Visit site
✟1,065.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's the Last Battle. That book makes me cry every time I read it...but as there are people around who haven't read the Last Battle I can't say why.
And I agree with you Fijian. It amazes me how like Jesus the character of Aslan was written. He is an allegory of the real person, but the way Aslan acts in the books is the way you expect Jesus did when he was on the earth. Safe indeed...no such thing when we're in God's hands...yet at the same time like Lucy and Susan said in Prince Caspian, they wouldn't feel safer with anyone else.

Upvote 0

Freakconformist

Continually Humbled
Sep 13, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Visit site
✟8,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Ingolion said:
I personally prefered "The Last Battle" or... was it "The Final Battle" It's been so long since I've read them.

I think alot of people only read "the Last Battle" once. It's very deep and when you do read it it reveals alot about God and the end time to come. This is likely alot more then somebody who is casually reading the Cronicals is ready for. Even "the Magician's Nephew" is very telling and may be too much for some.

I don't think I read "The Last Battle" since I became a christian. I think I'm going to sit down and do that now. Se you in a few hours. ;)

Upvote 0

Freakconformist

Continually Humbled
Sep 13, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Visit site
✟8,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Freakconformist said:
I think alot of people only read "the Last Battle" once. It's very deep and when you do read it it reveals alot about God and the end time to come. This is likely alot more then somebody who is casually reading the Cronicals is ready for. Even "the Magician's Nephew" is very telling and may be too much for some.

I don't think I read "The Last Battle" since I became a christian. I think I'm going to sit down and do that now. Se you in a few hours. ;)

:cry:
Well I took me a little more then three hours when I got down to it, but it was a great read. Such a beautiful story in the end. Esspecially when They all realize that thier parents had died too and were waiting for them on the other side of the "mountain" :cry:

Upvote 0

Freakconformist

Continually Humbled
Sep 13, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Visit site
✟8,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
mrshoward said:
I think the "Arabian" characters in "The Last Battle" were interesting too--who knew, when Lewis wrote that book, how prominent Islam would become?

Very true, I think Lewis put it in because Islam was and still is a promenent religion in the Holy Lands. I find it interesting though the character of the young Caloraman, Emeth, also went to "heaven" with everybody else, because he was a good man and worshiped honestly.

I of coarse believe that all who worship Jesus will enter into Heaven, but I think it would be a pleasent surprise to see good men like Ghandi and the Dali Lama will happily be sitting outside of the Gates.

Another segment of people I though interesting for CS Lewis to touch upon were the disbelieving Dwarves. They had also entered into "heaven" but had convinced themselves that they were still stuck inside the stable. I'm pretty sure Lewis was refering to Athiests. Aslan called it a "prison of the mind", and that rings very true to me.

Another allegory Lewis used was using the stable to represent "death." Though they had no real reason to fear the simple wooden structure, up until the "final battle" it showed no sign of being special. However the characters were constantly looking at it with fear and horror. All the while, in the end it ended up being the final portal to "heaven"

That allegory leads to the part where "High King Peter" (St. Peter) was the one who finally shut and locked the stable doors. (The gates to "heaven") That part started me to looking at how High King Peter represented St. Peter. After Aslan made his sacrifice at the stone table, it was Peter who stayed for so many years afterward to rule Narnia. And instead of leaving an hier (you notice none of the Narnian kings were ever married) he passed it on to the rightful hier a decendant of King Frank.

Okay enough analysis from me. I'm bound to make peoples heads explode. :D

Upvote 0

Freakconformist

Continually Humbled
Sep 13, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Visit site
✟8,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
GodsMerryLittleAngel said:
oh wow, i'm a very big narnia fan :clap:
i have all of the books in my book case. and isn't there going to be a motion picture based from the narnia stories.

