American Nuns Honor Pro-Abortion Cokie Roberts as Vatican Investigation Continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,723,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Roberts has attacked Pope Benedict XVI as "really lacking in the theological virtue of charity."

August 13, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - While American Catholic nuns continue to undergo scrutiny from a Vatican investigation, the Leadership Conference of Women Religious (LCWR) invited Cokie Roberts, a political commentator who has criticized the Church's prohibition against abortion, contraception, and homosexuality, as the keynote speaker for their annual meeting this week. Another Catholic group, Supporting Our Aging Religious (SOAR), has announced it will host a dinner in honor of Roberts and her husband Steve in November of this year.

CokieRoberts.jpg

New Orleans native Cokie Roberts spoke at the LCWR summit in the same city Tuesday, according to a Times-Picayune report.

Cokie Roberts, a Roman Catholic, is an ABC News political commentator and National Public Radio senior news analyst who has spoken out against laws restricting abortion. Roberts characterized the partial-birth abortion ban as "cynical game-playing" by pro-life activists, and said she found it "offensive as a woman" that the Supreme Court upheld the ban in 2007.

In a 2006 column, Roberts also ridiculed bishops who proclaim the Catholic Church's teaching against contraception and homosexuality. "It's as if they are asking to be ignored," she wrote. Roberts also attacked Pope Benedict XVI as "really lacking in the theological virtue of charity."

Ironically, LCWR's president indicated discussion at the four-day summit would likely focus on the apostolic visitation Rome initiated earlier this year, which will examine the orders' work and life in light of authentic Catholic Church teaching.

LCWR president Sister J. Lora Dambroski indicated that the leaders had closed ranks in reaction to the visitation, and might issue an official rejoinder.

"This will be an opportunity to be who we are and to speak our truth, not to back away from that, and to understand what our common response will be," she said. "It's a good chance for the sisters to be honest and to tell the story of who we are without fear."

While "we don't want to be in a defensive posture," said the nun, "we have to clearly be who we are."

In addition, the non-profit organization Save Our Aging Religious has announced that its next event will be a Washington D.C. benefit dinner on November 7 to honor Cokie and Steve Roberts with their Elizabeth Ann Seton Award. SOAR is chaired by D.C.'s Monsignor John J. Enzler.

To respectfully express concern:

Archdiocese of Washington, D.C.
Most Reverend Donald W. Wuerl
P.O. Box 29260
Washington, DC 20017-0260

Rev. Adam Park
Secretary to the Archbishop
301-853-4500

Rev. Msgr. John Enzler
Vicar for Development
301-853-4375

Support Our Aging Religious
900 Varnum Street, NE
Washington, DC 20017
phone: 202-529-7627 o 800-403-7627
fax: 202-529-7633
email: info@soar-usa.org

See related LifeSiteNews.com coverage:
U.S. Feminist Nun Urges Liberal Religious Orders to Resist "Hostile" Vatican Visitation

NETWORK's Sr. Campbell Backs Ryan-DeLauro "Planned Parenthood Bailout Bill"

American Nuns Honor Pro-Abortion Cokie Roberts as Vatican Investigation Continues

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,098,055.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Would you have preferred Governor Jindal as their keynote speaker?

Of course, if they had had the opportunity to spend some time with him, they might have been a good influence on him, and might have made him a little more sensitive to the many social problems in his state.

That alone might have been worth their asking him. But I don't think they would have agreed with a lot of what he had to say.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟445,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
... and to speak our truth

That about sums it up - their idea of truth should be added.

American nuns have been passing out literature to abortion clinics since the 80's telling women it is ok to abort. Last i knew, they were excommunicated. And one order has returned in full contrition.

IF only they were like the less known ..........
Dominican Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Eucharist
WHO btw - upon reciept i received in the mail, are saying they have grown and more nuns in their 20's are joining.

Love To Be Catholic - Catholic Videos

I feel sorrow for those who allow the world to come to the door and invite it in, and then attack the Pope... just a shame, really.

:crossrc:

May the Lord give more fruits to the Sister of Mary Mother of the Eucharist.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟445,871.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Would you have preferred Governor Jindal as their keynote speaker?

Of course, if they had had the opportunity to spend some time with him, they might have been a good influence on him, and might have made him a little more sensitive to the many social problems in his state.

That alone might have been worth their asking him. But I don't think they would have agreed with a lot of what he had to say.

Fantine my friend, I know you are better than saying they would teach someone to be compassionate about the social problems. As tho the problems are in the Church and not the world.

