Are Christians allowed to eat pork under the New Covenant?

• Thread starter LittleLambofJesus
  • Start date

Is it lawful for Christians to eat pork under the NC?

• Yes! It is now lawful under the NC!

• No! It is still unlawful under the NC

• I am not sure

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dig4truth

Aug 23, 2014
✟38,877.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Christians can't sin without repentance and expect to be saved in the end (Hebrews 10:26-29). But they can never keep from sinning by trying to keep the letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law, for it will only cause them to sin more (Romans 7:7-11, Romans 6:14). Instead, by God's Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:16, Romans 8:13), Christians keep the New Covenant law of Jesus Christ (Galatians 6:2, John 14:15, Hebrews 7:12, Hebrews 8:6-13, Matthew 26:28), which forbids all manner of sin to those who want to be saved in the end (1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Galatians 5:19-21, Revelation 21:8).

But nowhere does the New Covenant law of Jesus Christ forbid Christians from eating pork.

I would have to disagree. In the New Covenant it says repeatedly to observe the commands of God. Not eating certain animals is one of those instructions.

Another point is that what Yeshua taught is no different than what the Father taught. It is a sin to add to the Word and also to take away from it. We should not assume that Yeshua, while being sinless, took away from the instructions of the Father or added to them.

Yeshua even said that He does not speak on His own but only what the Father has told Him.

John 8:28 So Jesus said, “When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me.

John 12:49 For I did not speak on My own initiative, but the Father Himself who sent Me has given Me a commandment as to what to say and what to speak.

John 14:10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.

We should not assume that Yeshua came along and made up different instructions from the Father's.

Was the Father's instruction to not eat pork? Of course.
Could Yeshua come along and contradict His Father and say that eating pork is now ok? Of course not.

If this is true then perhaps some are misinterpreting the scriptures.

The Father made a distinction between what was food and what was not food. Pig was not food. Could you eat it! Yes, but you can also eat Crayons too. I wouldn't recommend either.

The point being, when "all foods" are said to be clean, does this include non-foods? Of course not. It does not say all "things" but all "foods"; those plants and animals that the Father has said is food for mankind is what is clean to eat. But don't miss the larger point! In Mark 7 where this phrase is found, it is speaking about eating without washing hands - a tradition of man which the Pharisees held to rather than the instruction of God. It was this that Yeshua was teaching about. The phrase (thus He declared all foods clean) is in brackets and italicized, meaning that it probably was not in some of the original manuscripts. Regardless, it is not a declaration that all the things that the Father has said was NOT food is all of a sudden food now!

Lastly, in Peter's vision, there are two words that is used, "common" and "unclean". It was the word common that Peter was told to not use to apply to the Gentiles. It again, was a tradition of man vs. the instruction of the Father.

It is important to note that Peter was not told to call "unclean" animals "clean", but just the tradition of man that called certain men "common" and prevented the Gospel to the Gentiles. After all, if they would not even associate with these "common" people, then how could the Gospel reach them?

Ok, I think I've slain enough sacred cows for now. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to do what is pleasing to the Father. My suggestion is do it in spirit and truth.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For Jewish believers, it is not lawful.
I can see where it can be like when a Jew converts to Christ.
But as far as know, the majority of Christians aren't Jewish.
I respect the right of Jewish believers to their beliefs, as long as they respect the right of non-Jewish believers to their beliefs. Thoughts?

2 Corin 3:
12 Having therefore such a hope, we use great boldness of speech, 13 and are not as Moses, who put a veil upon his face, that the children of Israel should not look stedfastly on the end of that which was passing away: 14 but their minds were hardened: for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remaineth, it not being revealed to them that it is done away in Christ. 15 But unto this day, whensoever Moses is read, a veil lieth upon their heart. 16 But whensoever it shall turn to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord the Spirit.

Upvote 0

Dig4truth

Aug 23, 2014
✟38,877.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I can see where it can be like when a Jew converts to Christ.
But as far as know, the majority of Christians aren't Jewish.
I respect the right of Jewish believers to their beliefs, as long as they respect the right of non-Jewish believers to their beliefs. Thoughts?

