May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
A lot of stuff in that list helps people and businesses stay afloat. Why the heck are they complaining about funding for the Kennedy Center?
Because it has nothing to do with CV aid.....

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why the heck are they complaining about funding for the Kennedy Center

because the Kennedy Center already gets federal funding each year to pay for the maintenance and operation of the building...

So as far as lost wages how are they more disproportionately affected than any other theater?

The theater in my town is now shut down (by government mandate) and they aren't being singled out for a 35 million bailout on top of federal funds for the maintenance and operation of the building...

it's things like this most people see as ridiculous... let's cover lost wages and make sure all these businesses will still be around when this is over... not just our pet businesses.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Because it has nothing to do with CV aid.....

Really? How do you figure? One of the premiere culture institutions and event venues in the country shuts its doors for an indefinite amount of time putting hundreds, if not thousands, of people out of work and shutting off all the revenue from ticket sales. Performing arts is arguably one of the worst hit sectors in this whole thing - if anybody needs a bail out, it's them.

because the Kennedy Center already gets federal funding each year to pay for the maintenance and operation of the building...

So as far as lost wages how are they more disproportionately affected than any other theater?

The Kennedy Center isn't disproportionately more affected. But your theater isn't directly supported by Congress the way the Kennedy Center is. It's no different than if Congress were to allocate extra money for Yellowstone or the Smithsonian, but not your town park.

The theater in my town is now shut down and they aren't being singled out for a 35 million bailout on top of federal funds for the maintenance and operation of the building...

Hey, if you want to push for more assistance to the performing arts, I'm right behind you.

it's things like this most people see as ridiculous... let's cover lost wages and make sure all these businesses will still be around when this is over... not just our pet businesses.

What do you think this does? Why don't you guys go and read the thing instead of just complaining about it?

JOHN F. KENNEDY CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE

For an additional amount for ‘‘Operations and Maintenance’’, $35,000,000, to remain available until September 30, 2021, for operations and maintenance requirements related to the consequences of coronavirus: Provided, That notwithstanding the provisions of 20 U.S.C. 9 76h et seq., funds provided in this Act shall be made available to cover operating expenses required to ensure the continuity of the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and its affiliates, including for employee compensation and benefits, grants, contracts, payments for rent or utilities, fees for artists or performers, information technology, and other administrative expenses"

Here's the link to the full bill:
https://www.majorityleader.gov/sites/democraticwhip.house.gov/files/COVIDSUPP3_xml.pdf

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The bill includes a bailout for the post office. The Democrats want to force big corporations to have diversity on the corporate board. There are a few parts about voting because that fits in with this pandemic.

Don’t forget retirement plans for local journalists!
Pelosi's So-Called Coronavirus Bill Filled With Pork, Over-Reaching Government
But it's not just pork. Some of the leaders of the obstructionists have openly admitted that this is their chance to fundamentally change America. Some of the stuff that's been demanded is not just pork but such things as will help them win elections, like same-day voter registration nationwide.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But your theater isn't directly supported by Congress the way the Kennedy Center is

The Kennedy Center is a business, while it's a public-private partnership they already get congressional funding to sustain them, as well as private donations etc. on top of their revenue for ticket sales etc.

This is something most theater's don't have in the first place. Most are ran on their own dime, and are dealing with mortgages and employees lost wages and utilities as well while their businesses are equally affected by this virus and the government's reaction to it.

It seems to me the dems are seeking to set up a fascist system and using this virus as a means to do it.

Again, let people go back to work and not do this anymore! If you have no desire to help people, let them be free!

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Kennedy Center is a business, while it's a public-private partnership they already get congressional funding to sustain them, as well as private donations etc. on top of their revenue for ticket sales etc.

And where did all that ticket revenue go? Gone. According to their 2013 form 990, ticket sales and related fees made up about 1/3 of their annual revenues:
http://990s.foundationcenter.org/990_pdf_archive/530/530245017/530245017_201409_990.pdf

And how do you think donations are going to go this year now that the economy is crashing and the stock market has lost 1/3 of its value in the last month?

