Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
some could be two people so how can you speak for everyone?
It is what some of my students perceived in watching some people carrying the Bible around and holding it up.
Well, I only can respond to what is written on the page. When the writers respond by saying in one way or other that they meant something else, that is not my fault.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why going through Luke? Is it a class about Christianity?

We know from Christ a key way to know when we are seeing the real thing: John 13:35 By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another."
So, if responding to a question: "what's the difference?" I might respond by saying, "Well, Christ said, "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." So, Christianity according to Christ shows up outwardly to other people as a way of life that involves actions that are visibly verifiable. Of course, loving your neighbor as yourself, or doing to others as you would have them do to you -- these are actions, see, not superstitions. So, the superstitious may not be the real thing."

Also, as a prelude, let me 2nd or 5th or 10th the suggestions about getting at what the word 'superstitious' means also.

Like asking:

"Isn't a superstition believing that an object or action has magical powers, like for instance a feather, or a horoscope?"

You may be able to get a substantive discussion going that way.
Yes, we just have a booth at the beginning of the school year teaching English and/or Scripture. We use the Bible to teach English, but if the student wants more Bible and to understand Christianity we just use the Bible and start where they want to or need. Mostly it is one of the Gospels. We had lots of students sign up more than we can handle.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
People are superstitious.... And People are part of religions.....So therefore, there will be superstitious people in every religion. So one cant really link the idea of superstition to any one religion..... It is most likely something handed down through family and friends....like stepping on cracks breaking backs.

Either way, one who judges the religion, should be one who has spent a lot of time in it, and or studying it....Just like you had to, to be qualified to teach the subject you teach.

So my first response would be to ask them how much time have they spent in Christianity to qualify themselves to be a judge of them. Ask them would they respect you as there teacher, if you had the same experience in your subject as they had with Christianity......would you even be qualified to speak on your subject with the same knowledge.

If not, what they say about Christianity can be dismissed.....and they can be deemed unqualified to speak on it.

Ask them to come and see the Man who can tell them all about themselves.....if you know how to do this... After.....they will know the truth and be set free.

I spiritually strong person would not concern themselves with, or be moved at all by these matters......this only affect the religious.
I did not communicate will to you. The students have been taught by people they do not really trust that Christianity is just superstition, but if they believed it they would not be in my class.
How should they address someone who sincerely thinks Christianity is like all the other religions which are all superstitions?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My students understanding is not a problem since we will study together for a long time, but it is how they approach their friends and family.
They could say: "Christianity is not a superstition, but______."
or "to be superstitious is not logical, but Christianity is logical in that_________. "
Help?

Yes, I missed that. It's not your students, but their friends and family back home. Also, I now understand that those at home believe all religion is superstition, including Christianity. Hmm. I wish I had an easy answer. I doubt what I am about to say is what you are looking for; nonetheless, I'll throw caution to the wind... :)

I am assuming the folks back home are materialists/naturalists, especially given the context of communist China. One way your students might help the folks back home see that Christianity is not simply another "superstition" is to first put into doubt their friends' and families' assumptions concerning naturalism/materialism. By planting doubt in the materialistic/naturalistic assumptions of their family and friends, they are making room for theism as a viable alternative (at least for argument's sake). If they can show that theism is at least an option worth considering, then the theism of the three Abrahamic religions has as unique feature that can be used to show how the Abrahamic religions (and therefore, Christianity) are different from other religions.

There are a number of ways to try and put into doubt the assumptions of a materialist/naturalist. More often than not, it will be a matter of chipping away at their assumptions with various arguments (or "possibilities") rather than a one-time slam dunk. Just one example to get the juices flowing: The materialist/naturalist might assume that all of their thoughts, emotions, desires, motivations, etc. are ultimately explicable via natural processes in the brain. But is that right? Is it really the case that their love for each other, their ability to recognize what is good, their desire to have a fulfilling life, their goals and purposes, all of it can simply be reduced to a few neurons firing off in their brains? (Keep in mind that the students are trying to plant seeds of doubt-making room for an alternative way of seeing things) If our experiences can't be reduced to neurons firing off in our brains, then what is the source of our sense of meaning, purpose, our love and desires, and so on? A loving God, perhaps? This is just one example of a possible way to try and chip away at the materialist's/naturalist's assumptions. There are certainly other ways of approach

