Sep 14, 2015
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Visit site
✟8,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I couldn't find a general prayer request thread, but I've been away for a bit as there was a sudden and unexpected death in my family and just this week now my mother has been going through severe health concerns. I would appreciate it if I and my mother (along with the medical staff caring for her) could be upheld in prayer.

Absolutely - I am sorry to hear of the burdens on you and your family.

Upvote 0

Padres1969

Episcopalian
Nov 28, 2015
San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not sure if it came up here or in a conversation with colleagues, but it would be really interesting to be a cruise ship chaplain. Also, one person I really admire but can't imagine doing is the Orthodox priest in Antarctica.
Not many cruise lines have chaplains anymore unfortunately. As I understand of the major US based or affiliated lines only Holland America still maintains chaplains on board all cruises (or as many as they can find priests/ministers for).

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Happy feast day of Sts. Peter and Paul, everyone.

I preached today that the church putting these two men who disagreed so much side-by-side as exemplars was an object lesson in the value of diversity. It's something I love about this tradition, that we can embrace so many very different Christians in the one communion. I know I am blessed by that richness.

Upvote 0

graceandpeace

Episcopalian
Sep 12, 2013
✟22,175.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So how about a serious question?

Do you ever get tired of people on this website who come to the Anglican forum to A) tell us we're wrong, B) ask a question, but then attack when they don't like the answer, or C) try to recruit others here to their own denomination?

Am I exaggerating?
Is this a common issue in other congregation sub-forums? I never go into the Roman Catholic or Baptist or ________ sub-forum to recruit or be smug about how Anglicanism might be better. I don't know... :tutu:

I do know it would be silly to get upset about a website, but I just like being able to have friendly religious conversations, without nastiness from others. So far, I've enjoyed this conversation thread. :angel:

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm too new to be tired of things like that. ;)

Seriously, though, from what I can tell it happens everywhere. I've been acquainting myself with the Catholic forums a bit and it seems they've had enough of an issue that they've removed their main forum from appearing in new posts.

I haven't felt too much Anglican hate here yet though? A fair bit of angst about a particular "liberal" stripe of Anglicanism, not just in this sub-forum but on CF in general, but that's not quite the same thing.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it's fair to say that the Anglican forum is much more tolerant of what you're speaking of, graceandpeace, than most of the others.

Some will allow a bit of it and others will allow more of it, but most will not allow (without making a report) undisguised arguing against the faith in question by visitors, yet it often happens here on STR.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Padres1969

Episcopalian
Nov 28, 2015
San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's Monday morning here, and the first day of a new school term, so just grabbing five minutes peace with a cup of tea before the frantic race to get everyone sorted and out the door on time!
Hopefully you had a peaceful day! Mondays can be the worst...

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
It's Monday morning here, and the first day of a new school term, so just grabbing five minutes peace with a cup of tea before the frantic race to get everyone sorted and out the door on time!
I was really confused then remembered where you were. What is the normal school year out there?

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, this year's school dates run thus in my state:

27th January - 24th March
11th April - 24th June
11th July - 16th September
3rd October - 20th December.

This year was a bit weird because Easter was so early, normally term one would be a bit longer and term two a bit shorter, but the first break for the year always coincides with Easter. (And then our long holidays run from just before Christmas almost right through January, giving us a long summer break).

Am I right in thinking your school year starts in the middle of the year? I always found that a bit weird.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

11th April - 24th June

This year was a bit weird because Easter was so early, normally term one would be a bit longer and term two a bit shorter, but the first break for the year always coincides with Easter. (And then our long holidays run from just before Christmas almost right through January, giving us a long summer break).

Am I right in thinking your school year starts in the middle of the year? I always found that a bit weird.
In the US at least the school year starts in late late august or September generally, and usually end either late may or early June. Our summer breaks are really long, but that is because historically summer was harvest season and the kids needed to be home to help with the harvest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There aren't semester-type breaks like you describe but, rather, a week around Easter and one at Christmas. Then there are or may be individual days such as Thanksgiving Day, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial (Remembrance) Day, etc. All told, there are about 180 days of schooling.

Upvote 0

Padres1969

Episcopalian
Nov 28, 2015
San Diego
✟28,176.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

11th April - 24th June

Feeling is mutual about what you posted up above :scratch:

Guess every country has their own way of doing it. But yeah most American schools except for the occasional "year round" school start in late August to mid September and run until late May to late June. There's typically a week or two off around Christmas and a week in the spring often coinciding with Easter. One day holidays are sprinkled here and there for National holidays (or snow days in some parts of the country) but by and large the bulk of off time is during the 2-3 month summer break. Just a note those snow days I mentioned are often required to be tacked on to the end of the school year so the end of the year can actually be a moving target depending on how bad winter is in a certain part of the country (for example by cousin who teaches in Boston had over 3 weeks tacked on to the end of the year as snow day makeup and didn't get off until the second to last day of June one year). I always found that particular concept funny myself growing up in California where snow days just never happen.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Snow days.... nope, foreign to me too. Although our current cold snap is so bad they're predicting snow in my city this week. I've never seen snow in this city! (And only twice in my life).
In some places they also have days off if it is too cold.

Upvote 0