Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your understanding of this Prophecy has many difficulties and anomalies. Not to mention that the Israel referred to is not and cannot be the Israel we know today as the Jewish State of Israel.
I'm not going to argue any point when the words being used are "redefined." This alters the discussion to being solely about whether these words can and should be redefined. We've already had plenty of those discussions.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,262.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I'm not going to argue any point when the words being used are "redefined." This alters the discussion to being solely about whether these words can and should be redefined. We've already had plenty of those discussions.
Yes, and I can only hope that the Day comes soon, when all Christians will have their eyes opened and their ears unstopped.
THEN; the truths of what God has planned for His people, will be revealed to all.

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,550.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Antichrist is not trying to fool God--he is trying to fool the world into thinking he is the real God. Antichrist's position on earth is a declaration against God's authority in heaven. What goes on on earth reflects God's power in heaven. If Antichrist overcomes the Church on earth it may look as if he has authority in heaven, as well.

Just because God had previously a temple made of stone does not mean Satan wants the same. He knows that the fulfillment of a stone temple is Jesus the Messiah. And so, the counterpart to this is Satan's "Man of Sin"--not a temple, in my opinion.

None of this is complicated for me. It actually appears to be the simplest explanation, since the OT temple is gone forever. The temple Antichrist will sit in could be built for him, but it would not be a "temple" such as would be understood from Paul's words.

Paul expressed the violation of God's true temple, which I think is in heaven. It did not indicate a temple will be built for Antichrist, nor are temples places where anybody but deities reside or sit on metaphorical seats.
I give up. For someone who says he's not dogmatic, your intransigence couldn't be more antithetical if you tried.

Have you read Rev 11:1-2? An angel asked John to measure the temple; of particular interest is verse 2 "But do not measure the court outside the temple; leave that out, for it is given over to the nations, and they will trample the holy city for forty-two months." NLT

Here's what stands out from this passage:
  • The Gentiles will trample the temple for 42 months - the same period the "Two Witnesses" and the Antichrist will be on earth. It is impossible for deniers and naysayers to place this period before 70 AD.
This clearly suggests a temple will be built in the end times. I hope you don't take this the wrong way: but the inability to approach the scriptures with an open and objective mind impedes knowledge of scripture and spiritual growth.

Enjoy

• Agree
Reactions: keras
Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,550.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The new Temple to be built in Jerusalem, is comprehensively described and its functions are well detailed in Ezekiel 40 to 46.
Why is this Prophecy ignored?

It is clear that Paul, in 2 Thess 2:4, was referring to an earthly Temple. One dedicated to God, just as the first and second Temple were.
We are plainly told, in Revelation 13 and Daniel 7, how a man of sin, will conquer Gods people and have control of the holy Land for a future 42 month period.
This man will claim to be God and will demand worship on pain of death. Many Christians will be martyred, but most people will obey and when Jesus Returns, they will attempt to attack Him. the result is graphically described in Revelation 19:17-21
Why do you ignore this Prophecy?
Completely on point....

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I give up. For someone who says he's not dogmatic, your intransigence couldn't be more antithetical if you tried.

Have you read Rev 11:1-2? An angel asked John to measure the temple; of particular interest is verse 2 "But do not measure the court outside the temple; leave that out, for it is given over to the nations, and they will trample the holy city for forty-two months." NLT

Here's what stands out from this passage:
  • The Gentiles will trample the temple for 42 months - the same period the "Two Witnesses" and the Antichrist will be on earth. It is impossible for deniers and naysayers to place this period before 70 AD.
This clearly suggests a temple will be built in the end times. I hope you don't take this the wrong way: but the inability to approach the scriptures with an open and objective mind impedes knowledge of scripture and spiritual growth.

Enjoy
I think Rev 11 utilizes the representation of the temple in a figurative way. There is no discussion indicating a new temple is being built. It speaks as if it already exists, and it clearly doesn't.

