Sep 12, 2011
✟15,125.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
It seems that the majority of people I know say it's a "struggle" being a Christian and believing in God. I feel like it is for me, since I have considered leaving Christianity many times. Yet all the Christians I know say they've never doubted God's existence. The only person I know that has is an atheist now.

The point I'm getting at is that Christians don't really seem as persecuted as they are portrayed. Sure, they're persecuted online, but that's about it. My atheist friend faces discrimination in real life all the time.

I'm not trying to judge anyone, but my Christian friends don't really think/talk about God like the "doubters" do, they seem to go with the flow. And if I question anything about God I'm ridiculed and called an apostate.
Anyone else relate?

JDoc

Aug 6, 2011
Brazil
✟15,182.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sincerely,I don't think christians are persecuted in my country ,in fact,everywhere I go I only see christians here.
Just to add ,I agree with you that the christians are extremely persecuted online,but when I turn off the computer,the overwhelming majority are christians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GarrickBrewer

Prayer Warrior
Sep 12, 2010
Winchendon Massachusetts
✟15,465.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
a group of people from my church went to england on a missionary trip a few years ago, and when they were at the local church, a group of people came out of cars with guns intending to shoot up the church. In the islamic countries ( most of the middle east and africa) our missionaries have to spread the word of christ in secret because christians are killed over there. In cuba, we had send kindles loaded up with books to teach pastors down there because christianity is a death sentence there. In america we are mostly safe, the rest of the world is a different story

Upvote 0

christian78

Veteran
Jan 6, 2006
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟16,952.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
Christianity is a death sentence in Cuba? Wow. I'm usually the first to jump to Cuba's defense and criticize "American heavy-handedness" in the form of the embargo. Communism taken to the full scale is truly something...

I can resonate with you on this. The internet, for anyone insecure in their faith, is a gift and a curse. The same people that claim to be tired of being preyed upon by missionaries are the same ones that'll attack you relentlessly about your faith. Quite honestly, when I was younger, it was easy to ignore. Now...I'm not sure if it's because I've seen the scope of things which are considered "unchristian" and I'm looking for something to justify my worldly indulgences but they've become nagging things that are hard to ignore that I tend to bring up when I'm "angry with God".

As for majority/minority...I'm not sure what kind of state we're in. Most churches (though I only know the SDA figures off hand) are still growing. Liberalism is on the rise and we're entering an age where that won't slow down a bit. Tolerance seems to rise daily for everyone but us when it comes to them.

Upvote 0

Johnnybabe

Lord of the Manor
Nov 21, 2010
Forever away. Come find me one day, if you will
✟24,398.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
In my area, most people are atheists, so if you were to walk down the street and introduce yourself as a Christian I can see one of three things happening.

1) You'll be looked at as weird, probably later to be brought up (even if only passingly) to his/her friends and/or family. The more religious you come off as increases your chance of being mentioned.
2) You'll be openly mocked right there on the spot.
3) It'll turn out they're Christian too.

Upvote 0

schpoogie

Sep 30, 2011
Australia
✟7,700.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Christian's are persecuted terribly in countries that don't have a christian majority. Some countries simply don't allow it, and actually kill christians. In china, the middle east and other places like cambodia, vietnam; christian gatherings are raided and property destroyed, pilgrims arrested.

The persecution we face here in australia is nothing like it in other countries, something to be grateful of

Upvote 0

hoorayitsme

Aug 8, 2011
✟7,679.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it depends on where you live and who you live with on if you face persecution. I live in America but no one in my family goes to church much, and my sister is an athiest so i feel i get persecuted much for what i believe. Unlike my friend who has most christian friends and her whole family is christian so she doesnt get persucuted much. Also, your friends should be helping you build your faith in Jesus, not ridiculing you for having questions. Persecution isn't a bad thing either, in Matthew 5:11-12 it says God blesses you when you are persecuted because you are God's followers! So rejoice and be glad because your reward is heaven!

