Are Christians allowed to eat pork under the New Covenant?

• Thread starter LittleLambofJesus
  • Start date

Is it lawful for Christians to eat pork under the NC?

• Yes! It is now lawful under the NC!

• No! It is still unlawful under the NC

• I am not sure

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's because according to Jews talmud (although at the time of Paul's letters it was called the book of the law)

There is a law in it, that says no gentile can prepare food for a jew, otherwise it's not clean. He wasn't saying eat unclean meats, he was saying "look, I know certain people believe that if an unbeliever prepares food that it becomes unclean, but that's untrue".

This is why talmudic Jews won't eat food they themselves (or other talmudic Jews) didn't prepare even to this day. Or food that's not marked as kosher.

Even Peter himself said that this was referring to people. Jews at this time had laws where they (according to the book of the law, what we call the talmud today)
No jew could enter a gentiles home. They couldn't eat with a gentile, and they couldn't befriend a gentile, nor could a gentile enter a Jews home. This is why Peter was given this vision, because had he not received it, he might've not went with them.

He had the vision three times, and three gentiles came to his home.

Peter mentions this to them:

Acts 10:28 - 28And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.29Therefore came I unto you without gainsaying, as soon as I was sent for: I ask therefore for what intent ye have sent for me?

Peter brings up that, that was why he agreed to follow them.

Jesus never taught to eat unclean meats, we have to guard ourselves from things like that.
Please don't refer to the horrific Talmud when speaking of scripture, lets stick with scripture. Peter was still struggling with the law and the Old Covenant was fading away ready to vanish and it had not done so yet.

"13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away."(Hebrews 8:13 KJV)

"9 Which was a
figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; 10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation."(Hebrews 9:9,10 KJV)

God allowed the Jewish believers a time of reformation, in which these carnal ordinances and diverse washings were imposed upon them until the time of reformation. They were still struggling with the law and the temple and sacrifices all through Acts. In Acts 21 we see the thousands of Jews who believed who were still bound up under the law and they were also following the customs and going into the temple for animal sacrifices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In what regard? How so?
"7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was [past tense] glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:8 How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?9 For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.10 For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech:13 And not as Moses, which put a veil over his face, that the children of Israel could not stedfastly look to the end of that which is abolished:14 But their minds were blinded: for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart."2 Corinthians 3:7-14

even when reading Moses many are confused and blinded.

Notice the word end of the commandment, done away, abolished, a ministration of death and condemnation.

also we read about the law

"5 Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:6 From which some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling;7 Desiring to be teachers of the law; understanding neither what they say, nor whereof they affirm.8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;' (1 Timothy 1:5-10)

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They were told by Paul to eat anything the gentiles put before them

1 Corinthians 10:27
"If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake."

and God told peter to slay and eat unclean animals etc

"13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat. 14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean. 15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common."(Acts 10:13-15 KJV)
OUT OF CONTEXT!!!

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Context" is not well defined in these discussions.

What do we mean when we use the word?

Literary context is trying to understand the passage against the rest of the Bible.

Historical context is trying to understand the passage in light of the history and culture of the writers and recipients.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible clearly states no one can change a commandment, except God himself. Jesus came to uphold his fathers commands, so if God said do not eat unclean foods, as they are not meant to be food you us, Paul has no authority to come behind and say , you can eat whatever you want.

Acts 10 is about not calling Gentiles unclean, it is not saying Peters vision was a license to eat unclean food, since Peter said he has never eaten anything unclean and this was years after Jesus death, so they were still keeping the dietary law.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
They were told by Paul to eat anything the gentiles put before them
Sorry, common mistake so more research is needed. (i.e. not man's research, no. but as in God Says : Seek ME, and keep seeking ME, and you* will find ME - seek TRUTH, and keep seeking TRUTH, and you* will find TRUTH, and the TRUTH WILL SET FREE)
(*"you" is plural to everyone YHVH speaks to)

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The bible clearly states no one can change a commandment, except God himself. Jesus came to uphold his fathers commands, so if God said do not eat unclean foods, as they are not meant to be food you us, Paul has no authority to come behind and say , you can eat whatever you want.

Acts 10 is about not calling Gentiles unclean, it is not saying Peters vision was a license to eat unclean food, since Peter said he has never eaten anything unclean and this was years after Jesus death, so they were still keeping the dietary law.

Amen excellent post!

Bible details matter!

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, common mistake so more research is needed. (i.e. not man's research, no. but as in God Says : Seek ME, and keep seeking ME, and you* will find ME - seek TRUTH, and keep seeking TRUTH, and you* will find TRUTH, and the TRUTH WILL SET FREE)
(*"you" is plural to everyone YHVH speaks to)
just saying its a mistake doesn't mean it is. You have to show exactly why its not rightly divided

or your words mean nothing

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
just saying its a mistake doesn't mean it is. You have to show exactly why its not rightly divided

or your words mean nothing
The time it would take to show how many things are wrong is not available to me.
If you desire to learn the truth, you will first have to actually seek the truth, and keep seeking the truth, for quite some time. If not, don't worry, no one will make you believe something you don't want to believe. (realize that someone tricked you already, very much, with or without your consent)

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The time it would take to show how many things are wrong is not available to me.
If you desire to learn the truth, you will first have to actually seek the truth, and keep seeking the truth, for quite some time. If not, don't worry, no one will make you believe something you don't want to believe. (realize that someone tricked you already, very much, with or without your consent)
again a cop out answer. To me it shows you know nothing in this respect trying to correct me and seem puffed up with false knowledge. I used both verses related to believers being able to eat any food at all.

still waiting for your pontificating of what you think is right and wrong and where you think I errored.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it is you that would be exposed if you keep talking. Almost positive.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
are you part of the sacred name movement cult?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I don't understand why we would go to the bible about diet related issues. The comments about food were a BC cultural issue - In today's world the question of eating pork is - should you from a cholesterol perspective, and if you do - do it in moderation in order to maintain good health. The eating of pork has nothing to do with the spiritual paradigm of Christianity.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Good question.

So then for example "do not take God's name in vain" --- all those Christians at war with that commandment of God - raise your hands.
Heres a quick story that might help

Four young men are walking down a street, they see two big glass houses. On the biggest one it says "don't throw rocks at my house, you must love me, and don't throw rocks at my neighbors house you must love them also". Now the four lost young men didn't plan on throwing any rocks that day until they saw the sign that said don't do it. Then they threw the rocks and broke both houses windows.

A few weeks later they all were saved and became christians. Now they were walking down that same street and they saw the broken glass still around the houses. They went over and cleaned it up and said sorry to the man and the neighbours house also and bought new windows and told the man they were now christians and loved him and his neighbor.

Now the man took down the sign that said don't throw stones. He didn't need it anymore for those kids now loved him and his neighbor

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand why we would go to the bible about diet related issues

How about - because God made people and God wrote Lev 11 and as Christians we believe the Bible is the Word of God ?

Just a thought.

. The comments about food were a BC cultural issue

And what? you think maybe God did not know as much back then??

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
How about - because God made people and God wrote Lev 11 and as Christians we believe the Bible is the Word of God ?

Just a thought.

And what? you think maybe God did not know as much back then??
No I dont think people knew much about those things back then and hygeine and animal husbandry was at a totally different standard.

re Lev - that was written by an unknown author - many arguing it was narrated or perhaps even written by Moses. Now the bible was never intended to be a text of nutrition and animal husbandry through to the end of time. If that was its intention then its a sadly lacking text. Its intention is a spiritual guide and we should treat it as such.

Upvote 0