• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Animals, Thought, the Soul And LCMS

Discussion in 'Theologia Crucis - Lutherans' started by Hope1960, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Hope1960

Hope1960 Well-Known Member

+135
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Crows Are Capable of Conscious Thought, Scientists Demonstrate For The First Time

Many people insist that it goes against Christianity to say that animals can think, much less that they have have souls. Well, besides apes, crows have been found to have conscious thought. Does this fact go against LCMS teaching or is it ok to believe as a Lutheran LCMS that some animals have conscious thought and therefore may have souls that go to heaven?
    I think that Catholicism which is my previous background, would deny this.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Brightmoon

Brightmoon Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.

+4,665
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    Whales also , in fact whales call each other by name! Personally I have no trouble believing that animals think or that they have souls.

3. Hope1960

+135
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    I’d don’t either, but I do want to know the LCMS take on it.

4. Brightmoon

Brightmoon Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.

+4,665
    United States
    Episcopalian
    Single
    US-Others
    My bad I just realized I was in the wrong forum

5. Hope1960

+135
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    That’s ok. :)

6. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+4,413
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Curious, what is the LCMS position on Ecclesiastes 3:19-21?

7. Hope1960

+135
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    I don’t know.

8. Michael Collum

+4,413
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Might be a good question to ask.

9. Hope1960

+135
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    You just did.

10. Michael Collum

+4,413
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I meant, since you're Lutheran, you can ask if you want to know.

Just food for thought.

11. Hope1960

+135
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married

12. Hope1960

+135
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Id prefer to deal with one question at a time.

13. Hope1960

+135
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    I’d prefer to deal with one question at a time.

14. Michael Collum

+4,413
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    I was under the impression the passage I posted originally was related to this subject matter. However perhaps I was mistaken. My bad.

15. Nigel Malka

Nigel Malka New Member

+30
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Are there animals in heaven - I would say yes, God created them and must like them so he would have them around. Do there have souls? well first you would have to define what is a soul, for me it is in having a relationship with Our Heavenly Father and as we know dogs can have a relationship with man then why not the same thing with God. Now we get on to the real issue, can an animal (not human) have a conscious thought to decide to believe in God and then to know and keep to his ways and for that I would think the answer is no.

16. Hope1960

+135
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Anyone else?

17. Daniel9v9

Daniel9v9

+994
    Japan
    Lutheran
    Married
    Well, simply speaking, humans and animals are created uniquely from one another. Humans are made in the image and likeness of God, whereas animals are not. We share many properties - intelligence and instinct are some of what we share - and animals can certainly be very intelligent, but they have no real understanding of sin and righteousness.

Will we see our pets in heaven? The Bible doesn't answer this question in any explicit way, but we can take comfort in that God will restore all things and make all things new, and it will be perfect, uncorrupt, and very good.

18. Nigel Malka

Nigel Malka New Member

+30
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married

I hope you are right but looking at what God does I have a feeling it will not all be as perfect as we think perfect should be, but it will be very good.

19. Daniel9v9

Daniel9v9

+994
    Japan
    Lutheran
    Married
    Well, Scriptures describe the new creation as a world without sin, death, and pain, and a place where we get to share in God’s glory that Christ won for us. I can’t think of anything more perfect.

20. Nigel Malka

Nigel Malka New Member

+30
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    Well I hope you are right but I just have a feeling that we will not be doing nothing and if therefore we are doing something we will be challenged since life is a challenge. If given a challenge then we have the option of doing things well or failing, even some of his angles failed and they must have know God first hand. I just can't see me or anyone living forever in heaven being happy doing nothing. But Hey Ho I will find out soon enough for God is Good.