Upvote 0

WildeBear

Oct 17, 2011
✟15,135.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
We tend to generalize when referring to christians. I've read a lot about the church and all the christians. It's hard not to turn atheist if you look at other christians. Too many "pretenders" have used the church and Jesus' name to manipulate. I can give a single example: the catholic church murdered off a lot of people from other faiths during medieval times. (Including Spain's inquisition)

Here in South Africa people are persecuted not by beliefs but skin color. Most are christians, but they're not born-again. Christianity to most people is only a status. That's the sad fact of life. You just have to accept that sometimes a christian = atheist. Many people believe that if they read the bible once a month and go to church once a year, they'll get through to heaven. It's just a safety precaution.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2011
New Brunswick
✟16,263.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
Just because Christians are not physically persecuted does not mean that they are not persecuted at all.
In my country (Canada) Christians are persecuted, just not in the way you would expect. We don't get thrown into jail, or killed, or forced to live in caves or whatever, but that isn't all that persecution is.

You will never know what a person endures until Judgement day, when all will be revealed.
But persecution is just another mountain to climb over.
No matter where in the world you are, you will be persecuted and suffer if you are of Christ

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AfanofJesus

Jan 22, 2012
✟15,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hmm, this is an interesting question. As many people already have pointed out it really depends on how you define persecution. According to Wikipedia "Persecution is the systematic mistreatment of an individual or group by another group". In my perspective what is happening in secularized countries (Europe is what I know the best) could definitely be seen as a kind of mistreatment. Just to clear out one thing, the average persecution in the world today is of course nothing compared to antisemitsm etc. but still a problem.

In many countries in Europe - Sweden is a great example of it - religion is more or less only about culture an tradition. Over the last decades religious beliefs have massively outnumbered by a scientifical wave. Christians have been way to comfortable in a world were Christianity has been the standard for too long. Science has become an evidence in itself. If you are an atheist whatever a theist say you can prove it wrong referring to science in itself without even having a reasonable argument or explanation. The view of science in general being the sword slaying religion is widely accepted even in bigger newspapers and political gatherings. This makes any theist look like a fool whatever they say. Your are identified the same second you say a word about God, church or religion. Unfortunately you will after being identified as a theist you will also be treated equally to a stupid child in any argument. In this perspective I would definitely say that Christians are persecuted, but of course this is biased, and might not be the situation in every single place. I have been able to stick with the right people, atheist or theist, they are at least rational people not condemning me too much. Although you meet a lot more people that your closest friends, classmates and church friends.

Living now in US I agree with those saying that there are not much of a persecution here (at least from what I can perceive here in NJ). Although I'm afraid things are changing here to, and I'm pretty sure that we all have to be very cautious in this world. There are a lot of great thinkers and philosophers among humanists, atheist, naturalists etc. that serves no direct threat to the world order or Christian values. Although there are unfortunately a lot of people in the world listening too much to "experts" without thinking enough themselves a looking from more than one perspective. There are plenty of wise people pointing out in these days of abundant flow of information that there is a different between quantity and quality, knowledge and wisdom. All these non thinking people following seemingly nice authoritan thinkers and philosophers are a great threat no matter religious or atheists. Although I would say it looks that we Christians are those getting hit worst by the universal idea of science being the answer to everything no matter what science is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 11, 2012
scottsdale, az.
✟7,665.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
i would suggest watching a movie called "love costs everything" (Love Costs Every Thing). this movie blew me away. the hardship faced by christians around the world who exemplify the verse "to live is christ and to die is gain" who are willing to sacrifice their lives for the benefit of the kingdom. christians around the world still are martyred for their faith.

Upvote 0

Corke

May 18, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In many countries in Europe - Sweden is a great example of it - religion is more or less only about culture an tradition. Over the last decades religious beliefs have massively outnumbered by a scientifical wave. Christians have been way to comfortable in a world were Christianity has been the standard for too long. Science has become an evidence in itself. If you are an atheist whatever a theist say you can prove it wrong referring to science in itself without even having a reasonable argument or explanation. The view of science in general being the sword slaying religion is widely accepted even in bigger newspapers and political gatherings. This makes any theist look like a fool whatever they say. Your are identified the same second you say a word about God, church or religion. Unfortunately you will after being identified as a theist you will also be treated equally to a stupid child in any argument. In this perspective I would definitely say that Christians are persecuted, but of course this is biased, and might not be the situation in every single place. I have been able to stick with the right people, atheist or theist, they are at least rational people not condemning me too much. Although you meet a lot more people that your closest friends, classmates and church friends.

I disagree with this. Atheists and scientists don't persecute people just because they're religious. If they did, there'd be a massive outcry over it and I can't see that happening. Rather, the stance commonly held is that you can believe what you want. Just don't force it on me.

