United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If only it were true. But I can dream.

I'm curious why you put "Christian" instead of "Calvinist" to be more precise, seeing as you are not open to the thoughts of other Christians? So if your beliefs are absolutely Calvinistic, why not admit it? I've never understood why some choose "Christian," the widest of all umbrellas unless they are just new to the faith and only know the core issues. That I can understand. But you have peripheral beliefs that are absolutely Calvinistic, so why did you not choose it? As I said, I'm just curious.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious why you put "Christian" instead of "Calvinist" to be more precise, seeing as you are not open to the thoughts of other Christians? So if your beliefs are absolutely Calvinistic, why not admit it? I've never understood why some choose "Christian," the widest of all umbrellas unless they are just new to the faith and only know the core issues. That I can understand. But you have peripheral beliefs that are absolutely Calvinistic, so why did you not choose it? As I said, I'm just curious.
I chose Christian because I am one. I'm not sure what else to say.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I chose Christian because I am one. I'm not sure what else to say.

I am too, but not all Christians have the same beliefs. Can you relate to Pentecostals or Seventh-day Adventists who are Christians also?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,526.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I am too, but not all Christians have the same beliefs. Can you relate to Pentecostals or Seventh-day Adventists who are Christians also?
Concerning what?

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually the baptizing babies thing stems from their view of covenant theology. Historically Baptist have a different understanding of Covenant Theology. Baptist covenant theology and Presbyterian covenant theology are not the same. We differ with them on the Mosaic Covenant and baptism as a continuation of circumcision.

Its a big enough deal that the Reformers and Catholics would have labeled you an Anabaptist and hunted you down...

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The doctrine of common grace says that the good things that exist in the world are the result of the grace of God (not saving grace, but a form of grace nonetheless). This includes things like God giving people governments (Romans 13:4), and God giving people a sense of right and wrong.
There is nothing "common" about grace. God brings the rain on the just and the unjust in order to do His elect good. He makes the evil of man to serve Him and His people. There is no such thing as grace which does not save. Our sense of right and wrong is the result of God making man a moral creature. He made us to rule the Earth as is shown in His giving Adam dominion over all that He had created until Adam chose to sin.

God does not pour out grace on those who willingly deny His truth and His Gospel. Show me even one time in the Scriptures where the word grace is ever connected to a damned man.

Common grace, like the separation of the law into parts, is nothing but a theological construct of man. It cannot be truly supported by the Scriptures and is commonly believed because it feels good and sounds good.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,534.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Its a big enough deal that the Reformers and Catholics would have labeled you an Anabaptist and hunted you down...
But I am good at hiding in plain sight. ;)

You are correct though. They would have. Thank the Lord for His wondrous Providence in drawing out history so that it isn't so today.

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟484,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day,

Some are and some are not.... I am with CH Spurgeon on this one,

"The old truth that Calvin preached, that Augustine preached, that Paul preached, is the truth that I must preach to-day, or else be false to my conscience and my God. I cannot shape the truth; I know of no such thing as paring off the rough edges of a doctrine. John Knox's gospel is my gospel. That which thundered through Scotland must thunder through England again."

God is my rock and my salvation." What is the heresy of Rome, but the addition of something to the perfect merits of Jesus Christ—the bringing in of the works of the flesh, to assist in our justification? And what is the heresy of Arminianism but the addition of something to the work of the Redeemer? Every heresy, if brought to the touchstone, will discover itself here. I have my own private opinion that there is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. I do not believe we can preach the gospel, if we do not preach justification by faith, without works; nor unless we preach the sovereignty of God in His dispensation of grace; nor unless we exalt the electing, unchangeable, eternal, immutable, conquering love of Jehovah; nor do I think we can preach the gospel, unless we base it upon the special and particular redemption of His elect and chosen people which Christ wrought out upon the cross; nor can I comprehend a gospel which lets saints fall away after they are called, and suffers the children of God to be burned in the fires of damnation after having once believed in Jesus. Such a gospel I abhor.

• Winner
Reactions: TCassidy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Hi. I'm not technically a Baptist at the moment, but I have considered going to a Baptist church again. I would like to know, are all Baptists Calvinists? Most seem as if they are, so I'm wondering about that.

No, but they should be.

Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is a nice topic,

I am a Calvinist, but a Christian foremost.

It's very hard to see it from any other way for me, and I have spent quite some time looking into this matter.

At this new Baptist church I am attending:

The Pastor compared salvation to a gift card. God gives you a gift card, and you can redeem it anytime.

I strongly disagree because both Faith and Repentance is from God, therefore we are unable to come to the Lord, as totally sinful, dead in our sins, and unregenerated without the Holy Spirit with our sinful nature, which is under the leadership of the evil one in the kingdom of darkness.

All this, can only make me an unworthy sinner, deserving of God's wrath and judgment, be so thankful, that he loves me so much he died for me, to give me new life, eternal life, to open my eyes and give me his Spirit.

Upvote 0

JM

Coram Deo.
Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟738,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A lot of non Baptists in this thread...again. Non Denom, Charismatic, "Christian" (which is pretty much a useless description these days)...many of these church bodies deny the main point Baptists and historic Protestantism contends for, the sufficiency of scripture alone to guide the faith.

Upvote 0

quidam65

Mar 19, 2018
DFW
✟11,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi. I'm not technically a Baptist at the moment, but I have considered going to a Baptist church again. I would like to know, are all Baptists Calvinists? Most seem as if they are, so I'm wondering about that.

No.

Free Will Baptists, as their name suggests, are Arminian (they are the only Baptist denomination of which I am aware that rejects eternal security; all the others support it even if they are not Calvinist on any of the other four points).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sovereign Grace

Certified Flunky
Jul 5, 2014
Right here, right now
✟42,336.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No.

Free Will Baptists, as their name suggests, are Arminian (they are the only Baptist denomination of which I am aware that rejects eternal security; all the others support it even if they are not Calvinist on any of the other four points).

And most FWB's are semi-Pelagians. Arminians, the classical one, hold to Original Sin and Total Depravity. Many in FWBC's today reject both OS & TD.

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟391,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Frankly, for most of my life I thought 100% of Baptists were Calvinists, though in the last 10 years or so I've started to realize there are some that are not. But I've yet to meet and Armenian Baptist in real life. Is anyone on here who considers themselves a full Armenian, that does not believe God is soverign and chooses you, and as such God either doesn't know in advance who will be saved or knows but doesn't make it so (foreknowledge only)? Frankly, I can't see how someone can think that God knows who will be saved and yet doesn't bring that about.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Frankly, for most of my life I thought 100% of Baptists were Calvinists, though in the last 10 years or so I've started to realize there are some that are not. But I've yet to meet and Armenian Baptist in real life. Is anyone on here who considers themselves a full Armenian, that does not believe God is soverign and chooses you, and as such God either doesn't know in advance who will be saved or knows but doesn't make it so (foreknowledge only)? Frankly, I can't see how someone can think that God knows who will be saved and yet doesn't bring that about.

Friend,

Your a few years too late.

Next to the Soteriology area, the Baptist area was of the hotbeds on CF for battles between Calvinists and Arminians.

Some of the debates twin1954 and I have been in are legendary.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0