Anyone else ever horrified by their own mortality?

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm posting this on an Orthodox forum, with the intention of getting Orthodox answers, but anyone can post.

Life is pain and suffering. It's a fallen world where we have to work for wages, we work to earn bread from laboring in dust. This world is filled with so many evils and so much tragedy; I know of stories of miscarriages / tragic deaths, natural disasters, genocide, murder, sexual assault, homelessness / poverty, human trafficking, all kinds of disgusting horror.

Further, no matter what we are given, no matter what we do, pain and suffering in some kind is inevitable - usually a horrifying kind. All pleasure leads to pain in some way; it's the tragedy of the world. Our close loved ones will distance themselves at some point in some kind, friendships and families break, they die off, we can feel alone and distant - incapable of expressing how we truly feel to each other, on a day to day basis putting on a facade of how we "feel.", etc. Some of us (most of us in some form) have to deal with some form of idolatry, addiction, periods of despair. We can be isolated from each other because we have different moral standards and hate each other as such.

However, this reality is something I've accepted. I believe we have it for a reason. It allows us to grow as human beings and allows us to know what goodness truly is; what God truly is; gives us the opportunity for true free will and to make our own decisions. It's why Christ is so relatable to me; we know God by bearing our own Cross, by embracing our own suffering.

Despite all of this too, our world is filled with wonderful things. Truly, indescribable wonderful things. The ability to discover purpose in one's life; to feel true, authentic love which is indescribable; from our friends, our family, God. Even the feeling that there are people who care for you at a basic level and want you to live on this Earth is something that's incomparable. To feel like we've grown and overcome obstacles is indescribable. We can observe beauty, and wonder at it; whether it's a renaissance painting; whether it's a religious service, whether it's God's own poetic landscape, whether it's music or poetry, whether it's philosophy and logic, whether it's mathematics and science. Whether it's the indescribable scene of a mother loving her happy or mischevious children.

The idea that one day, one day, most of everything I've described will disappear is something that scares me. One day, I'll be on my death bed - a very old person with either white or no hair who is struggling to move with cold, pale, barren skin, in a likely dark room, staring up at a ceiling, barely being able to move my arms and legs. And then, in an instant, the cold embrace of death ends it all. That's it.

We have hope of Eternal Life, and a Paradise that is beyond description, with no suffering, no pain, no more addictions, no more temptations, no more hatred, no more disconnect between our fellow human beings and false facades.

Or, if we are wrong, nothingness. Oblivion. (Maybe reincarnation).

In a certain sense, even though I have much time left in my life, God-willing nothing tragic happens to me, and such a thought makes me thank God for every breathing second I have, I feel remarkably kind of sad that for eternity, we won't have the same experiences of what we had in terms of the type of growth we have on this Earth or nothing to compare goodness to anymore other than our distant but eternal memories. Our own conceptions of beauty will be different; our own conception of love will be different; our own growth and wisdom and understanding will be different; our emotions and sense of love will be different.

For example, we will no longer have Satan's disgusting lies whispered into our ears and living in our mind like a parasite. But consequently, we will never be able to grow in that same way.

And we will never, never be able to experience these things again in a way we once did. Never.

Does anyone get what I'm saying? Has this question ever crossed anybody else's mind? If you did have this question, how do you deal with it?

Last edited:

magiani

Jan 10, 2020
antwerp
✟13,122.00
Country
Belgium
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At some point of my life before I knew Christ I was desparate and terrified that I will dissapear, not only dead in this life but no more me. Then a realisation came to me. I knew with my hart that even if this happens all the beauty and God wil go on. That gave me a lot of comfort and I am less afraid of death now.
If I go to him I don't think I will miss my earthly life. I hope anyway to be able to do as much good as I can while I'm still hier.

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So Christ is wrong or a liar?

I believe Christ was not a liar. We can't know with absolute certainty though that Christ was right, nor can we completely trust our own experiences in believing that Christ was right. Hence "Faith."

