Are Seventh Day Adventists open to OSAS because i saw that in a thread i found on bing?

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Does the Bible teach it’s a sin to attend Church on Sunday rather than Saturday?
JLB

The Bible does not say anything about it being a sin to be in church on Tuesday, or Monday or Sunday.

But that is not your question is it??

What you want to know is whether scripture is correct in 1 John 3:4 to say what sin IS.

What you want to know is whether all TEN of God's Ten Commandments are God's Commandments -- is that right?

Now lets focus for a few minutes on the actual topic of this thread, if that would not be too inconvenient. In fact... I insist that staying on topic would be the right thing to do.

Are you about to state "your" POV on OSAS? (since that is the topic of this thread)

As I said before -- IF your question actually had been "is it a sin to be in a church for worship on Tuesday or Sunday" I freely state that the answer is "no" that is not a sin.

Amen. I agree.
JLB

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But that is not your question is it??

What you want to know is whether scripture is correct in 1 John 3:4 to say what sin IS.

What you want to know is whether all TEN of God's Ten Commandments are God's Commandments -- is that right?

No not at all.

I know the answer.

Can you share with us, as to how the Church is commanded by Jesus to observe the Sabbath under the New Covenant?

Or do you believe it is the same as under the law of Moses?

JLB

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Can you share with us, as to how the Church is commanded by Jesus to observe the Sabbath under the New Covenant?
JLB

Those who argue that Jesus never said that we "should not take God's name in vain" in the Gospel - are certainly correct - but that does not mean it is no longer a sin to take God's name in vain, for even in the NT "sin IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4 And when Jesus is asked which commandments to keep in Matthew 19 he sets focus on the TEN (even though he does not mention the command not to take God's name in vain there either)

1. Jesus never uses the term "New Covenant" in the Gospels
2. To see Jesus using that term in the NT -- we have to go to Hebrews 8 where we are informed that Jesus is speaking the New Covenant to Jeremiah - in Jer 31:31-34

Heb
4 Now if He (Jesus) were on earth, He (Jesus) would not be a priest at all, since there are those who offer the gifts according to the Law; 5 who serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things, just as Moses was warned by God when he was about to erect the tabernacle; for, “See,” He (Jesus) says, “that you make all things according to the pattern which was shown you on the mountain.” 6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He (Jesus) is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.
A New Covenant

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. 8 For finding fault with them, He (Jesus) says,

“Behold, days are coming, says the Lord,
When I will effect a new covenant
With the house of Israel and with the house of Judah;
9 Not like the covenant which I (Jesus) made with their fathers
On the day when I (Jesus) took them by the hand
To lead them out of the land of Egypt;
For they did not continue in My covenant,
And I did not care for them, says the Lord.
10 “For this is the covenant that I (Jesus) will make with the house of Israel
After those days, says the Lord:
I (Jesus) will put My laws into their minds,
And I (Jesus) will write them on their hearts.
And I (Jesus) will be their God,
And they shall be My people.
11 “And they shall not teach everyone his fellow citizen,
And everyone his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’
For all will know Me,
From the least to the greatest of them.
12 “For I (Jesus) will be merciful to their iniquities,
And I (Jesus) will remember their sins no more.”

So then it is Jesus giving us all TEN.

And scripture tells us that for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

No wonder then that we have "there REMAINS therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" Hebrews 4.

No wonder then that both gentiles AND Jews gather for Gospel preaching "every Sabbath" in the synagogue in Acts 18:4

========================

I am glad these Sunday sources all affirm the Ten Commandments for Christians.

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
<sigh> Why does everyone take 1 John 3:4 as the only NT definition of sin?

What ever happened to Romans 14:23?

Certainly conscience (if directed by God) can be a help in identifying sin. But the Word of God is the final rule as 1 John 3:4 points out so that if your tradition or upbringing tells you that Buddha is the right person to pray to - but then you find that Bible and it says that such is not the case... go with the Word of God instead.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Certainly conscience (if directed by God) can be a help in identifying sin. But the Word of God is the final rule as 1 John 3:4 points out so that if your tradition or upbringing tells you that Buddha is the right person to pray to - but then you find that Bible and it says that such is not the case... go with the Word of God instead.
Earlier in the thread you said this:
The Bible does not say anything about it being a sin to be in church on Tuesday, or Monday or Sunday.
But if someone BELIEVES it to be sinful, then their assembly on those days WOULD be sinful since it is NOT from faith.

As the apostle said in that verse: "he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith;" similarly attendance would not be from faith and therefore sinful.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Earlier in the thread you said this:

But if someone BELIEVES it to be sinful, then their assembly on those days WOULD be sinful since it is NOT from faith.

As the apostle said in that verse: "he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because his eating is not from faith;" similarly attendance would not be from faith and therefore sinful.

True - if they got it mixed up to the point of thinking it would be sin and that they are dishonoring God by daring to set foot in a church on Tuesday - then it is for them a sin. However only in the sense that they would say something like this to themselves "I know God says it is sin to step foot in a church on Tuesday but I don't care what God says - it is much more convenient for me to do it anyway".

However the Holy-Spirit inspired part of their conscience would be arguing against their convictions in that case.

In the dark ages a faithful catholic might think that burning protesting catholics alive was "the right thing" to do but their inner conscience "would not feel good about it" -- as f their own common sense were arguing against their convictions..

Or you could look at the prospect of ratting out some dissident who was hiding but was only guilty of holding a religious conviction differing from the church prelate that had control of the government. Some folks would side with the dissident instinctively even though their conviction was still that the religious prelate is infallible.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the thing is Bob, I know "good christians" who have been so indoctrinated against the Jews that they consider it sinful to NOT work on Saturday and WOE if they would step thru a congregational door on that day.

That kind of indoctrination can totally drown out any inner voice of conscience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
the thing is Bob, I know "good christians" who have been so indoctrinated against the Jews that they consider it sinful to NOT work on Saturday and WOE if they would step thru a congregational door on that day.

That kind of indoctrination can totally drown out any inner voice of conscience.

True - and the dark ages proceeded quite comfortably relying on conscience being silenced by authority and tradition.

One thing that the SDA eschatology predicts is a return to the "sinful not to work on Saturday" theme.

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No wonder then that both gentiles AND Jews gather for Gospel preaching "every Sabbath" in the synagogue in Acts 18:4

I see you are not only desperate to avoid answering my question, but you are willing to try and distort what the scriptures say.

Jews and Gentiles most certainly did not gather in synagogues every Sabbath.

Surely you must know that the only Gentiles allowed in a synagogue were converts to Judaism.

Paul, not Gentile Christians went to the synagogue, while he was in Corinth, to persuade those Jews about the Gospel.

Paul targeted the Jew first in every city He stayed in to reason with them from the scriptures and present Christ to them.

After these things Paul departed from Athens and went to Corinth. And he found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla (because Claudius had commanded all the Jews to depart from Rome); and he came to them. So, because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and worked; for by occupation they were tentmakers. And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks. Acts 18:1-4

Your attempt to try and insinuate that Acts 18:4 somehow sets a precedent for the Church to attend a synagogue on the Sabbath is extremely deceitful at best.

Please answer my question, with scripture.

JLB

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No not at all.

I know the answer.

JLB

Why would Jesus command something that is already in effect, and which the disciples and apostles also practiced?

You need to show that the Sabbath was given only to the Jews. It wasn't. It was given to mankind.

Genesis 2: 1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.
2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

God sanctified, declared it holy, the seventh day thousands of years before Eber the great grandson of Noah was born. The Hebrews--Israelites--were the direct descendants of Eber. Eber was born 4 generations after Noah. So he was Noah's great great, great grandson through Shem. Abram was born quite a few generations later. If you want to see for yourself read Genesis 11:10 and onward to trace line of descent to Abram. In Genesis 14:13 we find the first mention of a Hebrew when it speaks of "Abram the Hebrew" Here's what Strong's concordance says about the word translated as Hebrew.
[*StrongsHebrew*]
05680 H5680 עברי ‛ibrîy ib-ree'
Patronymic from H5677; an Eberite (that is Hebrew) or descendant of Eber: - Hebrew (-ess woman)

Here's what Jesus said about the Sabbath. And as He was the giver of the 10 commandments I figure He is the authority on them. Why they were given, and to whom.
Mark 2: 27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

The Greek word translated as "man" does not specify Jew or Hebrew. It specifies human beings.
[*StrongsGreek*]
00444G444 ἄνθρωπος anthrōpos anth'-ro-pos
From G435 and ὤψ ōps (the countenance; from G3700);
manfaced that is a human being: - certain man.
So, the Sabbath, created thousands of years before Moses and the Israelites ever existed was given, as per Jesus, to humanity and not to one tribe of human beings. If that was so Jesus would have specified which humans it was given to.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
JLB

Those who argue that Jesus never said that we "should not take God's name in vain" in the Gospel - are certainly correct - but that does not mean it is no longer a sin to take God's name in vain, for even in the NT "sin IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4 And when Jesus is asked which commandments to keep in Matthew 19 he sets focus on the TEN (even though he does not mention the command not to take God's name in vain there either)

1. Jesus never uses the term "New Covenant" in the Gospels
2. To see Jesus using that term in the NT -- we have to go to Hebrews 8 where we are informed that Jesus is speaking the New Covenant to Jeremiah - in Jer 31:31-34

Heb
4 Now if He (Jesus) were on earth, He (Jesus) would not be a priest at all, since there are those who offer the gifts according to the Law; 5 who serve a copy and shadow of the heavenly things, just as Moses was warned by God when he was about to erect the tabernacle; for, “See,” He (Jesus) says, “that you make all things according to the pattern which was shown you on the mountain.” 6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, by as much as He (Jesus) is also the mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises.
A New Covenant

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second. 8 For finding fault with them, He (Jesus) says,

“Behold, days are coming, says the Lord,
When I will effect a new covenant
With the house of Israel and with the house of Judah;
9 Not like the covenant which I (Jesus) made with their fathers
On the day when I (Jesus) took them by the hand
To lead them out of the land of Egypt;
For they did not continue in My covenant,
And I did not care for them, says the Lord.
10 “For this is the covenant that I (Jesus) will make with the house of Israel
After those days, says the Lord:
I (Jesus) will put My laws into their minds,
And I (Jesus) will write them on their hearts.
And I (Jesus) will be their God,
And they shall be My people.
11 “And they shall not teach everyone his fellow citizen,
And everyone his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’
For all will know Me,
From the least to the greatest of them.
12 “For I (Jesus) will be merciful to their iniquities,
And I (Jesus) will remember their sins no more.”

So then it is Jesus giving us all TEN.

And scripture tells us that for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

No wonder then that we have "there REMAINS therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" Hebrews 4.

========================

I am glad these Sunday sources all affirm the Ten Commandments for Christians.

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism

I see you are not only desperate to avoid answering my question, but you are willing to try and distort what the scriptures say.

totally false.

Please post an actual fact if you wish to present a compelling statement in a context where not everyone reading starts off in agreement with your POV.

Here is scripture --

Acts 18
3 So, because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and worked; for by occupation they were tentmakers. 4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.

Surely you must know that the only Gentiles allowed in a synagogue were converts to Judaism.

They allowed both proselytes and full converts. There was no requirement that gentiles first become Jews - then worship in the synagogues. Today to this very day - gentiles , non-Jews may attend worship services in a synagogue.

Please choose fact. And take care to avoid posting an exact negative to the text you are responding to - since that is not a very compelling way to make your case to other Christians.

Paul, not Gentile Christians went to the synagogue

Gentiles were "being persuaded by Paul" every Sabbath in the synagogues yet continue to attend "every Sabbath in the synagogues" to hear more gospel preaching. we also see them do it in Acts 13 and also Acts 17.

. And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks. Acts 18:1-4

Instead of "just Jews"

Instead of "Jews and greeks UNTIL they were persuaded and then after that on week-day-1 instead of Sabbath"

We have . And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks. Acts 18:1-4

The point remains.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

1. It is important to follow the point/response to that question rather than just keeping asking as if you aren't following the point in the discussion.

2. The New Covenant is found in Jer 31:31-34 and says nothing about ignoring the LAW of God - rather it says the LAW of God known to Jeremiah and his readers is written on the heart. Clearly they knew about all TEN of the TEN Commandments.

you are shooting your own argument in the foot by that statement.

Christ quotes from the LAW of Moses in Mark 7, in Matt 19, in Matt 22.

Christ meets with Moses and Elijah in Matt 17

But Christ never quotes the commandment to not take God's name in vain.

the point remains.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

JLB

I believe you are conflating the temple in Jerusalem with synagogues. Yes, no Gentile could enter the inner court of the temple, but the temple and a synagogue are not the same thing. There was only one temple. There were likely hundreds, if not thousands, of synagogues scattered around the world in Paul's day as wherever there were Jews there was a synagogue, but they did not offer sacrifices for sin in synagogues. That was only done at the temple in Jerusalem. The temple services associated with the feasts and the offering of sacrifices for sin are why Jesus and His parents went there when He was 12. If all those things were done in synagogues there was no reason for them to travel to Jerusalem for we know there was a synagogue in Nazareth for Jesus stood up and read from the book of Isaiah there.

To proselytize Gentiles the Jews had to have a place other than their homes to meet with them, for the oral law said their homes were defiled if a Gentile entered them. So, it was most likely a very common event for Gentiles to enter a synagogue.

