Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
EliasEmmanuel said:
You're right..... I always get the greek and roman names mixed up :p
The thing I think is confusing is that while the planets themselves have mostly Roman names, I believe the names of moons are mostly taken from Greek mythology. The only exception I can think of right now is Earth's moon, since it's actually supposed to be called Luna (and for that matter, Earth could just as easily be called Terra-which it is called quite often in sci-fi), and AFAIK, Luna's the Roman name.

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
Nightstrike said:
Umm no, those are elementals, there are more than one type of magic.
I should clarify..... in their original mythological/folkloric frameworks, gnomes/mermaids/salamanders weren't considered elementals. Some more modern magic systems treat them that way (basically treating them as metaphorical symbols for elementals or somesuch), but old european cultures just considered gnomes, for instance, little men who lived underground and wore red hats.

Whereas now they live on lawns and turn to stone during the day ;-)

Upvote 0

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
EliasEmmanuel said:
I should clarify..... in their original mythological/folkloric frameworks, gnomes/mermaids/salamanders weren't considered elementals. Some more modern magic systems treat them that way (basically treating them as metaphorical symbols for elementals or somesuch), but old european cultures just considered gnomes, for instance, little men who lived underground and wore red hats.

Don't forget they also travel around the country and speak with an accent. :D

Upvote 0

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
ThAt duDe 014 said:
You shouldn't be ashamed over the fact that you are attracted to it, its just human nature...

But its your decision if you want to give in to these temptations and view it, or to hold it back.
As Luthor said, "I can't stop the birds from flying over my head, but I can stop them from building a nest in my hair".

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
EliasEmmanuel said:

I think it's because of stuff like Secret of Mana.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EliasEmmanuel

Gomi No Sensei
Apr 20, 2002
Camdenton, Missouri
Visit site
✟16,287.00
Faith
Protestant
missiondocsda said:
I came to CF after 6/6/04. Something I don't like about the discussion is, the original topic is gone after few information exchange. Then it's much to do with emotional exchange.
Sadly that's the nature of internet forums in general....

pls By the way, why "teacher of rubbish"?
heh... it's from a short story. One of the characters is a sculptor who makes things out of garbage and scrap, calls himself Gomi no Sensei, which the story translated as "Master of junk/garbage". Given some of my artistic endeavors and hobbies I thought it fit nicely. :)

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
EliasEmmanuel said:
How so.... nyo?

(sorry, LOL... just put 2 and 2 together with your icon :D )
Because in secret of Mana you can collect those things to use magic.

Besides these four,
Salamander = Fire
Sylph = Wind
Gnome = Earth
Undine (looks like a mermaid) = Water

they also have stuff like
Dryad = Forest
Wisp = Light
etc.

BTW, looks like those elemental stuff was from some guy called Paracelsus

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apollonian

Anachronistic Philosopher
Dec 25, 2003
US
✟8,398.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
*jumps in*

It is my understanding that the ancient Greeks and to a lesser extend the medievil Europeans believed that there were four basic elements which accounted for the natural forces: earth, fire, wind, and water. There was the idea of a "fifth element" which was a unifying element embodying the other four. Sometimes referred to as the element of 'heaven' or the "quintessence". This is where we get the word "quintessential".

In today's world, the natural elements have been debunked by modern science, but now Psychology is looking back into the history of ideas and finding some correlations. David Keirsey, among others, has pointed out correlations between the four basic psychological temperaments and many early natural philosophies. Water, wind, fire, and earth then correspond respectively to "The idealists, healers, and activists" "The rational minds, engineers, and inventors" "The artisans, performers, and skilled athletes" and "The guardians, traditionalists, and book keepers"

For more information on David Keirsey's psychology - www.keirsey.com

I think that much of the entertainment (in the US) dealing with these elements has far more to do with these characteristics than any thought regarding the original occult philosophies. Japan, however, might have some different notions, given the compatible natural philosophies of Shinto which still survive today.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I personally don't see how someone could get turned on by "anime inappropriate content". But then again, I guess anything's possible. Um, what does your conscience say? If you're feeling guilty about it then you either need to overcome the guilt or quit watching. Otherwise, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's definitely not my thing but hey, I'm not you. ;)

Upvote 0

call-me-dan

stumbling-toward-light
Feb 19, 2004
West Palm Florida
✟7,886.00
Faith
Christian
Yatty said:
Is it okay to watch this? Is it okay to get turned on by this?

I'm finding it hard, I get turned on by it, but I am ashamed of myself for doing so.

Discuss!

i find no need to discus this, but the forum does have a symbol thast sums up my feelins toward the thing in question:

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0