This is something most theater's don't have in the first place. Most are ran on their own dime, and are dealing with mortgages and employees lost wages and utilities as well when their businesses are equally affected by this virus and the government's reaction to it.

And now those artists are all out of work.

I don't understand your objection - would you prefer that the folks at the Kennedy Center get laid off, too?

It seems to me the dems are seeking to set up a fascist system and using this virus as a means to do it.

It's clear you don't even know what fascism is.

Again, let people go back to work and not do this anymore! If you have no desire to help people, let them be free!

You're complaining about them paying for people to stay employed.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Really? How do you figure? One of the premiere culture institutions and event venues in the country shuts its doors for an indefinite amount of time putting hundreds, if not thousands, of people out of work and shutting off all the revenue from ticket sales. Performing arts is arguably one of the worst hit sectors in this whole thing - if anybody needs a bail out, it's them.
It has NOTHING to do with CV aid. As @Hazelelponi pointed out why should they get preferential treatment compared to all the other theaters that are also closed?....most like because it is in DC and not in Podunk Ohio.....

• Agree
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It has NOTHING to do with CV aid.

This whole thing is an economic bailout package. Bailing out a large cultural institution so it can continue to pay people is perfectly in line with that.

As @Hazelelponi pointed out why should they get preferential treatment compared to all the other theaters that are also closed?....most like because it is in DC and not in Podunk Ohio.....

And I already pointed out why @Hazelelponi is wrong.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
This whole thing is an economic bailout package. Bailing out a large cultural institution so it can continue to pay people is perfectly in line with that.
It is not a bailout; no one is being accused of mismanaging their business and running it into the ground. It is relief aid helping people and businesses through an unexpected natural disaster. Your inability to grasp this is the basis for your incorrect and unjustifiable statements and position.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is not a bailout; no one is being accused of mismanaging their business and running it into the ground. It is relief aid helping people and businesses through an unexpected natural disaster. Your inability to grasp this is the basis for your incorrect and unjustifiable statements and position.

Call it whatever you want. The only way you would be correct would be if some of my rationale had been based on the bad behaviors of the folks receiving money. But none of it was. Er go, your pedantry over the term "bailout" does nothing to counter any of the arguments I've made. You're just handwaving stuff without making a real case.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Loaded with lots of pork for special constituencies. If anyone cares the bill is attached....all 1119 pages of it.....
Never let a crisis go to waste! When the government sees an opportunity to obtain more power they take it. Thing is they will never let go once it gets that power.

Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi displayed that attitude today with her “Take Responsibility for Workers and Families Act.”

Don’t you love the names they give their bills? You cannot vote against it because then you hate workers and families!

The bill does have a few parts that will actually help workers and families:

• $30 billion directly provided to states to help them stabilize their funding for schools.
  • $10 billion to help alleviate the harm caused by the coronavirus on higher education institutions, while providing them with added flexibility to continue operating during the crisis.
  • The legislation also would help current borrowers with their student debt burden and GI Bill benefits.
Pelosi’s press release on the bill only highlights the parts that address those affected by the Wuhan coronavirus pandemic. Even then it leaves out the parts that describe ways the government will continue to impede private businesses.

So let’s look at the pork and big government portions of the bill.

Rachel Bovard at The Conservative Partnership Institute did an excellent job outlining the material not related to coronavirus.

The bill includes a bailout for the post office. The Democrats want to force big corporations to have diversity on the corporate board. There are a few parts about voting because that fits in with this pandemic.

Don’t forget retirement plans for local journalists!
Pelosi's So-Called Coronavirus Bill Filled With Pork, Over-Reaching Government
I read the comments section for this article and it appears that many posters are confused. They think that this bill from Pelosi/the leader of the House is the same bill that is being debated right now in the Senate.
Pelosi's bill is imo, is ridiculous and should be rejected.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Call it whatever you want, your pedantry over the term bailout does nothing to counter any of the arguments I've made.
It changes the entire reason behind the bill......your arguments are simply invalid because you can only seem to think in terms of 'bailout' not 'relief aid'......