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe Christ was not a liar. We can't know with absolute certainty though that Christ was right, nor can we completely trust our own experiences in believing that Christ was right. Hence "Faith."

no, we can know with certainty He is right. as He is God, He can reveal His truth and erase all doubt.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I had a conversation with a friend yesterday.
We were discussing how time had passed by so quickly and we remembered events in our lives that happened so many years ago, but they only felt like they had happened yesterday.
I spoke about the futility of spending one's life pursuing wealth, success and material gain as ends in themselves. I said that whether we are rich or poor, high or lowly, when we reach the grave, the only thing we will have left is our own soul. It is the only thing that will survive the journey from this life to the next and we can determine by our actions in this life and the decisions we make how beautiful it will become. As St Augustine quoted: "Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul".
I don't particularly relish the prospect of dying, I don't think anyone does, but I accept that one day it is going to happen. I cannot guarantee that my final years will not be free of sickness or physical pain, but what I can choose is whether I whether I will spend my final moments on earth free of judgement, bitterness, anger and instead full of love, charity, peace, harmony and goodwill towards others. If I can achieve all these things, then my life will have been worth living.

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
no, we can know with certainty He is right. as He is God, He can reveal His truth and erase all doubt.

How do we know with absolute, 100% certainty that it's God who is revealing His truth? It could be Descartes' demon or your mind.

It's like your existence. The only thing you know is you can think and in some capacity, you must be able to exist to think. You can't know whether or not the existence you perceive is real or not. You could be a brain in a scientist's lab somewhere, or plugged into the matrix, or a part of a video game taking the brainwaves of another alien person. You might be in a coma. You cannot know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do we know with absolute, 100% certainty that it's God who is revealing His truth? It could be Descartes' demon or your mind.

It's like your existence. The only thing you know is you can think and in some capacity, you must be able to exist to think. You can't know whether or not the existence you perceive is real or not. You could be a brain in a scientist's lab somewhere, or plugged into the matrix, or a part of a video game taking the brainwaves of another alien person. You might be in a coma. You cannot know.

if God is Almighty, then He can let you know without doubt.

Upvote 0

Tom8907

Feb 3, 2020
London
✟12,795.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Engaged

Are you an agnostic? If you class yourself as a Christian are you sure you have saving faith?

Upvote 0

TheLostCoin

A Lonesome Coin
Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2016
Ohio
✟234,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
if God is Almighty, then He can let you know without doubt.

Sure. But how do you know if it is God talking? How do you know if it isn't a projection of your mind? How do you know it isn't the devil deluding you? How do you know if it isn't a programmer who is sending commands to the program? What if it's the Sikh God or Islamic God and not Christ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Sure. But how do you know if it is God talking? How do you know if it isn't a projection of your mind? How do you know it isn't the devil deluding you? How do you know if it isn't a programmer who is sending commands to the program? What if it's the Sikh God or Islamic God and not Christ?

the Sikh and Islamic gods aren't directly knowable as the Christian God is. plus, history shows pretty easily that they are false gods, unlike Christ.

secondly, God can make Himself known to remove all doubt. if you agree He is all powerful, it is certainly within His power to make Himself known so that we can know we aren't deluded.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟838,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Life is pain and suffering. It's a fallen world where we have to work for wages, we work to earn bread from laboring in dust. This world is filled with so many evils and so much tragedy; I know of stories of miscarriages / tragic deaths, natural disasters, genocide, murder, sexual assault, homelessness / poverty, human trafficking, all kinds of disgusting horror.

I can so relate to this post. I think many people understand this grieving over the state of this world. For those of us who long for our Lord's kingdom, it can be acute. Sometimes when I pray the Lord's Prayer, it takes me a good bit to get past the "Thy kingdom come" part. All my supplications happen there and my laments, as well. Sometimes I cry out, "What are you waiting for?" not out of disrespect but out of sincerity and longing. When Jesus says, "Blessed are you that mourn, for you will be comforted" I take it to heart as a promise to those who are waiting.

I feel remarkably kind of sad that for eternity, we won't have the same experiences of what we had in terms of the type of growth we have on this Earth or nothing to compare goodness to anymore other than our distant but eternal memories.

