tulsa oklahoma
✟8,173.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
yes christians are really persecuted in america and all around the countries look around you and ope up your eyes and god will show ya where be encouraged keep the faith yours in christ prophetess cherrie
prayer.gif

Upvote 0

Corke

May 18, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm confused about what you are asking about the bible verse? I just meant that,if you follow the bible and the laws of the bible,people are going to hate you for it.

"Matthew 10:22 All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved."

All right, let's look at this verse again. Will all men hate you? Even the ones who are also Christians? And what about women?

But I'll let that slide. My question was: do all Christians have to "stand firm to the end"? Even to the point of obeying the second commandment? You do know that by taking a picture with your phone or camera, you're violating God's law?
How about Christians that don't stand firm to the end? Will God save them too? I thought the entire point of Jesus dying for you lot was to forgive your sins. If all your sins are forgiven, do you really need to stand firm? Does quantity of sin matter? Your religion makes absolutely no sense to me.

Upvote 0

Corke

May 18, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
yes christians are really persecuted in america and all around the countries look around you and ope up your eyes and god will show ya where be encouraged keep the faith yours in christ prophetess cherrie
prayer.gif

Okay, I've looked. I see no persecution, only silly Christian fundamentalists starting wars (IRA, LRA, crusades etc.) and getting in the way of stem cell research, which has the potential to cure Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

So, can you please provide quotes and examples of persecution? It would be really helpful if I could understand what exactly you're on about.

Upvote 0

Corke

May 18, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to add too(sorry,I know I'm writing a lot.)

Not writing a lot, copying and pasting random bible verses a lot.

I don't think everyone in america is a christian,we certainly don't live like we are. a lot of people identify with that and say they are but they don't really believe or they don't live it. I was an example of this too. I've always believe in Jesus,but I didn't live it. I knew He was there,but I didn't love Him and I did whatever I wanted.

Did I say everyone in America was Christian? However, the majority certainly are. Here's the statistics, straight from Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
The majority of Americans (76% to 80%) identify themselves as Christians, mostly within Protestant and Catholic denominations, accounting for 51% and 25% of the population respectively.

Here are verses that illustrate what I mean better I think:

Why would you rely on verses taken out of context? Can you not present what you think with your own words? It might be more relevant to your situation, which is 21st century America, rather than 1st century Middle East.

James 2:14-26
New International Version (NIV)
Faith and Deeds

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds?(A) Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food.(B) 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?(C) 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.(D)
Absolutely no mention of persecution anywhere here. Just some advice to take action if you have faith. Which I don't agree with, but whatever.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds,(E) and I will show you my faith(F) by my deeds.(G) 19 You believe that there is one God.(H) Good! Even the demons believe that(I)—and shudder.
Again, persecution? You're showing your faith by saying you're a Christian. You don't need to do anything else.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[a]?(J) 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?(K) 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together,(L) and his faith was made complete by what he did.(M) 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”(N) and he was called God’s friend.(O) 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

That's horrible. Why would a loving, kind God ask you to sacrifice your son? If God told me to sacrifice my son on an altar, I'd tell him to go die in a hole. Seriously? That's proof of faith, being willing to sacrifice your own family members? So, you're saying that if God told you to murder your mother and father, you'd do it? That's messed up, it really is.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction?(P) 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.(Q)

That's interesting. So giving lodging to spies redeemed Rahab. This has more to do with helping your side out than persecution. I don't know why she was considered righteous for this, anyone in her position would have done so.

so to answer your first question better,about who persecutes christians in america,I would say that no matter where you go the devil persecutes christians.and just because someone says they are a christian doesn't me they are-only God knows what is in our hearts.I always believed in God growing up,but I don't think I was a christian until I started living for God. idk.. it's a confusing thing.what do you think?

I think that you didn't answer my question. The bible verses you threw at me had nothing to do with persecution. And may I ask how the Devil persecutes you? Like, does he trip you up when you walk or what?

Upvote 0

SavedByGraceAndLove65

May 16, 2012
✟15,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
okay,I'll try to explain what I meant better,but it's okay that we disagree.I want you to know I respect your beliefs.I was just trying to share my opinion,not trying to argue with you in anyway and if I've offended you somehow,I'm really sorry,I didn't mean to.i'm sorry i'm not being clear enough.maybe someone else can answer your questions better,but I'll do the best I can to explain what I meant.

what I was trying to get across with the bible verses is that not everyone who says they are a christian or identifies as being a christian in america(you say the numbers are 76%to 80%,and I believe you)is really a christian.(again,this is my opinion)I think because our country was founded by a majority of people with christian beliefs,it's become just a label for some people,they were raised being told they were christian or going to church on sunday,but they don't actually believe in God or live for God and have a relationship with Him,people view Him like santa or the easter bunny almost in some places,and the world has become so corrupt.America isn't exempt from that just because the founding fathers and first people were christians.I like how another poster put it a few pages back:

"We tend to generalize when referring to christians. I've read a lot about the church and all the christians. It's hard not to turn atheist if you look at other christians. Too many "pretenders" have used the church and Jesus' name to manipulate. I can give a single example: the catholic church murdered off a lot of people from other faiths during medieval times. (Including Spain's inquisition)"

