• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anyone else feel this way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderStormGirl

Sep 29, 2005
Central Illinois
✟15,167.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi, I'm kind of new here. I'm a little shy until I get to know everyone and have wanted to post this and haven't, but really feel the need to tonite.
Basically I feel like anxiety is controlling my life, along with ADD, depression and substance abuse problems ect.....but....the anxiety is the worst. I've had extreme anxiety problems and panic attacks since I was very very young...the actual panic attacks went away till I was 14 and then came back with a bang. I can control the actual panic attacks now on my own but the anxiety and phobias are just a different story.:( Every time I try to drive, at some point I end up having to pull over, or else I will pass out (WHILE driving)
And then there's the phobias that have been driving me out of my mind...the worst is that I'm really really afraid that I am going to die. When I was 17 I had an eatting disorder and at that point I started having a few health problems, one having to do with my heart. It now beats irregularly, pounds, skips beats, and basically scares me half to death 24/7.

Anyway, it's all gotten worse over like the last year and totally out of hand in the last few months. I am really really scared to go to sleep every night. (I'm afraid that I am going to die)--and yes...I know it's silly..:blush: but I just can't get a grip on myself. I am so scared that I usually end up awake till 3 or 4am, till I am exhausted before I fall asleep and I'm super stressed, haven't been able to eat hardly anything for almost two weeks without feeling nauseated. It's just taking a toll on me. I feel like I'm losing my mind and feel so alone.

Anyway though, I'm sorry for rambling..
I basically just wanted to ask if anyone else had those fears/phobias? And if so is it getting better and how are they dealing with it?
Thanks so much for reading this.

~Sarah

blessedblonde

Jammin in the Name of The Lord
Jul 1, 2005
Detroit, MI
✟30,970.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You are not alone... I got chills reading your story because it sounded just like my life.... I have had issues with all of those things... but anxiety has been the worst. And like you, they would come back and get worse at times... I got to a point where I couldnt drive.... adn I have the most scariest thoughts of dying and torture... I will pray for you! You are not alone... I know it is hard... but God will bring us through it! God bless

Upvote 0

blessedblonde

Jammin in the Name of The Lord
Jul 1, 2005
Detroit, MI
✟30,970.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
ThunderStormGirl said:
Thanks Blessedblonde, :)
It really helps to know that I am not alone in feeling that way. (((hugs))) Is it getting better for you over time, or still coming and going?

~Sarah

Ive been dealing with anxiety for over 10 years... I wish it would go away, but it wont... its a constant stuggle. I'm trying to find ways to overcome it but it does come back every now and then. I pray to God that He will help me with my struggle, and he has. Dont give up, you can overcome this:hug:

Upvote 0

Amin

Mcintyre Man
Sep 30, 2005
Williamsport, Penna. U.S.
Visit site
✟1,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ThunderStormGirl said:
Hi, I'm kind of new here. I'm a little shy until I get to know everyone and have wanted to post this and haven't, but really feel the need to tonite.
Basically I feel like anxiety is controlling my life, along with ADD, depression and substance abuse problems ect.....but....the anxiety is the worst. I've had extreme anxiety problems and panic attacks since I was very very young...the actual panic attacks went away till I was 14 and then came back with a bang. I can control the actual panic attacks now on my own but the anxiety and phobias are just a different story.:( Every time I try to drive, at some point I end up having to pull over, or else I will pass out (WHILE driving)
And then there's the phobias that have been driving me out of my mind...the worst is that I'm really really afraid that I am going to die. When I was 17 I had an eatting disorder and at that point I started having a few health problems, one having to do with my heart. It now beats irregularly, pounds, skips beats, and basically scares me half to death 24/7.

Anyway, it's all gotten worse over like the last year and totally out of hand in the last few months. I am really really scared to go to sleep every night. (I'm afraid that I am going to die)--and yes...I know it's silly..:blush: but I just can't get a grip on myself. I am so scared that I usually end up awake till 3 or 4am, till I am exhausted before I fall asleep and I'm super stressed, haven't been able to eat hardly anything for almost two weeks without feeling nauseated. It's just taking a toll on me. I feel like I'm losing my mind and feel so alone.

I basically just wanted to ask if anyone else had those fears/phobias? And if so is it getting better and how are they dealing with it?

