bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just ask them, "What do you mean by that?" Then let them explain. No need to find a "good comeback answer" when you don't know the context of the question. Whether you answer them to your satisfaction or not doesn't validate their criticism nor does it make what they're criticizing worthy of responding too. Anecdotal statements about a "good luck charm" turning people off may need to be addressed at some point, but the real question is "Who do you say Jesus is?" Everything else is a smokescreen. Get to the heart of the matter. Grace and Peace.

The friends are ignorant of Christianity and all other religions, but heard and most people seem to belief they are all superstitions. Lots of believers in: idolatry, Buddhism and other religions (including Christianity), seem to be very superstitious. What I have heard is: Christianity and any superstitious belief, they think if: you pray to them, give to them, belief in them, and/or obey them you will have good luck.

Does Christianity give the believer: “Good luck” or what does it do?

These friends and family members, do not know who Jesus is, so what should they say? Most of my class prior to our study did not know who Jesus is. Some got a Bible prior to my first class and started reading Genesis and Exodus and were very confused.

I want my students who might return home to China next year to say: I am a Christian and I am not superstitious nor is Christianity a superstition, but how do they back that up?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Superstition", to the officials of the People's Republic of China, means that which is not grounded in the here-and-now "realism" of communism--and which detracts from the propagation of China's one-party rule system.

I would think that archeology and prophetic fulfillment would help in responses.

Using C.S Lewis concept of "myth" could also be useful, in that everything is passed along as a story. These universally express the desire of the human heart, even the true story. Yes, there is one story that stems from the truth--the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

C. S. Lewis, Myth, and Fact

The crucifix is a symbol; likewise the hammer and cycle on the Chinese flag express the myth of a utopia of workers. But, is that latter myth--that superstition, true?
OK, some of their friend do support the Communist and some support the government but think Communism is stupid and some do not support the government or communism.
We are not debating communism, but trying to show Christianity is not a superstition.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Persecution hinders Christianity. It may be a sign Christians have not gone over to the enemy.

Reverend Richard Wurmbrand worked with the underground church in Soviet era Romania. They had to meet in secret or be arrested. He was brought out of prison by a European Christian group paying ransom money. Wurmbrand and his wife went to America. He set up a charity to fund smuggling Bibles and aid to Christians behind the Iron Curtain. He also set up a Bible printing press in Maoist China. It was set up in a tunnel until the Communists found it and destroyed it. Wurmbrand lived into his 90’s.
I would question the general idea that persecution hinders Christianity, the best estimates show over 100 million Chinese Christians most in the unrequested Churches and it is growing fast and maybe even faster since persecution increased.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What comes to mind is to answer something like, "What you are proposing could be true. Let's look further into the facts and come to a logical conclusion together. That way you can open up the dialogue of why your students would conclude that Christians are superstitious, you could also discuss how all societies have superstitions and identify the ones in the students' own culture (and discuss whether hanging on to those superstitions is actually logical), and you could possibly take the discussion into an education of God as He reveals Himself in the Scriptures through His interactions with mankind recorded in the Bible the laws of God that make life work, how we've all broken those laws, how Jesus brought us back into fellowship with this loving God, and help the students realize that they are, in the image of God, given choice to accept the wonderful invitation to this relationship and find out for themselves.

I'll make note that the logical start is in the beginning - Creation then on to the other stories. Often cutting to the "Jesus loves you and died for you" line doesn't make sense until we realize how God set this up from the beginning. Realizing God's intense desire for His creation, His tender mercy, His desire for His people to rule themselves and have a peaceful society compared to the flagrant rebellion of people again and again, to the point of sacrificing their own children for their lusts and how they ruined their societies to the point that being ruled by large pagan empires was more safe than what they were doing to themselves - that sets the backdrop to why salvation that allows us to turn or return to God and His ways is such a wonderful offer.

May God give you strong help in handling this great opportunity, Friend!
a lot of that I do not want to discuss and find the Gospels a good place to start.
From this tread I want them to see, understand and be able to explain how Christianity is based on truth, logical and believable, where superstitions are not.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Interesting.

I am trying to give my students a strong foundation for being a Christian and hopefully can witness to their friends the difference Christianity has made in their lives and can talk about that.

The doubt can certainly come from ignorance of Christianity: “How can they say Christianity is just another superstition religion”, since they cannot defend that statement, no one has even asked them to defend it.

The friends and family are more just normal Chinese not taking the time to find out about any religion, so it is not that they can defend materialism or naturalism.

Yeah, I thought what I was trying to offer was a bit much.

Maybe the best response your students can offer is the example of their lives. If Christ has made a difference in their lives, which I am sure is the case, then the way they relate to their friends and family will be their most powerful witness.

As they exhibit the character of Christ, i.e. the fruit of the Spirit, the assumption that Christianity is just another superstitious religion will be put into question.

If the folks back home don't have much experience with or working knowledge of religion, then this may work in your students' favor. If I have a fuzzy, general idea of something, the experience of a particular instance has a tendency to replace the generality. I once had a fuzzy, general idea of what it meant to fly in a plane. But, once I actually flew in one, that experience easily replaced my previous general idea. In a similar way, if all the folks back home have is a general idea of religion, the particular experience of knowing an embodied Christian might dislodge the general idea.

In other words, everytime someone tells them their faith is just another superstitious religion, they can respond with a smile and then continue impressing their friends and family with their uncanny ability to love and be gracious to all people without exception. Someone will notice. ;)

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you could say, the cross is not a “good luck charm”. If Christian means a disciple of Jesus, he is a person who believes what Jesus said and rejects all superstitious beliefs.