The social problems are in fact disregard for life, including the contraception that the early fathers have said - is murder before a child is conceived.

Leave the world to it's own demise, and come out of her.

Blessings.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

elliott95

JESUS PRAISER
Nov 9, 2003
Seattle
✟22,320.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Another Catholic group, Supporting Our Aging Religious (SOAR), has announced it will host a dinner in honor of Roberts ....
The support for the aged has always come from the upcoming generations entering the work force.
It is a little hard to find people to support you in your old age if you don't have any children of your own and actively encourage your neighbours to kill their own.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,098,055.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Fantine my friend, I know you are better than saying they would teach someone to be compassionate about the social problems. As tho the problems are in the Church and not the world.

The social problems are in fact disregard for life, including the contraception that the early fathers have said - is murder before a child is conceived.

Leave the world to it's own demise, and come out of her.

Blessings.

I would rephrase that statement to: One of the social problems is disregard for life...

And so hey, wouldn't it be great if you could get Governor Jindal, who cares about one of the social problems, to get on board with the other 95%?

Upvote 0
K

KeenanParkerII

How's we get on Jindal???

He has nothing to do with the op.
Fixed for observing the red herring.

Considering how many interesting keynote speakers there are out there, it makes one wonder what exactly the LCWR is thinking choosing such an abrasive speakers. I am no doubt in complete ignorance of the situation, but it looks like a thumb in the eye of the Vatican to me.

I wonder what our Bright Morning Star, Lord of all creation, would think of this.. *Scratches Chin* Food for thought. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

elliott95

JESUS PRAISER
Nov 9, 2003
Seattle
✟22,320.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How you are fallen from heaven, O Day Star, son of Dawn! How you are cut down to the ground, you who laid the nations low! 13 You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to heaven; above the stars of God I will set my throne on high; I will sit on the mount of assembly in the far north; 14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will make myself like the Most High.’ 15 But you are brought down to Sheol, to the depths of the Pit. 16 Those who see you will stare at you, and ponder over you: ‘Is this the man who made the earth tremble, who shook kingdoms, 17 who made the world like a desert and overthrew its cities, who did not let his prisoners go home?’
The bright morning star that Isaiah mentions I am sure would concur with the nuns decision.
They may end up being even less pelased than he was though, of there is any kind of prophetic meaning to these verses about people overstepping their bounds.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,098,055.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Could they have chosen Cokie Roberts because she has more understanding and appreciation of all they have done than the Vatican does?

Ms. Roberts told the press:

“The document that the Vatican has sent out says that the visitation is aimed at looking at the quality of life of women religious in the United States. I think one measurement of that quality of life is the quality of lives they have affected,” she said after her address.
“Every day they benefit thousands of lives in this country, whether it’s through schools or through hospitals or through missions with the elderly, the poor or the prisons –– all of the things where they basically are taking the words of Jesus and acting on them.”
Roberts said the nuns she spoke with at the conference did not really understand why the Vatican had requested the apostolic visitation, which is being directed by Mother Mary Clare Millea, superior general of the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
“Puzzlement is the word,” Roberts said. “Here they are, all day, every day, trying to serve the people of God, and suddenly they feel like they’re under investigation. Sure, there’s concern.”

Florida Catholic | Cokie Roberts to women religious: 'Point to your works'

Ms. Roberts "gets it." She "gets them."

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Could they have chosen Cokie Roberts because she has more understanding and appreciation of all they have done than the Vatican does?

That statement is so sad it is funny. As long as someone validates their disobedience they understand more than the Vatican.

Mean old Vatican. Being all Catholic and holding us to our Faith. The Faith of the Church.

Mean old stinky heads. Valuing the authentic expression Faith Christ has used to save millions over the current social views of Cokie Roberts.

You know the difference between Nuns and social workers? Priests and social workers? Vows. Vows that keep them faithful to the heart on compassion and not some transitory modernistic view of it.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,098,055.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And what I am saying, David, is that while there may be a few individual sisters who might be expressing opinions about things like women's ordination that are contrary to the Vatican, those women are representing themselves and not their orders.

As a matter of fact, since the LCWR represents (I've read) 95% of the sisters in the US, you are saying, in effect, that 95% of the sisters in the US are "disobedient social workers" and I think even you know that that's just hogwash.

