An interesting article about Veganism

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030130/hl_nm/infants_diet_dc_1

I love a nice, juicy slab of Prime Rib, so my stand on Veganism should be clear. 

My question for debate: should the mothers be charged with child endangerment, or child neglect because of the effects their actions had on their children?  It's long been known that B12 is critical in developing babies, any OB or pediatrician will tell you from the beginning.  It's long been known where this critical vitamin comes from, so shouldn't the mothers have had the responsibility for ensuring the children got the vitamin either in natural (I know, their beliefs would probably rule this option out) or produced state?  We punish people who malnourish their children, regardless of physical effect.  Now these children have to suffer through developmental hardships because of the mothers' actions (or inactions).  Do you think the mothers should be held liable for this? 

Angel75

Sep 28, 2002
✟805.00
I think if the vegan was well aware of the harm that the lack of B-12 posed, they would have used vitamins to supplement. You can't say they need to be charged with anything without knowing that for sure. Even then, are you going to also enforce legal repercussions for smokers, and coffee drinkers, and other drug users? We dont even do anything about mothers of crack babies, what makes you thinks disciplining the vegans will occur!!!???

Upvote 0

Dewjunkie

Apr 1, 2002
Asheville, NC
Visit site
✟9,428.00
Faith
Christian
I'm all for charging drug users, smokers, caffeine addicts and alchoholics if their actions can be proven to endager a child's well being. I doubt that this will happen, but it probably should. I know from my daughters births that our OB and pedriatrician strongly emphasized to us the importance of B12. I'd be interested to find out if they truly didn't know or just didn't listen to (or believe) the doctors.

Upvote 0

Angel75

Sep 28, 2002
✟805.00
I am pregnant with my second child and B-12 hasnt been mentioned to me either time by the doctors. But then again if i was a vegan, i would hope they would mention it.
And as little respect I have for smokers, etc..during pregnancy, I can't imagine filing charges against them for harming a fetus when it is ok to kill the fetus.
NOT INTERESTED in getting into an abortion debate, just making a point there...

edited to add...apparently you can kill a fetus, but not harm it. hmmmm go figure...
 http://www.drugpolicy.org/law/womenpregnan/whitnervsth_/

Upvote 0