• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Are all Baptists Calvinists?

Discussion in 'Baptists' started by p1235, Jan 15, 2012.

1. 1stcenturylady

1stcenturylady Spirit-filled follower of Christ Supporter

+4,163
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    I'm curious why you put "Christian" instead of "Calvinist" to be more precise, seeing as you are not open to the thoughts of other Christians? So if your beliefs are absolutely Calvinistic, why not admit it? I've never understood why some choose "Christian," the widest of all umbrellas unless they are just new to the faith and only know the core issues. That I can understand. But you have peripheral beliefs that are absolutely Calvinistic, so why did you not choose it? As I said, I'm just curious.

2. Hammster

Hammster I’m for peace, but when I speak, They are for war. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+22,295
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    I chose Christian because I am one. I'm not sure what else to say.

3. 1stcenturylady

1stcenturylady Spirit-filled follower of Christ Supporter

+4,163
    United States
    Charismatic
    Celibate
    US-Republican
    I am too, but not all Christians have the same beliefs. Can you relate to Pentecostals or Seventh-day Adventists who are Christians also?

4. Hammster

Hammster I’m for peace, but when I speak, They are for war. Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+22,295
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Concerning what?

5. Swan7

Swan7 Made in the image of His Grace Supporter

+7,297
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Hypothetically, Christians can relate to a wide spectrum of things, but following them are quite different. I don't follow a label, I follow Christ. :yellowheart:

6. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,278
    Christian
    Married

Its a big enough deal that the Reformers and Catholics would have labeled you an Anabaptist and hunted you down...

7. twin1954

twin1954 Baptist by the Bible

+1,460
    Calvinist
    Married
    There is nothing "common" about grace. God brings the rain on the just and the unjust in order to do His elect good. He makes the evil of man to serve Him and His people. There is no such thing as grace which does not save. Our sense of right and wrong is the result of God making man a moral creature. He made us to rule the Earth as is shown in His giving Adam dominion over all that He had created until Adam chose to sin.

God does not pour out grace on those who willingly deny His truth and His Gospel. Show me even one time in the Scriptures where the word grace is ever connected to a damned man.

Common grace, like the separation of the law into parts, is nothing but a theological construct of man. It cannot be truly supported by the Scriptures and is commonly believed because it feels good and sounds good.

8. twin1954

twin1954 Baptist by the Bible

+1,460
    Calvinist
    Married
    But I am good at hiding in plain sight. ;)

You are correct though. They would have. Thank the Lord for His wondrous Providence in drawing out history so that it isn't so today.

9. MrJim

MrJim Legend 3/17/05

+1,278
    Christian
    Married
    Amen!

10. BBAS 64

BBAS 64 Contributor Supporter

+1,346
    Christian
    Married
    Good Day,

Some are and some are not.... I am with CH Spurgeon on this one,

"The old truth that Calvin preached, that Augustine preached, that Paul preached, is the truth that I must preach to-day, or else be false to my conscience and my God. I cannot shape the truth; I know of no such thing as paring off the rough edges of a doctrine. John Knox's gospel is my gospel. That which thundered through Scotland must thunder through England again."

God is my rock and my salvation." What is the heresy of Rome, but the addition of something to the perfect merits of Jesus Christ—the bringing in of the works of the flesh, to assist in our justification? And what is the heresy of Arminianism but the addition of something to the work of the Redeemer? Every heresy, if brought to the touchstone, will discover itself here. I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel, if we do not preach justification by faith, without works; nor unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing, unchangeable, eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel, unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross; nor can I comprehend a gospel which lets saints fall away after they are called, and suffers the children of God to be burned in the fires of damnation after having once believed in Jesus. Such a gospel I abhor.

11. JM

JM Particular Baptist Supporter

+3,062
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    No, but they should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  12. PrettyboyAndy

PrettyboyAndy • Andy • Supporter

+301
    Canada
    Baptist
    Married
    This is a nice topic,

I am a Calvinist, but a Christian foremost.

It's very hard to see it from any other way for me, and I have spent quite some time looking into this matter.

At this new Baptist church I am attending:

The Pastor compared salvation to a gift card. God gives you a gift card, and you can redeem it anytime.

I strongly disagree because both Faith and Repentance is from God, therefore we are unable to come to the Lord, as totally sinful, dead in our sins, and unregenerated without the Holy Spirit with our sinful nature, which is under the leadership of the evil one in the kingdom of darkness.

All this, can only make me an unworthy sinner, deserving of God's wrath and judgment, be so thankful, that he loves me so much he died for me, to give me new life, eternal life, to open my eyes and give me his Spirit.

13. JM

JM Particular Baptist Supporter

+3,062
    Canada
    Protestant
    Married
    CA-Others
    A lot of non Baptists in this thread...again. Non Denom, Charismatic, "Christian" (which is pretty much a useless description these days)...many of these church bodies deny the main point Baptists and historic Protestantism contends for, the sufficiency of scripture alone to guide the faith.

14. quidam65

quidam65 New Member

+25
    United States
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    No.

Free Will Baptists, as their name suggests, are Arminian (they are the only Baptist denomination of which I am aware that rejects eternal security; all the others support it even if they are not Calvinist on any of the other four points).

15. Sovereign Grace

Sovereign Grace Certified Flunky

+101
    Baptist
    Married
    There are way more Calvinists in Baptist churches than there are Arminians, because most Arminians today are really semi-Pelagians.

16. Sovereign Grace

+101
    Baptist
    Married
    And most FWB's are semi-Pelagians. Arminians, the classical one, hold to Original Sin and Total Depravity. Many in FWBC's today reject both OS & TD.

17. Jeffwhosoever

Jeffwhosoever Faithful Servant & Seminary Student Staff Member Assistant Chaplain Angels Team Supporter

+2,881
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Well, I'm a Calvinist and not afraid to make it known.

18. Sovereign Grace

+101
    Baptist
    Married

19. Jeffwhosoever

Jeffwhosoever Faithful Servant & Seminary Student Staff Member Assistant Chaplain Angels Team Supporter

+2,881
    United States
    Calvinist
    Married
    Frankly, for most of my life I thought 100% of Baptists were Calvinists, though in the last 10 years or so I've started to realize there are some that are not. But I've yet to meet and Armenian Baptist in real life. Is anyone on here who considers themselves a full Armenian, that does not believe God is soverign and chooses you, and as such God either doesn't know in advance who will be saved or knows but doesn't make it so (foreknowledge only)? Frankly, I can't see how someone can think that God knows who will be saved and yet doesn't bring that about.

20. DeaconDean

DeaconDean γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον

+2,583
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Friend,

Your a few years too late.

Next to the Soteriology area, the Baptist area was of the hotbeds on CF for battles between Calvinists and Arminians.

Some of the debates twin1954 and I have been in are legendary.

God Bless

Till all are one.