• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Anxiety Meds=Not Trusting in God??

C

crystalm

Okay so I need help with some anxiety I've been having. I know God is going to get me through it, but I know the verse Philippians 4:6 says in nothing be anxious but in everything by prayer and petition let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. I'm not sure if taking meds is exactly putting my complete trust in Him. Casting all our anxiety on Him is another one in in 1st or 2nd Peter. I just want to know, is this a good move for me? To go on meds?

G

grizzlyman

I can fully relate as I lived in agony for 40 years with anxiety, depression, panic attacks and a destroyed sense of self and identity. I wish that every person afflicted with these inner struggles to find peace and happiness and a way to control the emotions and behaviors associated with them. For those interested, I have a simple blog up with my experiences and my story, along with a few reviews of products/techniques that have helped me in my quest to find solutions. I sincerely want to spread the word about what helped me because after so many doctors and so many types of medicine I was at the point of believing nothing was ever going to help. I’m happy to share my story and hope it may help others! My blog can be found at :

tonysreviews dot com

Many blessings to all!

Upvote 0

rpea

Jul 13, 2012
✟15,128.00
Faith
Christian
If you had a migraine, what would you do? If you had a stomach ache what would you do? As a Christian, you should go to God first and pray for healing. And then grab the Excedrin, the Pepto. Medicine is not evil. God has given man the wisdom to create substances that help us. We should use them, but wisely. Use them in conjunction with prayer and faith.

Upvote 0

rpea

Jul 13, 2012
✟15,128.00
Faith
Christian
Don't confuse Pepto with mind altering medicine that actually alters your brain chemistry. God gave us knowledge yes, let's use it.

We have to be careful how we talk about medication. For years I suffered with ocd not knowing what I had. And all this time my mom and everyone else kept warning me not to go on medication. "Once they put you on that medication, you'll never be the same" they often said. And so for years, I remained ignorant about the medicines available and the therapy available.

Finally in my junior year of college I went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me, did therapy and put me on Celexa. Thanks be to God I did well on the drug and stayed on it for about 10 years. I'm now on Lexapro, which is similar.

No one should be afraid of medication. Just find the right one for you and take it wisely under a doctor's care. And stop scaring people away, Grizzlyman, from a resource that can help them. These aren't spooky "mind-altering" drugs. They are medicines that correct a malfunction.

Upvote 0
G

grizzlyman

"We have to be careful how we talk about medication. For years I suffered with ocd not knowing what I had. And all this time my mom and everyone else kept warning me not to go on medication. "Once they put you on that medication, you'll never be the same" they often said. And so for years, I remained ignorant about the medicines available and the therapy available."

Medicine is used to treat symptoms, not the source. You mention therapy but had you learned the right techniques to treat the source and help you manage the OCD you wouldn't have needed medicine in the first place.People love to think that a pill will cure the ailment and there is no other way, oh yes there is. Defend med's all you want but you are misguided in thinking so. We do have to be careful how we 'talk' about medication, obviously.

Upvote 0

spiritfilledwoman

I Will Never Go Back!
Oct 17, 2006
Texas
✟8,892.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I developed a panic disorder 2 years ago after a lot of stressful and traumatic events. I have been on anxiety meds for a year and it has saved my life. God wants you well, and if that means taking meds for awhile, it's ok. Go with Peace as God directs.

Upvote 0

jmt1323

Jul 10, 2013
✟15,210.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have also developed some sort of anxiety issue after a traumatic event. I stopped eating and sleeping altogether, and by the grace of God I was able to find medication to help me get those back on track. I still struggle daily with anxiety, but I am seeking God to help me find his way and his will for me in that area of struggle.

I can agree that medication helps re-balance things in the brain that went out of control for a certain amount of time. He will provide a way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SMacGregor

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
✟7,724.00
Faith
Catholic
Pursue your interests and hobbies and join a social club or sports group, or other interest group such as bush-walking, bush-care, music, art, theatre, scrabble, Bridge. Take up walking and offer a smile to others along the way – if you’re feeling lonely yourself it will make you feel better and more connected and it also just may help somebody else. Involve yourself in some voluntary work – thinking about helping others can take the focus off self introversion and self obsessiveness and can help with self esteem. Hope this help.

Regards,
Sandy MacGregor

Upvote 0
May 29, 2012
✟7,760.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Some people are willingly anxious and worry about every little detail on their lives. To those people, I say no medication.

But there are people who have a legitimate underlying condition that causes their anxiety, and those are the ones who need medication.

Will the medication work for the consciously anxious? Yes. Do I agree with their use of it? Not one bit

Upvote 0

J0SHUA

Aug 30, 2013
✟9,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I believe there is nothing wrong with it, should we not eat and wait for God to fill our appetites when we are hungry? Maybe if we didn't have access to food, but in this case with medicine we do, but since the medication is not as problem solving as food to hunger continue to hope and pray to God for help. I see it as us helping ourselves which is what I assume God would want us to do, combined with requests to God. I also believe therapeutic approches are more effective in treating anxiety

Upvote 0

McMatt

Master Debater
May 9, 2013
Canada
✟15,945.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Okay so I need help with some anxiety I've been having. I know God is going to get me through it, but I know the verse Philippians 4:6 says in nothing be anxious but in everything by prayer and petition let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. I'm not sure if taking meds is exactly putting my complete trust in Him. Casting all our anxiety on Him is another one in in 1st or 2nd Peter. I just want to know, is this a good move for me? To go on meds?

Medicine is not unbiblical. Everything comes from a natural resource of some sort, and in the beginning god told us to use the resources. However, for long term use I wouldn't recommend it. It can be hard on your liver if you use it too often/too long. If you have alternative ways of dealing with your problem, try those instead. I know for a fact that cannabis can be more effective (depending on the person), and has a lot less side effects.

Upvote 0

Ludicrus

Aug 25, 2013
✟15,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"We have to be careful how we talk about medication. For years I suffered with ocd not knowing what I had. And all this time my mom and everyone else kept warning me not to go on medication. "Once they put you on that medication, you'll never be the same" they often said. And so for years, I remained ignorant about the medicines available and the therapy available."

Medicine is used to treat symptoms, not the source. You mention therapy but had you learned the right techniques to treat the source and help you manage the OCD you wouldn't have needed medicine in the first place.People love to think that a pill will cure the ailment and there is no other way, oh yes there is. Defend med's all you want but you are misguided in thinking so. We do have to be careful how we 'talk' about medication, obviously.

Well, let's see. I went to check out the Linden Method and the first thing I see is a photo of someone reclining and listening to something. Hmm, well with your almost "instant" cure for severe panic and anxiety is baloney.

Now of course it is possible with subliminal tapes but then you get the whole New Age thing going on and you come under demonic influence that will gladly trade places with others so that they can keep you under their influence and oppression. But hey, if you aren't resisting, those demons will be happy to leave you alone awhile. As long as they get you in the end.

I once saw almost an entire group of people succumb to these "subliminal" new age tapes that were supposed to cure everything from smoking to not getting wealthy enough fast enough.

That is, until I gave them a heads up. The group split over it and those that gave into it didn't want anything else to do with us after it was exposed.

Bottom line, you can spend all of that time reading the site and it won't tell you much of anything, just like a used car salesman. The spiel is great! But you just don't flip a switch and make everything better.

I also remember when a group called Rational Recovery got started as an opponent of Alcoholics Anonymous. They would do anything to prove that they didn't need God!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ludicrus

Aug 25, 2013
✟15,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sometimes, a person becomes so overcome and dysfunctional with anxiety that in order to deal with the issue before God, that is, get honest and deal with what is causing it, some people need meds for a little while. But I would be careful about what kind they are.

Some of them numb you out to the point that you won't deal with what caused it after you start them.

Upvote 0

angelkiss

Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
✟41,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally, know with God all things are possible. However, I also feel that doctors are given knowledge for a reason. We are expected to also help ourselves and I feel that we are expected to do our part. We seek healing, however God works on His time and for His reasons. Some may be healed, some may not. Some may be healed quickly, some it may take years. In my own experience, it has taken years of faith, doctors/medications/therapy and my own coping skills, praying and soul searching to get through. I have learned a lot. To the point in fact, to where therapists were taking notes from me to help other patients. (For the record, that is not a bragging right.) Basically, we all have to work on our own treatment and do what's right for us as individuals. I feel that if medication is what we need, God expects that of us. He supplies us with all our needs.....sometimes, we are supplied in ways that we may not always realize. That's where it is good to keep ourselves in check and ask ourselves, "Am I doing "everything" I can to get through this or make things easier?"