If anyone is treating religious people like stupid children, there's probably a reason. Something they said or did, most likely. The only time I've seen religious people being treated as such is when they try to deny evolution, one of the most well-supported scientific theories we have. How could the scientists not? It's like saying gravity doesn't exist and Yahweh pushes on us all the time to stop us floating into space.

And, of course, some religious people get in the way of stem cell research. Research that could potentially find the cure to Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and many incurable diseases that afflict us today. And then they try to play the martyr card when it is pointed out to them just how silly what they're saying is.

You're not being persecuted. You just think you are because people disagree with you. Not everyone shares your views. Appreciate that fact and don't try to force those views on others. That's my advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Honestly, from my observance, Christians aren't persecuted AT ALL. At least, not here in North America. I used to whine and complain "oooh, I'm so persecuted because that Harry Potter movie has witchcraft in it. Oooh I'm so persecuted because my friend said a bad word. Woe is me."
Yet, now I've grown up and I've grown out of my Christian upbringing to a more solid belief system. I don't work on the Sabbath, period. I mean, I will feed my livestock and such on the Sabbath, and I'll clean up my room if it needs tidying, but I don't go out and shop, nor do I attempt to make money from Friday evening to Saturday evening. I have not been hired for many a job due to this. I was almost hired as a veterinary technician, which would've been phenomenal at my age, did I not keep the Sabbath. All of my friends have parties and what not on Saturdays, so I can't go. I don't believe in the system of the US, as I feel it does not fall in line with my beliefs. So, I can't necessarily go to college due to the exorbitant cost of it and the immorality that occurs under its roof. My grandparents have shunned me and are disappointed in me for not celebrating Christmas, and I've lost many friends because I don't go to youth group.
And I don't even think I'm persecuted whatsoever. I have it so easy here. But man, with the way I believe, things are actually a lot more difficult because I'm outside of the system. Christians have no idea how easy their lives are. Man, they aren't persecuted at all (unless they're in Africa, China, or various other countries of the like.).

Upvote 0

SavedByGraceAndLove65

May 16, 2012
✟15,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think we definitely are persecuted,and it's a good sign that we are following Jesus and living the way we should be. I think being from america myself,that we are really lucky here to have freedom of speech and the right to believe what we want to. but christianity and God's standards don't match up with this world's and I believe if we are living for Christ,we will definitely meet opposition. we might not be stoned here in america for what we believe,but if we go against the way of this world we definitely ruffle some feathers. I've been trying to turn my life around and was amazed by the reactions from my so called "friends" about the changes. even in my family,I told my aunt that I was changing and going to practice abstinence and she asked me what was wrong me. (I was like,thanks for the support auntie. and she is supposably catholic.) but because I'm choosing not to sleep around or drink,and that goes against the social norm where I'm from,it can have a pretty big impact,and people are mad about it,as if they have the right to be mad? idk. I think we will take a lot for Jesus and what we believe.

Matthew 10:22 All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.

Isaiah 66:5 Hear the word of the LORD, you who tremble at his word: "Your brothers who hate you, and exclude you because of my name, have said, 'Let the LORD be glorified, that we may see your joy!' Yet they will be put to shame.

John 16:33 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

John 15:18 "If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.

Upvote 0

Corke

May 18, 2012
✟7,648.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There's something I don't get, SavedByGraceAndLove65. How are you persecuted in America? Most of that country is Christian in some form or another, who's persecuting you for your beliefs?

It sounds like people are just asking why you choose not to drink, you practice abstinence etc. That's not persecution. You not being able to defend your beliefs is not persecution.

Also, your bible quote, "Matthew 10:22 All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." I thought Jesus died for everyone's sins and all you had to do was believe in him. Are you saying that everyone else won't be saved and they're condemned to hell or purgatory or wherever? They think they're going to heaven.

Upvote 0

SavedByGraceAndLove65

May 16, 2012
✟15,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I believe it must be extremely painful and difficult in other countries-I feel really lucky to be in america because we do have freedom of religion,I'm so grateful for that! I can understand what you are saying,or,to some extent I think,(I know I can't possibly understand completely,because I haven't experienced living somewhere else myself)I do believe that it would be much harder in other countries and I'm in awe of how strong christians in other more persecuted countries have been,by the strength of God. I like to believe that if someone was hurting me physically or threatening my life I would stand up for what I believe in to the grave,but I have never been in that situation so I know I don't understand completely.