The temple existed in John's day, and may have served as an illustration of endtime events. Since that temple perished, and no discussion is made of one being rebuilt, it is likely that the prophecy is figurative, or symbolic.

This is my opinion, and does not at all indicate I'm "intransigent." I just need reasonable material by which to judge things.

If you are unable to stomach other opinions, no matter how irrational they seem to you, you're not cut out for this. True teachers and ministers are quite willing to share even with those who need remedying. But yes, if there is such pride and resistance to correction, time to "shake the dust off your feet."

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,550.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think Rev 11 utilizes the representation of the temple in a figurative way. There is no discussion indicating a new temple is being built. It speaks as if it already exists, and it clearly doesn't.

The temple existed in John's day, and may have served as an illustration of endtime events. Since that temple perished, and no discussion is made of one being rebuilt, it is likely that the prophecy is figurative, or symbolic.

This is my opinion, and does not at all indicate I'm "intransigent." I just need reasonable material by which to judge things.

If you are unable to stomach other opinions, no matter how irrational they seem to you, you're not cut out for this. True teachers and ministers are quite willing to share even with those who need remedying. But yes, if there is such pride and resistance to correction, time to "shake the dust off your feet."
I have no problem with dissenting views and rather than walk away, I am trying to open your eyes to new ways of looking at the prophecy. This is the second time you've said "I'm not cut out for debate", but the question is, are you?

Prophecy sees what exists in the future, it makes no difference whether the structure spoken about is standing or not at the time of the prophecy. The vision/prophecy is not about what happens in between (in this case whether the temple is destroyed or not), but what will happen at the appointed time. There is no basis to insist that Paul ought to have mentioned a third temple in relation to his pronouncement of the Antichrist sitting in the temple in the future. It is possible that Paul might not have known that the temple would be destroyed as he wasn't privy to the Olivet Discourse. No one can say for sure how much of the rather dismal revelations from the Olivet discourse the disciples shared with the wider community of believers and Apostles, after the death and resurrection of Christ. It is conceivable that they might have withheld some bits, (e.g. the destruction of the temple - something that was inconceivable at the time) so as not to cause panic and dismay the brethren at a time they were under immense persecution.

But whether Paul knew the temple would be destroyed or not has no bearing on what he said would happen in the end times. Your insistence that since Paul did not talk about a 3rd temple, invalidates the argument for a 3rd temple is akin to saying the Jews would not return from Babylon because they were not taken captive by Cyrus who wasn't in the picture when they were expelled from Judah. In that instance, Prophet Jeremiah prophecied their return after 70 years and it came to pass. When a prophecy is given, history and circumstances must work it out according to the will of God. The fact that Babylon had to capitulate to the Medo-Persians before the Jews returned was immaterial - what was relative was that they would return after 70 years and they did - what happened in between (the fall of Babylon) couldn't have had a negative impact on the prophesied outcome. In the same way, to turn a prophesied literal event into a metaphor because you can't see the structure that is at the heart of the prophecy standing is a poor way of interpreting prophecy.

Bear with me, I mean no harm - it's not necessary to ask me "to shake the dust off my feet." I'd rather you said, "Here is my position" and stick with it than say you're not dogmatic and then act to the opposite. If one is dogmatic, then they're malleable. But you haven't been malleable on this topic, have you? I think you're letting me get under your skin - I'd have sworn you had a thicker skin or was I mistaken? You're the one coming across as irritable now and you shouldn't be. Whether we agree with each other or not, let's have fun debating this topic, shall we?

Reactions: keras
Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,262.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Many other Prophesies tell of a future Temple, one greater than any Temples before it. Haggai 1:2-15, Zechariah 6:9-15, Isaiah 60:7, +

But Ezekiel 40 to 46 is yet to happen, what is Prophesied there simply cannot be said to have happened, and it is nonsense to spiritualize it.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have no problem with dissenting views and rather than walk away, I am trying to open your eyes to new ways of looking at the prophecy. This is the second time you've said "I'm not cut out for debate", but the question is, are you?
Sure I am. I've done it for over 20 years on both moderated and unmoderated sites. I've sometimes had to conform to the mods even when I thought they were a bit "hasty" in their judgment. Sometimes I'm dead wrong, and receive the appropriate correction. I've lived this way for years, but I do sound pretty dogmatic when actually I'm very flexible. All my life I've made changes, when necessary, but they often come slowly and gradually.