The implications of Acts 13 verse 14 and onward clearly shows that there were Gentiles in the audience when Paul first spoke in the synagogue at Antioch on the Sabbath. Paul addressed them as "Men of Israel, and ye that fear God, give audience". It's plain there are two separate groups in his audience. One group was Jews. The other group? Could have only been Gentiles who worshiped God.

Also look at the end of Paul's sermon that day. When the meeting broke up the Gentiles were asking for Paul to speak to them the next Sabbath. There was so much interest in Paul's sermon from that first day that we're told almost the entire city of Antioch came the next Sabbath to hear Paul preach. So many people came the leading Jews became jealous and started persecuting Paul and Barnabas.

I ask you, how did the Gentiles know what Paul was speaking about if they weren't in the audience that first Sabbath as they were asking him to speak to the same things again to them the next Sabbath?

Now let's look at Acts 14:1.
1 And it came to pass in Iconium, that they went both together into the synagogue of the Jews, and so spake, that a great multitude both of the Jews and also of the Greeks believed.
If no Gentiles were allowed the synagogue how is it that the preaching of Paul and Barnabas in the synagogue convinced a "great multitude" of Greeks to believe? They had to be there to hear.

Now let's look at Acts 17:1-4.
1 Now when they had passed through Amphipolis and Apollonia, they came to Thessalonica, where was a synagogue of the Jews:
2 And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures,
3 Opening and alleging, that Christ must needs have suffered, and risen again from the dead; and that this Jesus, whom I preach unto you, is Christ.
4 And some of them believed, and consorted with Paul and Silas; and of the devout Greeks a great multitude, and of the chief women not a few.

Paul, as his custom was, went to the synagogue on three consecutive Sabbaths to reason with the Jews out of the scriptures. Some of the Jews believed, but also a great multitude of devout Greeks and not a few of the cheif women. Once again, how did the Greeks hear Paul's reasoning if they were not in the synagogue those three Sabbaths?

What happened in Berea? Paul and Barnabas went to the synagogue of the Jews and reasoned with them. And the Bereans got out their scriptures and searched to see if what Paul said was true. And the result?
Acts 17:12 Therefore many of them believed; also of honourable women which were Greeks, and of men, not a few.

Once again the Greeks were in the Jewish synagogues.

What did Paul do in Corinth?
Acts 18:4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every sabbath, and persuaded the Jews and the Greeks.
Once again the Greeks were in the Jewish synagogue to listen to Paul preach on Sabbath.

Is the pattern clear to you yet? Everywhere Paul went to preach the Greeks came to the synagogues to hear him.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,137.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Paul, not Gentile Christians went to the synagogue, while he was in Corinth, to persuade those Jews about the Gospel.

Paul targeted the Jew first in every city He stayed in to reason with them from the scriptures and present Christ to them.

After these things Paul departed from Athens and went to Corinth. And he found a certain Jew named Aquila, born in Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla (because Claudius had commanded all the Jews to depart from Rome); and he came to them. So, because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and worked; for by occupation they were tentmakers. And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks. Acts 18:1-4

Your attempt to try and insinuate that Acts 18:4 somehow sets a precedent for the Church to attend a synagogue on the Sabbath is extremely deceitful at best.

JLB

Here is a little more on Gentiles entering Jewish synagogues. This comes from a Jew posting to a Jewish forum.

It was asked on another thread, and I hope she finds this, that some suggest that gentiles were not allowed into the synagogue of Jewish worship. This is probably because of the sharp anamosity toward early believers in Jerusalem, that believers were cast out of the synagogue for their declaration of Yeshua as the Messiah. These are two completely separate ideas. First, being a gentile does not necessarily mean being a believer in Messiah; yet, it is commonly forgotten that all believers in Messiah were initially Jews.

There has been no time in history when the foreigner (the goy) was excluded from the synagogue. He (or she) was never forbidden. Even today, anyone is welcome to come in and attend a synagogue service (provided you are not disruptive to the propriety of the worship). Some synagogues appear to be more exclusive than others; but if you had the opportunity to understand why, it is normally because someone had recently or people had repeatedly attempted to mend them of their ways and caused problems. The Jewish people are by nature extremely hospitabkle.

In larger, more Orthodox synagogues, there is often a balcony where women, children and non-Jews are allowed to go and observe without necessarily participating in the service. This is for their benefit, so that they are more comfortable and so that they can understand what is going on down on thew floor before trying to stumble through the experience in ignorance. This is sometimes interpretted by the outsider as not being allowed in; but dialogue will usually clear up these mis-understandings.

