Anyone else ever horrified by their own mortality?

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟141,386.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To answer the OP yes, and much more so as I get older, but my Christian faith sustains me. I agree with the poster above who said we should not be conformed to this world, as I get older material things mean less to me. I'm in my early 60's I've lost my parents, and I don't want to lose my husband(who is a decade older than I)but God is sovereign. My late mother in law once told me"Only what's done for Christ will last) (She was a devout evangelical)This world is passing away just look at what's going on around us.
This life is fragile, we live in a fallen world, and I'm looking forward to Heaven God willing. I pray I persist in the faith, and don't fall away(and yes it can happen)
and God willing I want to visit an Orthodox Church soon.(I don't drive much).

Also, sometimes suffering can have value, I believe God allows it as it can prepare us for eternity, or bring us back to Christ, if we've strayed. If we never suffered no one would care about God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ILiekCatz

Jan 31, 2020
Leipzig
✟17,446.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

THEORETICALLY, i know that. however, i have a hard time putting it into practice. if you don't mind me getting a bit into my life story; it all boils down to the interest i had since i was a kid in the paranormal side of things. ghosts, demons, aliens (ancient and modern) and everything in-between. my seemingly natural naivite does not help in this regard either. i'm the sort of guy who believes everything "extraordinary" he reads. i used to believe in ancient aliens until i was a guy on youtube very easily dismantling that theory. i used to believe in 2012 doomsday "prophecies" until the 21st of december 2012 came and went. just earlier today i saw a video of an alleged ghoul caught on camera, and i believed it was real til someone in the comment section of that video pointed out to me that it was CGI and why it was CGI. anyone who watches horror movies will understand why this type of stuff scares me.

modern media's portrayal of christians as bumbling fools in the dark fantasy genre, where the christian 'fundamentalist' (or said media's in-universe equivalent) will brazenly approach some sort of demon armed only with his faith only to get mauled, while the cool nihilistic or atheistic or otherwise religiously unaffiliated main character will just use a weapon to kill the demon also played its trick on my psyche. my idiot brain somehow got convinced that Jesus would not help us if we are faced with demonic beings, whereas some testimonies i've read recently say that most, if not all these beings flee at the mere mention of the name.

Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
it all boils down to the interest i had since i was a kid in the paranormal side of things
Yes, I know very well how it is. :)

...however you do it wrong: you need to just ignore all these things and concentrate on Christ. Holy Fathers and the real, deep spiritual life is much more intense that the circus you describe. Also, do not be afraid: if you will advance in your spiritual life then you will find the demons again but on a totally different existential plane.

Upvote 0