I only said you may not be cut out for this because you keep showing that you're exasperated and ready to quit our particular line of reasoning. I actually am happy to have you here, because I've benefited from your statements at times.
Prophecy sees what exists in the future, it makes no difference whether the structure spoken about is standing or not at the time of the prophecy. The vision/prophecy is not about what happens in between (in this case whether the temple is destroyed or not), but what will happen at the appointed time. There is no basis to insist that Paul ought to have mentioned a third temple in relation to his pronouncement of the Antichrist sitting in the temple in the future. It is possible that Paul might not have known that the temple would be destroyed as he wasn't privy to the Olivet Discourse.
I don't think that's a reasonable proposition. Paul not know about Jesus' Olivet Discourse? Not likely at all! Paul devoured religious material, whether in the Law or in the accounts of Jesus' sayings. He was close friends with Luke and Mark, and he knew both Peter and John. And I think he had a working relationship with James, the brother of Jesus.

In fact we see in Paul's writings about the "Rapture" evidence that he knew about the Olivet Discourse. So although what you say is possible, I don't think it's likely enough to base any argument on it.

And I do think it's valid to ask why a prophecy about the temple does not contain material that was used, in OT Scriptures, for temple or tabernacle under the Law. They were sanctioned by the word of God, either giving explicit instructions or producing the event building them with pomp and great regalia. To just mention the temple, as is, in Rev 11 is very curious from the get go.
No one can say for sure how much of the rather dismal revelations from the Olivet discourse the disciples shared with the wider community of believers and Apostles, after the death and resurrection of Christ. It is conceivable that they might have withheld some bits, (e.g. the destruction of the temple - something that was inconceivable at the time) so as not to cause panic and dismay the brethren at a time they were under immense persecution.
The destruction of the temple was huge because it signaled the end of a long, long era under the Law of Moses. It signaled the beginning of a New Covenant era, in which Christ was followed, and not the Law.

Since the author of Hebrews, whether Paul, Apollos, or Barnabas, mentioned that the temple was purely a symbol of the real temple in heaven, I think that for Paul the "temple" really referred to "God's house," in a sense. When Antichrist situates himself thus, in God's place, he is declaring himself to be God. I'm not saying I'm sure or right, but how can this at least not be a reasonable argument? It's the very reason I hold tentatively to this position!
But whether Paul knew the temple would be destroyed or not has no bearing on what he said would happen in the end times. Your insistence that since Paul did not talk about a 3rd temple, invalidates the argument for a 3rd temple is akin to saying the Jews would not return from Babylon because they were not taken captive by Cyrus who wasn't in the picture when they were expelled from Judah. In that instance, Prophet Jeremiah prophecied their return after 70 years and it came to pass. When a prophecy is given, history and circumstances must work it out according to the will of God. The fact that Babylon had to capitulate to the Medo-Persians before the Jews returned was immaterial - what was relative was that they would return after 70 years and they did - what happened in between (the fall of Babylon) couldn't have had a negative impact on the prophesied outcome. In the same way, to turn a prophesied literal event into a metaphor because you can't see the structure that is at the heart of the prophecy standing is a poor way of interpreting prophecy.
Well yes, prophecy does not include every detail in advance. An argument from silence can, however, suffice to render a position more or less "likely" in its interpretation. If nothing is said about the building of a 3rd temple, then it is not likely to ever be built. It may be built, but it isn't likely in view of the fact God often tells His servants, the prophets, what He intends to do.