In the New Testament there is a term that is used that describe
ksAtadeHWjGP5hI84wtD.gif
observant non-Jews as "God-fearers". These are gentiles who have not (yet) fully converted to Judaism; but have attached themselves to the Israel as the people of Adonai. Cornelius, the Centurion in Acts 10 fits this definition.

There was a certain man in Caesarea called Cornelius, a centurion of the band called the Italian band, A devout man, and one that feared God with all his house, which gave much alms to the people, and prayed to God always.
(Act 10:1-2 KJV)

Understanding this term "God-fearer" to be a common idiom for a gentile who has attached himself to the Jewish faith, we find them present in the synagogue at Antioch in Acts 13:16 where Paul addresses the gentiles specifically present in the audience.

It would be difficult to argue that goyim were not present in the synagogues throughout the New Testament.

The same thing occurred in Iconium, where Paul and Barnabas went into the Jewish synagogue and spoke in such a way that a great number of both Jews and Greeks became believers (Acts 14:1).

That very night the believers sent Paul and Silas off to Beroea; and when they arrived, they went to the Jewish synagogue. These Jews were more receptive than those in Thessalonica, for they welcomed the message very eagerly and examined the scriptures every day to see whether these things were so. Many of them therefore believed, including not a few Greek women and men of high standing (Acts 17:10-12).

While Paul was waiting for them in Athens, he was deeply distressed to see that the city was full of idols. So he argued in the synagogue with the Jews and the devout persons, and also in the marketplace every day with those who happened to be there (Acts 17:16-17).

Every sabbath [Paul] would argue in the synagogue and would try to convince Jews and Greeks. (Acts 18:4).

Now, if someone is bent on their position, these verses may be dissected to argue that the discussions with Jews and gentiles were separate; but this does not fit historical evidence.

Falvius Josephus records Greeks being invited to participate in Jewish worship and festivals during the Antiochan period (before the Judaims was illegal and the Maccabean revolt).

There are several sources to confirm this; but I'm having a little trouble finding on-line materials that will be helpful. Alfred Edersheim's Sketches in Jewish Social Life may be helpful. Less accessible works that give positive historical evidence are "The God-Fearers Meet the Beloved Disciple" by A.T. Kraabel and "Jews, Gentiles and Synagogues in the Book of Acts" by (I think Norman) Gaber. These are some guys with a whole bunch of letters behind their names that will confirm that gentiles were invited to participate in synagogue worship.

Gentiles in the Synagogue | Ahavat Elohim (The Love Of God) Messianic Discussion Forums

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I believe you are conflating the temple in Jerusalem with synagogues. Yes, no Gentile could enter the inner court of the temple, but the temple and a synagogue are not the same thing. There was only one temple.

Very true - but even in the Temple there was the "court of the gentiles" -- God said that His house would be a "house of prayer for all nations".

So not only were gentiles welcomed in synagogues (as they still are to this very day) they were also welcomed to worship at the temple as long as they did not go beyond the court of the gentiles.

Now let's look at Acts 14:1. If no Gentiles were allowed the synagogue how is it that the preaching of Paul and Barnabas in the synagogue convinced a "great multitude" of Greeks to believe? They had to be there to hear.

Now let's look at Acts 17:1-4.

Good point ..

Now notice carefully Acts 13

42 So when the Jews went out of the synagogue, the Gentiles begged that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath

Whahuh!!!??? gentiles were not "asking that this gospel message be preached again to them tomorrow on week-day-1 which they were told is Lord's Day"... no .. it is "next Sabbath" that they request for more gospel preaching.

44 On the next Sabbath almost the whole city came together to hear the word of God.

"from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

Is 56:6-8 gentiles specifically singled out for Sabbath worship, Sabbath keeping

And of course -- no OSAS (A favor to the actual topic of this thread)

Acts 18
3 So, because he was of the same trade, he stayed with them and worked; for by occupation they were tentmakers. 4 And he reasoned in the synagogue every Sabbath, and persuaded both Jews and Greeks.

???

Upvote 0

JLB777

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2012
✟403,811.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why would Jesus command something that is already in effect, and which the disciples and apostles also practiced?

The law of Moses was in effect are required:

The sacrifice of animals.
The putting to death anyone caught picking up sticks to make a fire.
Observing special feast days.
No Pork
No Shrimp or Lobster

Is the Church required to do these things that the law of Moses required?

Does your Church put to death people for cooking on the Sabbath.

JLB

Upvote 0