Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
I realize this is probably one of those "ask your priest" situations, but I need to rant. I really struggle with something, specifically anger. Not anger as in having a bad temper, but anger as in impatience and condescension towards people I view as intellectually inferior to myself(I suppose that's more pride? Idk). It even regularly happens right on these very forums. I get into an argument and then I'm just like "you're so stupid", even if I don't say it to the person outright. I realize it's probably sinful, but I just don't know what to do about it. Feelings of misanthropy and even outright Nihilism are rather regular for me due to plenty of trauma and PTSD.

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I realize this is probably one of those "ask your priest" situations, but I need to rant. I really struggle with something, specifically anger. Not anger as in having a bad temper, but anger as in impatience and condescension towards people I view as intellectually inferior to myself(I suppose that's more pride? Idk). It even regularly happens right on these very forums. I get into an argument and then I'm just like "you're so stupid", even if I don't say it to the person outright. I realize it's probably sinful, but I just don't know what to do about it. Feelings of misanthropy and even outright Nihilism are rather regular for me due to plenty of trauma and PTSD.

You're not alone, I often feel the same way.
:(

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Well if its any consolation I often have similar feelings, but they are often triggered when driving on the freeway or about town.

By the way, I love the new avatar!

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Well if its any consolation I often have similar feelings, but they are often triggered when driving on the freeway or about town.

By the way, I love the new avatar!

Yep! I found it and just knew I had to use it. I love traditional Japanese art so Jesus done in the same style? Oh yes!

Upvote 0

The_wanderer 40

Feb 25, 2019
Texas
✟50,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have also struggled with anger. I used to be seething with anger most of the time but then I became a believer. That was when I realized that Jesus is the answer to all that I was angry about. In spite of that change, I still struggled with a certain level of anger until a few years ago. Most of it was directed towards people doing stupid things while driving. I prayed that God would soften my heart towards others and help me see them as He does. That has made a huge difference and I now have a much more loving attitude towards others.

• Agree
Reactions: ilovejcsog
Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single

Also, remember its lent so it may not be coincidental if Satan tries you on pride.
Pride is the stupidest thing really, seeing how we're all made of dust and have nothing to be proud about.

Upvote 0

MariaJLM

Crazy Cat Lady
Aug 1, 2018
Calgary
✟50,815.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
CA-Others
Also, remember its lent so it may not be coincidental if Satan tries you on pride.
Pride is the stupidest thing really, seeing how we're all made of dust and have nothing to be proud about.

This isn't exclusively a Lenten struggle for me, though. It's a constant thing no matter how much I confess it and stuff.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ditto for me. It's not "probably sinful;" it is sinful and we need to seriously heed the warnings in Scripture which are given for a reason from Matt 5:
22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

I am a Christian mutt. You can call me Rox
Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
This isn't the best time to say that I am glad that I am not the only one who has this problem. Pretty exact. Pretty constant thoughts of condemnation. A healing for all of us would be wonderful.
I hadn't thought of it as a pride thing but I think the poster is right.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Prayers for you.

So many of these things we all struggle with - I've found help in various spiritual counsels and such. I'm not offhand remembering exactly which parts are in which books, but reading them and rereading offer us a kind of way to learn to think about such things so that we can cooperate with God's grace and be changed. What you describe is not so far different from some of my own struggles, and such things as (1) being aware of my OWN shortcomings of similar kinds (2) learning to make the kinds of excuses/reasons we often apply to ourselves to other people, while being strict in how we look at our own shortcomings and (3) thinking about that person in the same way I think of people I love very much - like considering what they mean to their own parents or others who love them. I'm not sure if that process would help someone else or not, but those kinds of things were helpful to me. I did have to be very intentional and habitual about it and not allow myself to think in ways contrary to whatever I'm trying to cultivate.

Forgive me, I'm not trying to advise. Just mentioning that the wisdom of our Saints and Elders has been tremendously helpful to me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
>>>afflicted with 40 mg/day prednisone induced "roid" rage since the last Saturday, and undoubtedly not the best person to be helping anyone through struggles with anger at this point. I just got a whole, somewhat old thread over in general theology permanently closed down today, without even trying to be the slightest bit mean, rather, but merely being truthful. Sometimes truth can cause harm, I suppose, and at such times may best be kept to oneself until such a time when the other is able to benefit from it, rather than be harmed by it.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I did the same thing the other day. I didn't know they shut them down in that case? I just assumed I was the only one that knew I was angry. I said I wasn't coming back if I couldn't control myself and here I am.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I did the same thing the other day. I didn't know they shut them down in that case? I just assumed I was the only one that knew I was angry. I said I wasn't coming back if I couldn't control myself and here I am.
Sometimes a thread gets created that is begging for trouble by the very nature of its content, and perhaps should be shut down for that reason alone. I'm not sorry that it's closed to further posts. I'm glad.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I agree, I don't know if they shut the one I got upset about but I never saw it again. Still, what is frustrating for one isn't for another. I seemed to be the only one objecting in that case, lol.
I wonder if this might be a solution for us angry people?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I agree, I don't know if they shut the one I got upset about but I never saw it again. Still, what is frustrating for one isn't for another. I seemed to be the only one objecting in that case, lol.
I wonder if this might be a solution for us angry people?
It's perhaps a good solution if we have an ax to grind and are doing so through continued, emotionally charged arguments in a public forum that tries to represent Christianity in a positive light.

Upvote 0

ilovejcsog

Jul 23, 2018
Phoenix
✟21,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I am feeling "shame on myself" thinking and talking about it So it is good for me as I probably won't soon forget my bad actions and remembering the conversations here. Thanks everyone and God bless you all and forgive yourselves.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I feel your struggle, that happens to me most of the time I hang out in General Theology (General Heresies as you call them), either it is with Conservative Protestants, Liberal Protestants, Calvinists, Monergists who say I believe in work-based salvation, and in other sections like the Political one or the Apologetics one with rude atheists.
:sigh:

Upvote 0

Zeri

Mar 10, 2019
Varna
✟2,198.00
Country
Bulgaria
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

If you are celibate you must fast nonstop all your life. Fasting will calm you down.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I feel your struggle, that happens to me most of the time I hang out in General Theology (General Heresies as you call them), either it is with Conservative Protestants, Liberal Protestants, Calvinists, Monergists who say I believe in work-based salvation, and in other sections like the Political one or the Apologetics one with rude atheists.
:sigh:

yeah, I avoid both of those like it's going out of style. once in the political subforum I made the mistake of saying President Obama was not the Biblical Antichrist...yeah....

Upvote 0