i know its trivial compared to physical abuse and persecution for sure,but I do believe that having people hate you and shun you because you live like Jesus is still a form of persecution. It's okay if we disagree.:) I have just found that in coming back to God,I feel like I've lost all of my "friends" and even some family because I do stand up for what I believe and because i do defend what I believe in,and they don't like these sudden changes. I think it hurts a lot more to have your family and friends angry at you,and betray you,than to have someone you don't love shun you. do you know what I mean? I feel like I'm losing my sister because we just don't see eye to eye anymore and it hurts so much. for me it's worse to have the people I love disapprove than a stranger,I feel like I'm splitting myself in half almost,choosing between the people I love or God. it's okay if we disagree that this is a form of persecution,I just know it's been so hard for me to deal with,trying to stand up for Jesus by the way that I live to witness to the people I love the most and losing them because of it.

I'm confused about what you are asking about the bible verse? I just meant that,if you follow the bible and the laws of the bible,people are going to hate you for it. this world doesn't agree with the bible in many ways and if we stand up for what we believe,
people who aren't christians will be angry and might hate us because of it,or at the very least,shun us for it or have ruffled feathers. I think it's still a form of persecution to be bullied in high school because you (for example)openly pray at lunch,and openly are a christian. I know it's not the same as being murdered,I would never ever say that ever-but I still think it is a very painful experience for kids to have to go through,and I think that happens everywhere,no matter where you live.I think christian kids everywhere are persecuted in school if they live a christian lifestyle,or at he very least,excluded.I think christian adults-everyone who is a christian is persecuted in some way or another for standing up for God.am I making sense? I think a good example is waiting to have sex until marriage. tell a friend who isn't a christian that your waiting and see how they react. :( in my experience,(I know I'm young)but very few guys will wait if they aren't also a christian,I lost my last boyfriend because of it. I think we make sacrifices to be a christian-some are smaller,like losing a boyfriend or a friend,or even a sister,and some are so extreme that we lose our lives.there are many other examples in the bible that if we follow God's law,people mistreat us or judge us for it,you know?

Jesus did die for everyone's sins and if you believe you are saved! :) but if someone truly is saved,then they strive to follow God's laws too. that doesn't mean we aren't sinners,everybody is and we all mess up,(including me for SURE,lol) and that is why we need God's grace and forgiveness and wonderful mercy so we can confess our sins and be made clean again and move forward. but I personally believe that someone who claims to be a christian can't keep continually sinning on purpose and not repent and be a real christian. we are all going to mess up,but I think you have to try and repent,someone who continually knowingly sins on purpose(i'm not talking about addictions here,where the person is struggling and doing their best to stop) I'm talking intentionally going against God's word,I don't think that person would be a real christian because God changes our hearts. okay,sorry I wrote so much.:) i like talking though,I came to this site to learn more and be closer to God so I hope to learn from other christians like you,if you or anyone thinks I'm wrong I'm open to correction and advice.:)

Upvote 0

SavedByGraceAndLove65

May 16, 2012
✟15,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I wanted to add too(sorry,I know I'm writing a lot.) I don't think everyone in america is a christian,we certainly don't live like we are. a lot of people identify with that and say they are but they don't really believe or they don't live it. I was an example of this too. I've always believe in Jesus,but I didn't live it. I knew He was there,but I didn't love Him and I did whatever I wanted.Here are verses that illustrate what I mean better I think:

James 2:14-26
New International Version (NIV)
Faith and Deeds

14 What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds?(A) Can such faith save them? 15 Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food.(B) 16 If one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?(C) 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.(D)

18 But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”

Show me your faith without deeds,(E) and I will show you my faith(F) by my deeds.(G) 19 You believe that there is one God.(H) Good! Even the demons believe that(I)—and shudder.

20 You foolish person, do you want evidence that faith without deeds is useless[a]?(J) 21 Was not our father Abraham considered righteous for what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?(K) 22 You see that his faith and his actions were working together,(L) and his faith was made complete by what he did.(M) 23 And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,”(N) and he was called God’s friend.(O) 24 You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

25 In the same way, was not even Rahab the prostitute considered righteous for what she did when she gave lodging to the spies and sent them off in a different direction?(P) 26 As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.(Q)

so to answer your first question better,about who persecutes christians in america,I would say that no matter where you go the devil persecutes christians.and just because someone says they are a christian doesn't me they are-only God knows what is in our hearts.I always believed in God growing up,but I don't think I was a christian until I started living for God. idk.. it's a confusing thing.what do you think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0