Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi Pamelav. Good to meet you.
I have heard that too.
And I don't believe it.

Is anyone among you sick?
Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him,
anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord...

He is able to let us know when He means sinning
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and
to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.10If we say that we have not sinned,
we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

So it really says that if you're sick, God will raise you up, AND "IF" you have any
sin, He'll forgive you.
Not sure if the "and" is in the greek, but if so, then it makes it even clearer.
Thanks for the post!
OK, so my inner contrarian wants to point out the only exception to "every" in scripture might arguably be 'blaspheming the Holy Spirit... I'm just spitballin' here, guessing the context for these statements is the New Testament in its entirety.
So anyway, it would be a positive life changing experience for me to witness a healing miracle I couldn't mistake for anything else, but then I consider healing itself miraculous, so if you stopped by and raised somebody back to life, we could still go out for a beer afterwards. We could still be friends.

You are the best to mess with, sis.
But seriously, that's pretty much my attitude. I don't react in panic even though I might feel it pass thru me pretty intensely.
I spent a dozen years in a charismatic congregation and explored even the fringe of that scene a bit.
You should stop by. My wife and I have stories you'd love to hear.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Beloved, Let us love one another
Nov 10, 2006
Under the Shadow of the Almighty
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
OK, so my inner contrarian wants to point out the only exception to "every" in scripture might arguably be 'blaspheming the Holy Spirit... I'm just spitballin' here, guessing the context for these statements is the New Testament in its entirety.
So anyway, it would be a positive life changing experience for me to witness a healing miracle I couldn't mistake for anything else, but then I consider healing itself miraculous, so if you stopped by and raised somebody back to life, we could still go out for a beer afterwards. We could still be friends.
Oh indeed would call for a celebration!
I do indeed believe we could do it too! lol
But it would take fasting and prayer for me...

You are the best to mess with, sis.
But seriously, that's pretty much my attitude. I don't react in panic even though I might feel it pass thru me pretty intensely.
I spent a dozen years in a charismatic congregation and explored even the fringe of that scene a bit.
You should stop by. My wife and I have stories you'd love to hear.
I know! ONe of these days I will get over there. Can't wait to hang with you guys.
Meanwhile, you've heard all of my cool stories about healings.. that was while I
was raising my kids and on my knees way too many hours each day.. Or maybe
I've become too cavelier about the "small" miracles.. see now there's an oxymoron
Forgive me Father.. EVERY thing you do is HUGE!
Yeah, @Extraneous made a cool point, we Christians (who have the gift of healing)
should be hanging out more with those who need the fruit of that gift ..
REALLY, you're still a sceptic of healing!
You just need to do one thing @Rick Otto ! Next time you're in pain,
oh gosh.. it's late, I just had my glass of wine.
I'll make a thread soon about healing (when i say soon i mean some day! lol)
Be good to the missus! Hugs

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Faith is a gift from God whether it is for salvation or other things. Do you, your friends, the people that raised you, the people at your church, and your community live in the spirit of faith that is described in the first part of Deuteronomy 28? Should we really be expecting anything from the Lord? All Israel was cursed when a single person/family was disobedient. (Joshua 7) (This is an example of how bad sin is, although it is even worse than this [examine all the consequences of Adam's sin].)

The Law is one form of revelation of God's nature, but if one wants to receive things from him, it is best to stop looking at what "should" and "should not" be done and looking at one's connection to God in terms of a relationship. The perspective of seeking a better "personal relationship" with Christ is the best way to think about your connection to the Lord, because trying to itemize all the good and bad things a person can do in a relationship is too long a list, and in the end would only be a list of rules that we couldn't keep, anyway (in spirit). We are not under Law (any set of rules in this case), but under grace. We can be still be doing "should nots" and God will still bless us.

A two-way successful relationship with anyone requires each of the parties to be giving into the relationship and sacrificing for the other's benefit. God is doing everything right when it comes to his end of every relationship with him, so it is up to us to work on our end. One of the most basic things is to start believing everything God said. If you aren't experiencing what he said, there is another explanation for it (usually something wrong at our end). It's definitely not that he didn't mean what he said, and not usually that we failed to understand what he meant. On the occasions where God has given me a deep understanding of a passage, what I realize is that he meant exactly what he said, and furthermore, I can't think of a way to say it in a way that is any easier to understand.

