• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Any Believers struggle with C-PTSD?

Emerald518

Feb 24, 2018
Akron, Ohio
✟32,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I started doing faith based counseling in 2021 and was diagnosed with C-PTSD shortly afterward. Getting this diagnosis was a HUGE blessing, as it allowed me to not only get the help I very badly needed, but it also gave a name to what it was I'd been dealing with for most of my life and showed me that I wasn't beyond fixing. Unfortunately, this is a condition that doesn't get much attention in the mental health world as it should and I believe there are many, many people out there who have it without realizing it. Can anyone else relate?

Tranquil Bondservant

Nothing without Elohim
Oct 11, 2022
Somewhere
✟411.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
When I was about 13-14 I was diagnosed with PTSD though I would have had it at 12 and a half. So it's not C-PTSD though I suppose I would qualify or relate to some of the struggles as while it was the initial event that caused the PTSD it was also multiple things that happened over the course of a decade. God has healed the debilitating anxiety I suffered from after about a decade of living in various states of fight or flight for 12ish years, but I still exhibit behaviours that come from PTSD.

I have no doubt that The Lord helped reveal to you the diagnosis so that you can begin to heal and also grow closer to Him. Speaking from experience; the peace of Jesus Christ is truly transcendent (Philippians 4:7). He will be with you in all of your struggles no matter how bad they are or feel (2 Timothy 2:13). Just relying upon Him brings me peace in a situation that if I was still an Atheist would have caused me immense dread. He's the only one you can truly count on, even though you may not understand the situation you currently find yourself in.

God bless :heart:.

P.S. if you have any questions or have something to say but don't want to share it publicly feel free to shoot me a message. I know some of the side effects of PTSD can be embarrassing and make you feel less than.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,507,478.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have complex PTSD. I was misdiagnosed twice, before getting that diagnosis, so yes I can relate to the idea that many people might not realise that's what they have.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I started doing faith based counseling in 2021 and was diagnosed with C-PTSD shortly afterward. Getting this diagnosis was a HUGE blessing, as it allowed me to not only get the help I very badly needed, but it also gave a name to what it was I'd been dealing with for most of my life and showed me that I wasn't beyond fixing. Unfortunately, this is a condition that doesn't get much attention in the mental health world as it should and I believe there are many, many people out there who have it without realizing it. Can anyone else relate?

Not diagnosed, but probably.

Upvote 0

TheLastGeek

Lovable Mess
May 19, 2023
Dover
✟35,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I almost got a job with this counseling center. Uncanny. Going to read the article now.

Reactions: Emerald518
Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟204,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I probably had it from my father's abuse, with symptoms settling in from about 2010-2022 or so. I have improved immensely with the help of a trauma class, a romantic relationship, and a lot of chess. I still get false impressions that people are trying to attack me emotionally when they are not and that everyone is fighting me when I'm trying to do something, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

Further complicating matters was an actual point trauma in 2016, so I had ordinary trauma on top of complex trauma. It's a miracle that I still have a mind left. Praise the Lord for that. One thing that gets C-PTSD suffers stuck is a lack of a source of meaning, and thankfully, as Christians we have the Bible as a source of meaning. The recovery is possible, if you stay with the Lord and understand how the Bible gives meaning to your life. Look for positive relationships that will stay with you through the complex reactions to life.

The other thing is, recovery from this disease just means getting rid of the negative symptoms that are holding you down in pursuit of the Lord's plans for your life. You won't be able to go back to who you were before this happened - you're going to end up learning a lot about yourself and humanity through the recovery process. But that is okay. The key is not to go backwards, but to go forwards to something better.

Upvote 0