Are Catholics Right About Faith + Deeds?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I understand that Catholics believe in salvation through faith + good deeds. I also know very well what Revelation 20:11-15 says:

NASB
11 Then I saw a great white throne and Him who sat upon it, from whose presence earth and heaven fled away, and no place was found for them.
12 And I saw the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne, and books were opened; and another book was opened, which is the book of life; and the dead were judged from the things which were written in the books, according to their deeds.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds.
14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
15 And if anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

If you pay close attention to Rev 20:12-13, you will see where the dead were raised and then judged according to their deeds.

It would seem that, based on the Book of Revelation, it takes more than just faith in Jesus in order to be saved. According to those verses, faith without good deeds = a one way trip to the Lake of Fire [Gehenna].

I am fully aware of Ephesians 2:8-9. I am also of the opinion that those verses have been taken out of context and misinterpreted by Protestants, namely because of Revelation 20. For every verse supporting Sola Fide, there are just as many that counter it.

Thoughts?

Note: I grew up as a Southern Baptist. I find myself intrigued by some of the RCC and EO teachings, though I could never be one because of my own differing beliefs.

A real faith based, "love" relationship with Jesus Christ will give you the desire to do and perform good deeds, and be and treat others in a good loving respectful manner if you are really truly developing a real, true "love" relationship with Jesus Christ.

Being judged according to our deeds can mean many different things, it could simply be being courteous and kind and a respecter of other persons, or it could mean actually doing something good for your fellow man, out of love, (the kind of love that was first shown you by Jesus Christ) It could mean taking a stand for Justice or righteousness, but be forewarned, when taking your stand for justice or righteousness sake do not do frivilously, make sure that when making/taking your stand before the court of the heavens, that you are in the right before them, this is why all those warnings about Judging are in the bible, but God respects persons who took their stand for rights and freedoms that went against true injustices, (just make sure they are true injustices is all I am saying)

But being Judged according to their deeds could mean anything really, it could mean "being judged according to what they stood for" or it could even have broader meaning than even that, only God knows what our "deeds" are, we don't even know...

Reactions: psalms 91
Upvote 0

Vanguard PCD

Progressive Christian Deist
Jan 27, 2013
Alabama, USA
✟16,492.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And we come right back to faith without works [deeds] is dead.

The dead will be raised and judged according to their deeds. Revelation never says anything about being spared because of faith. This comes straight from John, who had an angel showing him the future, and dictating what was to be. We can't exactly ignore that.

To me the Bible is very clear about this. You are "saved" by faith, but if your faith does not produce good works, then your faith is not true, and you will be judged accordingly. Being saved is not a "get out of hell free card." You have to walk the walk as well.

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the people I have the most difficulty understanding are those that feel "works" include performing well during church services, (doing all the observances correctly) and attending all the church required assemblies and meetings, and keeping up the proper schedule of religious rituals.

Neogaia 777 hit it pretty wel lon the head as far as I see it.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People who are saved and have devoted their life to serving Christ should do good deeds if they truly want to follow God, but doing good deeds in and of itself, doesn't cause somebody to be saved.

there seems to be this -massive assumption of unbelief that we, as children of God ,by the holy Spirit can hear him and thus obey the one thing he is telling us to do when he is telling us to do it .
why do so many say they believe and yet not hear?

the lord Jesus did not act randomly to the needs of people .. he was being always lead by the holy Ghost -always doing that which-" he saw the father doing" .
I feel this is essential to good works .. for example there are literally millions of works i can give to ..or be involved in etc .. so what is more effect .. that we give Willynilly based on human intellect ?
or that i ask god and support the one he tells me to and you ask him and you support the one he tells you to , because we both acknowledge that HE KNOWS BEST .and as he knows best acknowledging him in all our ways he will direct our paths so that our works be not flesh based but born of the Holy Spirit :)

edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0