The bottom line to the issue is: believe what God said and be obedient in everything (Matthew 28:20) to nurture your relationship with him. The more Spiritually mature you become, the more you will understand the issue of receiving healing from God. I would suggest you don't limit yourself to healing. Jesus said many times things like: You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. (John 14:14, 1984 NIV)

So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Luke 11:9-10, 1984 NIV)

You might find it useful to examine the passages in the New Testament that use the word "reward."

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Faith is a gift from God whether it is for salvation or other things. Do you, your friends, the people that raised you, the people at your church, and your community live in the spirit of faith that is described in the first part of Deuteronomy 28? Should we really be expecting anything from the Lord? All Israel was cursed when a single person/family was disobedient. (Joshua 7) (This is an example of how bad sin is, although it is even worse than this [examine all the consequences of Adam's sin].)
Yes, because of Jesus we can expect the blessing (entire blessing) of Abraham.

The Law is one form of revelation of God's nature, but if one wants to receive things from him, it is best to stop looking at what "should" and "should not" be done and looking at one's connection to God in terms of a relationship. The perspective of seeking a better "personal relationship" with Christ is the best way to think about your connection to the Lord, because trying to itemize all the good and bad things a person can do in a relationship is too long a list, and in the end would only be a list of rules that we couldn't keep, anyway (in spirit). We are not under Law (any set of rules in this case), but under grace. We can be still be doing "should nots" and God will still bless us.
BEAUTIFUL!!!
People in GT can tend to be quite sin conscious.
I used to be too! I remember one time I kind of lost
my faith after attending a legalistic church. I had
ZERO faith to pray to God for anything or anyone
because all i could see was how bad I was, rather
than how GOOD, HE IS!

A two-way successful relationship with anyone requires each of the parties to be giving into the relationship and sacrificing for the other's benefit. God is doing everything right when it comes to his end of every relationship with him, so it is up to us to work on our end. One of the most basic things is to start believing everything God said. If you aren't experiencing what he said, there is another explanation for it (usually something wrong at our end). It's definitely not that he didn't mean what he said, and not usually that we failed to understand what he meant. On the occasions where God has given me a deep understanding of a passage, what I realize is that he meant exactly what he said, and furthermore, I can't think of a way to say it in a way that is any easier to understand.
You said it beautifully!
Amen!

The bottom line to the issue is: believe what God said and be obedient in everything (Matthew 28:20) to nurture your relationship with him. The more Spiritually mature you become, the more you will understand the issue of receiving healing from God. I would suggest you don't limit yourself to healing. Jesus said many times things like: You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it. (John 14:14, 1984 NIV)

So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Luke 11:9-10, 1984 NIV)

You might find it useful to examine the passages in the New Testament that use the word "reward."

Thanks for participating in the discussion.
:amen::preach:

Upvote 0

Pamelav

Child of God.
Apr 9, 2012
Usa
✟11,247.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Pamelav. Good to meet you.
I have heard that too.
And I don't believe it.

anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord...

He is able to let us know when He means sinning
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and
to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.10If we say that we have not sinned,
we make Him a liar and His word is not in us.

So it really says that if you're sick, God will raise you up, AND "IF" you have any
sin, He'll forgive you.
Not sure if the "and" is in the greek, but if so, then it makes it even clearer.
Thanks for the post!

I think I am going to do a Greek search for the meaning of that word. That'll hopefully bring clarity to this then.

Upvote 0

sunlover1

Nov 10, 2006
✟94,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think I am going to do a Greek search for the meaning of that word. That'll hopefully bring clarity to this then.
Sure, it seems very clear to me that he's speaking to those who are sick.
Probably because of the different way that they proceed, they're
surely speaking to those who are saved already since they speak
to the 'church' not to the unbelievers.
anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord;...

Would be great to see what you come up with, but God only knows
what it would take to change minds once they're fixed.
Look forward to your reply.

Upvote 0