You apparently think there is in fact material about building the 3rd temple in Eze 40-48 and in Rev 11. Well, that's the whole question, isn't it? These prophecies are either saying this or they aren't!
Bear with me, I mean no harm - it's not necessary to ask me "to shake the dust off my feet." I'd rather you said, "Here is my position" and stick with it than say you're not dogmatic and then act to the opposite. If one is dogmatic, then they're malleable. But you haven't been malleable on this topic, have you? I think you're letting me get under your skin - I'd have sworn you had a thicker skin or was I mistaken? You're the one coming across as irritable now and you shouldn't be. Whether we agree with each other or not, let's have fun debating this topic, shall we?
Depends on the day or the week, brother. We all have good and bad days. I generally have thick skin. But I do bleed! ;)

Thanks for your perseverance. Most "teacher types" like myself speak as if they know everything, the end with the beginning. But it's just a style of arguing something.

I'm being honest when I say I don't know anything for certain about this subject. But I'm arguing, rhetorically, for the position I've temporarily chosen until it is legitimately disproven. It has *not,* in my view, been disproven. And that's why I show no "flexibility"--nor should I if I'm not convicted to do so.

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,550.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Many other Prophesies tell of a future Temple, one greater than any Temples before it. Haggai 1:2-15, Zechariah 6:9-15, Isaiah 60:7, +

But Ezekiel 40 to 46 is yet to happen, what is Prophesied there simply cannot be said to have happened, and it is nonsense to spiritualize it.
Haggai 1:2-15 and Isaiah 60:7 refer to the old (Solomon's temple). It's NOT about the future temple. See below:

Haggai 1:14 And the Lord stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua the son of Josedech, the high priest, and the spirit of all the remnant of the people; and they came and did work in the house of the Lord of hosts, their God,

15 In the four and twentieth day of the sixth month, in the second year of Darius the King.

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,550.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that's a reasonable proposition. Paul not know about Jesus' Olivet Discourse? Not likely at all! Paul devoured religious material, whether in the Law or in the accounts of Jesus' sayings. He was close friends with Luke and Mark, and he knew both Peter and John. And I think he had a working relationship with James, the brother of Jesus.

In fact we see in Paul's writings about the "Rapture" evidence that he knew about the Olivet Discourse. So although what you say is possible, I don't think it's likely enough to base any argument on it.

And I do think it's valid to ask why a prophecy about the temple does not contain material that was used, in OT Scriptures, for temple or tabernacle under the Law. They were sanctioned by the word of God, either giving explicit instructions or producing the event building them with pomp and great regalia. To just mention the temple, as is, in Rev 11 is very curious from the get go.
I tried to draw your attention to something in my last post, but I don't think I did a good job of it, so I'll give it another go.

Judah was exiled to Babylon by Nebuchadnezzar and returned under Cyrus of Persia. But Jeremiah's prophecy about their return did not mention the subsequent fall of Babylon and Nebuchadnezzar. As I said before, prophecies go straight to the outcome. It is not necessary to tabulate the event(s) that produce the outcome. What is certain is that as long as God remains God, the event(s) that occurs between the pronouncement of the prophecy and its fulfilment, will invariably produce the desired outcome. As I said, God decrees a thing and then allows man through history and circumstances to work it out.

In the same way, Paul saw a temple and the Antichrist sitting on it proclaiming himself as God. There's no requirement that he adds, "O by the way, the present temple will be destroyed and it's the 3rd temple the AC will sit in"; because it's absolutely unnecessary! This is what I wanted you to consider. Rev 11:1-2 nails the reality of a 3rd temple like no other passage did.

Rev 11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Consider the bullet points below before you say the temple here is figurative.
  • Verse 1 tells us that humans will worship in this temple
  • The court outside the temple is given to Gentiles to trample upon
  • The trampling will happen for 42 months - the same period the Beast will rule the earth!
I will respond to the rest of your post much later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,262.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Haggai 1:2-15 and Isaiah 60:7 refer to the old (Solomon's temple). It's NOT about the future temple.
I gave the wrong ref. Haggai 2:6-9, refers to a future Temple.
V9; The splendour of this latter House will surpass that of the former...... The Second temple was not greater than Solomons.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I tried to draw your attention to something in my last post, but I don't think I did a good job of it, so I'll give it another go.