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I read the comments section for this article and it appears that many posters are confused. They think that this bill from Pelosi/the leader of the House is the same bill that is being debated right now in the Senate.
Pelosi's bill is imo, is ridiculous and should be rejected.
They may have loaded it down with the pork to use as throwaways knowing it was not going to get approved.....

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Kennedy Center makes 183 million per year. 50 million comes from the federal government. 57 million comes from private donations. 77 million comes from ticket sales etc.

It costs them 161 million to operate every year. Since their only loss will be the 77 million in revenue, and of course they are operating at a profit, we are talking about as a nation covering a solid 7+ months of revenue...

Are we doing that for EVERY theater in the nation that is being adversely affected by the lockdown?

If not, why not?

Why treat one business differently than another, when it's not being affected any more negatively than any other business in the same industry?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It changes the entire reason behind the bill......your arguments are simply invalid because you can only seem to think in terms of 'bailout' not 'relief aid'......

What are you talking about? Does my point change if I think companies accepting "relief aid" should have to file some reports about their corporate statistics? Does it change if I think airlines should have strings attached to "relief aid" related to their carbon footprint? Does my point about not laying off the Kennedy Center workers no longer apply since this is "relief aid" and not a "bailout"? No. Everything in my posts still applies. Your argument is ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,304.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

If the U.S. government is going to shut down industry in the fight against this virus they need to provide relief, otherwise, they need to let Americans get back to work

Now isn't the time for games when a large portion of this country has been forced out of work by its government and now cant manage keeping a roof over their heads.

This is just tyranny at this point.
I agree, but this 25 billion "slush fund" to give money to corporations should have rules tied to it that are expressed in the bill itself.
If you get a mortgage from a bank there are conditions that you must continually meet such as home insurance coverage including liability.

• Agree
Reactions: RocksInMyHead
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree, but this 25 billion "slush fund" to give money to corporations should have rules tied to it that are expressed in the bill itself.
If you get a mortgage from a bank there are conditions that you must continually meet such as home insurance coverage including liability.

Sure but I disagree with the dems conditions...

Take the dems demand greenhouse emission reduction promises (by 2025) for airlines (if I recall correctly) who take federal money to keep paying their employees through this..(otherwise they get no help through the shut down)

That's ridiculous. How about just being able to prove you were negatively affected by the virus and are using the funds to stay afloat and continuing to pay your employees...

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟613,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
What are you talking about? Does my point change if I think companies accepting "relief aid" should have to file some reports about their corporate statistics? Does it change if I think airlines should have strings attached to "relief aid" related to their carbon footprint? Does my point about not laying off the Kennedy Center workers no longer apply since this is "relief aid" and not a "bailout"? No. Everything in my posts still applies. Your argument is ridiculous.
Sorry iluvatar5150 but it is obvious to me that you have no grasp of what this bill is about except to deliver pork to those entities that you approve of; and that is a very weak grasp indeed.....I think we are done here.....

• Agree
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,953.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Kennedy Center makes 183 million per year. 50 million comes from the federal government. 57 million comes from private donations. 77 million comes from ticket sales etc.

It costs them 161 million to operate every year. Since their only loss will be the 77 million in revenue, and of course they are operating at a profit, we are talking about as a nation covering a solid 7+ months of revenue...

By your own numbers, without that $77m, the Kennedy Center will be $55m in the red. Any drop in donations will make that even worse.

Are we doing that for EVERY theater in the nation that is being adversely affected by the lockdown?

If not, why not?

Why treat one business differently than another, when it's not being affected any more negatively than any other business in the same industry?

I already told you why. The Kennedy Center is a special case funded in part by the government and administered by the Smithsonian. The federal government owns the facilities and federal law specifies who certain board members are:
20 U.S. Code Subchapter V - JOHN F. KENNEDY CENTER FOR THE PERFORMING ARTS
https://www.kennedy-center.org/our-story/history/

Upvote 0