Any Native (TRUE) americans on here that could help me?

Jahleel

Sep 19, 2012
UK
✟283.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Blessings to any Native Americans on here.
I`m hoping you can help me, basically i want to practise native american religion before the white man illegally stole the land that wakan tanka gave you.
Is it like modern paganism? is there a set doctrine?

Please no lectures on chiristianity just proper native american religion.

Thank you.:thumbsup:
May Wakan Tanka bless your people.

Mar 1, 2013
✟7,666.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
There is no Native American Religion. Native Americans were traditionally spiritual people who tried to live in a manner in which they were fully aware and in tune with both the temporal and physical world at all times. As individuals a person can speak of their own understandings and experiences. Some, who are community leaders or elders may carry specific messages or pieces of tribal knowedge and have been given the role of spokesperson in some situations, but there is no institution, no priestly order, no hierarchy that rules over the spirituality of the individuals.
In saying this, I am not speaking for all Natives. This is the knowledge I have been given and it is what I understand. I am an Aboriginal person who identifies myself as a Christian and I practise my Native spirituality in the manner of my elders, family, and friends as I journey onwards.

Upvote 0

Ribs

May 14, 2007
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,594.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Are you Native American Jahleel? And have either of you grown up on a reservation?

I am, and have grown up on a reservation. If you want to practice Indian Religion, here's a warning. It can be very very dark. It is like paganism, and very demonic. I'm not just giving you a Christianized lecture, this is just from the things I've heard of it growing up.

Medicine men can put a dead body in a sweat lodge, and three days later it will be alive again. Some, if they have their Pendleton blanket, can walk through walls. There's been curses put on people. A friend was practicing witchcraft before he came to Christ and the reservation, and he said the Indian Religious ceremonies have alot in common with witchcraft. So watch where you step. I wouldn't recommend it in the slightest bit.

But I also believe that my tribe was in touch with the Trinity before the settlers came over, and that God used the settlers to bring the Native people fully to Him. There were prophecies that men dressed in black would bring black books, and those books carried the truth. Several years later the Jesuits came. So yeah, there are some pretty neat stories. But also some very dark stuff.

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2013
✟7,666.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I have lived on a few Reserves which is what we call Reservations in Canada, but my Dad was militarys so most of my growing up was on a base. I have been warned to be wise as you say where I step and have warned my daughter to also be cautious in accepting invitations to participate in ceremonies. Just as with any worship, we have to clear on the purpose and the intent both of the actions and the people involved. I was taught to be wary of anyone saying they represent all Natives, or speaking of what I must do as if there are rules for all people to follow because this usually a sign of a person who is not truly in tune with the Creator. I've heard of some who use Bad Medicine and certainly seek to harm and I never mess with anything I think God wouldn't sanction. People without faith or weak faith really need to be be wary as there is a lot of bad.
I love that you mention your people knowing the trinity and the prophecies of the Book! We have those traditions too in many of our nations. It is awesome how God was working among the people and the Blessings are great for those who believe!

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2013
✟7,666.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Your from Canada? My reservation here in America is connected to one in Alberta, Canada. We are the Blackfeet. What reserve are you from?

I am not on a rez now, my origins are with the Longhouse people of 6 Nations (Seneca and Mohawk) but I was raised Anishnabe of the Ottawa Valley style and then later I lived on the Rez at Grouard Alberta which is Plains Cree and also in Attawapiskat Ontario which is Meskegowuk (Swampy) Cree. I get a lot of teasing for all my time with the Cree from my 6"N buddies since they were enemies once apon a time! My husband and daughter are Attawapiskat FN members, but we live in a small city in Southern Ontario. I guess I am a wanderer as I hope again to go West one day. I miss those rivers of grass and endless Alberta skies! I have always wanted to see the Black Hills and spend time with more of the people - God has given us such a beautiful land!:amen:

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2013
✟7,666.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I have to tell you a story - last year I was visiting at 6 Nations and went with a friedn to hear kids at a school for Mohawk immersion give a presentation on their trip to New Mexico where they stayed in a traditional Hopi Community and then went to a huge Pow Wow. The kids were amazed by the love they were given their and the respect with which they were treated by tribal members young and old. They couldn't get over the peace and simple, traditional lifestyle they saw around them and each one said they really didn't want to come home and wished they could stay. They were puzzled all the more because these Hopi were Christians! This was something they thought was impossible for a traditional person to be as they had thought Christianity was a White Man's religion that was evil. Yet on their own reserve they saw none of the love and respect their hearts were craving and none of the peace.
I couldn't help but think "out of the mouths of babes..." Of course I am not saying there is no love or goodness at 6 Nations - there is faith deep and love for the Creature that abides, but there is also a lot of despair and hopelessness even as they try to reclaim their identities and culture because for many they cannot accept any unity between thei former beliefs and those of the Bible. For myself I have seen both sides - communities rich with Christian faith and love that has not taken anything away from the traditions of family and devotion to a life of respect and harmony and communities where interdenominational strife, the burden of residential school abuse and bad medicine have torn people apart. But I felt great hope in the witness of the Hopi to those kids. I was raised in that way myself and am very happy in my spirit. I pray more of the people will find such peace.

Upvote 0

Ribs

May 14, 2007
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,594.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Here's some more to hope on:

Revival is sweeping through the reservations :)

First starting with the kids, then on to the Flathead Indian Reservation, then on to the Blackfeet Reservation. Some reservations down south. So much hunger for it :)

Upvote 0
Mar 1, 2013
✟7,666.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Here's some more to hope on:

Revival is sweeping through the reservations :)

First starting with the kids, then on to the Flathead Indian Reservation, then on to the Blackfeet Reservation. Some reservations down south. So much hunger for it :)

That is such wonderful news!I kind of envy people living in the States as they seems to have a more vital Faith community. Perhaps it is the struggles you must face there with popular culture that is so anti-Christian that help keep you frsh. In Canada the majority of the people say they are Christians (over 70%) but at the same time it is very hard to see expressed anywhere in our land or culture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟300,088.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That is such wonderful news!I kind of envy people living in the States as they seems to have a more vital Faith community. Perhaps it is the struggles you must face there with popular culture that is so anti-Christian that help keep you frsh. In Canada the majority of the people say they are Christians (over 70%) but at the same time it is very hard to see expressed anywhere in our land or culture.

I think it's more like 70% for USA too.

I don't see any good with antiChristian pop culture, many Christian churches I've been to around the world adopted some of its elements to appease its antiChristian-popculture-loving members...

...In the end they starve the Sheep of God who wants nothing of this world's garbage.

Upvote 0

Tatanka_Maza

Apr 8, 2010
✟7,634.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What Nation are you?

To say it is "very dark" tells me you have no experience firsthand with traditional ways.

Are you Native American Jahleel? And have either of you grown up on a reservation?

I am, and have grown up on a reservation. If you want to practice Indian Religion, here's a warning. It can be very very dark. It is like paganism, and very demonic. I'm not just giving you a Christianized lecture, this is just from the things I've heard of it growing up.

Medicine men can put a dead body in a sweat lodge, and three days later it will be alive again. Some, if they have their Pendleton blanket, can walk through walls. There's been curses put on people. A friend was practicing witchcraft before he came to Christ and the reservation, and he said the Indian Religious ceremonies have alot in common with witchcraft. So watch where you step. I wouldn't recommend it in the slightest bit.

But I also believe that my tribe was in touch with the Trinity before the settlers came over, and that God used the settlers to bring the Native people fully to Him. There were prophecies that men dressed in black would bring black books, and those books carried the truth. Several years later the Jesuits came. So yeah, there are some pretty neat stories. But also some very dark stuff.

Reactions: GrannyM
Upvote 0