Any Singles in their 50's?

JeanR

Resting in the Lord
Nov 3, 2006
✟15,934.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
I turned 50 this year. I have been mainly in the forum for widows/widowers, but I think I am ready to venture out. I didn't expect to become single, but here I am beginning a new life.

My kids have been so wonderful during this time, but I am afraid they think they have to take care of me. I keep telling them I'm 50, not 70.

I have started a new job that requires quite a bit of traveling. I'm getting used to carrying my own luggage and carting around the laptop. I have even found out how to find hook the stupid thing up in hotel rooms.

Upvote 0

Joyandpeace

Senior Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Baton Rouge, LA
✟10,630.00
Faith
Christian
I'm getting used to carrying my own luggage and carting around the laptop. I have even found out how to find hook the stupid thing up in hotel rooms.

LOL! I think whether widowed or divorced some things are just the same. I've been divorced for 5 years.

I understand exactly. I travel quite a bit for work too. I was so spoiled I never even drove to the airport. Always taken there and picked up so I know what you mean!

During the last five years I've had to buy a house by myself and a car. It is so hard at first making those types of decisions by yourself.

Sounds like you have some good support with your children. I'm so very glad for you! How old are you children?

Upvote 0

faithopelove

Veteran
Mar 21, 2006
✟21,321.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Faithopelove,
Thanks for the link. Very interesting!
So what do you think was going on that year that led to so many babies!?
I've read that it was the height of the baby boom years. Maybe a lot of solders got home that year. ;)

Upvote 0

jcj3803

Jan 11, 2007
✟8,762.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Smaller for a male? I'm surprised! I would think for a male it would be a larger dating pool! It is definitely smaller for a female as I've found the men my age are looking at 35-45 age range.
Not all guys in their fifties are looking for 35-45 year olds. Personally, I've found that that age group tends to have more issues to work through. Older women tend to be more "steady" (?) emotionally. Besides, crowsfeet can actually be sexy!

Reactions: SandyLou
Upvote 0

Joyandpeace

Senior Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Baton Rouge, LA
✟10,630.00
Faith
Christian
Not all guys in their fifties are looking for 35-45 year olds. Personally, I've found that that age group tends to have more issues to work through. Older women tend to be more "steady" (?) emotionally. Besides, crowsfeet can actually be sexy!
That is very encouraging of you to say!
Thank you!

Upvote 0

Joyandpeace

Senior Veteran
Oct 29, 2005
Baton Rouge, LA
✟10,630.00
Faith
Christian
Being a new single, I don't really know how things work anymore. I'm not interested in remarrying, but would like to have someone for companionship--just dinner, occasional movie, long walks, and then he goes home. Is this realistic?
I think it is realistic - maybe not easy to find - but not impossible! I rest in the knowledge that God knows what we need and will provide a companion at just the right time - if that is what He wills for us.

Upvote 0

jcj3803

Jan 11, 2007
✟8,762.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think it is realistic - maybe not easy to find - but not impossible! I rest in the knowledge that God knows what we need and will provide a companion at just the right time - if that is what He wills for us.
Hey Joy & P,

No charge!

JeanR,

It's not impossible to find a friendly companion. Just please be upfront with the guy about where you are in life. Some guys will walk away, some will think you'll change your mind, but some will accept it and just enjoy your company.

I've found that when I quit striving for things and trust in God's will, things work out quite nicely.

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Being a new single, I don't really know how things work anymore. I'm not interested in remarrying, but would like to have someone for companionship--just dinner, occasional movie, long walks, and then he goes home. Is this realistic?

Absolutely. I love dining out, but don't want to do it alone, although I do. I don't happen to believe that all "dating" has to lead towards marriage, like some of the young folks around here. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pilgrim1951

Aug 28, 2004
Tennessee
✟8,976.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am so glad to see this thread regarding singles in their 50's. When I came to the "Mature Singles" part of this forum, my assumption was that they were talking about my age group. Imagine my surprise when I found that they were talking about "mature" singles in their 30's and 40's! lol Anyway, I am pleased to meet all of you and hope to get to know you all better. Pilgrim:hug:

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Sorry I missed all this nice conversation till today. I was on my 2nd singles cruise. Had a great time seeing 6 islands in the southern Caribbean that I'd not visited before.

I've been divorced for 8 yrs now. Having the time of my life, so many things out there to find interesting and to do. Meeting new people gives me a chance to share Jesus with them.

Even if you were really good at dating in say your 20's I don't think that helps much with dating in our 40's, 50's, or 60's etc. Things are just to different not only with the years that have passed. But at our age we are so different than we were back then. So I think there is little that transfers.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
It is not pleasant to be a 50 year old never married virgin!!:o

You keep bringing this up. Do you believe that being a virgin makes you better in some way than the other singles on this forum? Since you haven't married, it is just evidence that you have followed God in this area and have been protected from some of the harmful side effects of out of wedlock sex. It isn't a banner like they wear in beauty pageants. It doesn't even make you a better person...just obedient to God in this area...or maybe just God protected you by not putting the opportunity in your path.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0