Are our services actually accomplishing anything?

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So this is not meant as a bash thread. I just want to ask what everyone's opinion is on this matter. I play currently in a church worship band, play guitar actually, along with some other instruments. One thing that constantly bugs me if I'm going to be honest is the focus on building a mood.

My worship leader (and ones I've had in the past) seem obsessed with having the right atmosphere around worship. Which I agree there needs to be a Christ centered atmosphere, but the type of environment these individuals talk about are meant at driving emotional responses to the music.

Anyone can YouTube church worship services where there are laser lights, smoke machines, etc. But is emotional music "Spirit filled"?

Preachers that jump up and down, yell at the top of their lungs and get worked up. Sure it makes it easier to sit through a sermon but does having an eloquent speaker automatically equate to a "Spirit filled" service?

What I'm asking is, in the letters to the churches, Paul says God uses foolish things to compound the wise and weak things to confound the strong. Now I'm not implying that services need to be mono tone and a bore. But what I'm asking is do we, as a group of believers, actually hinder somewhat God's work having flashy, emotionally charged services?

I'm not attacking anyone, or any group, so please keep that in mind when responding.

Reactions: StillGods

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So Im actually not against a full band ir eloquent speakers, I just winder if we can get so obsessed with having flashy music and juicy messages that we can dampen or completely forget the Spirit role in things.

If memory serves, the Asuza street revival had no instruments, not even a piano. Now I know that was 100 years ago, but just a point that the Spirit can use any environment and I wonder if an environment that is just believers lifting up their voices may be more effective at reaching God.

I dont know, hard to articulate my thoughts exactly. Again not opposed to drums/guitars/keyboards in music. Not opposed to good speakers, flashy lights and smoke machines are another thing but yeah.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
just a point that the Spirit can use any environment
Was Jesus able to heal everyone in all the towns He visited ?
Or was their so much unbelief in some of them, that He could do little there ? (as written in the Gospels)

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I’ve attended Conservative and Reform synagogues. They make no attempt to create a mood. There are no theatrics and the music is provided by a cantor or liturgical choir. The latter features members of our local opera house. Needless to say, its very respectful and God-centered.

When you make a decision to entertain the big top never ceases. I don’t think its necessary. But perhaps its a method of opening their hearts.

• Agree
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
When you make a decision to entertain the big top never ceases. I don’t think its necessary. But perhaps its a method of opening their hearts.
footnote for research: what does Jesus say about "actors on the stage of life" ?

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All my life I look at things like "what if it was me".. haha I found me doing the same thing here. I would LOVE to have someone answer but.. who would be able to? So.. I would know my Father hears me.. and ask Him in Jesus name. Before the NT.. I think most of us would be shocked at how they worshiped God.

I have no clue as to why some add things. I really would just ask. Ask if I could set in on some meeting with them. I want to know lol. Not to prove they are wrong.. but to really just know..whats the motive. Whats the goal. I think allot don't know..and only guessing at how to reach people ..young people.

I do know for fact.. wow ALLOT of young people are coming to lord like never before!

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟775,945.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
One of the most beautiful and moving services I've been to has been the service of compline with a small group of friars. No crowds, no flashing disco lights, no drums, guitars or playlists. No ambient lighting, except for perhaps a candle.

Just a gathering of five faithful friars who meet together every day for their night time prayer, reading and singing the liturgy with no amplifiers, sound effects or mixing desks. Simply the pure sound of their voices with their prayers of penitence, adoration and supplication. And then the silence - so quiet that you can hear the distant sound of the waves of the sea outside. So quiet you don't even notice the friars leaving the chapel to retire to bed. So quiet you can literally hear your own heart beating.

I have always left the chapel feeling complete stillness and indescribable peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not attacking anyone, or any group, so please keep that in mind when responding.

Hello ByTheSpirit. 'Worship'. By definition it cannot be man focused. It cannot be focused on what people want, what people like. That's the worship of self. It has to be focused on the Lord.

Oh come, let us sing to the Lord!
Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation (Ps 95:1).

God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I do know for fact.. wow ALLOT of young people are coming to lord like never before!
more research re "for fact":

some studies went back to a city, like including wash.d.c., a year or two after a 'revival' in which perhaps 2000 or 3000 people 'were saved'/ 'coming to the Lord'.....

Out of the 2000 or 3000 people , they could not find ONE, not even ONE, still 'believing'....
So then, how many are really truly being saved anyplace ?