Judah was exiled to Babylon by Nebuchadnezzar and returned under Cyrus of Persia. But Jeremiah's prophecy about their return did not mention the subsequent fall of Babylon and Nebuchadnezzar. As I said before, prophecies go straight to the outcome. It is not necessary to tabulate the event(s) that produce the outcome. What is certain is that as long as God remains God, the event(s) that occurs between the pronouncement of the prophecy and its fulfilment, will invariably produce the desired outcome. As I said, God decrees a thing and then allows man through history and circumstances to work it out.

In the same way, Paul saw a temple and the Antichrist sitting on it proclaiming himself as God. There's no requirement that he adds, "O by the way, the present temple will be destroyed and it's the 3rd temple the AC will sit in"; because it's absolutely unnecessary! This is what I wanted you to consider. Rev 11:1-2 nails the reality of a 3rd temple like no other passage did.

Rev 11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.
Actually, you said enough that I understood your point quite clearly. It may be my response that failed to indicate to you that I did understand your argument? My answer to this was: even if it's true that intervening, or intermediary, steps not be mentioned in a prophecy, certain absences of information can potentially be telling.

For example, if we read that Jesus died on the cross, and nothing is said about why he died, we could draw no conclusion about the significance of that event. The same holds true for the so-called "temple" that Antichrist will situate himself in. If nothing is said about where this "temple" comes from, and we know that Herod's temple would be destroyed, then it logically creates a logical curiosity about what kind of temple this could be?

And it forces us to question if this temple is anything like the Tabernacle of Moses, or the Temple of Solomon, both of which were created with great pomp and ceremony? If no ceremony attends this temple in 2 Thes 2, then perhaps it is purely representative of God's throne in heaven, upon which Antichrist figuratively sits by proclaiming himself Deity?

I'm not as dogmatic as you think or claim I am. I really don't know. This is my temporary position until I have more, convincing information.
Consider the bullet points below before you say the temple here is figurative.
  • Verse 1 tells us that humans will worship in this temple
  • The court outside the temple is given to Gentiles to trample upon
  • The trampling will happen for 42 months - the same period the Beast will rule the earth!
I will respond to the rest of your post much later.
Actually, what renders it a likely figurative "temple" is the fact it is presented much as Ezekiel's Temple was, as a matter of instruction, and not as a literal reality. Ezekiel's Temple was meant to instruct Ezekiel's generation. It was not meant primarily for our instruction today, except as an historical example of the need to pay attention to detail in our worship

The Rev 11 temple was also something to be "measured," which is obviously figurative, in my thinking, indicating that precision in worship involves something much more spiritual than simple measurements! This temple cannot, in my thought processes, be anything but figurative.

Finally, no mention is made where this temple originates, and we know the Temple of Herod was utterly rejected by God. Even more so, we read in the Revelation of the ark and the altar, etc. indicating the use of symbols to explain spiritual fulfillments of this furniture in the last days.

They are clearly not literal, in my thinking. The temple in heaven is being illustrated by earthly example, since in Christ it is the heavenly temple that really matters, and not the outmoded earthly temple of Herod.

Rev 6.9 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained.
Rev 11.19 Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and within his temple was seen the ark of his covenant.

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,550.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I gave the wrong ref. Haggai 2:6-9, refers to a future Temple.
V9; The splendour of this latter House will surpass that of the former...... The Second temple was not greater than Solomons.
Haggai 2:6 For thus saith the Lord of hosts; Yet once, it is a little while, and I will shake the heavens, and the earth, and the sea, and the dry land;

7 And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the Lord of hosts.
8 The silver is mine, and the gold is mine, saith the Lord of hosts.
9 The glory of this latter house shall be greater than of the former, saith the Lord of hosts: and in this place will I give peace, saith the Lord of hosts.