I think the only way to identify a true christian is by how they live and if they strive to live like Jesus did,and if they believe in the bible and the Trinity and that Jesus died for our sins,not based on what they say.I would have "identified" myself as a christian and been part of that 80 percent when I was younger,but just because I said so didn't make it true,I didn't live for God and I hadn't accepted Christ into my heart. hence the bible verses about needing to have works and faith to truly be a christian,they go hand in hand. I don't think that there has to be some outside force to have persecution occur,I think it can occur with people who claim to be "christian" but aren't,people from that 80%. In my opinion it's almost worse to have people who claim to be christians lead you astray than to have an obvious threat from an outside party because it's easier to be led astray by a source you think is trustworthy than one that obviously isn't,and I think it's worse to be mistreated by people from your own church family than by people who aren't.I think it's starts when christians compromise our beliefs and go along with the world over the bible. so slowly,people lose their morals and now we're in a mess and it makes it hard to live for God as a christian and follow the bible when some people who also claim to be christians don't follow it.It gives a bad example to people who aren't christians,they think we are all that way,that we are no different from anyone else.I think that's why there is so much fighting amongst christians too,we are all very opinionated.:) But this is what happened to me,I woke up one day and realized I was essentially a fraud-I wasn't living for God at all,and I didn't have any relationship with Him,even though I've called myself a christian my whole life.I also think it's harder to stand up for what you believe in to a friend than it is to a stranger,because we care what our friends and families think of us and we care if we lose them,or if they don't like us or mistreat us,I think it hurts more to have friend mistreat you or shun or judge you than a stranger.Basically,I think it depends on what your definition of persecution is.i guess my definition of persecution (in america,and everywhere else) is being mistreated in any way(not just physically)being mocked,or shunned,or even just losing people we love, because we stand up for the bible and don't just go along with the crowd that is going against God's word,which doesn't always have to be an an outside party,it can be your own family.

I think you have a lot of great questions,and are very intelligent,you remind of a good friend of mine who is agnostic actually,we've had a lot of debates like this. but would you consider going to a church and asking a pastor your questions? I think you would find much clearer answers there than on the website,or from me,even though I'm trying.:) I'm doing the best I can to answer you,but a pastor would probably have much clearer more thorough answers. My friend is very much a darwin advocate,and I've learned a lot about her opinions and beliefs,because I want to be knowledgeable about what she believes instead of just dismissing it because I don't agree,and she has done the same for me with christianity.I think that's why you should talk to a pastor and learn about christianity before you decide that you don't agree,if you haven't already.(I don't know if you have,you can disregard what I've said if you have been to church)but wouldn't you agree that unless someone actually understands something completely,they can't have a valid opinion about it? you say it doesn't make sense to you, so I would say,go learn about it,and then if you still don't agree,no one can tell you it's because you don't understand.I know you can just point to science(and that's huge debate I don't want to get into,please,it'll go on forever.:)but I still think in order to really be able to dismiss something as untrue,you should understand what it is you are dismissing and not just all the outside reasons why you believe it's impossible.people all thought the world was flat,because of the "proof" and what they saw with their eyes,but they were wrong.

I think we will be surprised who is in heaven and who isn't,because we don't truly know someone else's heart,only God does. It seems like you want me to state a specific outside party like another religious group or something as the cause of persecution in america,and because we do have freedom of speech and people identifying with christianity,you are saying it doesn't exist like in other countries and my only point was that,while I agree we are lucky and persecution is not a severe in some ways,I do respectfully disagree with this,I think persecution against christians occurs everywhere,but I respect that you feel otherwise.

you asked about clarification about Matthew 22,and all I can say is,we don't interpret it at all the same way,and that this would be a good question to ask a pastor. I believe when it says "all men" it is referring to the whole of the human race,(mankind) not just the males of the species. also,it helps to always read the whole bible or at least the whole book of the bible,that might make it more clear because I believe it is talking about anyone who doesn't believe in the bible and isn't a christian,of course other true christians wouldn't hate you for believing in God and following the bible,they do too.

Referring to "standing firm until the end."
this goes into the debate about whether or not someone can lose salvation,and this is a really debatable topic even among christians. my personal belief is that once you are a christian you can't lose your salvation through anything,and if you do fall away somehow God calls us back to him.I think you can choose to not believe anymore because we have free will,but I'm not entirely certain how I feel about this,to be honest.if someone did turn away from God,I don't think that person was a true christian to begin with,just because you believe,I don't think it makes you a christian.but this talks more about what the verses I posted before were about faith plus works. I think once you truly accept christ into your heart He changes you,and once you give your life to God,you are saved forever,that you would never be able to lose your salvation because we are saved by mercy and Jesus' sacrifice,it is enough to cover everything.I believe the only thing separating people from God is unbelief,and when we choose to go our own way.i believe no matter what,if someone seeks God,He will answer and if they turn over their life to Him instead of going their own way,they will be saved.

You said "Jesus died for your lot." and I wanted to say Jesus died for everyone,not just the people who choose Him,He wants everyone to be saved and to choose Him,but He gave us freewill. again,I'm sorry if this doesn't answer your questions completely,
i'm trying my best to.I hope that someone else can answer you better,I'm sorry if this was confusing,but I hope it helps. take care.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Corke

May 18, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
okay,I'll try to explain what I meant better,but it's okay that we disagree.I want you to know I respect your beliefs.I was just trying to share my opinion,not trying to argue with you in anyway and if I've offended you somehow,I'm really sorry,I didn't mean to.i'm sorry i'm not being clear enough.maybe someone else can answer your questions better,but I'll do the best I can to explain what I meant.

Don't worry, you haven't offended me in any way at all. This is the way I debate online. Point-by-point breakdown of the other person's argument.

If it helps, you can think of me sipping a cup of tea and playing classical music on my iPod speakers while I reply to you. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I am angry, it simply means that I want to see you defend your point. I've never seen a Christian adequately defend their faith.

what I was trying to get across with the bible verses is that not everyone who says they are a christian or identifies as being a christian in america(you say the numbers are 76%to 80%,and I believe you)
You really shouldn't believe me. After all, I'm arguing against you, and I'm making an assertion. It's good practice to check out that assertion instead of believing or disbelieving it. A simple Google search will turn up pretty much anything you want to know.

Also, if you can't understand anything I'm saying, perhaps a word or phrase you haven't heard before, Google it. I love Google, it's brilliant. Knowledge and statistics at my fingertips. And you can believe with certainty anything Wikipedia says, because they have high quality standards and require sources to be cited, which you can check out.

is really a christian.(again,this is my opinion)I think because our country was founded by a majority of people with christian beliefs,it's become just a label for some people,they were raised being told they were christian or going to church on sunday,but they don't actually believe in God or live for God and have a relationship with Him,people view Him like santa or the easter bunny almost in some places,and the world has become so corrupt.America isn't exempt from that just because the founding fathers and first people were christians.I like how another poster put it a few pages back:

"We tend to generalize when referring to christians. I've read a lot about the church and all the christians. It's hard not to turn atheist if you look at other christians. Too many "pretenders" have used the church and Jesus' name to manipulate. I can give a single example: the catholic church murdered off a lot of people from other faiths during medieval times. (Including Spain's inquisition)"

Hmm, so you're saying some people who claim they're Christian aren't really? Then why would they attack the real Christians for their faith? It makes no sense to me.

Also, about 40% of America are young Earth creationists. You have to believe firmly in God if you're willing to dismiss so much evidence on such a grand scale. I doubt any of these will persecute you for your faith.

I think the only way to identify a true christian is by how they live and if they strive to live like Jesus did,and if they believe in the bible and the Trinity and that Jesus died for our sins,not based on what they say.

Hmm, believe in the bible, you say? Do you partake in animal sacrifices? God demands them (and you also have to give the leftovers to the priests).

How about 1 Samuel 15:3, where God orders Saul to kill every Amalekite "man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass."? Saul fails to kill everyone and everything, so God gives Saul's kingdom to David. Would you kill for God?

I would have "identified" myself as a christian and been part of that 80 percent when I was younger,but just because I said so didn't make it true,I didn't live for God and I hadn't accepted Christ into my heart. hence the bible verses about needing to have works and faith to truly be a christian,they go hand in hand.

Agreed. Just because someone makes an assertion doesn't make it true.

And you do need to have faith to be a Christian. Enough faith to deny the evidence and ignore the conspicuous lack of miracles nowadays from a God who was apparently performing them left, right and centre as little as 2,000 years ago.

I don't think that there has to be some outside force to have persecution occur,I think it can occur with people who claim to be "christian" but aren't,people from that 80%. In my opinion it's almost worse to have people who claim to be christians lead you astray than to have an obvious threat from an outside party because it's easier to be led astray by a source you think is trustworthy than one that obviously isn't,and I think it's worse to be mistreated by people from your own church family than by people who aren't.

Hold on. I think we're following different lines of thought. The way I understand it, persecution is a majority of people telling a minority of people with a common factor that they aren't equal and they're stupid etc. Racism is a form of persecution. This thread is about Christians being persecuted, for being Christian.

Maybe you think persecution involves them trying to persuade you to compromise your moral standards? Google "persecution definition".

I think it's starts when christians compromise our beliefs and go along with the world over the bible.

Uh, we go along with the real world because what we can see in the real world directly contradicts the bible. For example, the bible quotes insects as having four legs, even though anyone who can count can tell you they have six. Also, they class bats, which are mammals, as birds. These are just a few examples of where the bible is just plain wrong.

so slowly,people lose their morals and now we're in a mess and it makes it hard to live for God as a christian and follow the bible when some people who also claim to be christians don't follow it.

Wait, you think that people who follow the bible will lead brilliant lives, while disbelief in the bible leaves us in a mess? The bible advocates slavery. Do you have a slave? It also has loads of laws that are very unfair to women. For example, if a women is raped in a field and she cries out but isn't heard, the rapist has to pay her father 50 shekels of silver and marry her. Personally, I find that horrifying. It also tells you to kill your agnostic friend, cuz they don't believe in God. Having the bible as a moral code is a very bad idea.

It gives a bad example to people who aren't christians,they think we are all that way,that we are no different from anyone else.
But you are no different from anyone else. You're human, I'm human. Unless you think you hold a privileged position in God's eyes because you worship him. Please tell me that isn't the case.

I think that's why there is so much fighting amongst christians too,we are all very opinionated.:) But this is what happened to me,I woke up one day and realized I was essentially a fraud-I wasn't living for God at all,and I didn't have any relationship with Him,even though I've called myself a christian my whole life.
Just out of interest, how does one have a relationship with God? When you talk, does he talk back? That's one of the fundamental building blocks of a relationship, two-way conversation. Does he perform miracles for you? Ask him to turn orange juice into Coke.

I also think it's harder to stand up for what you believe in to a friend than it is to a stranger,because we care what our friends and families think of us and we care if we lose them,or if they don't like us or mistreat us,I think it hurts more to have friend mistreat you or shun or judge you than a stranger.Basically,I think it depends on what your definition of persecution is.i guess my definition of persecution (in america,and everywhere else) is being mistreated in any way(not just physically)being mocked,or shunned,or even just losing people we love, because we stand up for the bible and don't just go along with the crowd that is going against God's word,which doesn't always have to be an an outside party,it can be your own family.
Ah, ok. Now I see your definition of persecution. Ignore what I wrote above (apart from my personal definition, that's important), I somehow missed this bit.

Your perception of persecution seems to be warped. It sounds like people around you are bashing the bible like I'm doing. There's nothing wrong with this. We all have the right to speak our minds, fortunately. They're not aiming anything at you (hopefully), they're just saying they think you're wrong. You can say you think they're wrong. If you lose an argument, don't feel discouraged. Don't try to play the martyr card and claim persecution, because that's just plain dishonest.

You should welcome these attacks on the bible. If your faith is the obvious truth you say it is, it should hold up pretty well to these attacks and any observer will see your faith has solid grounds. But if you get upset when people get their argumentative streak going, it seems like you know all is not right with your faith.

I think you have a lot of great questions,and are very intelligent,you remind of a good friend of mine who is agnostic actually,we've had a lot of debates like this.
Thank you. But my intelligence is partly natural, partly hard-earned. I've learned by examining many sources that conflict with each other, and trying to punch holes in them like I'm doing to your post. The ones that stand up to any criticism I can throw at them are the ones I accept as valid. I've found that scientific papers are particularly good at making sense, and they back up what they're saying with experiments (e.g. the photoelectric effect).

but would you consider going to a church and asking a pastor your questions? I think you would find much clearer answers there than on the website,or from me,even though I'm trying.:)
It's interesting how you refer me to a figure of authority. You obviously have good reasons for your beliefs, if you share those with me, won't I believe in Christianity as well? But you imply the pastor knows more than you. What is there to know, apart from memorising the bible? I'd argue that my understanding of the bible is better than a pastor's, and it's funny to watch them performing mental acrobatics in response to my questions.

But yeah, I've already gone to a pastor and talked to him. He didn't have much in the way of clear answers, but he did have ad hominems (he attacked the fact I was 17), baseless assertions and just calling me a liar.

And how will I not find answers to my questions on this website? I'm asking them, aren't I? Surely people will respond with a carefully thought out, well-written answer?

I'm doing the best I can to answer you,but a pastor would probably have much clearer more thorough answers.
Trust me, you're doing a lot better than some of the creationists and pastors I've seen debate. No arguments from incredulity, no ad hominems and no misrepresentation of science. You might have set the standard. But no, your answers aren't very clear. Try using bullet points. It's what I do to get full UMS in all my exams.

• What you are going to state
  • What evidence supports your point
  • Possibly some evidence or opinions that disagree
  • If applicable, how the evidence led you to your belief

Upvote 0

Corke

May 18, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
My friend is very much a darwin advocate,and I've learned a lot about her opinions and beliefs,because I want to be knowledgeable about what she believes instead of just dismissing it because I don't agree,and she has done the same for me with christianity.
Possibly the most intelligent thing I've heard you say. Well, the term is neo-Darwinism, because they found work on genes and alleles after Darwin published his theory that supports it. Ronald Fisher was very good at updating Darwinism, and has my respect. But you should know what the other side is saying.

I think that's why you should talk to a pastor and learn about christianity before you decide that you don't agree,if you haven't already.(I don't know if you have,you can disregard what I've said if you have been to church)
I've been going to church for pretty much the first sixteen years of my life. I've read through the bible, frequently listen to creationists debating and I do stuff like post here. I probably understand this religion better than you do.

but wouldn't you agree that unless someone actually understands something completely,they can't have a valid opinion about it?
No, I wouldn't. Not completely. You have to understand the key points, but a knowledge of something completely is virtually impossible.

you say it doesn't make sense to you, so I would say,go learn about it,and then if you still don't agree,no one can tell you it's because you don't understand.
I have learned about it. Still makes no sense. But not because I don't understand it.

However, why take my word for it? You are free to devise a few questions and I will answer them, to show I do understand what I am on about. No loading of questions, please.

I know you can just point to science(and that's huge debate I don't want to get into,please,it'll go on forever.:)
I can, but I prefer to debate using logic. You don't have to be a specialist in logic to understand a point made with it. No worries.

but I still think in order to really be able to dismiss something as untrue,you should understand what it is you are dismissing and not just all the outside reasons why you believe it's impossible.people all thought the world was flat,because of the "proof" and what they saw with their eyes,but they were wrong.
What "proof"? People thought that because they didn't bother to do any experiments or investigate, they just assumed it was flat. That's bad science. Should make as little assumptions as possible. However, they quickly realised it was round when they saw ships disappearing over the curve of the Earth. The only logical explanation was that the Earth was a (rough) sphere.

I think we will be surprised who is in heaven and who isn't,because we don't truly know someone else's heart,only God does. It seems like you want me to state a specific outside party like another religious group or something as the cause of persecution in america,
Yeah, cuz that's the definition of persecution. You can't be persecuted if there's no outside group doing the persecution.

and because we do have freedom of speech and people identifying with christianity,you are saying it doesn't exist like in other countries and my only point was that,while I agree we are lucky and persecution is not a severe in some ways,I do respectfully disagree with this,I think persecution against christians occurs everywhere,but I respect that you feel otherwise.

So it occurs everywhere? Even in the homes of fundamentalist Christian families? I find that hard to swallow. Does it occur where there are no Christians to "persecute"?

you asked about clarification about Matthew 22,and all I can say is,we don't interpret it at all the same way,and that this would be a good question to ask a pastor.
True, except I believe a pastor would interpret it in a way that would support his view that Christianity is God's gift to mankind (see what I did there?). I'd prefer to ask a bible scholar, you'd get more reliable answers.

I believe when it says "all men" it is referring to the whole of the human race,(mankind) not just the males of the species. also,it helps to always read the whole bible or at least the whole book of the bible,that might make it more clear because I believe it is talking about anyone who doesn't believe in the bible and isn't a christian,of course other true christians wouldn't hate you for believing in God and following the bible,they do too.
Hang on, how does it help to read the entire bible to understand one passage? I'd understand context, but that's just ridiculous. Not that I haven't done that, of course.

Referring to "standing firm until the end."
this goes into the debate about whether or not someone can lose salvation,and this is a really debatable topic even among christians. my personal belief is that once you are a christian you can't lose your salvation through anything,and if you do fall away somehow God calls us back to him.
So I can remain an atheist my entire life and still go to heaven? Yay, no more church! No more having to give offerings so some pastor can buy a new pair of expensive shoes! It's a win-win for me.

I think you can choose to not believe anymore because we have free will,but I'm not entirely certain how I feel about this,to be honest.if someone did turn away from God,I don't think that person was a true christian to begin with,just because you believe,I don't think it makes you a christian.
Oh, right. Er, premature celebration. So, if believing doesn't make you a Christian, what does?

Hypothetical scenario: We have a woman, let's call her Sue. Sue is a devout Christian, goes to church every week, reads her bible, prays before every meal etc. She believes in God, basically. Now if Sue dies in a car crash, she goes to heaven. But what if she survived the crash? Then someone pointed out all the things that were wrong with the bible and she started doubting rather than believing wholeheartedly. If she renounced her faith, does that mean that she wouldn't go to heaven when her car crashed?

but this talks more about what the verses I posted before were about faith plus works. I think once you truly accept christ into your heart He changes you,
How so? How have you been changed?

and once you give your life to God,you are saved forever,that you would never be able to lose your salvation because we are saved by mercy and Jesus' sacrifice,it is enough to cover everything.
Then surely we can sin as much as we want and it doesn't matter. What does God care? His sacrifice covers everything. Why bother with the ten commandments? God will still forgive you if you break them, right?

I believe the only thing separating people from God is unbelief,and when we choose to go our own way.i believe no matter what,if someone seeks God,He will answer and if they turn over their life to Him instead of going their own way,they will be saved.
Right, so there is this barrier to an all-powerful God. Why does it matter what we believe? What about the Native Americans, the Inuits, the Incas, the Aborigines? The Egyptians, the ancient Greeks and Romans, the Norse, the ancient Indians, Chinese and Japanese? The Mongolians? Did God introduce himself to them? Did they believe in him? Were they saved?

You said "Jesus died for your lot." and I wanted to say Jesus died for everyone,not just the people who choose Him,He wants everyone to be saved and to choose Him,but He gave us freewill. again,I'm sorry if this doesn't answer your questions completely,
i'm trying my best to.I hope that someone else can answer you better,I'm sorry if this was confusing,but I hope it helps. take care.:)

If he wants everyone to be saved, why doesn't he provide us with evidence of his existence? A tour of heaven would be nice, complete with souvenirs, so we can understand what we're choosing between. Or perhaps he can insert a rabbit fossil into the pre-Cambrian strata and I may be more inclined to believe in creation. What I want him to do most is restore an amputees' lost limb. Then I'll believe in him and be saved. Is that so hard for an all-powerful God?

Don't worry, you write a lot but I have time to break your paragraphs down. Have a nice day, hope I didn't ruin it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Okay, I've looked. I see no persecution, only silly Christian fundamentalists starting wars (IRA, LRA, crusades etc.) and getting in the way of stem cell research, which has the potential to cure Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

So, can you please provide quotes and examples of persecution? It would be really helpful if I could understand what exactly you're on about.

I totally agree (well, not with the stem cell research- in most cases.), but Christians in America seriously are not persecuted whatsoever. The only Christians who feel like they're persecuted here are either stirring up trouble in the first place, or just easily offended. I used to think that I was soooo persecuted because people said "X-mas" instead of "Christmas". But then I realized that Christmas is pagan anyway, so I don't mind that people call it X-mas anyway. There is no "reason" to that season other than consumerism.

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
That makes sense. I was wondering who persecutes Christians in America, but looks like they're just using the word wrong.

Yeah, basically. Based on my time (14 or so years.) as a Christian, I can say that basically any time someone told me that 'Jesus' (even though that isn't even his real name either...) wasn't real, I would go screaming for the hills claiming that they were 'persecuting' me. When I look back on those years now, I feel like I was just so blind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Corke

May 18, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
basically any time someone told me that 'Jesus' (even though that isn't even his real name either...) wasn't real, I would go screaming for the hills claiming that they were 'persecuting' me.

