Visit site
✟436,533.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just to clarify: there are many people who don't agree that everyone's life matters. But I assume you meant in an Orthodox Christian context.
Yes, I do mean here in particular, though most people would affirm it if asked. I assume the best intentions from everyone here in TAW.

Upvote 0

Nick T

Lurker
May 31, 2010
UK
✟15,655.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure I follow the logic that its wrong to march for Black Lives simply because of the questionable associations of some within the movement. The slogan "Black Lives Matter" is used far more broadly than the "official" organisation and the protests, the vast majority of whose participants are not in any way affiliated with any organised group, are centred solely on the question of racism and police brutality.

March for Life rubs shoulders with all sorts of religious and political groups, many antithetical to Christian teaching from Mormons to pro-war politicians, but since they're marching on one important issue it doesn't matter what they do the rest of the time. If protesters are marching for laudable things like opposing police brutality and racist discrimination why does it concern the Archbishop what they are doing elsewhere?

Wasn't MLK himself criticised for associations with communist and leftist groups in his lifetime? But that didn't make Archbishop Iakovos wrong to march with him.

Upvote 0

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm not sure I follow the logic that its wrong to march for Black Lives simply because of the questionable associations of some within the movement. The slogan "Black Lives Matter" is used far more broadly than the "official" organisation and the protests, the vast majority of whose participants are not in any way affiliated with any organised group, are centred solely on the question of racism and police brutality.
This is precisely correct. It is so trivially obvious it would make me question the good faith of those you argue against but ideology is a heck of a drug.

Wasn't MLK himself criticised for associations with communist and leftist groups in his lifetime? But that didn't make Archbishop Iakovos wrong to march with him.
The entire civil rights movement was accused of being a communist plot, yes. In fact, in some conspiratorial circles you sometimes run into among Orthodox, any talk of racism is still dismissed as Marxist nonsense.

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
that was my main issue with the movement. if they are really for saving black lives, why don't you ever see protests against abortion clinics (even with videos of Planned Parenthood taking money to abort minority babies to counter affirmative action), or protesting gang violence, or protesting when white thugs kill black cops?
Oh, so you don't know anything at all about them, cool cool cool. Keep talking, then. But, yes, you're right about one of those, they aren't typically associated with advocating against abortion. Silly whataboutism.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Oh, so you don't know anything at all about them, cool cool cool. Keep talking, then. But, yes, you're right about one of those, they aren't typically associated with advocating against abortion. Silly whataboutism.

if you have any images of mass BLM protests against gang violence or when black cops are killed by whites, I will happily rescind the comment.

and it's not that they advocate against abortion, they are for it. which is the number 1 killer of innocent African American life in this country.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
March for Life rubs shoulders with all sorts of religious and political groups, many antithetical to Christian teaching from Mormons to pro-war politicians, but since they're marching on one important issue it doesn't matter what they do the rest of the time. If protesters are marching for laudable things like opposing police brutality and racist discrimination why does it concern the Archbishop what they are doing elsewhere?
yeah, I had this thought too. The March For Life has plenty of people from the LGBT movement there, plenty of people from different religious backgrounds (and not just denominations of Christianity, but atheists, agnostics, buddhists, muslims), different political views, different economic views, different views on war, different views on international intervention, etc.

We don't agree with everyone there, even on morality and ethics. Like I said, I've seen a number of people there who had signs like "LGBT for Life" "Queer for Life" "Feminists for Life" etc. But that doesn't mean we're endorsing their messages and beliefs, just that we are united around a common cause of abortion.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

if, at the March for Life, Metropolitan Tikhon held up an NRA poster, then I would equally cringe. the issue is not who a cleric is marching with, but rather by holding up a BLM sign, it can appear as an endorsement of something we shouldn't be endorsing.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Police death of this kind is kind of rare so bringing it up is a bit of a canard, but people involved with BLM or who care about the BLM are in my experience highly likely to be involved in anti-gang-violence initiatives. The converse is even more true. However, protests aren't really the kind of thing for that because those tend to be directed at state power - when they are, they are directed at reforming police responses and tie in directly with BLM.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
if, at the March for Life, Metropolitan Tikhon held up an NRA poster, then I would equally cringe. the issue is not who a cleric is marching with, but rather by holding up a BLM sign, it can appear as an endorsement of something we shouldn't be endorsing.
so if he hadn't held a sign from the BLM organization, it would have been fine? Or if he just held a sign that said "black lives matter" but wasn't an "official" BLM Organization sign?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Police death of this kind is kind of rare so bringing it up is a bit of a canard, but people involved with BLM or who care about the BLM are in my experience highly likely to be involved in anti-gang-violence initiatives. The converse is even more true. However, protests aren't really the kind of thing for that because those tend to be directed at state power - when they are, they are directed at reforming police responses and tie in directly with BLM.
true, the point of a protest is always directed at the state power. Otherwise, you're just talking to your friends (or non-friends, as the case may be).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
so if he hadn't held a sign from the BLM organization, it would have been fine? Or if he just held a sign that said "black lives matter" but wasn't an "official" BLM Organization sign?

for me personally, yes. if he was marching against racial injustice, and he marches next to an imam, Senator Sanders, and Ted Nugent, whatever. more power to them all.

but to appear to endorse a movement which is openly anti-Christian, that's an issue.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

except I didn't ask about what individuals do personally, but what the organization does. abortion exists because of state power, why endorse abortion which is the number 1 killer of African Americans in this country?

Upvote 0

gzt

Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
except I didn't ask about what individuals do personally, but what the organization does. abortion exists because of state power, why endorse abortion which is the number 1 killer of African Americans in this country?
There is a BLM organization but "BLM" is a general movement and a broad slogan people organize under - a confusion which has already been discussed on this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rakovsky

Apr 8, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟67,675.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Police abuse and discrimination against Black Americans are real problems in America. It is good that people are exercising their right to assemble to oppose the problems.

The closure of churches is also a problem. This is because at first the virus sounded very deadly, since there were rumors of millions of casualties in China. But the virus turned out to be comparable to the other outbreaks since WW1 that did not require such harsh measures. Second, church sacraments are a source of healing. Third, they could have kept church services going within a good safety regiment, like meeting outside or keeping people standing apart, instead of closing services altogether.

And fourth, all the Orthodox churches within 2 1/2 hours' drive from me are either still closed or allow only a limited, preregistered attendance that amount to about half or less of their regular attendance.

In the photo, Abp. Elpidophoros, probably the hierarch in the US most directly responsible for closing the services is standing right next to people in a crowd. It's pretty hard to justify this contradiction. If you want to make the argument that going to church is not as important as going to marches against police brutality right now because right now we have to deal with some high profile brutality cases, your response would be reasonable depending on who you are. If you are the head of GOARCH, this response does not seem very reasonable because your most direct responsibility is organizing church services and church life. It's very upsetting. People need to go to church to deal with problems in their lives, including police brutality and suffering from discrimination and abuse in society. How can you shut down or severely restrictive church services when you go and make a show against police abuse by doing the very thing that you ban for your parishioners - standing next to other people in crowds?

A more extreme example happened in Greece, when the same time that Greek officials were closing church services they were also attending concerts with crowds of people. At least in the case of Abp. Elpidophoros, he can make the argument that he was breaking the anti-virus rules in order to protest brutality, not just listen to concert music.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,469,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a BLM organization but "BLM" is a general movement and a broad slogan people organize under - a confusion which has already been discussed on this thread.

that's just an assertion. again, if you can actually show any evidence that shows the BLM movement and organization are distinct things, I would love to see it.

Upvote 0

AMM

A Beggar
Site Supporter
May 2, 2017
Virginia
✟329,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
for me personally, yes. if he was marching against racial injustice, and he marches next to an imam, Senator Sanders, and Ted Nugent, whatever. more power to them all.

but to appear to endorse a movement which is openly anti-Christian, that's an issue.
gotcha, that makes sense. I do think that the movement and the organization are distinct, but I can understand how it would be an issue if he said, "I support the group and all that they stand for" since their "what we believe" page is very clear that they are also pro-LGBT. (I don't see anything on that page about abortion)

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟757,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I hate to say it but I think when all is said and done, the only legacy after all of this violence will be more socially & economically shattered communities. We need our economic manufacturing base revived to some degree because it is on that basis communities have social stability. When that is lost, the result is places like Gary, Indiana.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.