2 Corin 3:
12 Having therefore such a hope, we use great boldness of speech, 13 and are not as Moses, who put a veil upon his face, that the children of Israel should not look stedfastly on the end of that which was passing away: 14 but their minds were hardened: for until this very day at the reading of the old covenant the same veil remaineth, it not being revealed to them that it is done away in Christ. 15 But unto this day, whensoever Moses is read, a veil lieth upon their heart. 16 But whensoever it shall turn to the Lord, the veil is taken away. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord the Spirit.

It's not really about "beliefs" but about the instructions of God.

The Holy Spirit leads us to obey God's instructions:

Rom 8:6-8 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Yeshua, our Shepherd, only has "one" flock. There is no difference in Messiah between Jew and non-Jew.

This "one flock" of God is identified by their love. Love is based on the instructions of God. Yeshua said:

Mat 22:36-40 "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” 37 And He said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the great and foremost commandment.39 The second is like it, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.”

Is it any wonder that Yeshua said, "If you love Me, keep my commandments"? We cannot love Him without doing that since love is based on the commands of God.

Upvote 0

Bible2+

Matthew 4:4
Sep 14, 2015
✟91,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dig4truth said in post #541:

In the New Covenant it says repeatedly to observe the commands of God.

That would be the New Covenant commands, not the abolished letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law's commands (Hebrews 7:18-19).

Dig4truth said in post #541:

Not eating certain animals is one of those instructions.

Not in the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It is important to note that Peter was not told to call "unclean" animals "clean", but just the tradition of man that called certain men "common" and prevented the Gospel to the Gentiles. After all, if they would not even associate with these "common" people, then how could the Gospel reach them?
How can the Gospel reach them today if they refuse to accept it?

Upvote 0

Dig4truth

Aug 23, 2014
✟38,877.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That would be the New Covenant commands, not the abolished letter of the Old Covenant Mosaic law's commands (Hebrews 7:18-19).

Not in the New Covenant.

Hebrews 7 is about the change of the priesthood, not the abolishment of the entire instructions of God in the Older Covenant. This change of the priesthood was prophesied in the Older Covenant.

How could the commands in the Newer Covenant be different from the ones in the Older Covenant? We know that the older instructions are based on love, from Yeshua's own Words. What would the newer commands be based on, in your opinion?

We also know that heaven and earth will be gone before one little letter or stroke of a pen will be done away with from the Law and Prophets. How do you justify this biblical truth?

But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to fail. Luke 16:7

Another important point is that Yeshua IS the Word made flesh! Has He been done away with also?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Pork is a sin for it is written: Nevertheless these shall ye not eat ; (Leviticus 11:4) And the swine ; he is unclean to you.; (Leviticus 11:7).
Even though people think that it was cleaned in Acts Chapter 11, the pig did not make the list!
However, God did make a few exceptions to the rule and the list is as follows:

You can eat: Fried bacon, Fried sausage patties
bbq pork ribs and pork chops
Fried cocktail sausages, Pepperoni pizza

These are just a few exceptions to the rule that God will allow. Please note that the first three items are Fried; not boiled or cooked in any other way.

Going back to Acts Chapter 11, God did say we could eat the rabbit. And when the subject came up about eating crawfish (I live in the Deep South), He said: How can you eat those things?!?;
Anyway, I love crayfish and even though they don't have fins and scales, yet they are good to eat. Catfish are also without scales, however, God doesn't mind if you eat them. And God couldn't believe that I eat eggs. Eggs are great!
Apparently, our dietary intake has changed over the millenniums of time, though pork still remains a sin.

Paul says it's fine to eat anything with thanksgiving. However, he also added a relative framework related to destroying the faith of someone who simply couldn't. Since there are way too many theological positions today, such consideration is not reasonable ... so I voted "other"

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hebrews 7 is about the change of the priesthood, not the abolishment of the entire instructions of God in the Older Covenant. This change of the priesthood was prophesied in the Older Covenant.

Another important point is that Yeshua IS the Word made flesh! Has He been done away with also?
Yep. Jesus is the great I AM and Yahweh in the flesh.
Now if we can only get the Jews and Muslims to believe that.

Revelation leaves no doubt that Jesus is Yahweh, the great I AM?

