Jul 13, 2010
✟43,516.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Diocese of Jefferson City says it has not located the priest involved and does not plan to search for him.
“Out of respect for the privacy of any priest who may have been involved and does not wish to come forward, the Diocese does not plan to further investigate this incident. The Diocese is grateful that a priest was able to exercise his ministry in this manner and requests prayers for healing of the victim, as well as prayers of thanks.” Deacon Dan Joyce said

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Where dd you read that?

I live in the dioceses and last I heard is that it was not one of our Priests.

Further I just did a google search on it and nothing came up

I am keeping my source confidential as the priest does not wish his identity known. If the Catholic Administrator here at CF, David, wants to know the source and will keep it confidential, then I will release it to him by email only.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Intense, as we were just discussing the issue Sunday when it came to the subject of identity - and for me, the concept of it being either an angel or a man was inconsequential to the fact that the Lord sent someone to help and do the miraculous.

Upvote 0

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
UPDATE:

The Catholic Diocese has now verified the information:
Mystery Priest Who Showed Up at a Crash Scene Then Vanished Has Been Identified — and Here’s the Unlikely Way He Came Forward | TheBlaze.com

I am copying the comments made by Father Dowling at the NC Register:

Posted by Fr. Patrick Dowling on Friday, Aug 9, 2013 8:20 PM (EDT):

I had Mass in Ewing MO as the regular priest was sick. As I was returning, I arrived at the scene. The authorities were redirecting traffic. I waited till it was possible to drive up closer. I parked behind a large vehicle about 150 yards from the scene. I asked the Sheriff’s permission and approached the scene of the accident. I absolved and anointed Katie, and, at her request, prayed that her leg would not hurt. Then I stepped aside to where some rescue personnel and the pilot were waiting, and prayed the rosary silently. I left when the helicopter was about to take off, and before I got to my car it was on its way to Quincy. I was amazed at the calmness of the two Highway patrol men. The sergeant was completely in control, amazingly calm. Everybody worked as harmoniously as a Swiss watch despite the critical nature of the scene. I gave my name to one of the authorities, perhaps to the sergeant of Highway Patrol, explaining that I was returning having celebrated Mass at Ewing. It was the sergeant who, at the Sheriff’s request, gave me Katie’s name as I was leaving, so I could visit her in hospital—I assumed she would be taken to Columbia. I think there may have been angels there too and, in this context, I congratulate the fire team from New London and Hannibal, the Sheriff/deputies of Ralls County, the Highway Patrol personnel, the helicopter team, the nurses and all who worked so professionally. God has blessed your work. I hope the credit goes where it is due.

Read more: Mysterious Priest Showed Up to Pray With Missouri Crash Victim | Daily News | NCRegister.com

Posted by Fr. Patrick Dowling on Sunday, Aug 11, 2013 6:45 AM (EDT):

URGENT URGENT URGENT
Folks, I would like to WITHDRAW, if that is possible, my comment of Friday last on this comment blog regarding the “mysterious priest.” It would be greatly appreciated both by myself and probably the family of the victim.

Read more: Mysterious Priest Showed Up to Pray With Missouri Crash Victim | Daily News | NCRegister.com

I had hoped that no one else had seen these comments, and that this priest would not be proclaimed a saint prematurely and then hounded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ioannis

I'm home!
Dec 31, 2005
United States
✟16,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No matter what, this is still an amazing thing that happened. God will use whomever He wills. Was it a miracle? God knows. I don't worry about it. It may have been. It also may have been a series of coincidences. I'm not worried about it. I still think it's an amazing series of events.

As for God using someone dressed as a Catholic priest (a hypothetical situation where an angel or saint would be used), that would not be surprising. A Catholic priest would be more recognizable in the U.S. More than a priest in a cassock.

Either way, Glory to God and bravo to the responders, to this priest, and to the doctors. God be with the young lady.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is why we shoudn't jump the "Its a miracle!" bandwagon. I still have a problem with the idea that God would allow a miraculous appearance of a Roman Catholic priest or saint as a manifestation of His grace. That doesn't sit well with me. We know the Father desires not the death of a sinner, but that all come to the knowledge of the Truth and be saved. Allowing the appearance of a RC priest or saint would confirm in the minds of many people the veracity of the claims of the RC Church. I know we desire to see and have confirmation of miracles, but we must be careful not to allow that desire to cloud our minds from seeing the truth. God does not cause division, nor does He send vague, mysterious (as in a riddle or a puzzle) manifestations that cause people to be confused and misled.

Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
This is why we shoudn't jump the "Its a miracle!" bandwagon. I still have a problem with the idea that God would allow a miraculous appearance of a Roman Catholic priest or saint as a manifestation of His grace. That doesn't sit well with me. We know the Father desires not the death of a sinner, but that all come to the knowledge of the Truth and be saved. Allowing the appearance of a RC priest or saint would confirm in the minds of many people the veracity of the claims of the RC Church. I know we desire to see and have confirmation of miracles, but we must be careful not to allow that desire to cloud our minds from seeing the truth. God does not cause division, nor does He send vague, mysterious (as in a riddle or a puzzle) manifestations that cause people to be confused and misled.

Hi Greg,

This was my post about it on Facebook, in reply to an Orthodox enquirer who didn't know what to think about the occurrence:

Luba, I believe the wisest attitude to take is one of skepticism. Maybe not skepticism that God did indeed intervene, but at lease skepticism of the story that was written in a way to lead you to think a certain way.

If God did send an Angel or Saint, then remember that eyewitnesses do not tend to remember things as they happened, but as they interpreted the happenings. It is not unheard of for one person's testimony to cause others to "remember" things that really never happened, as well. If it was an ordinary priest, parked far away, then more time may have passed than the people remember to have passed.

So sure, it's a compelling story, but it may very well be an embellished story. And if it is a miracle, then Glory to God. It still doesn't mean that those with clouded eyes saw things as they truly happened.
I think my thoughts above addresses your concern as well. If this were a miracle, and a Saint or Angel had been sent to save this woman's life, those who reported the story could still have had eyes just as clouded. I am sure though that the woman who was saved would have treasured the miracle, and likely become Orthodox over time... And that wouldn't have been as widely reported. That still leaves us with knowing nothing of the event but the hearsay of people who interpreted the events in their own way.

Upvote 0