Anti intellectualism directed against science.

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,984.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
Fangs, claws, body hair or fur, brute strength, savagery, fecundity (prey animals), stingers, barbs, quills, speed, camouflage, venom, flight, swarms, raw survival instincts, etc. etc. No need for human intelligence.

Our australopithecine ancestors walked upright and could use their hands to carry sticks for defence and to throw stones. Also, they may have been social animals that relied on strength in numbers. Even now, without fangs, claws, body hair, stingers, barbs, quills, etc., we are among the larger and stronger, and more savage, animals, and we can put up a fight if we are attacked.

• Optimistic
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Our australopithecine ancestors walked upright and could use their hands to carry sticks for defence and to throw stones. Also, they may have been social animals that relied on strength in numbers. Even now, without fangs, claws, body hair, stingers, barbs, quills, etc., we are among the larger and stronger, and more savage, animals, and we can put up a fight if we are attacked.

I imagine a group of 20 or so australopithicenes might
look like easy prey until the hail of stones began.

I learned as a small child that a big mean dog will
turn tail if I stooped to pick up rock that wasn't even there.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I imagine a group of 20 or so australopithicenes might
look like easy prey until the hail of stones began.

I learned as a small child that a big mean dog will
turn tail if I stooped to pick up rock that wasn't even there.

You can befuddle a dog as well by hiding your hands behind your back.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,984.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
I got tired of spelling out Australopithecus on my phone.
Nothing about Oz- or is it?
Anyway I'm not a "meickan".

The name Australopithecus means 'southern ape', because the first fossils were found in South Africa. The only connection with 'Oz-' is that the name 'Australia' means 'southern land'.

Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The science that lies about Gods creation, can follow satan straight to the lake of fire. The science that can build a working bridge or a building, a car, etc.. Things that can be used and that actually exist and work is useful.
All other science that deceives with their millions of etc.. (miles, ages) and that only a select few are privileged to experience. And are so gracious to share their super human accomplishments with poor stupid humanity. Can enjoy their time of deception now, as it will be coming to an end, in time.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The name Australopithecus means 'southern ape', because the first fossils were found in South Africa. The only connection with 'Oz-' is that the name 'Australia' means 'southern land'.

Here I thought they were found in a pit, in Australia, and the scientist that made the discovery 'cussed': "D-mn", looky here what I found." Or that he made a pithy comment about it.

• Haha
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,032.00
Faith
Atheist
The science that lies about Gods creation, can follow satan straight to the lake of fire. The science that can build a working bridge or a building, a car, etc.. Things that can be used and that actually exist and work is useful.
All other science that deceives with their millions of etc.. (miles, ages) and that only a select few are privileged to experience. And are so gracious to share their super human accomplishments with poor stupid humanity. Can enjoy their time of deception now, as it will be coming to an end, in time.
Take your threats elsewhere.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,301.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now that's just creepy.
Your, ah, disturbing scenario regarding possible
results of self examination was a matter
for friendly concern-
for lo, tho' the news i bore may at first dishearten
it is really best for you to face facts and, you know,
face elsewhere.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your, ah, disturbing scenario regarding possible
results of self examination was a matter
for friendly concern-
for lo, tho' the news i bore may at first dishearten
it is really best for you to face facts and, you know,
face elsewhere.

I'm guessing you aren't familiar with 'navel gazing'.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I decided to apply the Nicholas Bourbaki checksheet to measure the degree of anti-intellectualism of a member who has posted in this thread plus his posting history.

sj2.png
Who the heck is Nicolas Bourbaki?
Largely unknown today, Bourbaki is likely the last mathematician to master nearly all aspects of the field. A consummate collaborator, he made fundamental contributions to important mathematical fields such as set theory and functional analysis. He also revolutionized mathematics by emphasizing rigor in place of conjecture.

There’s just one problem: Nicolas Bourbaki never existed…..

In fact Nicholas Bourbaki is a secret society of mathematical super-geniuses who have made contributions to pure mathematics since the 1930s.
These are the sort of people that get under the skin of the rest of us mortals due to their extraordinary talents (a case of casual anti-intellectualism).
https://www.quantamagazine.org/inside-the-secret-math-society-known-as-nicolas-bourbaki-20201109/

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I wonder at what stage pursuit hunting became a primary hominid trait?

I don't think Australopithecus's little legs were great for long distance running... but Homo erectus would have been a terror to anything on four legs.

Upvote 0