Are you a disciple of Jesus?
OK, but it is sold in China with other good luck charms.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I can't argue against your second point about communists.. but China does have a good number of Filipino immigrants, most of them are house helpers or nanny's, and some are selected more than other asians as english teachers.
I was thinking more like migrants we are trying to keep out, but I see what you are saying now and there could be lots with crosses. There are plenty of Chinese low waged workers.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I thought what I was trying to offer was a bit much.

Maybe the best response your students can offer is the example of their lives. If Christ has made a difference in their lives, which I am sure is the case, then the way they relate to their friends and family will be their most powerful witness.

As they exhibit the character of Christ, i.e. the fruit of the Spirit, the assumption that Christianity is just another superstitious religion will be put into question.

If the folks back home don't have much experience with or working knowledge of religion, then this may work in your students' favor. If I have a fuzzy, general idea of something, the experience of a particular instance has a tendency to replace the generality. I once had a fuzzy, general idea of what it meant to fly in a plane. But, once I actually flew in one, that experience easily replaced my previous general idea. In a similar way, if all the folks back home have is a general idea of religion, the particular experience of knowing an embodied Christian might dislodge the general idea.

In other words, everytime someone tells them their faith is just another superstitious religion, they can respond with a smile and then continue impressing their friends and family with their uncanny ability to love and be gracious to all people without exception. Someone will notice. ;)
I agree, but there could be immediate push back when the friends and family heard: "I am a Christian".

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree, but there could be immediate push back when the friends and family heard: "I am a Christian".

I bet. Being Christian in China is probably not advantageous. God bless them. So, they can't really engage in detailed discussion regarding the difference between Christianity and other religions, and they can't necessarily come right out and say they're Christian. I'm at a loss. I'm terribly intrigued and would love to help, but I just don't know.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Should they be and can they be?
Hmmm, Christians who worry about demons, hauntings, possessions, good places, bad places, cities or towns with bad spirits are probably superstitious. You ask should Christians be superstitious; no. You ask can they be; yes, lots are. I hope it is a minority but not so small that you never meet any.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm, Christians who worry about demons, hauntings, possessions, good places, bad places, cities or towns with bad spirits are probably superstitious. You ask should Christians be superstitious; no. You ask can they be; yes, lots are. I hope it is a minority but not so small that you never meet any.
OK

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟802,426.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I bet. Being Christian in China is probably not advantageous. God bless them. So, they can't really engage in detailed discussion regarding the difference between Christianity and other religions, and they can't necessarily come right out and say they're Christian. I'm at a loss. I'm terribly intrigued and would love to help, but I just don't know.
If you suffer and even die for the cause is that bad?
I personally do not want them to get hurt and I worry about it more than they do.

• Friendly
Reactions: ~Zao~
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you suffer and even die for the cause is that bad?
I personally do not want them to get hurt and I worry about it more than they do.

Lord have mercy. Yes, I can imagine you don't. My position: to what extent a person is willing to face the persecution of others for her faith is up to that person. After all, there is only one Lord of the conscience and no one can decide what the Lord has laid on another's heart.

Christian martyrdom is a complex subject. Should one flee or not (see article below)? In the early church some people even sought out martyrdom, and so others spoke against such "voluntary martyrdom."

I would not say that giving up the body for the faith is bad. I would say one should not seek it, at least not all at once. God made life for the sake of life in the divine Presence. If we are meant to live, then seeking death is a bit counter-intuitive. Nonetheless, being willing to die under the assurance that God will raise one to new life, that is (hopefully) the outcome of a robust faith. If we are dying to self day-by-day, then fear of death should decrease, proportionally. Nonetheless, most of us are not presented with the opportunity to die-to-self all in one fell swoop.

I pray for your students, and for you. I hope they can avoid the harshest of human malevolence. It's heartbreaking they cannot live this life of faith in peace.

To Flee or Not to Flee? Matthew 10:23 and Third Century Flight in Persecution in: Scrinium Volume 14 Issue 1 (2018)

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Lord have mercy. Yes, I can imagine you don't. My position: to what extent a person is willing to face the persecution of others for her faith is up to that person. After all, there is only one Lord of the conscience and no one can decide what the Lord has laid on another's heart.

Christian martyrdom is a complex subject. Should one flee or not (see article below)? In the early church some people even sought out martyrdom, and so others spoke against such "voluntary martyrdom."

I would not say that giving up the body for the faith is bad. I would say one should not seek it, at least not all at once. God made life for the sake of life in the divine Presence. If we are meant to live, then seeking death is a bit counter-intuitive. Nonetheless, being willing to die under the assurance that God will raise one to new life, that is (hopefully) the outcome of a robust faith. If we are dying to self day-by-day, then fear of death should decrease, proportionally. Nonetheless, most of us are not presented with the opportunity to die-to-self all in one fell swoop.

I pray for your students, and for you. I hope they can avoid the harshest of human malevolence. It's heartbreaking they cannot live this life of faith in peace.

To Flee or Not to Flee? Matthew 10:23 and Third Century Flight in Persecution in: Scrinium Volume 14 Issue 1 (2018)
That’s another reason that I think wearing a cross is not such a good luck charm. It was a popular fate to be thrown to the lions and like Daniel I don’t think anyone should hide who they are. But the pendulum is always moving from one direction to the other in it’s attempt to balance the scales...

Upvote 0