Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps this is a little hypocritical coming from an atheist but since this is a Christian forum, I guess this thread could be interpreted as relevent.

The anime that best embodies Christian morality is in my opinion the Clannad series. It highlights the importance of family, and touches on themes such as abstinance and empathy. What is more, there are various instances of the characters praying to God throughout the series. I'd say that the entire series could be viewed as a Christian parabl.

Any other anime with a theme of Christian morality?

The Conductor

Χριστῷ συνεσταύρωμαι
Mar 27, 2013
Canada
Visit site
✟8,221.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know about morality. Doctrine, though... I found that Watamote is a good illustration of what the condition of mankind must look like to God. The anime starts off by telling you that the story doesn't matter... and it doesn't. Only when Tomoko realizes this and lets go of the law as her hope (in this case, the law of popularity) do we even get a remote impression that she could actually improve. The only time anything good happens to her is when another person has mercy on her, regardless of her failure. It's sort of like a study in repentance.

Upvote 0

Kurama

Believe in Humanity
Mar 25, 2013
✟17,730.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've actually watched Clannad and Clannad Afterstory. It's a really good anime and I have to agree with you on that one. :D

Thank you. A lot threads in this sub-forum are dedicated to finding Christian anime. I think, in accordance to JRR Tolkien's criticism of the use of imagery and parables representative of Christianity in media (i.e. the Narnia series, written by Tolkien's friend CS Lewis), Christian values should be inferred from media rather than advertised.

Hence I've never found an anime which reflects the Christian virtue of family as gracefully as the Clannad and After Story series. That being said, family values are considered sacred by East Asian peoples (i.e. Chinese, Japanese and Korean families). I sure can relate :)

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Clannad was really nice. It really helped in restoring my sense of innocence after being unexpectedly traumatized by School Days. (Hint: School Days is the exact opposite of what you would want to see if you are looking for an anime depicting some sense of Christian virtue ... or any kind of virtue, really. DO NOT WATCH.)

Pictured below: The perfect girlfriend

Upvote 0

MJ Bond

Apr 19, 2012
✟18,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I had to laugh when I saw the reference to School Days, as I possess the HQ version of the game it was based on. I much prefer the good endings that stay more true to a somewhat faithful outcome, as opposed to the bad endings. But to add to the thread, I'm surprised no one mentioned Trigun. The main character Vash is a very positive, inspirational character and many of his quotes helped me at a time in my life when I was feeling very down about things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums