KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I would agree to that...

I just don't think this virus should be a way to put businesses out of business if they don't follow our future dictatorial plans for a new fascist society..
Too bad discussions about the bill couldn't use more hyperbole.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
All the people that are laid off get unemployment. That's what unemployment is for. Why does the government HAVE to keep a non-essential thing like this going during these times? People can't go do to crowding restrictions. What's the point?

Why is government stuff more important and vital than anything else? Just cause it's government run? Non essential stuff doesn't need to be fully funded right now. The money should go to essential services and get the economy going so that people CAN get out and start going to the theater, the museum's, concerts and such.
The fact that there are continued attempts to nitpick about 10 million of a 2 trillion bill really shows how little of substance there is to actually complain about.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And you think that somehow all those things are going to have beneficial effect on combating the disruption to society that the corona virus is causing?....that they can't be put off for their own bill at a later time?....

Of course not they would never pass if taken on their merits alone. You need a crisis situation to sneak this kind of thing in without being noticed.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟612,173.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The fact that there are continued attempts to nitpick about 10 million of a 2 trillion bill really shows how little of substance there is to actually complain about.
I think a senator said something similar to that....'a few billion here, a few billion there, pretty soon you are talking real money'......

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,396.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think a senator said something similar to that....'a few billion here, a few billion there, pretty soon you are talking real money'......

I don't see much of the nitpicking addressing the billions going to corporate bailouts, so I'm not sure of the relevance.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟612,173.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't see much of the nitpicking addressing the billions going to corporate bailouts, so I'm not sure of the relevance.
It is not a bailout, it is relief aid.....What good does it do for people to get through this only to find the company they worked for is now gone?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It is not a bailout, it is relief aid.....What good does it do for people to get through this only to find the company they worked for is now gone?

In the contexts of these discussions, the only place where the difference between "bailout" and "relief aid" seems to matter is inside of your imagination. Nobody is making any arguments where that distinction matters.

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,867.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Trump Administration got a provision into the latest version of the Republican coronavirus relief bill to spend $1.75 billion on a new FBI HQ across the street from his hotel in DC. Mitch McConnell claims to have not known it went in.
As Republicans Embrace Cut in Jobless Aid, Divisions Weaken Their Leverage

Complicating the picture, Republicans and the White House continued to bicker over the contents of the package even after it was announced, with Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader, appearing surprised that it included funding for a new F.B.I. building that has long been an obsession of Mr. Trump’s.

“I don’t think there is funding, is there?” Mr. McConnell said to reporters who asked about the money, which is designated as a coronavirus-related emergency in the draft bill. Assured that it was, he said the administration would “have to answer the question on why they insisted on that provision.”

Mr. Meadows and Mr. Mnuchin sought to leave an indelible mark on the package on behalf of Mr. Trump, spending a weekend on Capitol Hill meeting with Senate staff — an unusual step for senior cabinet officials — to hammer out the technical details of the unemployment proposal.

While the two men ultimately agreed to drop demands for a payroll tax cut — a presidential priority dismissed by members of both parties — they succeeded in securing $1.75 billion for the design and construction of a new building for the F.B.I. Headquarters across from Mr. Trump’s luxury hotel in downtown Washington, in which he has repeatedly shown a personal interest.

I await the cries of "waste!" and "inappropriate!" from the crowd who argued so vociferously against funding the Kennedy Center.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Americans in CA. Are all ready back to work. But sadly government workers cant go back to work. Because they deal with disable, elderly , week immune children ,teens and adults.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not claimiing that at all but with the eyes of the country on what is happening in DC you would think that both parties would be working toward helping out the people and business affected rather than trying to score political points with their constituencies.
Please forward your advice to the President. It would be surprising if he shares your desire for the two parties to work together.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
  • Winner
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,939.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Need I remind you that the Senate bill.has deductions for three martini lunches--and no food help for the hungry?

And $2 billion to knock down the FBI HQ and build a new one NEXT DOOR to Trump's hotel--for all.the travelers who go there on business? Other more reasonable locations were tecommended--but none would fill his hotel rooms and put money in his pocket.

The sleaziness of his blatant profiteering during a national crisis nauseated me.

• Winner
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,780.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,780.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Need I remind you that the Senate bill.has deductions for three martini lunches--and no food help for the hungry?

And $2 billion to knock down the FBI HQ and build a new one NEXT DOOR to Trump's hotel--for all.the travelers who go there on business? Other more reasonable locations were tecommended--but none would fill his hotel rooms and put money in his pocket.

The sleaziness of his blatant profiteering during a national crisis nauseated me.
If this nauseates you, you must spent a lot of time puking.

• Haha
Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

It should nauseate you even when there isn't a national crisis.

Upvote 0