Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, lizards are surprisingly adorable. Frogs too. Living in Florida, I get to see a lot of them scurrying around all year. I especially like Geckos because of their squishy feet and how they waddle - I rarely see them though :(

Gecko.jpg

He's cute :D

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Dash sounds like a strong critter. What have you been feeding him? ----just joking. Sometimes the small animals and fish are very strong; consider the ants who reportedly can carry things much heavier than them.

He's a big guy. He's like a bulldozer with those rocks hahaaa

Upvote 0

quidam65

Mar 19, 2018
DFW
✟11,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I love all animals that are not bound to kill me, for they are made by God and He enjoys all of His creation (thankfully all mankind). It is interesting to me that some animals make a contribution to man (probably most of them in some manner), and some actually serve man such as horses, oxen, dogs, etc. who like man. Others are predators or otherwise afraid of man. I don't like people to abuse animals of any kind, for they are just being natural and not bad, as people are at times ---often their mean spirit is because they are afraid.

My wife and I have had cats and dogs over the years, and my favorite was German Shepherds, and we had four of them over the years. Well, I don't know how much I can contribute here, but I would like to hear from ones who have some interesting interaction with animals.
- 1watchman

My cat takes the cake.

He is a full-blood Persian named Puff Daddy (yes that IS his real name).

One night I had a nosebleed that wouldn't stop. My friend who lives with me called 911 and after ending up with a 190/120 blood pressure reading, in the ambulance I went to the ER. While she's getting ready to meet me there, Puff folds his little paws in prayer.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
My cat takes the cake.

He is a full-blood Persian named Puff Daddy (yes that IS his real name).

One night I had a nosebleed that wouldn't stop. My friend who lives with me called 911 and after ending up with a 190/120 blood pressure reading, in the ambulance I went to the ER. While she's getting ready to meet me there, Puff folds his little paws in prayer.

Awesome!!!! And hey, gotta love the name, mon.

What a blessing he is.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have an aversion to poisonous critters for some reason, and I think the only reason God made them is part of the condemnation on the snake in Genesis who deceived Adam and Eve (I also condemn snakes). I really think the whole logic is that snakes represent the fall of man into a lower estate as condemned. Some snakes are not poisonous, and do help control of masses of mice and such. Do others have thoughts on the reason for poison in some animal life ---from a biblical viewpoint?

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe snakes in general are viewed in the Bible as types of sin (as was the serpent in the Garden at Eden); and as we see in Numbers 21: 8-9 one was made of brass and raised on a pole ---type of Jesus, the Christ now, to provide life where death reigned. Our Lord Jesus was nailed to the Cross for mankind ---IF man will receive Him and trust Him (note the full picture at John 3:12-18).

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A paper here I came across and seems noteworthy:

GOD'S ANIMAL SERVANTS
Thoughts By R. DeWitt, 1/07
All creation is made for God's pleasure (note Rev.4:11), and He is pleased to share it with man whom He created in His own image, and to whom He entrusted the care of His creation (Gen.1:26). Man should not therefore pollute the earth and abuse animals.

It is an interesting phenomena that certain animals are comfortable around human beings, while others keep their distance. Some can be trained to serve man, and some seem to quite easily prefer man. Those who study animals can likely explain this better, but the thought here is to reflect on some faithful characteristics and how God has provided certain animals to be of service, such as oxen, horses, dogs (see Num.22:25-33).

We all like to read of heroic dogs and their faithfulness, and their nature in particular is the thought in this paper. We are told that all breeds of dogs descend from the wolf, and by the breeding process dogs have accepted man as the "top dog", provider, and leader of their pack. That species of animal is pack-oriented, so looks to find a strong leader that can meet their needs.

People can become much attached to these creatures, and some go to the extreme of trying to humanize their dogs, spend great sums of money on them, and even attribute an eternal soul to them (see contrary view in Psa.49:12; Eccl. 3:21). This over-appreciation of the animals is praising the gift more than the giver, who is God.

Dogs have a place of nearness to man and a certain loyalty, which is something of our consideration here. There are lessons to be learned from animals about loyalty, devotion, sacrifice. Some are easily bred to be creatures of service and there are many accounts of noble service that are amazing to hear. We are learning more about the nature of dogs even today, who have recently been found to have remarkable sensory abilities to know when a person is ill, even before that one knows.

In faithful devotion to God, and with desire to serve Him, we might consider the lowly animals who accept their station in life, and look to their masters ---not to speak of Sheep here as being like us as in the Bible. They have gifts of service which they will use without rewards. Their loyalty, devotion and sacrifice is real, though they perform even better with rewards. Dogs are known to risk their lives to guard and serve man. They are not vain and deceitful. They might teach us some things---hopefully to appreciate our eternal Master and all His gifts for us.

Some of the characteristics of dogs are noted here for consideration:
They can be very loyal and devoted to owners; They can be dangerous when treated badly by strangers;They like man for his benefits; They are intelligent, very perceptive, and can be trained for many things; They are bred to be specialized for certain kinds of work; They enjoy playing with their owners; They will bark to give warnings, and will guard their family and home; They are described in the Bible, not as pets, and are found useful among men; They have dirty habits and nature, and like to roll in smelly things; They are scavengers and greedy, even when well fed; They reportedly view the human family as their dog pack;
They have no eternal soul as man.