Upvote 0

MisterX

Sep 20, 2013
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There always requires a need for us in seeking wisdom and knowledge about our conditions before actions should be taken. Obviously my first advice is taking all personal troubles before God and asking for His face-to-face relationship in helping us. Genuinely studying scripture, prayer, and in relationship is vital in overcoming any issue in life.

With that being said I think we should study our symptoms and give them time seeking help from the Lord and from family, friends, or doctors, maybe just others who have successfully recovered. The real key is hope and not despair. There IS help, there is always help. Search on Amazon and you will find a variety of books on recovering from anxiety. Working on ones health, fitness, and strengthening body, soul, and spirit is vital in overcoming this disorder...and that's all it is a 'dis-order' and with proper order things will fall into place. Magnesium, B-vitamin complex, removing Gluten foods from diet certainly helps me.

Come before the Lord with these worries and concerns about medications and pray for His guidance. He cares for you even if you seek medications. We all get sick and ill and struggle in life with tragedy and issues. Fortunately help is there. I find that really FOCUSING on something removes panic disorder. Setting goals is vital everyday and actually achieving realistic goals. Constant focus on improvement and slow exposure in difficult situations also helps.

I always keep temporary relief prescription medications handy, though swear I will never use them unless I get really really anxious.

Upvote 0
Oct 14, 2007
✟15,115.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
This is a delicate topic about which I do have some experience and a few learnings. Nineteen years ago I cleaned up my life and Jesus came into my life. Thank-you Lord for your saving grace, for I was not worthy, on my own. I was working still then as a professor at a California University.

But after getting off drugs and doing the Christian twelve steps I still dealt with one big problem. Anxiety.

I was anxious much of the time and it caused much trouble for me physically. I learned over those first few years that anxiety was a real physical illness and that it needed treatment. Anxiety when left untreated can cause serious disease and even death.

At that time my doctor put me on an anti-anxiety med. It helped and I used it for over ten years. I used it every day until about 2005 when I learned that anxiety was many times a fear based condition and that in the spiritual world there was the "spirit of fear". That was a huge eye opener for me and I started studying about it.

About that same time a freind of mine whom I had met in bible college wrote and article in his web based ministry. Thomas' article was called "Break the Bondage of Fear-God's way". i think. We hadn't seen each other for a few years and one weekend I drove to Arizona to see him. Thomas explained to me what He had learned since those early days in bible school. (He had gone on to receive his degree in Theology)

What he said made so much sense. Anxiety isn't a disease or root condition it is a symptom of a deeper problem and that much of the time it caused by fear. The spirit of fear. And that there is a solution in the bible concerning the spirit of fear.

What was recommended was a prayer process called deliverance. Deliverance from the spirit of fear. Boy, was this an eye opener. Fear is almost always caused by a separation from Jesus or God. Deliverance, when done right, restores the correct relationship with Him. All by His power and under His authority. I didn't understand that I wasn't submitting in the ways the Lord asks us to.

Yes, my brothers and sisters, I can testify to the truths of what the Lord has done in my life. He has delivered me from the "spirit of fear" and thus healed me of the anxiety that plagued me for all those years. Thank-you Jesus. I give you all the praise Jeshua! I now am free of those anti-anxiety meds and all the issues that come along with them.

The only thing I am sorry for is not lbeing taught about these principles twenty years ago. But the Lord has his ways and his reasons. I may not have been ready for the peaceful life style I now enjoy.

Search for "Break the Bondage of Fear" by Rev Thomas Holm. You will be thankful for the solid biblical teachings and very possibly for being free of your soul binding anxiety. It is an ebook and is probably on Kindle also. Maybe your pastor has a copy!

God Bless everyone,
Brother Steve
Rumbling Spirit

Upvote 0

Ludicrus

Aug 25, 2013
✟15,659.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a delicate topic about which I do have some experience and a few learnings. Nineteen years ago I cleaned up my life and Jesus came into my life. Thank-you Lord for your saving grace, for I was not worthy, on my own. I was working still then as a professor at a California University.

But after getting off drugs and doing the Christian twelve steps I still dealt with one big problem. Anxiety.

I was anxious much of the time and it caused much trouble for me physically. I learned over those first few years that anxiety was a real physical illness and that it needed treatment. Anxiety when left untreated can cause serious disease and even death.

At that time my doctor put me on an anti-anxiety med. It helped and I used it for over ten years. I used it every day until about 2005 when I learned that anxiety was many times a fear based condition and that in the spiritual world there was the "spirit of fear". That was a huge eye opener for me and I started studying about it.

