. Don't wear anything skin tight, don't show your chest/butt.
Someone could just as easily say that your next sentence is idiotic. It's all relative. You do not possess the sole objective truth of modesty.

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If that were so, why did Our Lord say this?

Matthew 5:28 but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Well a book says it... that doesn't mean a God said it.

Anyway, adultery is cheating. You can't cheat if you are single. So lust would be okay for single people. You can't commit adultery against no one.

You can also question what is meant by lust. Is it strong attraction, or actually wanting to be with them. If lust means actively wanting to cheat, I'd agree that's wrong. But in that case it really has even less to do with what someone is wearing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree with you, but there isn't even a chance of seeing the vagina itself.

Even dresses are likely to show the shape of the breasts. Is that "nudity" also?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

BL2KTN

Scholar, Author, Educator
Oct 22, 2010
Tennessee, United States
✟18,144.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Libertarian
Eudaimonist said:
Even dresses are likely to show the shape of the breasts. Is that "nudity" also?

Before discussing this, I recommend we all grab a counter lest our knees buckle at the thought of a nipple.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I personally wear skinny jeans because I think they look classier than boot cut. I don't really see any young women wearing loose jeans. Skinny jeans have a cleaner cut and look less casual to me. I realize that's just my cultural perception, but it's an example of how clothes can have different connotations according to different people. Just as I would consider a woman in a fitted dress at a social event to be more fashionable and appropriately dressed than a woman in a baggy nightgown, despite the fact that a modern dress is more revealing than a nightgown.

Reactions: Archivist
Upvote 0

moerunamida

Prayer Warrior
Jul 30, 2003
✟53,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello welcome to christian forums. you are posting in a section where other religions and beliefs are allowed to comment. for example i am unaffiliated with any religion (atheist) there are sections on here where only Christians can comment if you wish. that out of the way I feel that it is not up to women to control my feelings that's all on me

I'd just like to thank you for being kind. When I was new I posted a religious question (perhaps in this forum), and I was attacked relentlessly and bullied. :hug:

Upvote 0

Interplanner

Aug 5, 2012
near Olympic National Park
✟12,847.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To LoveHopeFaith,
Most modern women's fashion is intended to be sexually arousing. It may even be malicious in that it is trying to frustrate men and cause frustrating experiences for men, causing some of them to abandon relations with women. All of us have to remember the stumbling stone principle, Mt 18.

To gain some historical perspective, find some of the BBC's early productions of classics like those by Jane Austen: MIDDLEMARCH, SENSE AND SENSIBILITY, MANSFIELD PARK. Obviously the usual dresses of women were mostly loose. Sometimes the bust was more revealed (without at low cut) but that's all. They didn't even want feet to show even though getting the hems of dresses very muddy etc.

A bit later the body was made tighter, ie, from the chest down to the waist. If you just compare those to things (the "frocks" that were loose from bust down) to those styles that made the bodice tight, you will see the beginning of the end of modesty.

In one scene in PRIDE AND PREJUDICE you'll see that there is disagreement between the mother and a daughter about "the lace." I'm not sure of all the particulars but it was about whether a girl's chest and cleavage should be visible. The dresses seemed to be made low cut, but the lace was added on separately to obscure this, as approved by a girl's mother etc. There were times when it was removed and times not.

See understandmen.com. Men are very visually-oriented and need no help with that. Modest dressing should be the rule, except between husband and wife.

Reactions: Saricharity
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.