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

A lot of people like a glitzy rock concert and a slick message about God wanting to bless you with success and prosperity.

Fewer like suffering for the name of Jesus.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
From how I read your post, you've written a good question. Good questions deserve additional questions to explore them. What does the Bible say about it? Some scriptures come to mind like: each of you has a hymn, singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord., I will lift up my hands in Your Name, I will play skillfully on the musical instrument. If I stopped there it might look like those concepts might lend credence to the way it's been put together in some congregations. Can we put on a good enough show to drum up the Holy Spirit? If so, isn't that actually a problem? Some people think the old testament prophets were at some times accompanied by musical instruments as they prophesied. If so, was this related at all to the modern expression of what is called praise and worship?

Reactions: ByTheSpirit
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟188,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From how I read your post, you've written a good question. Good questions deserve additional questions to explore them. What does the Bible say about it? Some scriptures come to mind like: each of you has a hymn, singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord., I will lift up my hands in Your Name, I will play skillfully on the musical instrument. If I stopped there it might look like those concepts might lend credence to the way it's been put together in some congregations. Can we put on a good enough show to drum up the Holy Spirit? If so, isn't that actually a problem? Some people think the old testament prophets were at some times accompanied by musical instruments as they prophesied. If so, was this related at all to the modern expression of what is called praise and worship?

Fair response. I only worry that in our zeal to experience a God moment (aka some goosebumps on a worship song) that we forget God.

Lets put on such a good show that no one even thinks about the reason we are gathered.

Now thats extreme, but it is something I wonder.

• Informative
Reactions: Greengardener
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟438,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So this is not meant as a bash thread. I just want to ask what everyone's opinion is on this matter. I play currently in a church worship band, play guitar actually, along with some other instruments. One thing that constantly bugs me if I'm going to be honest is the focus on building a mood.

My worship leader (and ones I've had in the past) seem obsessed with having the right atmosphere around worship. Which I agree there needs to be a Christ centered atmosphere, but the type of environment these individuals talk about are meant at driving emotional responses to the music.

Anyone can YouTube church worship services where there are laser lights, smoke machines, etc. But is emotional music "Spirit filled"? ...

I think God is showing you something.

Not to say that He is showing you something about your particular worship service, or not. Maybe He is, maybe He isn't. But what He has given you is the understanding that there is a danger in getting all emotionally charged with music. The danger is in thinking that 'getting emotionally charged' equates with 'connection with God'. Again, it might ... or might not ... but oftentimes what happens in some highly charged environments is just the flesh responding to the music, not unlike it would at a good rock concert.

I believe God loves our songs to Him, when sung from our hearts. I think there will be much music in heaven, too. So music is good, very good, but I also don't think it should be used to 'stir up' the emotions of the people ... and yet, that is what some folks are looking for, when they attend a service. I use to look forward to that myself, when I was a young charismatic. And I did think it meant connection with God ... to get all emotionally charged ... until the Spirit corrected me about this.

I think it would be neat to play in a church band. It looks fun, and music does add so much to a service. Music can serve to 'warm' our hearts toward God, too. And knowing now how God worked in my life regarding this issue, I trust that He is able to teach and correct others personally, too, where there are misunderstandings and misconceptions about these things ... the Holy Spirit is a Wonderful Teacher!
:)

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Understand the concern but We believe ? "So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it."

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
the type of environment these individuals talk about are meant at driving emotional responses to the music.

Manipulation, whether by the use of music, lighting overly dramatic speach etc is wrong.
It is as simple as that.

People coming to church should be helped to concentrate on worship by music and the decore of the church, but they should not be influenced by 'mood' music played durring the service.

• Informative
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
...I wonder if an environment that is just believers lifting up their voices may be more effective at reaching God.

I feel that the single biggest factor in determining a show from a worship service is the volume level coming from the stage. It's not the style or the instruments, or the lighting, but whether the people in the congregation can hear themselves, and whether they feel that they are contributing something to the chorus. If we drown them out, then we fail to serve our purpose, which is to assist them in their singing.

Singing a cappella is the ideal in congregational involvement, but I like to think that instruments and song leaders fulfill a purpose, also. Personally, I have something wrong with my hearing, and my voice rings too loudly in my ear, so I sing with my instrument. In a congregation that used no instruments I would be only an observer.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe different people are inspired differently. I know that when I worked in the live music industry I was able to put my heart into concert lighting. Should we withhold allowing someone else with that heart gift in worship because it appears flashy?

Upvote 0