Are our services actually accomplishing anything?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Maybe different people are inspired differently. I know that when I worked in the live music industry I was able to put my heart into concert lighting. Should we withhold allowing someone else with that heart gift in worship because it appears flashy?

No, not at all. Just because I have an issue with it, doesnt mean its wrong obviously.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Services can accomplish things definitely. People can be saved through the preaching of the word, people can receive the Baptism of the Holy Spirit during praise and worship. That's an awesome, life-changing experience for someone to have, the Baptism of the Holy Spirit.

But 'Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God'. We must come to God with pure and untainted motives, seeking the Kingdom of God and his righteousness alone.

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings with this, but I sense some churches have an agenda of their own. Not God's will, their own.

God Bless :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Then they should start a church.

They need to realise that they are the church. The church is not a show with loud pop music and a gimmicky overpaid speaker. It's a family. A family of ambassadors with the only message of hope for a perishing world.

Upvote 0

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟440,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They need to realise that they are the church. The church is not a show with loud pop music and a gimmicky overpaid speaker. It's a family. A family of ambassadors with the only message of hope for a perishing world.

You make a very good point.

I believe more services could become more meaningful ... "accomplish" more ... were we to humbly approach them as the family that we are, in Christ.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, not at all. Just because I have an issue with it, doesnt mean its wrong obviously.
There are those who would judge a service based on their own tastes. You have the maturity to allow for others to be different.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One issue I think is the influence of 'Kingdom now' type theology in Charismatic and Pentecostal type churches.

This:

We are Christ's ambassadors, brothers and sisters, called out of the world, having left the broad road to destruction we have entered by the narrow gate and look forward to the soon return of our Lord. We a strangers in the world. We look for a coming King and coming Kingdom.

Would be heresy in 'Kingdom now circles'.

Their focus is different, their view of the church different, their view of the Lord, different. What they are trying to achieve in services, different.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
One issue I think is the influence of 'Kingdom now' type theology in Charismatic and Pentecostal type churches.

This:

We are Christ's ambassadors, brothers and sisters, called out of the world, having left the broad road to destruction we have entered by the narrow gate and look forward to the soon return of our Lord. We a strangers in the world. We look for a coming King and coming Kingdom.

Would be heresy in 'Kingdom now circles'.

Their focus is different, their view of the church different, their view of the Lord, different. What they are trying to achieve in services, different.
Hmmmm, really? The Bible definitely says all of what you said, and it also says that Christians are to be salt and light in the world, so to be the most effective salt and light we can take holiness and service to the places that shape our societies. I think we need more righteousness in politics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,540.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmmmm, really? The Bible definitely says all of what you said, and it also says that Christians are to be salt and light in the world, so to be the most effective salt and light we can take holiness and service to the places that shape our societies. I think we need more righteousness in politics.

Salt and light, yes. Taking the whole world for Jesus, no. Our blessed hope is the coming of the Lord, not the coming of anything here. In light of the OP, when are services are trying to achieve something there is no biblical mandate for, they will inevitably fail. But one thing they will succeed in, when we meet together and encourage one another, even more so as we see the day of the Lord approaching. God Bless :)

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟284,013.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Salt and light, yes. Taking the whole world for Jesus, no. Our blessed hope is the coming of the Lord, not the coming of anything here. In light of the OP, when are services are trying to achieve something there is no biblical mandate for, they will inevitably fail. But one thing they will succeed in, when we meet together and encourage one another, even more so as we see the day of the Lord approaching. God Bless :)
Proverbs 29:2 New King James Version (NKJV)
2 When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice;
But when a wicked man rules, the people groan.

• Informative
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So this is not meant as a bash thread. I just want to ask what everyone's opinion is on this matter. I play currently in a church worship band, play guitar actually, along with some other instruments. One thing that constantly bugs me if I'm going to be honest is the focus on building a mood.

My worship leader (and ones I've had in the past) seem obsessed with having the right atmosphere around worship. Which I agree there needs to be a Christ centered atmosphere, but the type of environment these individuals talk about are meant at driving emotional responses to the music.

Anyone can YouTube church worship services where there are laser lights, smoke machines, etc. But is emotional music "Spirit filled"?

Preachers that jump up and down, yell at the top of their lungs and get worked up. Sure it makes it easier to sit through a sermon but does having an eloquent speaker automatically equate to a "Spirit filled" service?

What I'm asking is, in the letters to the churches, Paul says God uses foolish things to compound the wise and weak things to confound the strong. Now I'm not implying that services need to be mono tone and a bore. But what I'm asking is do we, as a group of believers, actually hinder somewhat God's work having flashy, emotionally charged services?

I'm not attacking anyone, or any group, so please keep that in mind when responding.

I think that can only be determined by the people worshiping. There may be worship leaders out there that just want to create a show, but if there's one person in the audience that is having a real connection with God, then I'd say it's a spirit filled service. Some people may find smoke and lights distracting while others don't.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I think that can only be determined by the people worshiping. There may be worship leaders out there that just want to create a show, but if there's one person in the audience that is having a real connection with God, then I'd say it's a spirit filled service. Some people may find smoke and lights distracting while others don't.
In China at least, in the true assemblies there,
they and the observers are able to distinguish between those who have had a life change in Christ Jesus,
and those who did not.
If someone is not filled by God's Spirit, the observers do not say they are filled by God's Spirit.

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0