Anybody else envy of the wealthy and powerful?

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have this feeling of bitterness and "envy" (not sure if that's exactly the right word) toward those collectively who are rich and very influential. I don't envy them in a material sense per se. I don't necessarily agree with them or like them. But, they collectively manipulate our society and the thing is they get perks for doing so and get little if any comeuppance.

Like those in Hollywood, they are in positions of powerful prestige, yet as a general rule they are anti-Christian or anti-Conservative/anti-Libertarian. The point is that they are the ones who control and manipulate society on a daily basis, while Christians and many Conservatives or libertarians are quiet and pacifist. They have no organized popularity or prestige on even close to the same scale that the other side collectively does. Why can't prestige or being popular be for other people?

I'm going off on a little ramble here, but I hope some people will get where this post is coming from. I tend to do that a lot.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anybody else envy of the wealthy and powerful?
Not particularly. I have Jesus. All they have is money.

If I had more money along the way, that would be a positive. But if it has to be either/or, I'll stick with Jesus.

Reactions: GospelS
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know it is thrown in our face all the time, so it is natural to be a bit envious of those who have more. However, money and fame doesn't equal happiness. Look at all the celebrity suicides and other problems. It is very possible to be poor and happy and also possible to be rich and miserable. I see your an agnostic, but really there is much value and joy in having a full spiritual life and ultimately might be all that matters.

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I have this feeling of bitterness and "envy" (not sure if that's exactly the right word)

It is.

Like those in Hollywood, they are in positions of powerful prestige, yet as a general rule they are anti-Christian

Evidence please. This sounds like the unevidenced stuff based on the envy you admitted to in line 1.

while Christians and many Conservatives or libertarians are quiet and pacifist.

That is completely untrue.

I'm going off on a little ramble here, but I hope some people will get where this post is coming from. I tend to do that a lot.

I got it, it's coming from your envy and bitternes

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

VCR-2000

Dec 27, 2018
PA/New York
✟107,770.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know it is thrown in our face all the time, so it is natural to be a bit envious of those who have more. However, money and fame doesn't equal happiness. Look at all the celebrity suicides and other problems. It is very possible to be poor and happy and also possible to be rich and miserable. I see your an agnostic, but really there is much value and joy in having a full spiritual life and ultimately might be all that matters.

I'm not saying about the money and fame per se. But I just want to know what it would be like if they were the ones being hit in the face. And there used to be more acceptance of Christians or non-leftists in Hollywood in the past.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do I envy the wealthy and powerful? Yeah.. I do.. I'm human, lol.

I would love to be a billionaire. Not so much that I can have the nice house and fancy cars, but more so that I would have the means to fund research for issues I passionately care about. Or to have the financial influence to prop up causes that I am fond of. Thinking about individuals who are sitting on a lot of money and do very little with it makes me mad.

At the very least we can be thankful for the internet age. The common man can more easily amass an audience than ever before.

Upvote 0

Kessa

I'd rather be a mermaid
Apr 1, 2020
Savannah, Georgia
✟9,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I don't envy them, because I think money is a corrupting influence. Look at who the rich are. Kim Kardashian. Donald Trump. Mark Zuckerberg. Have you ever seen them smile when it wasn't for a photo op? Do you ever hear them talk about spiritual fulfilment, their love for their creator, or an experience of transcendence when there's no product being pitched? Did you ever learn of their generous, compassionate spirit second-hand after they refused to take credit or receive accolades and worship for it? Ever see them experience a real connection with another human being that wasn't tainted with lust, drama, and greed? They contribute nothing and they have nothing. I'd hate to be them. You couldn't pay me enough to be them.

Upvote 0