• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anxious about going to church

Orchidaceae

Aug 21, 2013
✟29,487.00
Faith
Christian
Hi everybody!

I'm feeling very anxious about going to a new church tomorrow morning. I want to try to go a protestant church but I have no idea what to expect, I've never been to one. I've never been into religion before this past year or so, and I think going to church may be good for me because I want to know more. I know how Catholic mass is but I don't know how Protestant services are different.
Also, I have social anxiety, and I don't llike being around people and "trapped" in a closed space. But I guess that if I really don't feel good I can always sneak out trying not to be noticed (even though I would feel bad for doing that).
Does anybody have any advice or kind words for me, please?

The-Doctor

Man with a scarf
Nov 12, 2002
England
✟28,282.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was visiting New York recently and wanted to go to a service at the cathedral there but it was catholic and I was not so was not sure how they would take me but I found them to be friendly and inviting and there was not that much difference in the service.
Try it out you might be surprised but if you still feel uncomfortable then try somewhere else...I have been to churches that were at best cold towards me...I didn't go back.

Upvote 0

Orchidaceae

Aug 21, 2013
✟29,487.00
Faith
Christian
I have the same problem. I went to a Protestant church nearby in September and it was so emotionally draining I haven't been again. I have social anxiety and also anxiety of new situations and so the whole service was really, really hard for me.

I went this morning, and that's exactly how I felt. I have nothing bad to say about the church or the pastor, but I was feeling so bad that I don't think I'll ever go again.
I think going to church is not for me. I felt out of place and my anxiety made me feel very sick. At least I tried but it makes me even more depressed than I am already is because I feel like a failure and not normal :sigh:
Also, it made me realize how much I need help with my anxiety and depression, and that I really need to do something about it. I can't stay like that, suffering so much.

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I went this morning, and that's exactly how I felt. I have nothing bad to say about the church or the pastor, but I was feeling so bad that I don't think I'll ever go again.
I think going to church is not for me. I felt out of place and my anxiety made me feel very sick. At least I tried but it makes me even more depressed than I am already is because I feel like a failure and not normal :sigh:
Also, it made me realize how much I need help with my anxiety and depression, and that I really need to do something about it. I can't stay like that, suffering so much.

I think you have some good insight on some problems you are having. Admittedly they are interfering in your life. I'd recommend that you speak to your doctor about the social anxiety, depression, and anything else that is causing your problems. Perhaps he can refer you to a counselor who treats these conditions. Think how good it would feel to be able to live life without these things causing problems for you. I pray the very best for you and yours.

Faithfully,
CH Sacerdote

Upvote 0

J0SHUA

Aug 30, 2013
✟9,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Does anybody have any advice or kind words for me, please?

Yes I have advice for you. Another person posted in this thread saying she had social anxiety as well. You two should overcome it by skyping together as the first step. That is my awkwardness-inducing suggestion. Haha, seriously though that's what I would do. I will pray for you two :)

Upvote 0