Rev 1:8
"I AM the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God,
"who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.
"

Reve 19:
12 The eyes of him as flame of fire and on the head of him many diadems, having Name having been written which no one has perceived except he.
13 And having been about cast/clothed cloak, having been dipped to blood and has been called the Name of him, the Word of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Paul says it's fine to eat anything with thanksgiving. However, he also added a relative framework related to destroying the faith of someone who simply couldn't. Since there are way too many theological positions today, such consideration is not reasonable ... so I voted "other"

Paul said this at the end of his life:

Then Paul made his defense: "I have done nothing wrong against the Jewish law or against the temple or against Caesar." Acts 25:8

Was he lying?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Then Paul made his defense: "I have done nothing wrong against the Jewish law or against the temple or against Caesar." Acts 25:8

Was he lying?

No, the passage where he talks about food and faith implies that he didn't eat meat just for the sake of one believer. A real stand up guy that Paul.

Upvote 0

Dig4truth

Aug 23, 2014
✟38,877.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Well, I usually have turkey at Thanksgiving. ^_^
The passage in I Cor 8 is about meat sacrificed to idols and not what kind of meat the offering is. Paul would not eat pork because it is against the instruction of God.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Well, I usually have turkey at Thanksgiving. ^_^
The passage in I Cor 8 is about meat sacrificed to idols and not what kind of meat the offering is. Paul would not eat pork because it is against the instruction of God.
Pork is pretty useful when vegans and muslims try to get mystical on me, it repels them. But it's not my favourite kind of meat.

Upvote 0

Dig4truth

Aug 23, 2014
✟38,877.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Was he lying?

Excellent question. No, he was not lying because as I said above the passage in I Cor is about things sacrificed to idols and not pork or anything else non-kosher.

But isn't it interesting that the very person most people point to for teaching against the instructions of God is the one that admits he doesn't disobey them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,768.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Pork is pretty useful when vegans and muslims try to get mystical on me, it repels them. But it's not my favourite kind of meat.

This reminds me of an Egyptian Christian I once knew. He told me that in Egypt Christians are severely restricted by the Muslims. They learned centuries ago that the Muslims would steal their cattle, sheep, and chickens and get away with it. Thus, the Christians in Egypt have become expert hog farmers and the Muslims never rustle their hogs.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
A mystical vegan; now that's going to require a pretty good sized hunk of ham to repel that!
that being said, my intimate understanding of the divine mysteries may be different than yours.

Upvote 0

Bible2+

Matthew 4:4
Sep 14, 2015
✟91,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dig4truth said in post #548:

Hebrews 7 is about the change of the priesthood . . .

Note that it's also about a change of the law:

Hebrews 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

And the New Covenant law has no food restrictions.

Dig4truth said in post #548:

We also know that heaven and earth will be gone before one little letter or stroke of a pen will be done away with from the Law and Prophets.

Matthew 5:17-18 means Jesus Christ came the 1st time not to abolish the prophecies in the Mosaic law and the Old Testament prophets regarding the Messiah's/the Christ's 1st coming, but to fulfill all those prophecies (Luke 24:44-48; e.g. Acts 3:22-26, Isaiah 53).

Upvote 0

Dig4truth

Aug 23, 2014
✟38,877.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Note that it's also about a change of the law:

Hebrews 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

And the New Covenant law has no food restrictions.

Why would they need to be restated? It also says nothing about having relations with animals, do you suspect that is now kosher too? Of course not. Both Testiments are a unified whole.

Remember also that they are spoken of in a passive sense. Meaning that when mentioned they are assumed to be an instruction of God. This is evident in Peter's vision, where he mentions "unclean" animals.

Matthew 5:17-18 means Jesus Christ came the 1st time not to abolish the prophecies in the Mosaic law and the Old Testament prophets regarding the Messiah's/the Christ's 1st coming, but to fulfill all those prophecies (Luke 24:44-48; e.g. Acts 3:22-26, Isaiah 53).

Agreed, but remember that His second coming is also prophesied and those events have not been fufilled yet. Yeshua came to fulfill all of the prophecies in the Older Covenant and since they all have not been fulfilled, and since heaven and earth still stand; the instructions of God have not been done away with. Not even one little jot or tittle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0