Yes, I believe it opens on December 9th in the USA. It's based on the first book, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. Its even called "The Chronicals of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" So we're all hoping it becomes another series like JRR Tolkien's, The Lord of the Rings. :clap:

Edit: Though I think they would have to do the whole series rather fast, like the Harry Potter movie, most of the characters age very little through out the series. Edmond, Lucy and Eustance would be in three, and the books that feature Eustance and Polly have two books between them. Unfortunately, from a laymans perspective, The Horse and His Boy would have nothing to do with the whole plot, so that book will likely be cut out. The Magicians Nephew, doesn't fit well either, so that will probably be cut too. :sigh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eruliel

Jun 26, 2005
In Christ
Visit site
✟1,065.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Freakconformist said:
:cry:
Well I took me a little more then three hours when I got down to it, but it was a great read. Such a beautiful story in the end. Esspecially when They all realize that thier parents had died too and were waiting for them on the other side of the "mountain" :cry:

It is a gorgeous story, and you touched down on some great points. You're right about the Islam thing, and it's interesting to find that in today's culturaly conscious world God and Allah become the same being: Gollah if you will, much like Tashlan in the Last Battle.

I didn't pick up on the St. Peter/King Peter allegory. Something that made me think though was when Aslan is sorting those who had died in the battle, and were now rushing towards him. He sorted those that looked with horror on him to the left, and those who loved him to the right, and in that latter company was a dwarf that had shot the horses. Possibly an allegory for a Christian who died in sin, it made me think about the experience my family, some friends and I had with a " An Aslan loving horse shooting dwarf" a couple of years ago. Point is: The man died in sin, but he loved Christ. He hurt the cause of Christ, but Christ forgave, and allowed him to enter glory. Confusing, but that's no reason not to forgive...there never is a reason for unforgiveness.

Another cool thing that I like about the Last Battle is it's emphasis on mountains. In the Bible the place where you can find God is on a mountain...Mt. Hebor, Mt. Sinai, the Mount of Olives, Golgatha, and the Temple Mount. God's holy city, the church is set on Mt. Zion. The transfiguration was on a mountain. When Elijah set the contest between him and the prophets of Baal it took place on Mt. Caramel and God showed his glory there (this fact has also led alot of people to believe the Hebrew Jehovah was a mountain god. Yeah...but he's also the God of thunder, lighting, floods, volcanoes...the list goes on). In the Last Battle you go further up and further in till you reach a mountain where the allegorical Garden of Eden resides on a high mountain top, and there the characters (and historical figures like Adam and Eve) reside with Aslan. Aslans Country is also set on a high cliff...on a mountain. The stone table is set on a mountain, and if you will the witness of Aslans resurrection was a mountain top experience for the girls, just like the sudden realization that Jesus rose again and that you love him is a mountain top experience for those who realize it. It's great.

I think that Lewis put an allegory of himself into the chronicle with Trumpkin the dwarf. He described his conversion experience as Christ grabbing him by the ankles and dragging him into the kingdom kicking and screaming. Trumpkin the dwarf had to be tossed in the air a couple of times for him to see sense, but by the time that was done he was so scared he had to believe in lions. Do you think that perhaps all the other characters are allegories of Christians in their different walks with Christ? Like Edmund is an allegory of unsaved man, Eustace the allegory of those who need to be refined, and have their old man scraped off by Christ. Which character is your allegory? Which character would be Tolkiens? Just a thought. I think that perhaps one of mine is Lucy, though I have been Edmund, and I'm still in the process of becoming the New Eustace if you will, but Lucy has always been the one that I've identified with, even when I watched the LWW cartoon at the age of 3 (the year I came to Christ. I really think that cartoon had something to do with it). I love how devoted to Aslan Lucy is, how when others aren't she gets frustrated and doesn't understand, how she's not perfect but she tries her hardest to follow Aslan. How scared she is to follow him, but she does anyway...or tries, but then she does because Aslan says "Either do...or do not" or was that Yoda in Star Wars? I think I should stop now.
Sorry for the long post. I love this series, and I love discussing it and it's Biblical parallels.
Slainte!
Eruliel

Upvote 0

Freakconformist

Continually Humbled
Sep 13, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Visit site
✟8,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Eruliel said:
Sorry for the long post. I love this series, and I love discussing it and it's Biblical parallels.
Slainte!
Eruliel

Lol, because I never post long disretations on the deeper meaning of things. I think Aravis, from The Horse and His Boy, is somebody I can identify with. She's not a bad person, or so she thinks, but she is arrogent enough to run away from her problems and let others take the blame for her mis-deeds. Eventually she has to bear the consiquences of her adventure and humble herself before Aslan.