These passages refer to the universal church, Brother. The key is in verses 7 &9. At least we both agree the texts refer to the church age and, peace is only found in Christ through his church as born-again believers.

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,550.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Actually, you said enough that I understood your point quite clearly. It may be my response that failed to indicate to you that I did understand your argument? My answer to this was: even if it's true that intervening, or intermediary, steps not be mentioned in a prophecy, certain absences of information can potentially be telling.

For example, if we read that Jesus died on the cross, and nothing is said about why he died, we could draw no conclusion about the significance of that event. The same holds true for the so-called "temple" that Antichrist will situate himself in. If nothing is said about where this "temple" comes from, and we know that Herod's temple would be destroyed, then it logically creates a logical curiosity about what kind of temple this could be?

And it forces us to question if this temple is anything like the Tabernacle of Moses, or the Temple of Solomon, both of which were created with great pomp and ceremony? If no ceremony attends this temple in 2 Thes 2, then perhaps it is purely representative of God's throne in heaven, upon which Antichrist figuratively sits by proclaiming himself Deity?

I'm not as dogmatic as you think or claim I am. I really don't know. This is my temporary position until I have more, convincing information.
In the 3rd temple, Orthodox Jews will resume animal sacrifice with all the pomp and ceremony inherent in the old practice. You still haven't (or did I miss it) explained how the AC will perform this figurative feat of proclaiming himself God.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the 3rd temple, Orthodox Jews will resume animal sacrifice with all the pomp and ceremony inherent in the old practice. You still haven't (or did I miss it) explained how the AC will perform this figurative feat of proclaiming himself God.
It is only the assumption that this "temple" Antichrist sits in will be literal that prompts any question about any technical aspect of Antichrist's "temple worship." If this "temple" is strictly "figurative," then it goes without saying that Antichrist is merely putting himself in *God's place," indicated by use of the word "temple."

I'm not saying this is fact. I'm saying this is my temporary position until better information is found. The only thing I have to go on, at present, is the fact Antichrist "boasts" before God, who sits on His seat of judgment in a kind of heavenly court in Dan 7.

Thus, in my view, Antichrist takes his seat "in God's temple," boasting that his word is able to defeat the saints of God. He is assuming "God-like" powers, attempting to displace God's will. This may be similar to what Satan does in the book of Job.

Job 1.6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan also came with them. 7 The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?”

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,550.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Actually, what renders it a likely figurative "temple" is the fact it is presented much as Ezekiel's Temple was, as a matter of instruction, and not as a literal reality. Ezekiel's Temple was meant to instruct Ezekiel's generation. It was not meant primarily for our instruction today, except as an historical example of the need to pay attention to detail in our worship

The Rev 11 temple was also something to be "measured," which is obviously figurative, in my thinking, indicating that precision in worship involves something much more spiritual than simple measurements! This temple cannot, in my thought processes, be anything but figurative.

Finally, no mention is made where this temple originates, and we know the Temple of Herod was utterly rejected by God. Even more so, we read in the Revelation of the ark and the altar, etc. indicating the use of symbols to explain spiritual fulfillments of this furniture in the last days.

They are clearly not literal, in my thinking. The temple in heaven is being illustrated by earthly example, since in Christ it is the heavenly temple that really matters, and not the outmoded earthly temple of Herod.

Rev 6.9 When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain because of the word of God and the testimony they had maintained.
Rev 11.19 Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and within his temple was seen the ark of his covenant.

It is only the assumption that this "temple" Antichrist sits in will be literal that prompts any question about any technical aspect of Antichrist's "temple worship." If this "temple" is strictly "figurative," then it goes without saying that Antichrist is merely putting himself in *God's place," indicated by use of the word "temple."