The idea is not so much to convince the folks back home that God exists (at least not initially), but simply to put into doubt their assumptions that keep them from considering God as a viable option. If and when they are open to the possibility (for argument's sake) of God as a viable option, then they can begin to separate Christianity (or better: the three Abrahamic religions) from most other religions by putting forward the possibility that this One God is also Creator. Here they are arguing for monotheism, and separating the monotheistic conception of God (understood according to the Abrahamic religions) from various superstitious religions (idol worship, totems, amulets, or whatever) and also from various eastern conceptions that don't think of God as personal. The conception of One God as Creator seems almost unique to the three Abrahamic religions. Once they have done that, then they can begin to put forward a case for Christ, if they are so led.

It really is a process. Here is the approach I am suggesting:
1) Chip away at the naturalist/materialist assumptions in various ways
2) For arguments sake, put forward the possibility of monotheism as another viable option to materialism/naturalism
3) For arguments sake, make the distinction between God as Creator (monotheism) and other religions (various kinds of paganism, animism, and eastern conceptions of god that do not assume a Creator/Personal God)
4) If, at this point, the folks back home are open to the possibility of theism, then it's a good opportunity make the case for Christ. (There is no sense in trying to make a case for Christ if the recipient isn't even open to theism).

Whatever the case, and in answer to your question, if they succeed so far as (3), they have gone a long way in showing that Christianity is not just another "superstition." That doesn't mean that the folks back home have now come to faith (maybe so or may not), but at least the folks at home may now recognize the difference between the "superstitions" they are accustomed to seeing and monotheism, which includes Christianity.

So, yeah. I'm almost certain this is not as helpful as you want, haha. This situation you are referring to is complex and would take some time and commitment to really address. But if they are friends and family of your students, maybe such time and commitment is not a problem. I wish I could be of more help. :)

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, I do friendspeak but do not like the book and only use scripture, but I have others who want more Bible and we do Bible lessons.
Oh :cool:
I would just say it’s moral cultivation thru spiritual means that connect to heavenly things.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I teach Chinese Students in Dallas Universities and they say: one of the criticisms they hear in China about Christians is “Christians are superstitious”, so what would be a good come back answer to that comment?

Some Christians Chinese seem to make the cross they wear or the Bible they constantly hold into a “good luck charm” which turns off nonbelieving Chinese seeing them as being superstitious, so what should the spiritually strong say to these and/or the nonbelievers if anything?

I know we have to define “superstition”, but we also have to live with the definition others have and the significance they attach to the word.
There are christians who are superstitious, and their superstitious beliefs can vary depending on the denomination and the country they're in. There are those who have rosaries on their rear view mirror or clutch because of beliefs (and also it being cultural to some people) some countries even have the car blessed by a priest.

Since you've detailed that this view on christians is from China, well (depending where in china) it is highly likely that the Christians they encounter there are Filipino immigrants, that is the closest Asian country that is dominantly Christian.
Filipinos are in majority Catholic and their Catholicism is similar to that of Latin America, so it's understandable why Chinese may think this.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟103,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I teach Chinese Students in Dallas Universities and they say: one of the criticisms they hear in China about Christians is “Christians are superstitious”, so what would be a good come back answer to that comment?

Some Christians Chinese seem to make the cross they wear or the Bible they constantly hold into a “good luck charm” which turns off nonbelieving Chinese seeing them as being superstitious, so what should the spiritually strong say to these and/or the nonbelievers if anything?

I know we have to define “superstition”, but we also have to live with the definition others have and the significance they attach to the word.
Just ask them, "What do you mean by that?" Then let them explain. No need to find a "good comeback answer" when you don't know the context of the question. Whether you answer them to your satisfaction or not doesn't validate their criticism nor does it make what they're criticizing worthy of responding too. Anecdotal statements about a "good luck charm" turning people off may need to be addressed at some point, but the real question is "Who do you say Jesus is?" Everything else is a smokescreen. Get to the heart of the matter. Grace and Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quasiblogo

Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2007
Continental U.S.
✟971,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Superstition", to the officials of the People's Republic of China, means that which is not grounded in the here-and-now "realism" of communism--and which detracts from the propagation of China's one-party rule system.

I would think that archeology and prophetic fulfillment would help in responses.

