Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
My first thought is this: with close friends we should be on the same page about Christianity, we should agree on Salvation (accepting Jesus as Lord and Saviour) Baptism (the Bible says to be Baptized, so we should be) and of course believing the Bible is God's Word. 1 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. (And yes, who one marries came to mind, about being unequally yoked, not agreeing that there is a God, that Jesus is Lord)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My first thought is this: with close friends we should be on the same page about Christianity, we should agree on Salvation (accepting Jesus as Lord and Saviour) Baptism (the Bible says to be Baptized, so we should be) and of course believing the Bible is God's Word. 1 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness. (And yes, who one marries came to mind, about being unequally yoked, not agreeing that there is a God, that Jesus is Lord)
It applies to marriage and fellowship more generally, doesn't it? Thanks for your comment.

• Agree
Reactions: saved24
Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Mel333 Hi; FYI...thread I started...

It’s interesting because a while ago I did a study on Amos... Will see if I can find the article, notes on it. I think I was investigating Amos 3:5 at the time.

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@Mel333 Hi; FYI...thread I started...

Article:
Gitay, Y. (1980). A Study of Amos’s Art of Speech: A Rhetorical Analysis of Amos 3:1-15, The Catholic Biblical Quarterly, Vol. 42, no. 3, pp.293-309.

Link: A Study of Amos's Art of Speech: A Rhetorical Analysis of Amos 3:1-15 on JSTOR
(free to read online)

Notes:

P294
Units within themselves are not complete statements. The unity is in the whole, not in the parts. Chain of rhetorical questions

P295
Units are mutually related, each to the other and each to the whole and part of a single discourse. Close relation between 1-2 to v3-8. Cause and effect argument.
V2 the two who go together most likely refers to God and the people of Israel. As for the reason for God’s call upon his people.
V2 does not indicate the people’s sin. Only paves the way for the reference of the divine origin of the catastrophe v6

p297
Amos main effort is to convince his audience that an unbroken relationship exists between their sins and a divinely inspired catastrophe.

Amos sets up a series of relationships which have something in common-cause and effect –the relationship between the lion’s roar and his prey, the capture of a bird and the trap, the sound of the trumpet and the fear of the people, then extends the relationship of cause and effect to the dependency of civil disaster on God v6
V8 The relationship between the lion’s roar and man’s fear is obvious.
Amos main point is a relationship of cause and effect between Israel’s sins and civil disaster that is not shared by the people.

P300 v1 stresses the relationship between God and Israel. God helped Israel in the past and this notion fits with the people’s present conception of God as the one who acts positively towards them. Further developed in v2 but to the chosen people.
P301 V3 God wil punish them for their sins.
Amos establishing a persuasive relationship between God and them.

P303 the second half of each of these questions is constructed negatively in order to reach a positive answer.

P304
Amos leads the audience by an unconventional view about the nature and meaning of God’s relationship and behaviour towards Israel.

P308 Aim overall is that Amos seeks conviction

Gitay (1980) suggests, “the relationship between the lion’s roar and man’s fear, the capture of a bird and the trap, the sound of the trumpet and the fear of the people”, are describing the unbroken relationship that exists between the sin of Israel and disaster.

Overall, to answer the Amos 3:3 question...
Probs best not to interpret it on its own. Amos was talking about sin's relationship with with disaster.

'Can two walk together, except they be agreed?'

On a random note, I find it hard walking together with others if we don't share similar values. lol I reckon the unequally yoked verse in NT would be more appropriate to justify the point.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

This verse would relate to marriage and fellowship than Amos who was convicting people of sin and pairing its relationship with disaster.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Article:
Gitay, Y. (1980). A Study of Amos’s Art of Speech: A Rhetorical Analysis of Amos 3:1-15, The Catholic Biblical Quarterly, Vol. 42, no. 3, pp.293-309.

Link: A Study of Amos's Art of Speech: A Rhetorical Analysis of Amos 3:1-15 on JSTOR
(free to read online)

Notes:

P294
Units within themselves are not complete statements. The unity is in the whole, not in the parts. Chain of rhetorical questions

P295
Units are mutually related, each to the other and each to the whole and part of a single discourse. Close relation between 1-2 to v3-8. Cause and effect argument.
V2 the two who go together most likely refers to God and the people of Israel. As for the reason for God’s call upon his people.
V2 does not indicate the people’s sin. Only paves the way for the reference of the divine origin of the catastrophe v6

p297
Amos main effort is to convince his audience that an unbroken relationship exists between their sins and a divinely inspired catastrophe.

