American protests: Demonstrations, violent riots expected to continue throughout the country

2PhiloVoid

You say you want a revolution? **cough**
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,141,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the article-
Tensions have heightened since federal officials were sent to quell riots in Portland, Oregon

Several cities across America are bracing for more demonstrations and violent rioting this weekend after another night of lawlessness and unrest boiled over into the early hours of Sunday morning, as Antifa and militia groups prepare for further battle against police officers and counter protesters.

Tensions have been heightened at recent demonstrations against racial injustice since federal officials were sent to quell riots in Portland, Ore., that have continued for more than 50 straight days since the May 25 death of George Floyd while in police custody in Minneapolis.

While opposing, heavily armed militia groups in Lousiville, Ky., avoided violence during demonstrations, riots were declared in Portland and Seattle, following a familiar pattern of peaceful protests devolving into destruction and attacks on police.

Continued below.
American protests: Demonstrations, violent riots expected to continue throughout the country

Shall we better define the term "battle" in these cases? I mean, the way these things are being reported, one would think there's a Gettysburg level battle between highly armed armies facing off with one another ...

• Agree
Reactions: Tom 1
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
No, I'm saying that you have thousands of people who want to get to the US and become citizens due to the fact that it is large, free and they will have rights and opportunities that they cannot possibly attain in their countries....

Meanwhile, you have the citizens of the US trying to burn it down, tear it down and are complaining about how terrible it is there.

Maybe these violent looting vandalizing protesters should go live in Syria, Columbia, Mexico.. or some other place that people are leaving to come to a land such as the US....

I share a classroom with a teacher who teaches History. He spent an entire lesson talking about how corrupt and biased the US police were. So I shared with him two experiences I had

1. I was in Mexico and on the bus the guy sitting next to me pointed out this big mansion. It had barbed wire on the walls, there were guards, and he said that it had an indoor tennis court. I asked who lived there, he said "the police chief".

2. I was in Taiwan teaching English and the police would regularly come in to collect the bribe. The owner would have a book showing his payments. It was paying for protection. They call it a "hidden tax".

Why is this the standard by which we ought to be measuring ourselves? Have we given up being the shining city on the hill and we're now content with being less corrupt than failed states overrun with criminals? Land of the free-ish and home of the only-mildly crooked?

You guys like to look down on people who criticize this country, but it's your low standards and acquiescence to incompetence and mediocrity that makes us look far worse than any inward-facing criticism. You should expect better.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I hardly think that Trump, in an election campaign mode, wants civil unrest..

What would benefit him most, from the 99.9% of those sitting at home shaking their heads at the delusional rioters..... is to stop the civil unrest and bring back unity where the Dems are trying to divide, polarize and destroy a nation.
Of course he wants civil unrest. That is the reason he sent paramilitary troops into Portland.

Protests have been happening in Portland since May just like in hundreds of other communities across the nation and they have been peaceful just like in hundreds of other communities across the nation. And poling showed that most American’s supported the protests up to 89% have said that police violence and especially in regards to minorities is a problem and a problem that needs to be addressed. But to no one’s surprise Trump positioned himself on the wrong side of that issue. Trump is not going to come out in favor of social justice and risk alienating the huge number of racists among his supporters. At the same time he is also behind the massive mishandling of the corona virus outbreak with two thirds of the population disapproving of how he has handled things. So there are two major crises happening in our country and Trump has positioned himself on the wrong side of both of them.

So what did he do? It wasn’t take a good long hard look at his policies and admit his failures and start working with the people of this country to address these issues and to seek the safety and well-being of everyone.

As if

Trump needed a distraction, something to make the news media look away from what he is doing and focus on something else entirely. So in June 26 he signs an executive order under the pretense of protecting statues and federal property from destruction. 150,000 Americans are dead but those statues of men who turned traitor to our country and waged war against the United States will be safe.

