Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just a small vent: one of the things I find most frustrating in ministry is trying to pick up the pieces when one/some of my colleagues have provided "pastoral" care that has been destructive and debilitating. :mad:

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Just a small vent: one of the things I find most frustrating in ministry is trying to pick up the pieces when one/some of my colleagues have provided "pastoral" care that has been destructive and debilitating. :mad:

But what a wonderful and opportunity you have been given to correct a wrong! Thanks be to God.

• Friendly
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
A confession: every priest has off weeks. There are times that we can't find a spark during the week and we cobble a sermon together. We know it is probably a steaming pile of dung just as much as the person in the pew but we soldier on with it since that is the expectation of the congregation. That was me last Sunday.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟937,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
A confession: every priest has off weeks. There are times that we can't find a spark during the week and we cobble a sermon together...

Everyone has an off day. But, if you know you're standing up there tanking, at least keep it short so we can get to the restaurant ahead of the Methodists. ^_^

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Everyone has off weeks, true.

I will admit, though, that sometimes it's when I think my sermon is a steaming pile of dung that someone else seems to get something important out of it; and sometimes when I look at a completed sermon with satisfaction and think, "Yep, nailed it this week," it falls flat. God works in mysterious ways...

Do take care of yourself, though, Shane. When was the last time you had leave? (Real leave, not leave spent doing something like moving house).

Upvote 0

Deegie

Priest of the Church
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2011
✟407,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I will admit, though, that sometimes it's when I think my sermon is a steaming pile of dung that someone else seems to get something important out of it; and sometimes when I look at a completed sermon with satisfaction and think, "Yep, nailed it this week," it falls flat. God works in mysterious ways...

Yes, indeed. That's happened to me a number of times. I have learned that either I'm no judge of sermon quality...or my parishioners don't pay much attention. Or both.

• Haha
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I joke sometimes and say I've written some of the best material since the days of John Mason Neale or maybe even St. Crysostom. The Abp. likes my preaching and I have an open invitation to preach at the chancery; so I guess I've got that going for me:)

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I figure the Spirit just does what He wants with my humble efforts, and I don't get to control that!

The feedback I get is that I write good content but sometimes my delivery doesn't do it justice. I'm not a natural public speaker, but I hope that over time I'm getting better...

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟609,647.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I figure the Spirit just does what He wants with my humble efforts, and I don't get to control that!

The feedback I get is that I write good content but sometimes my delivery doesn't do it justice. I'm not a natural public speaker, but I hope that over time I'm getting better...
Both are important, however content trumps delivery every time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟609,647.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I kind of feel like I'm not really in the group you're asking, Philip!

I did, however, want to show off the results of my latest fun little project.

The original piece of furniture was a disused pulpit from another parish; the cabinetry work was done by the local Men's Shed, and we've set up a Little Free Library next to the church... I'm hoping to use it as a springboard to connecting with local bookworms. (Basically, any excuse to read, share, and talk about books; and mission is a great excuse!)

WP_20190731_003.jpg WP_20190731_002.jpg WP_20190731_001.jpg

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,271,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I drove our youngest to college today. We're officially empty nesters now. I've got all kinds of mixed emotions. Mostly happy and relieved that all three of our children have successfully made it to adulthood, but also melancholy, because the house is awfully quiet. And, as always, a little nervously worried, hoping that this last bird will find his wings and fly.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
That's a big shift, PloverWing!

Is your son very far away? Maybe close enough to come home for meals on the weekend, or something? (In Australia, especially in the cities, most of us live at home while we study, so the phenomenon of "going away" to college is a bit foreign to me).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
He's about an hour-and-a-half drive away. That's not close enough to visit frequently, but it's close enough to come home on holidays and special occasions -- Thanksgiving, Christmas, and so on. We'll be driving to visit him next week to celebrate his 18th birthday with him.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I've got a parishioner that's going away too. He's the rector's son. He did community college for one year and is now taking the liberating step of going off to school. His university is a solid four hours away.

I first met him when he was about 12 or 13. When I came back from a two year period elsewhere I got to watch the painful interplay of the organist still trying to get him to sing soprano solos though his voice was no longer suited to it! He was going to be my hunting partner this fall. Now I'm looking for a new one again.

Upvote 0

ChristianGirl_96

Jan 13, 2019
Epsom
✟131,109.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I planned a birthday party today. I also went to work and then I sorted out all closets. My plan is to begin using a children's bible tomorrow to teach the twins about Christianity. Wish me luck!

Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Good luck!

Our synod starts today. So for the next four days we will try to navigate the deep divisions in our diocese with something vaguely approximating grace and peace. I'm not really looking forward to it.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good luck!

Our synod starts today. So for the next four days we will try to navigate the deep divisions in our diocese with something vaguely approximating grace and peace. I'm not really looking forward to it.
What topics will come up?

Upvote 0