Amos sets up a series of relationships which have something in common-cause and effect –the relationship between the lion’s roar and his prey, the capture of a bird and the trap, the sound of the trumpet and the fear of the people, then extends the relationship of cause and effect to the dependency of civil disaster on God v6
V8 The relationship between the lion’s roar and man’s fear is obvious.
Amos main point is a relationship of cause and effect between Israel’s sins and civil disaster that is not shared by the people.

P300 v1 stresses the relationship between God and Israel. God helped Israel in the past and this notion fits with the people’s present conception of God as the one who acts positively towards them. Further developed in v2 but to the chosen people.
P301 V3 God wil punish them for their sins.
Amos establishing a persuasive relationship between God and them.

P303 the second half of each of these questions is constructed negatively in order to reach a positive answer.

P304
Amos leads the audience by an unconventional view about the nature and meaning of God’s relationship and behaviour towards Israel.

P308 Aim overall is that Amos seeks conviction

Gitay (1980) suggests, “the relationship between the lion’s roar and man’s fear, the capture of a bird and the trap, the sound of the trumpet and the fear of the people”, are describing the unbroken relationship that exists between the sin of Israel and disaster.

Overall, to answer the Amos 3:3 question...
Probs best not to interpret it on its own. Amos was talking about sin's relationship with with disaster.

'Can two walk together, except they be agreed?'

On a random note, I find it hard walking together with others if we don't share similar values. lol I reckon the unequally yoked verse in NT would be more appropriate to justify the point.

2 Corinthians 6:14
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

This verse would relate to marriage and fellowship than Amos who was convicting people of sin and pairing its relationship with disaster.

Hope this helps
V. Interesting; thank-you! :)

I'm familiar with the Socratic dialogue style also; segments of which can be intriguing in quotation; but their overall significance is found in their relation to the dialogue as a whole.

Thank-you again!

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Mel333
Upvote 0

Mel333

May 27, 2019
Brisbane
✟34,753.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
V. Interesting; thank-you! :)

I'm familiar with the Socratic dialogue style also; segments of which can be intriguing in quotation; but their overall significance is found in their relation to the dialogue as a whole.

Thank-you again!

Some other random thoughts:

In a way, this Amos study could be relevant to what’s unfolding around in the world today with the disaster happening... Ie Missing the mark follows disaster.

But we have Jesus who fulfils the Old law if people choose him. So the cause and effect of sin has been paid for by the blood of Christ for those who accept him.

The story can end two ways. Disaster from sin or freedom from the penalty of the old law of sin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Some other random thoughts:

In a way, this Amos study could be relevant to what’s unfolding around us with the disaster happening today... Ie Missing the mark follows disaster.

But we have Jesus who fulfils the Old law if people choose him. So the cause and effect of sin has been paid for by the blood of Christ for those who accept him.

The story can end two ways. Disaster from sin or freedom from the penalty of the old law of sin.
Interesting thoughts; thank-you very much. God bless you and your husband at this difficult time for you.

• Friendly
Reactions: Mel333
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
PS: Great verse there about the Scriptures; Psalm 119.105 and Hebrews 4.12 are others.

Upvote 0

Unapologetically_Wild

Apr 13, 2020
Wautoma
✟12,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello :)
This is my first time reading Amos 3 specifically.
Feels like it's one of those Jewish ways of asking questions not to get an answer but to make a point.

I forgot what they call that, but the rabbis use this often.

And in this case all the examples seem to be a "Action/Reaction" type of setting.
... Would A habben if B did not first happen? Kind of thing. Would the Lords Judment come unless he had warned you first?

It is very interesting for sure!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Feels like it's one of those Jewish ways of asking questions not to get an answer but to make a point.

And in this case all the examples seem to be a "Action/Reaction" type of setting.
... Would A habben if B did not first happen? Kind of thing. Would the Lords Judment come unless he had warned you first?

John's First Epistle speaks of walking in the light with others; similar idea, really...

Upvote 0

Unapologetically_Wild

Apr 13, 2020
Wautoma
✟12,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
John's First Epistle speaks of walking in the light with others; similar idea, really...

Honestly in Context of the Chapter I don't see this conclusion :) But it's nice when a scripture leads you into other contemplations.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Honestly in Context of the Chapter I don't see this conclusion :) But it's nice when a scripture leads you into other contemplations.
@Unapologetically_Wild This is what was referring to, anyway:

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us." (1 John 1.6-8)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

PS: Sounds like you studied writing style in college.

Upvote 0