I'm not saying this is fact. I'm saying this is my temporary position until better information is found. The only thing I have to go on, at present, is the fact Antichrist "boasts" before God, who sits on His seat of judgment in a kind of heavenly court in Dan 7.

Thus, in my view, Antichrist takes his seat "in God's temple," boasting that his word is able to defeat the saints of God. He is assuming "God-like" powers, attempting to displace God's will. This may be similar to what Satan does in the book of Job.

Job 1.6 One day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan[b] also came with them. 7 The Lord said to Satan, “Where have you come from?”
You are overlooking the reason the Antichrist will be sitting in the temple in the first place - which is to showcase himself as God, this objective will be defeated if the temple exercise is rendered figurative.

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟294,262.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
These passages refer to the universal church,
Seems you are wrong. There must be a new, physical Temple in Jerusalem for the peoples to come to and worship in.
Isaiah 2:2 In days to come the Lord's House will be set high above the hills. All the peoples will stream towards it.
Zechariah 14:21....when that time comes, there will no longer be seen any traders in the House of the Lord.
2 Thessalonians 2:4....the adversary will sit in Gods Temple, claiming to be God.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You are overlooking the reason the Antichrist will be sitting in the temple in the first place - which is to showcase himself as God, this objective will be defeated if the temple exercise is rendered figurative.
I don't understand your logic here? Seeing Antichrist assume "God's Place" of authority, described metaphorically as "His Temple," does not defeat Antichrist's objective at all.

If I say "I'm going to sit in "your chair," I'm using "chair" metaphorically to state that I'm trying to take your position, your "chairmanship," so to speak. Antichrist will try to sit on "God's seat," metaphorically. This *is,* it seems, his objective, to usurp God's position of authority over him, determining his own course in life and pursuing his own independent goals on earth, which for a while appear to come true.

The true Temple of God was in heaven, even in Paul's day, and even when the Temple of Herod still stood. The author of Hebrews indicated that the OT Temple merely reflected the true Temple of God in heaven.

So Antichrist will try to sit on God's seat in heaven, figuratively, by trying to determine his own will, contrary to God's will, on earth. He is trying to usurp God's place in His heavenly Temple. Again, this is my hypothetical position that I'm arguing. I'm trying not to be overly dogmatic.

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,550.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand your logic here? Seeing Antichrist assume "God's Place" of authority, described metaphorically as "His Temple," does not defeat Antichrist's objective at all.

If I say "I'm going to sit in "your chair," I'm using "chair" metaphorically to state that I'm trying to take your position, your "chairmanship," so to speak. Antichrist will try to sit on "God's seat," metaphorically. This *is,* it seems, his objective, to usurp God's position of authority over him, determining his own course in life and pursuing his own independent goals on earth, which for a while appear to come true.

The true Temple of God was in heaven, even in Paul's day, and even when the Temple of Herod still stood. The author of Hebrews indicated that the OT Temple merely reflected the true Temple of God in heaven.

So Antichrist will try to sit on God's seat in heaven, figuratively, by trying to determine his own will, contrary to God's will, on earth. He is trying to usurp God's place in His heavenly Temple. Again, this is my hypothetical position that I'm arguing. I'm trying not to be overly dogmatic.
We see 2 Thess 2:4 differently, but it's OK. I disagree with your metaphorical rendition of the text. For it to make sense given the context of Paul's narrative, it has to be literal.

Upvote 0

Trivalee

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2021
London
✟187,550.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Seems you are wrong. There must be a new, physical Temple in Jerusalem for the peoples to come to and worship in.
Isaiah 2:2 In days to come the Lord's House will be set high above the hills. All the peoples will stream towards it.
Zechariah 14:21....when that time comes, there will no longer be seen any traders in the House of the Lord.
2 Thessalonians 2:4....the adversary will sit in Gods Temple, claiming to be God.
I concur that a brick-and-mortar temple must be in place to fulfil several end-time prophecies. My objection is that some of the passages you presented as support, don't say what you claim they are saying.

Upvote 0