Not open for further replies.

ChileanEldr2004

ChileanElder
Feb 18, 2004
TEXAS
✟15,158.00
Faith
Mormon
:scratch: I was just wondering, because I could be considered ignorant because, I haven't explored a whole lot of other religions, but from all of you out there, who are un-orthodox, or "christian" (according to the definition presented by this forum) what is necessary to be saved? Being saved in the context, what do I have to do, to live with God in the next life, or to live in Heaven with God and Jesus Christ? :confused:

Just an honest question, please respond with your beliefs and everything, thanks!! :D

skylark1

In awesome wonder
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
✟14,176.00
Faith
Christian
Recognize our own sinfulness, and our need for a savior.
Luke 18
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Romans 3
10As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;

Romans 3
23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Turn from our sins; repent.
John 8
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Acts 20
21I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

Believe in Jesus Christ, that is the Son of God, and that he died for your sins on the cross and rose from the dead.
John 3
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Romans 10
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

It is through God's grace and His mercy that we are saved.
I should clarify that "believing in your heart" is a belief that is more than just lip service. It is a belief that makes Jesus Lord of our lives, and acknowledges Him as our Savior. As a result of putting our complete faith in Him, we follow Him. Works are a result of our salvation, not the cause.

Upvote 0

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ChileanEldr2004 said:
:scratch: I was just wondering, because I could be considered ignorant because, I haven't explored a whole lot of other religions, but from all of you out there, who are un-orthodox, or "christian" (according to the definition presented by this forum) what is necessary to be saved? Being saved in the context, what do I have to do, to live with God in the next life, or to live in Heaven with God and Jesus Christ? :confused:

Just an honest question, please respond with your beliefs and everything, thanks!! :D
Complete trust in Jesus to save you and no one or nothing else. It is not enough to just believe Jesus is real and died for you, you must trust Him and him alone to save you to heaven and realize that nothing you can do of your own merit will save you to heaven but only accepting that free gift from God and putting your trust in Jesus will get you to heaven forever to live in the presence of God. You must remain in that "trust" (belief) until the day of your death.

Grace

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Recognize your need and accept God's gift:

Ephesians 2
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Romans 5
15 But not as the offence, so also is the free gift. For if through the offence of one many be dead, much more the grace of God, and the gift by grace, which is by one man, Jesus Christ, hath abounded unto many.

Romans 5
17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Romans 6
23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 John 5
11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

The moment you accept His gift, you are born again.

John 3
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Fruit follows but does not precede the new birth.
just-gift.jpg

Upvote 0

arizona_sunshine

Dec 15, 2003
✟3,323.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
GUIDE TO THE SCRIPTURES
SALVATION

To be saved from both physical and spiritual death. All people will be saved from physical death by the grace of God, through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Each individual can also be saved from spiritual death as well by the grace of God, through faith in Jesus Christ. This faith is manifested in a life of obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel and service to Christ.

The Lord is my light and my salvation, Ps. 27: 1. He only is my rock and my salvation, Ps. 62: 2. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation, Rom. 1: 16 (D&C 68: 4). Work out your own salvation with fear, Philip. 2: 12. God hath chosen you to salvation through sanctification, 2 Thes. 2: 13. Salvation is free, 2 Ne. 2: 4. There is no gift greater than the gift of salvation, D&C 6: 13. Jesus Christ is the only name whereby salvation shall come, Moses 6: 52 (Acts 4: 10-12). We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, A of F 1: 3.

http://scriptures.lds.org/gss/slvtn

From what is written above, and available on the official church websight, the LDS understanding of salvation agrees with that of Christianity. This is the most basic understanding of the Gospel. Christ is the only key to our salvation.

Upvote 0

gort

pedantric
Sep 18, 2003
Visit site
✟26,872.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To be saved from both physical and spiritual death. All people will be saved from physical death by the grace of God, through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Each individual can also be saved from spiritual death as well by the grace of God, through faith in Jesus Christ. This faith is manifested in a life of obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel and service to Christ.
From what is written above, and available on the official church websight, the LDS understanding of salvation agrees with that of Christianity. This is the most basic understanding of the Gospel. Christ is the only key to our salvation.
Hello,

I'm sorry, but this salvation does not agree with the Holy Bible.

<><

Upvote 0

ChileanEldr2004

ChileanElder
Feb 18, 2004
TEXAS
✟15,158.00
Faith
Mormon
happyinhisgrace said:
Complete trust in Jesus to save you and no one or nothing else. It is not enough to just believe Jesus is real and died for you, you must trust Him and him alone to save you to heaven and realize that nothing you can do of your own merit will save you to heaven but only accepting that free gift from God and putting your trust in Jesus will get you to heaven forever to live in the presence of God. You must remain in that "trust" (belief) until the day of your death.

Grace

So would it be okay to say that because we have faith in being saved by his grace, does that lead to good works? Because I know that their are murders that believe in Christ, but they actions don't show that they believe in him?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

happyinhisgrace

Blessed Trinity
Jan 2, 2004
✟19,496.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ChileanEldr2004 said:
So would it be okay to say that because we have faith in being saved by his grace, does that lead to good works? Because I know that their are murders that believe in Christ, but they actions don't show that they believe in him?
Yes faith does lead to good works, we are all individuals and God works in us according to His will and desire for us. As far as murders that believe in Christ, I can't say if they truly are saved or not, only God knows why they murdered or how true their faith was or is in Jesus. A lot of people come to Jesus while in prison too. Do I believe that someone can commit murder, go to prison, accept the Lord and put their trust in him and still go to heaven when they die and forever live with God, yes, I do.

Grace

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
ChileanEldr2004 said:
Murderers are NOT Christians. Saying you believe in Christ and having no fruits result from your faith, shows you are an imposter. No murderer has eternal life abiding in him. However, if the murderer comes to Christ for forgiveness, his sins are no longer imputed to him. He will be born again and will be grafted onto the True Vine.

1 John 3
15 Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him.

1 John 1
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Upvote 0

baker

Aug 5, 2003
Visit site
✟15,819.00
Faith
Christian
ChileanEldr2004 said:
Because I know that their are murders that believe in Christ, but they actions don't show that they believe in him?
Elder,

This is an interesting standard you raise. The "actions" of people to evaluate their belief in Christ. I too would probably place more weight on ones actions as opposed to one's speeches over a period of time. Recognizing, however, that in the end it is up to God to decide and God does allow for forgiveness.

Having said that, can you begin to see why virtually everyone outside the lds church (and perhaps some within), have extreame difficulty in subscribing to the claim that Joseph Smith was a prophet? I truly believe that it is directly related to his "actions". Here are just some of his actions that are well documented in both the lds "Church History" and on the official church website at lds.org:

Smith practiced polygamy which was aginst the law of the land and in violation of your church doctrine at the time.

Smith married women who already had husbands at that time. This is and was adultery.

Smith publicly lied about his actions claiming that he was not an adulterer and that he only had one wife when in fact he was married to several.

The above statements are true and factual and can be supported by your church records. Now, while I believe Smith has every opportunity for receiving God's forgiveness as any other man does, can you see why his "actions" make it difficult for accepting him as a prophet?

Like I said, interesting standard you raise.

Upvote 0

Serapha

Jun 29, 2003
✟6,704.00
Faith
Non-Denom
arizona_sunshine said:
GUIDE TO THE SCRIPTURES

SALVATION

The Lord is my light and my salvation, Ps. 27: 1. He only is my rock and my salvation, Ps. 62: 2. The gospel is the power of God unto salvation, Rom. 1: 16 (D&C 68: 4). Work out your own salvation with fear, Philip. 2: 12. God hath chosen you to salvation through sanctification, 2 Thes. 2: 13. Salvation is free, 2 Ne. 2: 4. There is no gift greater than the gift of salvation, D&C 6: 13. Jesus Christ is the only name whereby salvation shall come, Moses 6: 52 (Acts 4: 10-12). We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, A of F 1: 3.

http://scriptures.lds.org/gss/slvtn

Daneel states....
Hello,

I'm sorry, but this salvation does not agree with the Holy Bible.

Ammon asks....
In what way?

In response to your inquiry...

To be saved from both physical and spiritual death. All people will be saved from physical death by the grace of God, through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
First of all, a woman is not save from both physical and spiritual death through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Her resurrection depends upon her husband calling her "secret" name on the day of resurrection... therefore her salvation (exaltation) is based upon her husband and not upon Christ.

As far as the Bible states,

Mt 7:14Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Each individual can also be saved from spiritual death as well by the grace of God, through faith in Jesus Christ. This faith is manifested in a life of obedience to the laws and ordinances of the gospel and service to Christ.

A description of the "laws and ordinances of the gospel" needs to be defined.

We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, A of F 1: 3.

We believe that through the atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

"laws and ordinances" are not realtive to being "saved", which is a step of "faith" regardless of "works".

"believe on the Lord Jesus Christ...."

It needs to be idenfied that "salvation" is a process and being "saved" is a one-time experience. The process of "salvation" according to the teachings of the CoJCoLDS's does not agree with the process of "salvation" of Christianity.

The same referenced material has a "see notation" to "see" exaltation...

GUIDE TO THE SCRIPTURES
EXALTATION

See also The highest state of happiness and glory in the celestial kingdom.

In thy presence is fulness of joy, Ps. 16: 11. They are gods, even the sons of God—wherefore, all things are theirs, D&C 76: 58-59. The Saints shall receive their inheritance and be made equal with him, D&C 88: 107. These angels did not abide my law; therefore, they remain separately and singly, without exaltation, D&C 132: 17. Men and women must marry according to God’s law in order to gain exaltation, D&C 132: 19-20. Strait is the gate and narrow the way that leadeth unto the exaltation, D&C 132: 22-23. Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob have entered into their exaltation, D&C 132: 29, 37. I seal upon you your exaltation, D&C 132: 49.

There is a big difference between "exaltation" in the LDS's and in salvation in the Bible.

~serapha~

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

12volt_man

Jan 8, 2004
✟9,150.00
Faith
Christian
ChileanEldr2004 said:
Every Christian is a sinner. Remember, we're not Christians bcause we're good people, we're Christians because we needed a Savior.

In Christianity, we believe that anyone who goes to the cross will be saved.

Upvote 0

Shekinahs

Christian=Cross
Nov 23, 2003
✟1,569.00
Faith
Christian
ChileanEldr2004 said:

Well to me the first question is saved from what or whom. Personally I believe the biggest threat to be saved from is ourselves. We tend as a human race to be self-destructive. So I think we need salvation from our tendacy to self destruct. I think the heart and mind has to change and only the divine spirit resideing inside of us can do that. We have to receive the baptism of the Divine Spirit and that IMO can only be done when you accept Christ as LORD. Then you have the spirit guiding within you that will save you.

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Bulldog said:
It sounds like salvation by a combination of faith and works.
Ooooh anti-Catholic fun! And anti-Mormon fun all at once!

edit: Not meant as a flame, but this is your interpretation of the Bible. the Bible can be interpretted to include faith and works. Just because something disagrees with your intrepetation does not mean it is wrong.

Upvote 0

emerald Dragon

Oct 27, 2003
Upstate New York
✟1,562.00
Faith
Mormon
skylark1 said:
Recognize our own sinfulness, and our need for a savior.
Luke 18
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Romans 3
10As it is written: "There is none righteous, no, not one;

Romans 3
23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

Turn from our sins; repent.
John 8
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

Acts 20
21I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus.

Believe in Jesus Christ, that is the Son of God, and that he died for your sins on the cross and rose from the dead.
John 3
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Romans 10
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

It is through God's grace and His mercy that we are saved.
I should clarify that "believing in your heart" is a belief that is more than just lip service. It is a belief that makes Jesus Lord of our lives, and acknowledges Him as our Savior. As a result of putting our complete faith in Him, we follow Him. Works are a result of our salvation, not the cause.
How true. And, as I side note, I m saved.

God Bless,
Emerald Dragon

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.