Anyone working in the animation industry?

Teriyaki

May 25, 2011
United States
✟7,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello! I am college with no idea what I want to do. Well, I know about 4 different things, but can't decide.

When I was a little kid, I wanted to either make comics or cartoons. Just this week, that feeling has come back.

Do you have any good ideas for colleges in animation? I live in Texas.

Upvote 0

Sapphyre

pew pew pew
Mar 4, 2009
San Francisco
✟20,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey! Welcome to CF :wave:

I went to art school in San Francisco, but I greatly prefer the online school I'm at now, Animation Mentor. It's AWESOME. And you can do it from anywhere! :)

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat about it more! :) I'm about to graduate in a month so I can probably answer most of your questions. :)

Upvote 0

Teriyaki

May 25, 2011
United States
✟7,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Dang. I wanted to PM you, but I have to have 15 posts. :p

I will just post my PM here-

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I was just wondering, where do you plan on working? If I become an animator, I would like to work at Pixar or Cartoon Network. But then that takes in account if I want to do 3D animation or tradition 2D.

So many different options! It is stressful, but fun. xD

Upvote 0

Sapphyre

pew pew pew
Mar 4, 2009
San Francisco
✟20,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ah, right - forgot about that. Get postin'! ;)

My focus has been in 3D. The school I posted is exclusively 3D at the moment as well.

Pixar is the dream, isn't it? :) I'm not sure exactly where I'm headed. At the moment I'm considering some geographic issues that may or may not determine where I look for work. Once you're able to PM we can discuss that more. :)

I will say this, though: I'm on my second college, and when I first got out here 6 years ago, smart phones and tablets didn't exist (wow I feel old). They're game changers! App companies are springing up everywhere, and definitely provide a way into the business, especially as a segue to games, if you're interested in that.

Plus, there are games companies everywhere! A lot have hubs in CA, but I've seen job postings everywhere from New York to Wisconsin to Seattle and everywhere in between.

I'm not sure if CN does any of their own animation - they may be like Nickelodeon in that way.

Oh, and I agree 100%! Stressful but fun. :)

Upvote 0

Teriyaki

May 25, 2011
United States
✟7,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ah, right - forgot about that. Get postin'! ;)

My focus has been in 3D. The school I posted is exclusively 3D at the moment as well.

Pixar is the dream, isn't it? :) I'm not sure exactly where I'm headed. At the moment I'm considering some geographic issues that may or may not determine where I look for work. Once you're able to PM we can discuss that more. :)

I will say this, though: I'm on my second college, and when I first got out here 6 years ago, smart phones and tablets didn't exist (wow I feel old). They're game changers! App companies are springing up everywhere, and definitely provide a way into the business, especially as a segue to games, if you're interested in that.

Plus, there are games companies everywhere! A lot have hubs in CA, but I've seen job postings everywhere from New York to Wisconsin to Seattle and everywhere in between.

I'm not sure if CN does any of their own animation - they may be like Nickelodeon in that way.

Oh, and I agree 100%! Stressful but fun. :)
Games are actually another thing I enjoy, but I wouldn't be sure as to what I would exactly want to do in the game industry.

I just researched Cartoon Network and they seem to have a studio, but I'm not too sure as what they exactly make in house.

Upvote 0

Sapphyre

pew pew pew
Mar 4, 2009
San Francisco
✟20,848.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yup, they definitely have a studio (Burbank, right?) - just not sure what they do there. Nickelodeon, for instance, does a lot of their own writing, but outsources their animation.

Yay a gamer! :) I've heard (and witnessed) the game industry is a little slow right now, but they'll pick up again shortly I'm sure. It tends to go in waves like that.

Upvote 0

Teriyaki

May 25, 2011
United States
✟7,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yup, they definitely have a studio (Burbank, right?) - just not sure what they do there. Nickelodeon, for instance, does a lot of their own writing, but outsources their animation.

Yay a gamer! :) I've heard (and witnessed) the game industry is a little slow right now, but they'll pick up again shortly I'm sure. It tends to go in waves like that.
Yep! I think their studio is in Burbank. I don't know why, but I've always been more of a Cartoon Network fan, than Nick. xD

If I decided to go the game industry route, I would definitely want to work for Nintendo or Sony.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums