Are Christians allowed to eat pork under the New Covenant?

• Thread starter LittleLambofJesus
  • Start date

Is it lawful for Christians to eat pork under the NC?

• Yes! It is now lawful under the NC!

• No! It is still unlawful under the NC

• I am not sure

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Matthew 15:11
It is well known that crabs, shrimp, lobsters, oysters, clams, etc are the oceans cleaners. They clean up the dead and their bodies contain the toxins.

Actually, bony fish, considered kosher, can have some of the same toxins, only in greater amounts due to bio-accumulation. They also can have toxins of their own, such as scromboid poisoning, which is a histamine poisoning caused by the tissues of dead fish breaking down.

Shellfish are often lower in mercury and higher in omega-3 fatty acids. Shrimp, oysters, clams, etc. in particular eat only plankton, which puts them very low on the food chain. They may look wierd, which is probably the reason they are not considered kosher, but they aren't necessarily any less healthy than any other seafood.

See that's the thing. The dietary laws were given for the health and well being as well as the Holiness of G0ds people.

This sounds more like Maimonedes rationalism.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Pork is a sin for it is written: “Nevertheless these shall ye not eat…” (Leviticus 11:4) “And the swine … he is unclean to you.” (Leviticus 11:7).
Even though people think that it was cleaned in Acts Chapter 11, the pig did not make the list! However, God did make a few exceptions to the rule and the list is as follows:

Acts 10:28 God has shown me that I should not call any man unholy or unclean.

As you point out - some change the Gospel and suggest that instead of Jesus dying on the cross to cleanse mankind of sin -- he really died to cleanse the pig "call no pig unclean" is how they read it -- apparently.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
filter feeder fish have millions of times more toxin concentration than so-called 'clean' fish.

How Does Toxic Mercury Get into Fish?

“Something like a shellfish, which is a filter feeder, that’s very close to the bottom of the food chain, is generally not as high in methylmercury as something like a tuna or a mackerel or swordfish or striped bass—all the fish, actually, that we really like to eat,” Lamborg said.

Herring is also better than tuna for the same reasons, it's lower on the foodchain.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Acts chapter 10 removed dietary restrictions.

Acts 10:28 certainly removes dietary restriction for those who eat people. "Call no man unclean".

But Christ did not die for pigs or shellfish. So they have the same toxins, parasites etc as they did before.

As many people will admit.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
And as for the "NEW Covenant" -- Jeremiah 31:31-33 well it is the same in the NT Hebrews 8:6-10 were "God's LAW is written on heart and mind".

And the term for "LAW" is the one that Jeremiah and his readers would have known (as per exegetical method of accuracy)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This little piggy went to market
This little piggy stayed home
This little piggy had roast beef (savage)
This little piggy had none
And this little piggy was ordained to become bacon...mmm...sweet, tasty bacon....

• Haha
Reactions: Tangible
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Acts chapter 10 removed dietary restrictions.

Acts 10:28 certainly removes dietary restriction for those who eat people. "Call no man unclean".

But Christ did not die for pigs or shellfish. So they have the same toxins, parasites etc as they did before.

You must be joking.

Indeed - Peter applies the vision to "substance" - which is to not claim that gentiles are excluded from the Gospel as spiritually "unclean".

While others seem to want to re-invent the chapter as if God was trying to change the biology of the pig

or more precisely (since no pig is mentioned in 1 Cor 10) trying to change the biology of bats,rats,dogs,bats so that they could all be included as valid sandwich toppings. (AS IF God was more concerned that you have a rat-sandwich than He was about opening up evangelism to gentiles!!)

Upvote 0

Big Drew

Believer
Site Supporter
Nov 10, 2009
Alabama
✟74,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Indeed - Peter applies the vision to "substance" - which is to not claim that gentiles are excluded from the Gospel as spiritually "unclean".

While others seem to want to re-invent the chapter as if God was trying to change the biology of the pig

or more precisely (since no pig is mentioned in 1 Cor 10) trying to change the biology of bats,rats,dogs,bats so that they could all be included as valid sandwich toppings. (AS IF God was more concerned that you have a rat-sandwich than He was about opening up evangelism to gentiles!!)
Never had rat...squirrel and rabbit are pretty good eats though. But not possum...it's kinda stringy and greasy.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

In some cultures those things would be related.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In some cultures those things would be related.

True enough - witchcraft eating rats etc very common in some cultures.

In the Bible -- starting before the flood ... God made distinction between clean and unclean animals for mankind - as we see in Genesis 7 it was already known. God calls the eating of mice and rats, unclean animals .. abomination in Isaiah 66 and even says that at the end of the world - people are called to give an account for it.

But as you point out - eating dogs, cats, rats and bats is a strong attraction for some - too strong to give up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
True enough - witchcraft eating rats etc very common in some cultures.

Go to the average Asian grocery, there is plenty of un-kosher food there. Nothing to do with witchcraft.

In the Bible -- starting before the flood ... God made distinction between clean and unclean animals for mankind - as we see in Genesis 7 it was already known. God calls the eating of mice and rats, unclean animals .. abomination in Isaiah 66 and even says that at the end of the world - people are called to give an account for it.

I'm not Jewish, therefore I don't have to follow Jewish ritual purity laws.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Go to the average Asian grocery, there is plenty of un-kosher food there. Nothing to do with witchcraft.

I did not say you must be a witch to eat rats. As we both know.

I'm not Jewish, therefore I don't have to follow Jewish ritual purity laws.

Is it "ritual" to not eat diseased animals, road kill, animals that die of themselves, and rats?? really? That is a "new ritual" most Bible scholars never heard of.

"A ritual is a sequence of activities involving gestures, words, and objects, performed in a sequestered place, and performed according to set sequence."

There is no such thing as 'the ceremony of not eating a rat' in the Bible -- as I am sure we both know.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
By "ritual purity", I am referring to the Jewish prohibitions that certain foods were "unclean". They have no bearing on me as a non-Jew, since I am not a member of the Mosaic covenant community.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,457.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
By "ritual purity", I am referring to the Jewish prohibitions that certain foods were "unclean". They have no bearing on me as a non-Jew, since I am not a member of the Mosaic covenant community.

Unclean vs clean animal distinctions where there for all mankind before the flood (see Genesis 7) long before any Jews existed.

Or were Adam and Noah descended from Moses in your view?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Unclean vs clean animal distinctions where there for all mankind before the flood (see Genesis 7) long before any Jews existed.

The Flood story actually has two traditions amalgamated into one- one is the Priestly tradition that focuses on ritual purity, the other does not. The covenant God made with Noah did not preclude eating any unclean animals, but it did preclude certain practices in slaughtering or killing for food.

Or were Adam and Noah descended from Moses in your view?

Noah and Adam were not Jews. The Jewish ritual purity laws were given to the Jews for specific reasons, to separate them out as a people, and were never binding on all human beings in general.

Upvote 0