I wonder if you're right, who was Lewis comparing Susan to? He explained in The Last Battle, rather bitterly I must say, that Susan had chosen to forget about Narnia and follow after her own intrests instead (ie: boys). It seems rather strange to me that Lewis would do this to one of his beloved characters.
Of coarse she could also be another allagory. I wonder how Susan felt about Narnia when she found out that her whole family and some dear friends had died in the same tragic train accident? Lewis made a point to let us know that thier Mother, Father and some other relatives I can't quite remember, were all on the train with Peter and Edmund. He also pointed out that Susan was away at school, so she was the only person in the family to survive that train wreck. Now if that wouldn't turn you to the Lord, what could?

Impressions?

Upvote 0

Freakconformist

Continually Humbled
Sep 13, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Visit site
✟8,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Femto said:
Narnia fan right here.

OT: I've never seen the "angry" emoticon go through it's whole speal. that's so funny! lol!

Glad to see you could join us. What's your favorite part of the Narnia books?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eruliel

Jun 26, 2005
In Christ
Visit site
✟1,065.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Freakconformist said:
Lol, because I never post long disretations on the deeper meaning of things. I think Aravis, from The Horse and His Boy, is somebody I can identify with. She's not a bad person, or so she thinks, but she is arrogent enough to run away from her problems and let others take the blame for her mis-deeds. Eventually she has to bear the consiquences of her adventure and humble herself before Aslan.

I wonder if you're right, who was Lewis comparing Susan to? He explained in The Last Battle, rather bitterly I must say, that Susan had chosen to forget about Narnia and follow after her own intrests instead (ie: boys). It seems rather strange to me that Lewis would do this to one of his beloved characters.
Of coarse she could also be another allagory. I wonder how Susan felt about Narnia when she found out that her whole family and some dear friends had died in the same tragic train accident? Lewis made a point to let us know that thier Mother, Father and some other relatives I can't quite remember, were all on the train with Peter and Edmund. He also pointed out that Susan was away at school, so she was the only person in the family to survive that train wreck. Now if that wouldn't turn you to the Lord, what could?

Impressions?

Aravis is an interesting character. I think that the characters in the HOrse and his boy are the most compatable. I've been Bree a couple of times. I took me awhile to figure out that "Aslan was indeed a lion". Lol. The one character that I love in that book though is Whinn. She's so quiet, and faithful. It's great.
As far as Susan is concerned, was Lewis more concerned with the thorns that choke out truth in the world as opposed to the seed on the road or what not? Something to think about.
I have to go. My cousins are here. YAY!
Slainte!
Eruliel
ps. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy DVD has the sneak peek for LWW. I'm really happy that Weta Digital and Weta Workshop are doing the special effects. It looks fabulous, and if you go to Narnia.com you'll find little models of Tumnus, some of the creatures on the witches side, a centaur, and Aslan (who looks a little funky around the face...kind of smirky...almost like a cat that's got into catnip or something). And if anyone's seen Constantine, the woman who played Gabriel plays Jadis, and Liam Neeson plays the voice of Aslan. I'm really impressed so far.

Upvote 0

Freakconformist

Continually Humbled
Sep 13, 2005
Wisconsin, USA
Visit site
✟8,790.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Eruliel said:
Aravis is an interesting character. I think that the characters in the HOrse and his boy are the most compatable. I've been Bree a couple of times. I took me awhile to figure out that "Aslan was indeed a lion". Lol. The one character that I love in that book though is Whinn. She's so quiet, and faithful. It's great.
As far as Susan is concerned, was Lewis more concerned with the thorns that choke out truth in the world as opposed to the seed on the road or what not? Something to think about.
I have to go. My cousins are here. YAY!
Slainte!
Eruliel

I think you may be right about Susan, I had much the same thought. I tried to think of the the group in comparrison to the parable, but it didn't quite work.
I can see Lucy as the fertile soil, of coarse, because she never doubted for a moment that Narnia was real. Edmund would be the hardedened soil do you think? Because he knew about Narnia too but denied it because of worldly pressures. That leaves the rocky soil and Peter, and I don't quite see it. Peter was pretty stout once he knew what was before him. He never really denied Narnia.
I'm going to pull out LWW one more time before the movie comes out and refresh my memory.

Upvote 0