Using C.S Lewis concept of "myth" could also be useful, in that everything is passed along as a story. These universally express the desire of the human heart, even the true story. Yes, there is one story that stems from the truth--the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

C. S. Lewis, Myth, and Fact

The crucifix is a symbol; likewise the hammer and cycle on the Chinese flag express the myth of a utopia of workers. But, is that latter myth--that superstition, true?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some areas are severely persecuting Christians, but that might help the growth and not slow it up.
For some of my students to become Christian and return home will put their life in danger (especially those from Beijing). They know of the midnight bus ride where you never return.
Yes most of the crosses (over 200) have bene torn down.
Persecution hinders Christianity. It may be a sign Christians have not gone over to the enemy.

Reverend Richard Wurmbrand worked with the underground church in Soviet era Romania. They had to meet in secret or be arrested. He was brought out of prison by a European Christian group paying ransom money. Wurmbrand and his wife went to America. He set up a charity to fund smuggling Bibles and aid to Christians behind the Iron Curtain. He also set up a Bible printing press in Maoist China. It was set up in a tunnel until the Communists found it and destroyed it. Wurmbrand lived into his 90’s.

Reactions: Quasiblogo
Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My students are not the issue, but the Criticism is an issue. What do you say when a person tells you: "Christianity is just a superstition"?
What comes to mind is to answer something like, "What you are proposing could be true. Let's look further into the facts and come to a logical conclusion together. That way you can open up the dialogue of why your students would conclude that Christians are superstitious, you could also discuss how all societies have superstitions and identify the ones in the students' own culture (and discuss whether hanging on to those superstitions is actually logical), and you could possibly take the discussion into an education of God as He reveals Himself in the Scriptures through His interactions with mankind recorded in the Bible the laws of God that make life work, how we've all broken those laws, how Jesus brought us back into fellowship with this loving God, and help the students realize that they are, in the image of God, given choice to accept the wonderful invitation to this relationship and find out for themselves.

I'll make note that the logical start is in the beginning - Creation then on to the other stories. Often cutting to the "Jesus loves you and died for you" line doesn't make sense until we realize how God set this up from the beginning. Realizing God's intense desire for His creation, His tender mercy, His desire for His people to rule themselves and have a peaceful society compared to the flagrant rebellion of people again and again, to the point of sacrificing their own children for their lusts and how they ruined their societies to the point that being ruled by large pagan empires was more safe than what they were doing to themselves - that sets the backdrop to why salvation that allows us to turn or return to God and His ways is such a wonderful offer.

May God give you strong help in handling this great opportunity, Friend!

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I teach Chinese Students in Dallas Universities and they say: one of the criticisms they hear in China about Christians is “Christians are superstitious”
Some are. Some Christians are superstitious.

Upvote 0

~Zao~

Wisdom’s child
Site Supporter
Jun 27, 2007
✟100,595.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Keeping in mind the Oversea Chinese Missionary Movement of the early 1900’s before the Japanese invasion might offer some insight as well.
Christianity in China ~ Watchman Nee and the Holiness Movement in China in comparison to a Neo-Confusian Perspective ~ an interesting read~ from Western UniversityScholarship@Western 2018

Electronic thesis and Dissertation Repository

https://ir.lib.uwo.ca/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7257&context=etd

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Some Christians Chinese seem to make the cross they wear or the Bible they constantly hold into a “good luck charm” which turns off nonbelieving Chinese seeing them as being superstitious, ...

I think you could say, the cross is not a “good luck charm”. If Christian means a disciple of Jesus, he is a person who believes what Jesus said and rejects all superstitious beliefs.

Are you a disciple of Jesus?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I missed that. It's not your students, but their friends and family back home. Also, I now understand that those at home believe all religion is superstition, including Christianity. Hmm. I wish I had an easy answer. I doubt what I am about to say is what you are looking for; nonetheless, I'll throw caution to the wind... :)

I am assuming the folks back home are materialists/naturalists, especially given the context of communist China. One way your students might help the folks back home see that Christianity is not simply another "superstition" is to first put into doubt their friends' and families' assumptions concerning naturalism/materialism. By planting doubt in the materialistic/naturalistic assumptions of their family and friends, they are making room for theism as a viable alternative (at least for argument's sake). If they can show that theism is at least an option worth considering, then the theism of the three Abrahamic religions has as unique feature that can be used to show how the Abrahamic religions (and therefore, Christianity) are different from other religions.

