twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Most Calvinists don't agree with, or even like being in the company of, "hyper-Calvinists". On top of that, Calvinists (leaving out hypers) have some variation in their thought. That's why I prefer to not use the term, "Calvinist" because I don't walk in lockstep with him. In fact, I can't even say that I fully know everything he ever wrote or said.

Hopefully this website will be helpful to you: Types of Calvinism – A Comprehensive List
That site isn't quite correct. If it was I would be a hyper. I certainly hold to promiscuous evangelism as the Gospel of the free and sovereign grace God in Chrst Jesus alone is to preached to all. I do not hold to duty/faith or to common grace and I certainly believe in eternal justification. I am not even close to being a hyper.

Upvote 0

TaylorSexton

1689 London Baptist Confession of Faith
Jan 16, 2014
Mundelein, IL
Visit site
✟35,301.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Appeal to ridicule again.

The syllogism is:
  • Taylor claims that Oz's labelling of fallacious arguments needs to by made as a syllogism to be true.
  • Taylor makes the fallacious argument look ridiculous by misrepresenting it as asinine.
  • Therefore, Oz's claim about a logical fallacy is false.
Oz

Several problems...

1) You're conveniently ignoring my original request to make my previous statements, the one which you originally accused of being appeal to ridicule, a syllogism.

2) The syllogism you provided makes absolutely no sense at all. There is no logical connection between the two premises, and no connection between the premises and the conclusion. In fact, what you presented is not even a syllogism.

3) I asked you to put my argument into a syllogism. Instead, you provided your own syllogism if your own argument (which, again, is not even a proper syllogism; it made no sense). However, because I made no argument at all, which is what I said before, you failed to do so, as I expected you would, again distracting from what you have been asked to do and the topic at hand.

You keep portraying yourself as some master of logic, yet you have failed do form a simple syllogism. You have again proved your statements to be asinine. Again, it is more than clear to me that, as Jimmy said, you just want to be obnoxious. And you are good at it because, again, you know that it prevents you from having to actually engage the topic at hand. It has worked so far.

You are making yourself look more and more foolish, brother. You cannot even correctly wield the "logic" you are so desperately trying to use, you have made accusations that, when called out, you ignore and move on (e.g., that I am the one that brought up hyper-Calvinism, for which I nailed you with truth and evidence), and you have completely ignored the topic at hand.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That site isn't quite correct. If it was I would be a hyper. I certainly hold to promiscuous evangelism as the Gospel of the free and sovereign grace God in Chrst Jesus alone is to preached to all. I do not hold to duty/faith or to common grace and I certainly believe in eternal justification. I am not even close to being a hyper.

It says that Hypers REJECT promiscuous evangelism.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Not being a calvinist of any stripe, could you please explain the difference to me?
A true hyper-Calvinist doesn't believe in preaching the Gospel inviting sinners to faith in Christ. They believe Gos saves His elect without them ever hearing of Christ. They view election as being salvation where we understand the election is unto salvation through the means of thr preaching the Gospel. We hold that the preaching of the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation to them that believe.

Reactions: DeaconDean
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A true hyper-Calvinist doesn't believe in preaching the Gospel inviting sinners to faith in Christ. They believe Gos saves His elect without them ever hearing of Christ. They view election as being salvation where we understand the election is unto salvation through the means of thr preaching the Gospel. We hold that the preaching of the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation to them that believe.
Thank you. I can see where that idea would come from, even though it violates the Great Commission.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It says that Hypers REJECT promiscuous evangelism.
Wow. I read that in there too.

What a disgusting and offensive terminology. My bible says to preach the gospel to "... all creation." Mk 16.15

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yes but they add many of the things that I believe as being hyper.

1). Total hyper-Calvinism:

Rejects:

Duty / faith

The well-meant offer

Common grace,

Any love for the reprobate by God

Promiscuous evangelism

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
1). Total hyper-Calvinism:

Rejects:

Duty / faith

The well-meant offer

Common grace,

Any love for the reprobate by God

Promiscuous evangelism
I reject all but promiscuous evangelism but I am not a hyper. Many Reformed folks make up such lists in order to accuse us very high Calvinists of heresy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Here's where I fall on the spectrum. Well-balanced, of course ;)

5). Moderate Calvinism

Affirms:

Compatibilism, sometimes a slightly higher form

Few Supras, many Infras, many without a position

Usually Common Grace

Usually the well-meant offer

Promiscuous non-selective evangelism

Love for the reprobate, most say non-salvific

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Here's where I fall on the spectrum. Well-balanced, of course ;)

5). Moderate Calvinism

Affirms:

Compatibilism, sometimes a slightly higher form

Few Supras, many Infras, many without a position

Usually Common Grace

Usually the well-meant offer

Promiscuous non-selective evangelism

Love for the reprobate, most say non-salvific
You have read many of my posts so can decide for yourself where I stand as a hyper.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You have read many of my posts so can decide for yourself where I stand as a hyper.

I don't really give much thought to it, except when it's being actively discussed. In other words, I honestly don't care, as long as you aren't an Arminian. ;)

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I personally know a couple of hypers, and they deny they are. I've not come across one who admits it. Have you?
I was raised hyper and had to struggle with what it meant to preach the Gospel. When the Spirit opened my eyes to the truth I left hyper-Calvinism. Now they call me an Arminian

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Aren't there more things to being hyper than not preaching the gospel?

What about having to be born again BEFORE accepting Christ, because we have no free will? I sure hope that's hyper.

What about if you are one of God's elect it doesn't matter if you keep sinning, you are saved?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Yes

What about having to be born again BEFORE accepting Christ, because we have no free will? I sure hope that's hyper.

Not sure what that is. Hyper-Calvinism teaches basically, your born, born-again.

What about if you are one of God's elect it doesn't matter if you keep sinning, you are saved?

Well, that's a little deeper subject.

That is technically antinomianism.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

Some hypers deny the new birth. Others don't.

All Calvinists believe that you must be born again before you can believe and deny fre will. But we are not robots for we do have a will that enslaved to sin. That isn't hyper-Calvinism it is Scripture.

Dean already identified that as Antinomianism. There are many hypers who are Antinomians.

Reactions: DeaconDean
Upvote 0