~Sarah

Hi, ThunderStormGirl, I too suffer from anxiety, and depression. The fear of dying is common among anxiety
sufferers. I remember when i first started having it, i
would'nt even go out of the house, and i was also afraid
to stay alone. As for what i've done, i take meds. for depression, that are also supposed to help with the anxiety. They work to an extent, but not 100%. I also take meds. for sleep. sometimes they work, other times i'm up half of the nite. I've heard it can be overcome,
but i have'nt seen it yet in my life. I also have a friend, who is, to put it lightly, a member of a motorcycle club.
He also feels like we do. he's already told me that, when it happens, he feels like he's going to die, and has to get out of wherever he is, and get to a more comfortable
place. I'm just trying now, to rely on Gods' strength,
and help.( Even tho i'm failing miserably), but, i'm not giving up on Him, because he never gave up on me.
Hope i helped a little, Take Care, Amin.(short for A-minor, a musical note).:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Angieh

Oct 18, 2004
✟15,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sarah, Everything You Listed In Your Post Along With All Your Fears, Are Idenical To Mine.... I Started Experiencing Panic/anxiety Attacks At Age 35... However, My Daughter Has Dealt With It Since She Was About 14.... You Know, If You're Not Able To Get Enough Sleep/rest, Your Symptoms Will Sneak Up On You..... Try As Best As You Can To Get As Much Sleep In As Possible.... Hang In There Sweetie, With God's Help Idt Will Get Better..... If You Ever Need An "ear" Feel Free.... I Too, Play This "game" Every Day!!!
Sister In Christ,
Angie

Upvote 0

ThunderStormGirl

Sep 29, 2005
Central Illinois
✟15,167.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thank you all so much for your replies, support and prayers. It means alot to me. It came at just the right time cause I've been having a real hard time the past few nights. Feeling very far away from God and discouraged.

it's not so much the driving but being away from places where I feel safe.

It is kinda the same for me. If I am having anxiety or afraid I am going to have anxiety, I want to be with my parents, at home. I feel much safer here. (I still live at home and have been trying to hold down jobs despite all this anxiety and depression stuff I'm struggling with. I feel so.....small..and less than worthy of anything or "normal"

I remember when i first started having it, i
would'nt even go out of the house, and i was also afraid
to stay alone. As for what i've done, i take meds. for depression, that are also supposed to help with the anxiety. They work to an extent, but not 100%.

I was the same way when my anxiety came back after yrs..in an out of the blue panic attack. It can totally ruin ya for a while. I'm really glad to hear that you have found meds that help you to at least some extent:hug:

Sarah, Everything You Listed In Your Post Along With All Your Fears, Are Idenical To Mine.... I Started Experiencing Panic/anxiety Attacks At Age 35... However, My Daughter Has Dealt With It Since She Was About 14.... You Know, If You're Not Able To Get Enough Sleep/rest, Your Symptoms Will Sneak Up On You..... Try As Best As You Can To Get As Much Sleep In As Possible.... Hang In There Sweetie, With God's Help Idt Will Get Better..... If You Ever Need An "ear" Feel Free.... I Too, Play This "game" Every Day!!!
Sister In Christ,
Angie

Thanks Angie. Is your daughter's anxiety any better than it was at first? Is your anxiety any better than it was? Hope it is

Thanks everyone for sharing their experiences and support w/ me. It really does help.:hug: (((hugs)))

~Sarah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JCFreakVT

Nov 3, 2005
✟15,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
I have Lucinda Bassett's Stress and Anxiety Program. I really like it. I have had problems with Anxiety most of my life. Most likely stemming from my mother's death, the sexual abuse from my brother, the lack of positive male rolemodles, and the fact that i have had 18 jobs in the last 5 years and been homeless 3 times. I know depression and anxiety far too well. I even got kicked out of Navy bootcamp because of a health and mental breakdown.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some characteristics of Anxiety and Stress are:

* Strong anxiety episodes
* Racing heart/chest discomfort including palpitations or 'flutters'
* Trembling
* Nausea
* Hot and cold flashes
* Feelings of unreality and disorentation (zoneing out)
* Dizziness
* Scary, uncontrollable thoughts
* Depressed feelings
* Fatigue
* Feelings of Helplessness
* Panic episodes
* Muscle Tension
* Migrane headaches
* Numbness in various parts of the body
* Strange aches or pains

Or have Extream apprehensions about the following:

* Dying
* Having a heart attack
* Fainting
* Losing their breath
* Going "insane"
* Embarrassing themselves in front of others
* Choking
* Hurting themselves or someone else

Reactions: SparkyMaddie
Upvote 0

SparkyMaddie

Luceat Lux Vestra
Feb 17, 2005
St Louis
✟150,656.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
oh my gosh sarah I get some of these things too. especially the fear of dying lately. I ride horses and watched a friend fall and get dragged on our land about 2 years ago,he died and since then whenever I do have friends ride with me,I get flashbacks badly. I have thoughts as soon as I lie down. I've talked to a few people here about it with similar experiences but when it's happening to you,its you. Prayers.....all the way around here
:pray:
I'm going to try the link above too. :pray:

Upvote 0

ascribe2thelord

Punk Rock Christian
Oct 25, 2004
Columbia, SC
Visit site
✟8,913.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
JCFreakVT said:
I have Lucinda Bassett's Stress and Anxiety Program. I really like it. I have had problems with Anxiety most of my life. Most likely stemming from my mother's death, the sexual abuse from my brother, the lack of positive male rolemodles, and the fact that i have had 18 jobs in the last 5 years and been homeless 3 times. I know depression and anxiety far too well. I even got kicked out of Navy bootcamp because of a health and mental breakdown.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some characteristics of Anxiety and Stress are:

* Strong anxiety episodes
* Racing heart/chest discomfort including palpitations or 'flutters'
* Trembling
* Nausea
* Hot and cold flashes
* Feelings of unreality and disorentation (zoneing out)
* Dizziness
* Scary, uncontrollable thoughts
* Depressed feelings
* Fatigue
* Feelings of Helplessness
* Panic episodes
* Muscle Tension
* Migrane headaches
* Numbness in various parts of the body
* Strange aches or pains

Or have Extream apprehensions about the following:

* Dying
* Having a heart attack
* Fainting
* Losing their breath
* Going "insane"
* Embarrassing themselves in front of others
* Choking
* Hurting themselves or someone else

My ex had this. Can you pray for her?

Upvote 0

ascribe2thelord

Punk Rock Christian
Oct 25, 2004
Columbia, SC
Visit site
✟8,913.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
ThunderStormGirl said:

~Sarah

Sarah, I would suggest going to the Deliverance Ministry forum and posting this thread there. If you do believe that demons can oppress Christians and wreck havoc with their lives until they are rebuked in the Name of Jesus Christ, then I really think you should check them out. Or go to a pastor who has experience in this. And after that, take yourself to a doctor. I've been through a phase sort of like this, but it went away - hopefully yours will too, but if not, go to a doctor and see if you can be prescribed any medications that can soothe your nerves. (Perhaps you are just drinking too much caffeine???)

Upvote 0

thelittlegosling

Nov 15, 2005
✟15,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi, im called sarah too :) i have anxiety problems. I think theres a chance it could be inherant in genes. My mother has a lot of anxiety problems and has been taking medication for over 20 years living her dependent of drugs. Shes also develped alcholism in the last 10 years. Although i have similar anxiety problems as her i would never take medication as i think it a risk. I study psychology and there is a lot of criticism about antidepressents and sleep pills which ironically cause most people to develop insomnia! I just thought i should mention this as pills are often pushed on people who are so down will do anything. Doctors are irresponsible sometimes. Not that you were going to take any but check the facts any one who does.
Sweneways going on for ages here, my anxiety problems led me to develop a guilt complex and psychosomatosis, mine was having stomach pains all the time for no physical reason. Those who suffer from anxiety express it in all sorts of ways. I met my soulmate:) three years ago and he has helped me so much. He is really intelligent and with his help i learnt ways to cope with my anxiety. The most important thing is to look at your self and your problems rationally. Be logical. Realise that anxiety is an emotion just a felling chemicals running through your body, thinking of it like that for me almost shrinks it straight away. At the moment your letting your anxiety control your life which is a waste of your time:) Im confident that youll get better and i hope so. Goodluck:) and remember your not alone millions of people suffer from anxiety like you and everyone suffers anxiety at some point in their life.
Anyway im going on and on lol, just remember its just chemicals dont let it control your life:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ascribe2thelord

Punk Rock Christian
Oct 25, 2004
Columbia, SC
Visit site
✟8,913.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
thelittlegosling said:
Hi, im called sarah too :) i have anxiety problems. I think theres a chance it could be inherant in genes. My mother has a lot of anxiety problems and has been taking medication for over 20 years living her dependent of drugs. Shes also develped alcholism in the last 10 years. Although i have similar anxiety problems as her i would never take medication as i think it a risk. I study psychology and there is a lot of criticism about antidepressents and sleep pills which ironically cause most people to develop insomnia! I just thought i should mention this as pills are often pushed on people who are so down will do anything. Doctors are irresponsible sometimes. Not that you were going to take any but check the facts any one who does.
Sweneways going on for ages here, my anxiety problems led me to develop a guilt complex and psychosomatosis, mine was having stomach pains all the time for no physical reason. Those who suffer from anxiety express it in all sorts of ways. I met my soulmate:) three years ago and he has helped me so much. He is really intelligent and with his help i learnt ways to cope with my anxiety. The most important thing is to look at your self and your problems rationally. Be logical. Realise that anxiety is an emotion just a felling chemicals running through your body, thinking of it like that for me almost shrinks it straight away. At the moment your letting your anxiety control your life which is a waste of your time:) Im confident that youll get better and i hope so. Goodluck:) and remember your not alone millions of people suffer from anxiety like you and everyone suffers anxiety at some point in their life.
Anyway im going on and on lol, just remember its just chemicals dont let it control your life:)

Good for you thelittlegosling. I hope your problem gets better over time. I'm praying for your mom too.

Upvote 0

Amin

Mcintyre Man
Sep 30, 2005
Williamsport, Penna. U.S.
Visit site
✟1,817.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
ThunderStormGirl said:

~Sarah

Hi, I reread your post, and see where it says substance
abuse was, or is a problem. I just wanted to share with
you, i used to do all kinds of substance abuse. I found it only made the situation worse. Do you think it may help if you try to stop (if you can)and see what happens?
Amin. (just trying to help)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.