Hah, I like that sentence. Sums up beautifully what I can see happening. It seems the most logical explanation, given that around 76% of America is Christian, so persecuting Christians there is physically impossible, given the definition of the word.

Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

With dead memories in my heart
Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hah, I like that sentence. Sums up beautifully what I can see happening. It seems the most logical explanation, given that around 76% of America is Christian, so persecuting Christians there is physically impossible, given the definition of the word.

Really half of that percent is untrue. Meaning true Christians out there that are "actual" Christians would persecute ppl say online, which does happen alot (especially you tube). But america truly is blessed to not be persecute like the ppl in asia or middleeast. However the government is already arresting ppl like in California for having bible studies in your own home! Plus the government is basically changing the what America was founded upon

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, I'll give that to you, the government is all messed up right now. Regardless your political party (I'm neutral, I just go for the candidate that is most in line with my views... which no candidate like that exists at the moment.) you can't deny that the government and politics in general are absolutely corrupted. I hate what they're doing to America... I just want to buy a plot of land, build my house, and live. But there are so many regulations, so many building codes and the like that make it difficult. It you produce raw milk and sell it to neighbors, you can easily get destroyed by the FDA and similar programs for 'health code violations' even though raw cow's milk is FAR healthier than anything bought in the stores. I drink it every day. I haven't really heard of people being arrested for having Bible studies, though... Could you send me a source about that? I'm just slightly skeptical about it.

Upvote 0

PaxThroughX

With dead memories in my heart
Jan 27, 2012
America
✟16,168.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, I'll give that to you, the government is all messed up right now. Regardless your political party (I'm neutral, I just go for the candidate that is most in line with my views... which no candidate like that exists at the moment.) you can't deny that the government and politics in general are absolutely corrupted. I hate what they're doing to America... I just want to buy a plot of land, build my house, and live. But there are so many regulations, so many building codes and the like that make it difficult. It you produce raw milk and sell it to neighbors, you can easily get destroyed by the FDA and similar programs for 'health code violations' even though raw cow's milk is FAR healthier than anything bought in the stores. I drink it every day. I haven't really heard of people being arrested for having Bible studies, though... Could you send me a source about that? I'm just slightly skeptical about it.

I agree totally and my dad is already fed up with how much he cant do with his organic farm. Um heres somes links to what you asked for and some other news that may interest you. Define “Freedom” – California City Bans Bible Study and Assembly…. | The Last Refuge

Answering Muslims: Arrested for Being Christian Preachers at Dearborn Arab Festival 2010

there is some other news of persecution but I forget where it was.

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I agree totally and my dad is already fed up with how much he cant do with his organic farm. Um heres somes links to what you asked for and some other news that may interest you. Define “Freedom” – California City Bans Bible Study and Assembly…. | The Last Refuge

Answering Muslims: Arrested for Being Christian Preachers at Dearborn Arab Festival 2010

there is some other news of persecution but I forget where it was.

Awesome, thanks, I'll give those a read.

Yeah, we have a small organic farm too. We don't sell any of our food, we just eat it ourselves, so we don't have any restrictions, but I can see how it'd be really frustrating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Corke

May 18, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Your source isn't very good, is it? The Last Refuge | Rag Tag Bunch of Conservative Misfits – Contact Info: TheLastRefuge@reagan.com is obviously going to paint a picture where those plucky Christians are right and they're fighting against the law, which is evil and wrong. I did my own research and that couple was breaking a law. They had to be registered as a church, just like any other business, and they violated that law. Nowhere did it say that they were being persecuted just because they were Christian. This is ridiculous, how people cry 'persecution' over nothing

There's a reason the tagline of The Last Refuge | Rag Tag Bunch of Conservative Misfits – Contact Info: TheLastRefuge@reagan.com is "The Last Refuge". Everyone else can use logic adequately and can see that some things, like facts, just shouldn't be denied.

Upvote 0

Corke

May 18, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It (sic) you produce raw milk and sell it to neighbors, you can easily get destroyed by the FDA and similar programs for 'health code violations' even though raw cow's milk is FAR healthier than anything bought in the stores.

Uh, no it isn't. Raw milk can contain a lot of pathogens. Milk in the store is pasteurised, which essentially means they heated it to kill all the bacteria, so it doesn't make you sick. There are quite a few diseases you can catch from raw milk:

Bacillus cereus: These bacteria produce a toxin that can cause diarrhea and another that causes vomiting. Bacillus cereus spores are heat-resistant and may survive pasteurization. There have even been very rare cases linked to dried milk and dried infant formula.
Brucella: Brucella is a bacterial microbe that is found in unpasteurized dairy products. Brucella infection, or Brucellosis, has also been called “Undulant Fever” because of the regular recurrence of fever associated with the disease.
Campylobacter jejuni: Campylobacter jejuni is the most common bacteria to cause diarrheal disease in the U.S. and is found in raw milk and poultry. It has an increased chance of causing disease when consumed in milk, because the basic pH of milk neutralizes the acidity of the stomach.
Coxiella burnetii: Coxiella infects a variety of animals, including livestock and pets. The microbe can be found in cow’s milk and is resistant to heat and drying. Infection by Coxiella results in Q fever, a high fever that may last up to 2 weeks.
E. coli O157:H7: This particular strain of E. coli has been associated with a number of food-borne outbreaks and is the cause of bloody diarrhea. Frequently associated with dairy cattle, microbial contamination of raw milk and soft cheeses can result in disease.
Listeria monocytogenes: Listeria is a common bacterial pathogen that is found in soft cheeses and unpasteurized milk. It can even survive below freezing temperatures and can therefore withstand refrigeration. It is particularly dangerous to individuals who have weakened immune systems, including pregnant women, AIDS patients, and the very young and very old.
Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis: This strain of mycobacteria can withstand pasteurization and has been associated with the development of Crohn’s disease, also known as inflammatory bowel syndrome. However, whether or not these bacteria can actually infect humans remains controversial.
Mycobacterium tuberculosis: The cause of “consumption,” a horrific wasting disease that first affects the lungs, Mycobacterium bovis is associated with consumption of raw milk and was one of the most common contaminants prior to the practice of pasteurization. M. bovis causes tuberculosis in cows and can be passed to humans via unpasteurized cow's milk, causing a disease that is very similar to M. tuberculosis.
Salmonella: Salmonella contamination of raw milk and milk products has been the source of several outbreaks in recent years. Symptoms include diarrhea and high fever.
Staphylococcus aureus: Staph aureus produces a toxin that causes explosive vomiting. The disease may be considered a consequence of actual food poisoning from simply consuming the toxin, rather than from an actual infection.
Yersinia enterocolitica: Associated with raw milk and ice cream, among other foods, contamination is believed to be a consequence of a breakdown in sanitization and sterilization techniques at dairy processing facilities.

Milk and Infections -- A Guide to Milk-borne Infectious Diseases is where I found this.

So I'm not at all surprised they don't let you sell raw milk. It's a pretty dangerous thing to do. Wouldn't want to kill off a few of your customers, would you? Particularly young children, whose immune systems are vulnerable to serious diseases like tuberculosis.

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Uh, no it isn't. Raw milk can contain a lot of pathogens. Milk in the store is pasteurised, which essentially means they heated it to kill all the bacteria, so it doesn't make you sick. There are quite a few diseases you can catch from raw milk:

Milk and Infections -- A Guide to Milk-borne Infectious Diseases is where I found this.

So I'm not at all surprised they don't let you sell raw milk. It's a pretty dangerous thing to do. Wouldn't want to kill off a few of your customers, would you? Particularly young children, whose immune systems are vulnerable to serious diseases like tuberculosis.

Yes, I do realize that such things are very possible. I'm not saying to just go to some random persons' house and buy their milk. The people that have been arrested, at least that I bother kind of following, pasteurized their milk and took all the proper safety procedures with it. I would never just go drink someone's raw milk they were selling unless I knew it had undergone the proper treatments to ensure safety. However, I also don't think it's quite the government's business to crack down on anyone that sells their own milk- treated or not. I mean, people back in the day, even my parents' generation (as they've talked about it before.) would just go and buy fresh milk, and my grandparents all grew up on farms, drinking untreated milk, yet they've turned out healthy and are still alive ( a few are near 100 years old at the moment.). So, I feel like there are benefits to raw milk, aside from health risks. Besides, the government was pretty much created to regulate law, economics (to some extent) and foreign affairs. It wasn't created to regulate food laws. I'm pretty anti-big government though. So, it's no surprise I believe this. I honestly have no idea how I got on this topic on this thread. Lol. Sorry that I derailed it... Lol.

Upvote 0

Corke

May 18, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I do realize that such things are very possible. I'm not saying to just go to some random persons' house and buy their milk.
This is my point exactly. You shouldn't go to an unauthorised dealer to buy food products. So why on Earth do you want the right to sell milk without a permit?

But then, a few posts up the page, you said this:

I hate what they're doing to America... I just want to buy a plot of land, build my house, and live. But there are so many regulations, so many building codes and the like that make it difficult. It you produce raw milk and sell it to neighbors, you can easily get destroyed by the FDA and similar programs for 'health code violations' even though raw cow's milk is FAR healthier than anything bought in the stores. I drink it every day.

So how is selling milk to neighbours any different to selling it to randomers? It certainly doesn't make the milk safer. In fact, I'd argue that it's worse, because your neighbours would probably trust you and not be as skeptical as they should when examining the milk.

Also, I will keep disputing the claim that raw milk is healthier, because there's absolutely zero evidence (anecdotes don't count as evidence) to support it.
Even if it is healthier, the risks far outweigh the benefits.

But the Centers for Disease Control and the FDA beg to differ, stating that pasteurized milk has all the same nutrients as raw milk and that raw milk comes with an added formidable risk of pathogen outbreaks. According to the CDC, these outbreaks accounted for more than 1,000 illnesses, more than 100 hospitalizations and two deaths between 1998 and 2005.

Is Raw Milk More Nutritious than Pasteurized Milk? | Eating Well

Red wine is supposed to also have healthy benefits, like regulate the flow of blood in the veins But I don't touch it. Why? My diet is healthy and balanced enough.

The people that have been arrested, at least that I bother kind of following, pasteurized their milk and took all the proper safety procedures with it.
Yeah, but that's not the point. The point is that they are in violation of the law. The law exists because the state can't go to everyone's house and check whether they meet the necessary safety criteria if they happen to be selling milk. You'd prefer them to flout the law and get off scot-free?

I would never just go drink someone's raw milk they were selling unless I knew it had undergone the proper treatments to ensure safety. However, I also don't think it's quite the government's business to crack down on anyone that sells their own milk- treated or not.
The government has a duty - to protect the people it governs. If banning milk is the way to stop certain pathogens, then that's what it should do. Just because you object strongly doesn't make it wrong. I applaud this move by the government to try to prevent unnecessary disease and death.

I mean, people back in the day, even my parents' generation (as they've talked about it before.) would just go and buy fresh milk, and my grandparents all grew up on farms, drinking untreated milk, yet they've turned out healthy and are still alive ( a few are near 100 years old at the moment.).
That's a sample size of at most 4. Too small to claim that disease won't affect you. Besides, if your grandparents had died when they were young, you wouldn't be here. They may have had a sibling that died. Probably not. Ask them.

You seem to think I'm saying raw milk is a lot more dangerous than it is. Let's say that the number of people who die by drinking raw milk every year is 1 in 5,000. That's an arbitrary figure by the way, it's not the actual death rate. Shouldn't we try to increase the life expectancy of everyone and prevent unnecessary deaths? That figure could be raised to 1 in 50,000 by controlling who sells milk. Why is this a bad thing? It's not like you can't still get milk. If you want raw milk that badly, buy a cow.

So, I feel like there are benefits to raw milk,
Like what? This is a genuine question, I can't think of any and my research hasn't turned anything up except random claims.

aside from health risks. Besides, the government was pretty much created to regulate law, economics (to some extent) and foreign affairs. It wasn't created to regulate food laws.
Rather narrow view of your own government. As I said, it exists to protect you. Hence the laws against murdering and raping people. Hence the laws against public masturbation. If the law says you can't do something, there's probably a good reason.

I'm pretty anti-big government though. So, it's no surprise I believe this. I honestly have no idea how I got on this topic on this thread. Lol. Sorry that I derailed it... Lol.
You are pretty anti-government, and I don't see why. Are your parents of the same opinion? Take a look at the laws and see if you can find some unreasonable ones. You'll probably be able to, but the main point is that you should understand its motives.

And this thread is dead as far as I'm concerned. Christians aren't persecuted in America, a country where over 75% of them are Christian. End of story, anyone who says different is a fundamentalist, caught in a war between sects or just plain whiny.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0

SavedByGraceAndLove65

May 16, 2012
✟15,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
when I was younger I was in a situation that was abusive. I had a guardian who was an atheist and one of his favorite things to do was to tell everyone who would listen that there was no God,and he would try and get me to say the same thing,and he would hit me when I disagreed(he was often drunk) that might be just abuse I guess,but it still happened in america,and granted,he was really screwed up and I've forgiven him,but I know he would have left me alone or at least treated me better if I had agreed with him. we might differ in opinion that that was persecution though,even though I was 11. He has since changed quite a bit-he is recovering and I hope that my testimony to him,showing him kindness and love and forgiveness when he didn't deserve it by forgiving him, will be enough to show Him God's love through my actions.(I couldn't have forgiven Him without God's help.)I think that there is a wisdom in the bible that can't be found anywhere else,and is definitely different than our first responses as humans.if someone hits you,isn't most people's first response to hit back? I know mine is.I have never in my life seen anything in this world that could equal Jesus' love,and it just seems so separate to me,unlike anything man could've ever come up with,because we just don't think that way.I believe God's word,the bible,is a wisdom unequaled by anything we've ever seen on earth.

I don't think christians are "better" than anyone else. I think as a christian we should love everyone,and be kind to everyone,even our enemies,and I've seen such a change in people who accept Christ into their lives,I think that is proof in itself. God makes us better people.I'm not talking about being "successful" in life in the sense that you have a great car and a lot of money,(those things don't go with you when you die)I'm talking about being successful for God,and living like Jesus would have,helping people in need and being a light for people in a sometimes really dark world,and making a difference.

I think there is evidence of God everywhere you look. I don't understand how someone could look at this whole world-the whole universe,with the stars and everything in it down to the smallest cell,and not realize there is something bigger than us out there. it's so intricate,and I don't think it could have come about by "the big bang" and random chance. I just can't understand that,and I think all humans have an awareness of something else,of God,written on our hearts. they're not many people who,on their death bed,wouldn't be praying for help from someone or something at least.there is a saying that goes-"you never find an atheist in a foxhole" and I think it's the truth,when faced with death most people believe in something even if they have spent their whole lives saying that God isn't real. because you can't really know,can you?that he isn't real? you could never prove it. I think faith comes first a lot of times. I've had things happen in my life that I know were because of God,hands down,no questions about it. they were miracles,and I've prayed and been answered in miraculous ways,and many many christians have,I know several people with amazing testimonies. if you have the faith to pray,even just a mustard seed's worth,I believe God will answer you always,and that's really undeniable then,when He does.

do you mind if I ask you,if you are so strongly against God and the bible-why are you on a website devoted to christianity? just curious.people have spent their whole lives trying to disprove the bible,and prove that it isn't true,and aside from disagreeing with it's message,(I don't like that,it's not true!)it can't be done.it's a scary thing to realize God is real,and that we are in need of mercy and love and that we do need to change,so people's first reaction is to deny it.

I agree that this thread is dead because we aren't getting anywhere with the discussion,(how is tearing down someone's position on government productive at all?) I don't see what good comes of it,seems like an argument for the sake of arguing. it was nice talking to you though,and I am glad you are here.I hope you all have a good day too.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0