This is a personal issue for me, because the pastoral minister of a parish I was a member of for seven years went on to lead the LCWR, and she was one of the most wonderful sisters I have ever known. The entire parish adored her.
She was no shrinking violet but she was a deeply spiritual person who led many people to a deeper faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
And what I am saying, David, is that while there may be a few individual sisters who might be expressing opinions about things like women's ordination that are contrary to the Vatican, those women are representing themselves and not their orders.

As a matter of fact, since the LCWR represents (I've read) 95% of the sisters in the US, you are saying, in effect, that 95% of the sisters in the US are "disobedient social workers" and I think even you know that that's just hogwash.

This is a personal issue for me, because the pastoral minister of a parish I was a member of for seven years went on to lead the LCWR, and she was one of the most wonderful sisters I have ever known. The entire parish adored her.
She was no shrinking violet but she was a deeply spiritual person who led many people to a deeper faith.

What I am saying is Cokie Roberts has no place telling the Vatican what criteria they should be using for evaluation.

And I never called them "disobedient social workers" Quote marks are used for exact quotes...not your extrapolations.

The majority of nuns are awesome. But there has been a growing systemic problem with those who want to influence the orders toward modernism. The Vatican is addressing that. As is not only their right, but duty.

Reactions: Gwendolyn
Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

elliott95

JESUS PRAISER
Nov 9, 2003
Seattle
✟22,320.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I apologize for the miss-understanding Elliot; I was referring to the title of Jesus as posted in another thread. :)

I understood your point.:)

Much like Isaiah was mocking the King of Babylon's pretension to be a god and to take on the title, I just took the opportunity you opened up with your statement to demonstrate how certain Catholics pretty much take on the same role for themselves as did the King of Babylon in Isaiah's time by placing themselves above the Church's teaching.

Just keeping it biblical.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,098,055.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The majority of nuns are awesome.

Thank you for acknowledging that.

Awesome and human.

When I was reading about what led up to the visitation, it seemed as if about 7 years ago the USCCB told the LCWR that they should be more outspoken and active in opposing women's ordination and supporting socially conservative goals.

They weren't asking for "obedience," they were asking for cheerleaders to promote the bishops' priorities.

As a human, I can fully understand how the LCWR could have been "obedient" but had the wisdom not to become "cheerleaders."

Cheerleading that is coerced always comes off badly. It seems insincere to everyone who hears it, and then the people who hear it usually feel angry towards the coercers...

And here's the LCWR trying its darndest to be obedient even with the hardest issues to be obedient to, and the USCCB asks for cheerleading. Advertising. Outspokenness about things they are believing in obedience while in many of their hearts it doesn't make a darn bit of sense.

And, so perhaps when the visitation is done, the LCWR will bow their heads and shuffle their feet and mutter a halfhearted "sorry" under their breath....

And then they will cheerlead for things they are struggling to be halfheartedly in support of.

And the bottom line will be that the Church will come off as oppressive to the very Catholics it's trying to turn around to its point of view.

But hey, it's their call.

I think the LCWR was wise to be obedient without being outspoken about it.

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for acknowledging that.

Awesome and human.

When I was reading about what led up to the visitation, it seemed as if about 7 years ago the USCCB told the LCWR that they should be more outspoken and active in opposing women's ordination and supporting socially conservative goals.

They weren't asking for "obedience," they were asking for cheerleaders to promote the bishops' priorities.

As a human, I can fully understand how the LCWR could have been "obedient" but had the wisdom not to become "cheerleaders."

Cheerleading that is coerced always comes off badly. It seems insincere to everyone who hears it, and then the people who hear it usually feel angry towards the coercers...

And here's the LCWR trying its darndest to be obedient even with the hardest issues to be obedient to, and the USCCB asks for cheerleading. Advertising. Outspokenness about things they are believing in obedience while in many of their hearts it doesn't make a darn bit of sense.

And, so perhaps when the visitation is done, the LCWR will bow their heads and shuffle their feet and mutter a halfhearted "sorry" under their breath....

And then they will cheerlead for things they are struggling to be halfheartedly in support of.

And the bottom line will be that the Church will come off as oppressive to the very Catholics it's trying to turn around to its point of view.

But hey, it's their call.

I think the LCWR was wise to be obedient without being outspoken about it.
Female priests are not any creature's call to make.

Sister's for whom this is a major issue want things to change, rather than leaving the nature of the Church as it was left to us, and this becomes a major distraction and takes away from their mission.

If people simply reject something the Church isn't supposed to tip toe around the issue or make it ambiguous.

And I think you're very strongly over-reaching to say that the majority of sisters would not appreciate a visitation... or that they're going to shuffle around or whatever. I think that that's offensive.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.