About that same time a freind of mine whom I had met in bible college wrote and article in his web based ministry. Thomas' article was called "Break the Bondage of Fear-God's way". i think. We hadn't seen each other for a few years and one weekend I drove to Arizona to see him. Thomas explained to me what He had learned since those early days in bible school. (He had gone on to receive his degree in Theology)

What he said made so much sense. Anxiety isn't a disease or root condition it is a symptom of a deeper problem and that much of the time it caused by fear. The spirit of fear. And that there is a solution in the bible concerning the spirit of fear.

What was recommended was a prayer process called deliverance. Deliverance from the spirit of fear. Boy, was this an eye opener. Fear is almost always caused by a separation from Jesus or God. Deliverance, when done right, restores the correct relationship with Him. All by His power and under His authority. I didn't understand that I wasn't submitting in the ways the Lord asks us to.

Yes, my brothers and sisters, I can testify to the truths of what the Lord has done in my life. He has delivered me from the "spirit of fear" and thus healed me of the anxiety that plagued me for all those years. Thank-you Jesus. I give you all the praise Jeshua! I now am free of those anti-anxiety meds and all the issues that come along with them.

The only thing I am sorry for is not lbeing taught about these principles twenty years ago. But the Lord has his ways and his reasons. I may not have been ready for the peaceful life style I now enjoy.

Search for "Break the Bondage of Fear" by Rev Thomas Holm. You will be thankful for the solid biblical teachings and very possibly for being free of your soul binding anxiety. It is an ebook and is probably on Kindle also. Maybe your pastor has a copy!

God Bless everyone,
Brother Steve
Rumbling Spirit

No doubt about it, there is a "spirit of fear" but not all fear is caused by demonic attacks. I think I've dealt with that in another recovery thread recently.

Vitamin Deficiencies can cause physical symptoms that are diagnosed as Mental Illness. Bipolar, and some forms of Schizophrenia, Depression and Anxiety can be treated with vitamins. Demonic attacks cannot.

Years and years ago, at least when I was younger, the church seemed to believe that all mental illnesses were either demonic or real mental problems.

When they came out with white denuded and degerminated, bleached flour and started producing white bread and pasta that was not whole grain, and when they started selling white rice that was denuded, people started going insane because of a niacin deficiency. The mental disorder is called pellagra. That is why, by law, all foodstuffs made with white flour and all white rice have to add niacin to the product.

They aren't required; however, to replace all of the other vitamins that are removed.

It took me over a decade of prayer to work through this stuff as I had one health problem after another from severe malnutrition. I was fat, crippled to the point that I needed a cane to walk with and my joints made so much noise people across the room could hear them crunch and grind. The doctor finally told me I had no cartilage left or very little.

That's from acidosis, which is what happens when people and animals eat partial grains.

Amos 8:4-6 AMP
4 Hear this, O you who would swallow up and trample down the needy, even to make the poor of the land to fail and come to an end,
5 Saying, When will the New Moon festival be past that we may sell grain? And the Sabbath that we may offer wheat for sale, making the ephah [measure] small and the shekel [measure] great and falsifying the scales by deceit,
6 That we may buy [into slavery] the poor for silver and the needy for a pair of sandals; yes, and sell the refuse of the wheat [as if it were good grade]?

Gods says this "refuse of wheat" causes His people, the poor and needy to fail and come to an end.

White bread and white rice are cheaper than whole grain. They sell it to the poor and needy because it is cheaper while they reap the profits of making other products from the rest of the grain that they removed.

And now, after many generations of children are born to mothers who are malnourished, they have trouble digesting whole grains because they don't have all of the amino acids and bacteria in their gutts that they need.

So instead of people writing books about malnourishment and the need to get their internal organs in prime shape by supplementing them with what they need to digest the wheat, they tell them not to eat whole grains!!!!

Why?

Awe, because if enough people figure out that they are being ripped off and they force the FDA to change the laws then there goes all of their profits for their junk food!

My cartilage has been almost completely restored. I no longer walk on a cane. I don't have the extremes of bipolar any more. I lost 50 lbs. without being able to exercise and eating all of the sugar/sweets that I want (no HFCS or other related partial grain sweeteners).

The anxiety is gone and so is the depression and manic episodes.

God heard me literally crying out to Him and He answered me from His Word. I must have gotten that passage about 4 times before I realized that God was speaking to me.

Reactions: Rebecca Sue
Upvote 0