There are a number of ways to try and put into doubt the assumptions of a materialist/naturalist. More often than not, it will be a matter of chipping away at their assumptions with various arguments (or "possibilities") rather than a one-time slam dunk. Just one example to get the juices flowing: The materialist/naturalist might assume that all of their thoughts, emotions, desires, motivations, etc. are ultimately explicable via natural processes in the brain. But is that right? Is it really the case that their love for each other, their ability to recognize what is good, their desire to have a fulfilling life, their goals and purposes, all of it can simply be reduced to a few neurons firing off in their brains? (Keep in mind that the students are trying to plant seeds of doubt-making room for an alternative way of seeing things) If our experiences can't be reduced to neurons firing off in our brains, then what is the source of our sense of meaning, purpose, our love and desires, and so on? A loving God, perhaps? This is just one example of a possible way to try and chip away at the materialist's/naturalist's assumptions. There are certainly other ways of approach

The idea is not so much to convince the folks back home that God exists (at least not initially), but simply to put into doubt their assumptions that keep them from considering God as a viable option. If and when they are open to the possibility (for argument's sake) of God as a viable option, then they can begin to separate Christianity (or better: the three Abrahamic religions) from most other religions by putting forward the possibility that this One God is also Creator. Here they are arguing for monotheism, and separating the monotheistic conception of God (understood according to the Abrahamic religions) from various superstitious religions (idol worship, totems, amulets, or whatever) and also from various eastern conceptions that don't think of God as personal. The conception of One God as Creator seems almost unique to the three Abrahamic religions. Once they have done that, then they can begin to put forward a case for Christ, if they are so led.

It really is a process. Here is the approach I am suggesting:
1) Chip away at the naturalist/materialist assumptions in various ways
2) For arguments sake, put forward the possibility of monotheism as another viable option to materialism/naturalism
3) For arguments sake, make the distinction between God as Creator (monotheism) and other religions (various kinds of paganism, animism, and eastern conceptions of god that do not assume a Creator/Personal God)
4) If, at this point, the folks back home are open to the possibility of theism, then it's a good opportunity make the case for Christ. (There is no sense in trying to make a case for Christ if the recipient isn't even open to theism).

Whatever the case, and in answer to your question, if they succeed so far as (3), they have gone a long way in showing that Christianity is not just another "superstition." That doesn't mean that the folks back home have now come to faith (maybe so or may not), but at least the folks at home may now recognize the difference between the "superstitions" they are accustomed to seeing and monotheism, which includes Christianity.

So, yeah. I'm almost certain this is not as helpful as you want, haha. This situation you are referring to is complex and would take some time and commitment to really address. But if they are friends and family of your students, maybe such time and commitment is not a problem. I wish I could be of more help. :)

Interesting.

I am trying to give my students a strong foundation for being a Christian and hopefully can witness to their friends the difference Christianity has made in their lives and can talk about that.

The doubt can certainly come from ignorance of Christianity: “How can they say Christianity is just another superstition religion”, since they cannot defend that statement, no one has even asked them to defend it.

The friends and family are more just normal Chinese not taking the time to find out about any religion, so it is not that they can defend materialism or naturalism.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are christians who are superstitious, and their superstitious beliefs can vary depending on the denomination and the country they're in. There are those who have rosaries on their rear view mirror or clutch because of beliefs (and also it being cultural to some people) some countries even have the car blessed by a priest.

Since you've detailed that this view on christians is from China, well (depending where in china) it is highly likely that the Christians they encounter there are Filipino immigrants, that is the closest Asian country that is dominantly Christian.
Filipinos are in majority Catholic and their Catholicism is similar to that of Latin America, so it's understandable why Chinese may think this.
Filipinos do not migrate to China.
There are tourist and business people traveling to China and some of my students have travel outside China or to Hong Kong.

it is the Communist spreading the idea really all religions are just superstitions, but without knowledge they can assume that since many religious people in china are very superstitious.

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Filipinos do not migrate to China.
There are tourist and business people traveling to China and some of my students have travel outside China or to Hong Kong.

it is the Communist spreading the idea really all religions are just superstitions, but without knowledge they can assume that since many religious people in china are very superstitious.
I can't argue against your second point about communists.. but China does have a good number of Filipino immigrants, most of them are house helpers or nanny's, and some are selected more than other asians as english teachers.

Upvote 0