In all this, one might gain some appreciation of God's expectations for our "reasonable service" (see Rom.12:1; also note God's instructions to Adam about care for the earth). It is much appreciated by our Lord. Our care in this life is not by animals or features of nature, but by our Creator-God who can call upon angels and every resource to meet our needs. We are not as animals and in the Bible we are made in the "image of God", but "Doth not even nature itself teach you" (1 Cor.11:14). Worship, devotion, and honor to God will truly keep us through every trial, and we surely ought to thank Him for all His care and wondrous creation
(note John 14). - RLD

Upvote 0

No Swansong

Formerly Jtbdad Christian on every board!
Apr 14, 2004
Ohio
✟28,633.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
As to my thought above, I forgot elephants (and probably others) who can be trained --the Indian elephants, if gotten while young, and they serve faithfully if cared for and not abused (never abuse an elephant or else...), for they say they never forget an abuser.

I have never appreciated such dangerous things as rattle snakes and cobras, etc. for though they kill mice and other things, they also kill people. There are snakes that kill small rodents who otherwise would overrun the earth, but do they have to be poisonous to do that? I believe the poisonous snakes and other like (bad) reptiles are the result of the malady of sin that befell mankind, so that is the scourge we have?? Have you thought about this?
Your thoughts on poisonous snakes are interesting and have never thought about the reason they are poisonous. I and my family have had cats, dogs, hamsters fish etc. Love the furbabies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jrbauco21

Aug 9, 2018
South Carolina
✟24,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Single
As to my thought above, I forgot elephants (and probably others) who can be trained --the Indian elephants, if gotten while young, and they serve faithfully if cared for and not abused (never abuse an elephant or else...), for they say they never forget an abuser.

I have never appreciated such dangerous things as rattle snakes and cobras, etc. for though they kill mice and other things, they also kill people. There are snakes that kill small rodents who otherwise would overrun the earth, but do they have to be poisonous to do that? I believe the poisonous snakes and other like (bad) reptiles are the result of the malady of sin that befell mankind, so that is the scourge we have?? Have you thought about this?
Poisonous animals are dangerous absolutely! But I think they are also blessings in disguise. Poison dart frogs, jellyfish, venomous snakes, and scorpions are all used to help make medicine, a lot of their poison can actually be used as pain-killers! Kind of ironic right? Though I would never come near these animals, I respect them and are grateful for them.

Upvote 0

Godcrazy

Sep 20, 2018
Cheshire
✟9,353.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I love animals! I have a cat a holy birman she is white and blue eyes, brown on her face and tail and ears and white socks. She has brown on her legs too. That's called chocolate point. She behaves just like a kitten so playful. She sleeps in the bed, follows me everywhere, does alot of funny things. She meows like a baby Very vocal.
I love horses and birds which I've had. I ponder to get a horse or maybe part time. Or maybe just start riding again as I have. Birds are very funny. They get so angry when you tease them. At my work we have two parrots. They are not afraid of me. One is all yellow, the other white.

Upvote 0

Godcrazy

Sep 20, 2018
Cheshire
✟9,353.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I've just changed job to a better one in my old job we took the clients to the animal park, lots of different the zebras are nice, and the monkeys funny one jumped up on a car at the top back and ride along lol the bambis were so cute. Completely adorable

Upvote 0

Jon Osterman

Jan 23, 2018
Glasgow
✟59,048.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While I like all animals, I have always found the idea of keeping pets uncomfortable. It is just too close to slavery. An animal can't consent to your "ownership" of them. This is usually countered by the pet owner saying that their pet is happy and well treated. However, I am sure there were well-treated slaves in the southern US a couple of hundred years ago, and I wouldn't regard their existence as a justification of slavery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

brinny

Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
While I like all animals, I have always found the idea of keeping pets uncomfortable. It is just too close to slavery. An animal can't consent to your "ownership" of them. This is usually countered by the pet owner saying that their pet is happy and well treated. However, I am sure there were well-treated slaves in the southern US a couple of hundred years ago, and I wouldn't regard their existence as a justification of slavery.

There's the alternative of course of going fishing for instance, and killing fish to eat them.

That's what Jesus did.

Was He unjust and/or did He sin by doing either?

Upvote 0

sunshine100

Love God Love people
Site Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Florida
✟121,493.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love all animals as well,I sure have had a lot of animals in my life,I have an 11 year old dog and a 20 something bird,but sadly my dog that I have now will be the last dog that I will have in a long time,and she won't have a very long time to live.

Upvote 0

Janice Orbi

Oct 12, 2018
Kingman
✟10,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

Oh that is so sad, you would enjoin a pet.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Animals are provided by God, I believe, for our good ---whether as a pet and companion, or for special work (like bloodhounds and police dogs, etc.). God's creatures should not be destroyed, though we need to learn to live around them and must keep them in their proper environment (some in the jungles where they can do their created thing, and keep a balance of other creatures). God told Adam to care for them. I just see some animals as helpers to man and comforters, and usually taken care of by appreciative people. God has make a most wonderful world in every way.

In recent years science has found very unusual creatures very deep in the ocean, and I believe they are all made by God for His good pleasure, and our wonderment. It makes me appreciate my God more to see His love for life forms ---even like me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kosher Salt

Dec 2, 2018
Taylorsville
✟9,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I love all animals that are not bound to kill me, for they are made by God and He enjoys all of His creation (thankfully all mankind). It is interesting to me that some animals make a contribution to man (probably most of them in some manner), and some actually serve man such as horses, oxen, dogs, etc. who like man. Others are predators or otherwise afraid of man. I don't like people to abuse animals of any kind, for they are just being natural and not bad, as people are at times ---often their mean spirit is because they are afraid.

My wife and I have had cats and dogs over the years, and my favorite was German Shepherds, and we had four of them over the years. Well, I don't know how much I can contribute here, but I would like to hear from ones who have some interesting interaction with animals.
- 1watchman
me too,,, my favorites are Pitt Bulls, the most misunderstood breed.

Upvote 0