Then on July 4 federal troops arrived n Portland under the pretense of protecting federal property. The agency tasked with protecting federal property is the Federal Protective Service. But the FPS wasn’t sent to Portland. What got sent to Portland were US Marshals, a unit of customs officials and ICE. These forces are not protecting federal property in Seattle this is a federal court house and a federal building. These troops are patrolling blocks away from the federal property, kidnap protestors and launch tear gas.

So why are these paramilitary troops in Portland? It isn’t to protect federal property. Trump claimed that the protestor’s in Portland were anarchists and they needed to be put down. But the problems in Portland are BECAUSE of the troops Trump sent in. The Portland protests were nothing but peaceful before the troops, not a single violent incident. Before July 4. When pressed the Trump administration admitted the troops were placed in Seattle to prevent graffiti. That is it.

The troops sent in went with the emission to incite violence for the purpose to achive exactly the outcome we are seeing. The distraction of the public from the real problems this country is having

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟571,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Of course he wants civil unrest. That is the reason he sent paramilitary troops into Portland.

He sent in paramilitary because the people in charge there were doing nothing... People were not protected... What would you do? Sit back and let them destroy the place?

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟571,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Why is this the standard by which we ought to be measuring ourselves? Have we given up being the shining city on the hill and we're now content with being less corrupt than failed states overrun with criminals? Land of the free-ish and home of the only-mildly crooked?

You guys like to look down on people who criticize this country, but it's your low standards and acquiescence to incompetence and mediocrity that makes us look far worse than any inward-facing criticism. You should expect better.
What do you mean?

My point was that the people in the US have a great country with freedom, rights and prosperity.. If you want to become something in the US... it is up to you... Same in Canada..

This is evident by the number of people who want to immigrate and become citizens.

Meanwhile.. a small visible fraction of the population of the US.. can do nothing but complain, riot and destroy......

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What do you mean?

My point was that the people in the US have a great country with freedom, rights and prosperity.. If you want to become something in the US... it is up to you... Same in Canada..

This is evident by the number of people who want to immigrate and become citizens.

Meanwhile.. a small visible fraction of the population of the US.. can do nothing but complain, riot and destroy......

Your argument amounted to "Stop complaining because we're not as bad as Syria or Mexico".

It's an absurd standard.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The expression "how corrupt we are" indicates putting the corruption of the US into perspective, which is what I did. If you teach high school students that the US is the most corrupt and biased you have put them into a perspective which is not true. that was the context of JacksBratt post. I never said that the US was a shining light on a hill, nor did I say that is not a worthy goal to aim for. I simply was pointing out that once you start comparing the US to other countries we compare favorably, quite favorably in fact. I could share many more experiences to that fact. You have not done a fair and balanced accounting of my posts, I support the civil rights movement. I am involved in the civil rights movement and have been for quite some time. But misrepresenting the situation and inaccurate claims reflects poorly on those who make them. For a teacher to do that is incompetence.

I am quite comfortable calling sin sin, and there are plenty of sins to point out concerning the US. The Mortgage crisis was a grievous sin on the US government. 9/11 was a grievous sin perpetrated by the US government. But if you think that somehow the US is the bad apple and the rest of the world is not tainted with the same stink you are ignorant.

• Winner
Reactions: Ajax 777
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟571,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Your argument amounted to "Stop complaining because we're not as bad as Syria or Mexico".

It's an absurd standard.
My argument is Stop complaining because you live in one of the best places on earth.

But... you spin it to your liking...

It's like a kid smashing his new BMW because the parents won't let him speed... While the kid next door is driving 82 ....Chevrolet chevette thinks he's crazy... and... he's right.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
He sent in paramilitary because the people in charge there were doing nothing... People were not protected... What would you do? Sit back and let them destroy the place?
The Portland protests were nothing but peaceful before the troops arrived, there was not a single violent incident before July 4.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My argument is Stop complaining because you live in one of the best places on earth.

But... you spin it to your liking...

It's like a kid smashing his new BMW because the parents won't let him speed... While the kid next door is driving 82 ....Chevrolet chevette thinks he's crazy... and... he's right.

A better analogy is the wife who complains that her husband spends all his time and money getting drunk at strip clubs, and the husband tells her to stop complaining because he doesn't beat her up like some of their neighbors do to their wives.

Spin it however you want, your argument is still a cover for mediocrity and abuse. Most of western Europe beats us on a host of metrics that one would use to judge "the best place on earth."

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A better analogy is the wife who complains that her husband spends all his time and money getting drunk at strip clubs, and the husband tells her to stop complaining because he doesn't beat her up like some of their neighbors do to their wives.

Spin it however you want, your argument is still a cover for mediocrity and abuse. Most of western Europe beats us on a host of metrics that one would use to judge "the best place on earth."
What is the point of the protests? Sign a petition, get a referendum on the ballot and change the law. Or run candidates on a platform of reform. If you are tax payers then demand you get your money's worth, if you aren't taxpayers then no one is going to defund the police to let a bunch of thugs take over. Stop whining that no one is looking out for you and stand up for yourself. If you are an abused spouse and your husband is a drunk, leave.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟562,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
What is the point of the protests? Sign a petition, get a referendum on the ballot and change the law. Or run candidates on a platform of reform. If you are tax payers then demand you get your money's worth, if you aren't taxpayers then no one is going to defund the police to let a bunch of thugs take over. Stop whining that no one is looking out for you and stand up for yourself. If you are an abused spouse and your husband is a drunk, leave.

Everybody I've known who's engaged in any protests has done all of those things.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know Michie I just saw Congressman Nadler in a video standing next to a fence being asked about one of the cities and all the violence said.. "thats just a myth in Washington" as he walked away. The guy tried to explain about all the videos :)

I heard Seattle wants to cut the police force by 50% and empty most of the jails ..

the love for many has grown cold.. thanks for posting and sharing this

• Agree
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
What is the point of the protests? Sign a petition, get a referendum on the ballot and change the law. Or run candidates on a platform of reform. If you are tax payers then demand you get your money's worth
that has worked so well so far

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you talking about those in Romania?

I work with people who grew up in Albania, Romania, Estonia and other countries over there... Seems to me that Canada and the US are like heaven compared to their home country.

Pretty sure that the US is like Canada where there are labor laws that state a given amount of time must be paid... usually starts at 4% of your wage and then goes up.

Most of the time you see someone in debt.. it's due to not being educated in financial planning... or they don't plan well after getting the knowledge.

I would guess the people you know left their countries several decades ago. I find it hard to believe that giving up things like unlimited healthcare, a minimum of a month's paid holiday a year and real food would be seen by many people as 'heavenly'. Even the relatively unstable countries in Europe are safer places to live than most states in the US.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟571,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The Portland protests were nothing but peaceful before the troops arrived, there was not a single violent incident before July 4.
Now that's funny.

That's like saying that WWII didn't start until Pearl Harbor.....

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟571,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

So, if the US equates to a neglecting husband...

What country equates to a good husband?

Also, using that analogy... The wife, in hopes to change the ways of her husband "spending all his time and money getting drunk at strip clubs".... She cheats on him, burns his 4 wheeler, sells his golf clubs and puts sugar in the gas tank of his car....???

Ya.... that's the way to do it.....

In the 60's the youth knew the system was flawed.. But, they didn't have a system that would work... to replace it

If you have a concern.. You should not complain to anyone unless you have a solution..

If the solution is to burn down the businesses of people just like you... steel the goods and vandalize the city.... It's not better.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟571,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I would guess the people you know left their countries several decades ago. I find it hard to believe that giving up things like unlimited healthcare, a minimum of a month's paid holiday a year and real food would be seen by many people as 'heavenly'. Even the relatively unstable countries in Europe are safer places to live than most states in the US.
No, they have not been here that long. They do remember those years..

The west was still safer and better than what they were living with since the last 10 to 15 years.

Upvote 0