Out of respect for this forum, I want to be careful in what I am about to say. And, if it is way off base for this forum, I certainly don't mind being corrected. At any rate, not every understanding of the beatific vision sees it as static with no growth. If memory serves, Gregory of Nyssa understood it to be a matter of continual growth, or better, continual and simultaneous longing and satisfaction. I think the idea is, God is infinite so the possibility that we would comprehend God is out of the question. That being the case, there will be continued opportunity for growth and discovery. Hans Boersma (who has great affection for the Patristics) has a resource on the subject that I found very helpful (see link).

https://www.amazon.com/Seeing-God-Beatific-Christian-Tradition/dp/0802876048

Upvote 0

JohnTh

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
✟32,051.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
That being the case, there will be continued opportunity for growth and discovery.

At any rate, not every understanding of the beatific vision sees it as static with no growth.

Yes, sure. In fact, this - seen as love - is the main difference between heaven and hell.

Static = death.

Sometimes when I pray the Lord's Prayer

Then perhaps is better to pray with Jesus prayer in order to not leave your mind wandering?

Upvote 0

ILiekCatz

Jan 31, 2020
Leipzig
✟17,446.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm posting this on an Orthodox forum, with the intention of getting Orthodox answers, but anyone can post.

Further, no matter what we are given, no matter what we do, pain and suffering in some kind is inevitable - usually a horrifying kind. All pleasure leads to pain in some way; it's the tragedy of the world. Our close loved ones will distance themselves at some point in some kind, friendships and families break, they die off, we can feel alone and distant - incapable of expressing how we truly feel to each other, on a day to day basis putting on a facade of how we "feel.", etc. Some of us (most of us in some form) have to deal with some form of idolatry, addiction, periods of despair. We can be isolated from each other because we have different moral standards and hate each other as such.

However, this reality is something I've accepted. I believe we have it for a reason. It allows us to grow as human beings and allows us to know what goodness truly is; what God truly is; gives us the opportunity for true free will and to make our own decisions. It's why Christ is so relatable to me; we know God by bearing our own Cross, by embracing our own suffering.

Despite all of this too, our world is filled with wonderful things. Truly, indescribable wonderful things. The ability to discover purpose in one's life; to feel true, authentic love which is indescribable; from our friends, our family, God. Even the feeling that there are people who care for you at a basic level and want you to live on this Earth is something that's incomparable. To feel like we've grown and overcome obstacles is indescribable. We can observe beauty, and wonder at it; whether it's a renaissance painting; whether it's a religious service, whether it's God's own poetic landscape, whether it's music or poetry, whether it's philosophy and logic, whether it's mathematics and science. Whether it's the indescribable scene of a mother loving her happy or mischevious children.

The idea that one day, one day, most of everything I've described will disappear is something that scares me. One day, I'll be on my death bed - a very old person with either white or no hair who is struggling to move with cold, pale, barren skin, in a likely dark room, staring up at a ceiling, barely being able to move my arms and legs. And then, in an instant, the cold embrace of death ends it all. That's it.

We have hope of Eternal Life, and a Paradise that is beyond description, with no suffering, no pain, no more addictions, no more temptations, no more hatred, no more disconnect between our fellow human beings and false facades.

Or, if we are wrong, nothingness. Oblivion. (Maybe reincarnation).

In a certain sense, even though I have much time left in my life, God-willing nothing tragic happens to me, and such a thought makes me thank God for every breathing second I have, I feel remarkably kind of sad that for eternity, we won't have the same experiences of what we had in terms of the type of growth we have on this Earth or nothing to compare goodness to anymore other than our distant but eternal memories. Our own conceptions of beauty will be different; our own conception of love will be different; our own growth and wisdom and understanding will be different; our emotions and sense of love will be different.

For example, we will no longer have Satan's disgusting lies whispered into our ears and living in our mind like a parasite. But consequently, we will never be able to grow in that same way.

And we will never, never be able to experience these things again in a way we once did. Never.

Does anyone get what I'm saying? Has this question ever crossed anybody else's mind? If you did have this question, how do you deal with it?

i'm more afraid of demons, alien invasions and other such things. other humans we can deal with. natural disasters too, though to a far lesser extent. I'm more afraid of outside-context problems just popping up one day.

Upvote 0